JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

FCS Ranking Composite as of Now

Post by JohnStOnge »

SEE POST FARTHER DOWN THE LINE FOR UPDATE
Last week when I posted this it included 44 rating systems and polls. Right now it's using 42 systems and polls. I figure I'll go ahead and post it as it's not likely a handful of additional systems will make a difference in the positions. So here we go with top 25 teams and conference rankings from http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:

TEAMS

1. North Dakota State (5-0)
2. Towson (6-0)
3. Northern Iowa (4-1)
4. Eastern Illinois (4-1)
5. Maine (5-1)
6. McNeese State (5-1)
7. Coastal Carolina (5-0)
8. Sam Houston State (4-1)
9. VIllanova (3-2)
10. Fordham (6-0)
11. Bethune-Cookman (4-1)
12. Harvard (3-0)
13. Youngstown State (5-1)
14. Eastern Washington (3-2)
15. Montana State (4-2)
16. Montana (4-1)
17. Tennessee State (5-1)
18. William & Mary (3-1)
19. Jacksonville State (5-1)
20. Yale (3-0)
21. Old Dominion (4-2)
22. Northern Arizona (3-2)
23. Samford (4-2)
24. Southern Illinois (3-3)
24. South Dakota State (3-3)

CONFERENCES

1. Colonial Athletic Association
2. Missouri Valley
3. Southland
4. Ohio Valley
5. BIg Sky
6. Ivy League
7. Southern
8. Big South
9. Patriot League
10. Mid Eastern Athletic
11. Independents
12. Northeast
13. Southwestern Athletic
14. Pioneer
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Keeper
I am a fan of: any team versus SoCal
A.K.A.: a thread killer

Re: FCS Ranking Composite as of Now

Post by Keeper »

Good posting every week, John.

To my mind tho, Yale is the biggest surprise thus far, eh?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

To me the biggest surprise is how down the Southern appears to be. The composite only has one Southern Conference team in the top 25 and it's just barely there. Samford is at 23. And, actually, Samford was beaten at home by Southeastern Louisiana without its starting quarterback (who is an Oregon transfer that looks dominant at the FCS level). It's like the football gods punished Georgia Southern and Appalachian State for deciding to go to FBS.

One may be skeptical about some of the specifics of the composite. Like I'm skeptical about Bethune-Cookman being better than anybody in the Big SKy. But there's no doubt that the Southern is way down this year.
Could I ever be a star?

dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Keeper wrote:Good posting every week, John.

Too bad the Ivy league will not be in the playoffs would love to see how the Bulldogs would fare vs the 1-AA powers in November.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote:To me the biggest surprise is how down the Southern appears to be. The composite only has one Southern Conference team in the top 25 and it's just barely there. Samford is at 23. And, actually, Samford was beaten at home by Southeastern Louisiana without its starting quarterback (who is an Oregon transfer that looks dominant at the FCS level). It's like the football gods punished Georgia Southern and Appalachian State for deciding to go to FBS.

One may be skeptical about some of the specifics of the composite. Like I'm skeptical about Bethune-Cookman being better than anybody in the Big SKy. But there's no doubt that the Southern is way down this year.
This. How can you rank the SoCon above the Big South when the Big South has been beating them. AFter CSU beat AppState, this should've been a no brainer.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Well now includes 46 rating systems and polls and things did change a little. Below is how it looks now. Blue text indicates teams or conferences at different rankings than they were at yesterday when it included 42 rating systems and polls. Yale and South Dakota State dropped out of the top 24 while Wofford and Southeastern Louisiana moved in.

I guess I'll have to figure out how long I need to wait until the thing is final for the week.

TEAMS

2. Towson (6-0)
3. Northern Iowa (4-1)
5. Maine (5-1)
6. McNeese State (5-1
7. Sam Houston State (4-1)
8. Coastal Carolina (5-0)

9. VIllanova (3-2)
10. Fordham (6-0)
11. Harvard (3-0)
12. Bethune-Cookman (4-1)

15. Montana State (4-2)
16. Montana (4-1)
18. William & Mary (3-1)
20. Old Dominion (4-2)
21. Samford (4-2)
22. Southern Illinois (3-3_)
23. Northern Arizona (3-2)
24. Wofford (3-2)
25. Southeastern Louisiana (3-3)

CONFERENCES

2. Missouri Valley
3. Southland
4. Ohio Valley
5. BIg Sky
6. Southern
7. Ivy Leauge

8. Big South
9. Patriot
10. Independents
11. Mid Eastern Athletic

12. Northeast
14. Pioneer
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

How can you rank the SoCon above the Big South when the Big South has been beating them.
I'm thinking because it's likely an average of ratings and the teams at the bottom of the Big South drag the conference average down enough to cause that. There are 127 FCS teams listed. Presbyterian is currently rated 114 and VMI is rated 121. There are only six teams in the Big South so that's a third of the league way down there near the bottom. Mathematically that would have a big impact on the average. Lowest rated Southern Conference team is Western Carolina at 99.

Currently, with 46 systems included, Bottom third of the Southern would be App State (74), Elon (83), and Western Carolina (99).

Do the math and you get an average of 85.3 for the bottom third of the Southern vs. an average of 117.5 for the bottom third of the Big South. Not hard to see that if the conference strength ratings are based on some kind of an average those bottom two Big South teams are going to drag things down for that conference.
Could I ever be a star?

Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

I'm going to the Montana @ Maine playoff game.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

dal4018 wrote:
Keeper wrote:Good posting every week, John.

Too bad the Ivy league will not be in the playoffs would love to see how the Bulldogs would fare vs the 1-AA powers in November.
Not well. :coffee:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Cap'n Cat wrote:I'm going to the Montana @ Maine playoff game.
Otherway around, Cappy. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote:
How can you rank the SoCon above the Big South when the Big South has been beating them.
I'm thinking because it's likely an average of ratings and the teams at the bottom of the Big South drag the conference average down enough to cause that. There are 127 FCS teams listed. Presbyterian is currently rated 114 and VMI is rated 121. There are only six teams in the Big South so that's a third of the league way down there near the bottom. Mathematically that would have a big impact on the average. Lowest rated Southern Conference team is Western Carolina at 99.

Currently, with 46 systems included, Bottom third of the Southern would be App State (74), Elon (83), and Western Carolina (99).

Do the math and you get an average of 85.3 for the bottom third of the Southern vs. an average of 117.5 for the bottom third of the Big South. Not hard to see that if the conference strength ratings are based on some kind of an average those bottom two Big South teams are going to drag things down for that conference.
So, who is rating the SoCon teams that high? It'll be so good to have VMI out of the Big South.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

Updated:

1 Missouri Valley
2 Colonial
3 Southland
4 OH Valley
5 Big Sky
6 Southern
7 Ivy League
8 Patriot League
9 Big South
10 Northeast
11 FCS Indep
12 Mid-Eastern AC
13 Pioneer
14 Southwestern AC
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

skinny_uncle wrote:Updated:

1 Missouri Valley
2 Colonial
3 Southland
4 OH Valley
5 Big Sky
6 Southern
7 Ivy League
8 Patriot League
9 Big South
10 Northeast
11 FCS Indep
12 Mid-Eastern AC
13 Pioneer
14 Southwestern AC
Other than a really good EIU, how can the OVC be rated above the BSC? TSU has a nice record but where are the quality wins?
Theee Catrabbit
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SDSU

Post by Theee Catrabbit »

JohnStOnge wrote:Well now includes 46 rating systems and polls and things did change a little. Below is how it looks now. Blue text indicates teams or conferences at different rankings than they were at yesterday when it included 42 rating systems and polls. Yale and South Dakota State dropped out of the top 24 while Wofford and Southeastern Louisiana moved in.

I guess I'll have to figure out how long I need to wait until the thing is final for the week.

TEAMS

2. Towson (6-0)
3. Northern Iowa (4-1)
5. Maine (5-1)
6. McNeese State (5-1

9. VIllanova (3-2)
10. Fordham (6-0)
11. Harvard (3-0)

15. Montana State (4-2)
16. Montana (4-1)
18. William & Mary (3-1)
20. Old Dominion (4-2)
21. Samford (4-2)
24. Wofford (3-2)

CONFERENCES

2. Missouri Valley
3. Southland
4. Ohio Valley
5. BIg Sky
6. Southern
7. Ivy Leauge

8. Big South
9. Patriot
10. Independents
11. Mid Eastern Athletic

12. Northeast
14. Pioneer

So......just to clarify SELA moves in front of SDSU.....a team State beat in head to head matchups? On the other hand I'm glad it counts as a quality win, sort of.....since it doesn't appear we are getting credit for beating them........
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

So......just to clarify SELA moves in front of SDSU.....a team State beat in head to head matchups? On the other hand I'm glad it counts as a quality win, sort of.....since it doesn't appear we are getting credit for beating them........
Teams get ranked behind teams they beat head to head all the time. It's going to be interesting to see, for instance, if McNeese State moves ahead of Northern Iowa in the polls and/or the power ratings now that Northern Iowa lost a second consecutive game after not only beating McNeese State but really clobbering the Cowboys.

Of course if it happens that might not last long as McNeese State plays Sam Houston State next.
Could I ever be a star?

slulionsfan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southeastern Louisiana

Post by slulionsfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
To clarify, we beat ourselves vs SDSU with six turnovers and 12 penalties, several which either killed potential scoring drives or kept SDSU drives alive. We win by solid double figures if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. Don't get me wrong, SDSU has a solid team and found a way to win, but we would love to play them again.
Theee Catrabbit
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SDSU

Post by Theee Catrabbit »

slulionsfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
To clarify, we beat ourselves vs SDSU with six turnovers and 12 penalties, several which either killed potential scoring drives or kept SDSU drives alive. We win by solid double figures if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. Don't get me wrong, SDSU has a solid team and found a way to win, but we would love to play them again.
yes...the opposing team never causes turnovers, those rushed passes intercept themselves. I have no problem playing SLU again seems to be a fairly easy win every year :coffee: Of course if I was you I would want to play us too, evidently you can lose by double digits, look like shit in the process, be in a weaker division and still end up in the power rankings. Imagine if you had won............thanks for the clarification on your team :ohno:
slulionsfan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southeastern Louisiana

Post by slulionsfan »

Theee Catrabbit wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:
yes...the opposing team never causes turnovers, those rushed passes intercept themselves. I have no problem playing SLU again seems to be a fairly easy win every year :coffee: Of course if I was you I would want to play us too, evidently you can lose by double digits, look like **** in the process, be in a weaker division and still end up in the power rankings. Imagine if you had won............thanks for the clarification on your team :ohno:
Not sure what game you watched ... I'll give the Jacks credit for forcing two of the six turnovers, but four were flat out giveaways including one that should have been an easy TD for us on an underthrow. Not to mention we fumble inside your ten (credit the Jacks for ripping the ball out) with a chance to go up 17-0, and another while driving deep in your territory when we had a bad handoff exchange. We should have scored 50 as easy as we were moving the ball up and down the field.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Theee Catrabbit wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:Well now includes 46 rating systems and polls and things did change a little. Below is how it looks now. Blue text indicates teams or conferences at different rankings than they were at yesterday when it included 42 rating systems and polls. Yale and South Dakota State dropped out of the top 24 while Wofford and Southeastern Louisiana moved in.

TEAMS

2. Towson (6-0)
3. Northern Iowa (4-1)
5. Maine (5-1)
6. McNeese State (5-1

9. VIllanova (3-2)
10. Fordham (6-0)
11. Harvard (3-0)

15. Montana State (4-2)
16. Montana (4-1)
18. William & Mary (3-1)
20. Old Dominion (4-2)
21. Samford (4-2)
24. Wofford (3-2)

CONFERENCES

2. Missouri Valley
3. Southland
4. Ohio Valley
5. BIg Sky
6. Southern
7. Ivy Leauge

8. Big South
9. Patriot
10. Independents
11. Mid Eastern Athletic

12. Northeast
14. Pioneer

Welcome to the club - NAU kicked the shit out of Montana, yet are ranked below them.
:thumb:
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

dbackjon wrote:
Theee Catrabbit wrote:

Welcome to the club - NAU kicked the shit out of Montana, yet are ranked below them.
Again, if we played you again right now, we'd have the game won by the third quarter.

Every objective fan can admit that we just weren't ready to play that game.

We'll be glad to prove it if you guys somehow make the playoffs. :coffee:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

dbackjon wrote:
Theee Catrabbit wrote:

Well maybe you shouldn't have gotten your shit pushed in by UA and MSU. These rankings are based on more than just one game, as I'm sure you realize. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Well maybe you shouldn't have gotten your shit pushed in by UA and MSU. These rankings are based on more than just one game, as I'm sure you realize. :coffee:
He's trolling. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

uofmman1122 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Again, if we played you again right now, we'd have the game won by the third quarter.

Every objective fan can admit that we just weren't ready to play that game.

We'll be glad to prove it if you guys somehow make the playoffs. :coffee:

There is no way to prove that. You got rolled. The shit kicked out of you. Face it, the BETTER TEAM WON.

Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Grizalltheway wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

If only we'd played a tough team like Panhandle State instead of U of A.

And let's see how you do against the Kitties first. Your five wins are against teams with a combined 5 DI full schollie wins. The only team with a winning record you have faced, you got rolled.

BTW - I have been saving all these responses for years - they are all basically Montana poster quotes ;)
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

dbackjon wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:

If only we'd played a tough team like Panhandle State instead of U of A.

And let's see how you do against the Kitties first. Your five wins are against teams with a combined 5 DI full schollie wins. The only team with a winning record you have faced, you got rolled.

BTW - I have been saving all these responses for years - they are all basically Montana poster quotes ;)
Outside of catching us on an off night, your oh so impressive resume is as follows:

An 11 point win against UC Davis, a team the Griz just obliterated.
A six point win at home over USD.
And a one point squeaker over a mediocre Sac team that choked harder than Travis on a...never mind.

Yeah, we haven't played the most impressive schedule, but dominated every team we've beat in all phases of the game. The same can definitely NOT be said of NAU. :thumb: