VMI, ETSU and Mercer on their way to the SoCon

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: VMI, ETSU and Mercer on their way to the SoCon

Post by 93henfan »

Whew. Now I don't feel so bad about the riff raff being let in the CAA nowadays.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

So who are you going to add to make 12 besides those 3 since Davidson is now gone? http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ource-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kennesaw St. or a bball school like UNCA or High Point. Those are the names I've heard.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:So who are you going to add to make 12 besides those 3 since Davidson is now gone? http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ource-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kennesaw St. or a bball school like UNCA or High Point. Those are the names I've heard.
Kennesaw St is a name that frequently comes up around here. :coffee:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

Ibanez wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:So who are you going to add to make 12 besides those 3 since Davidson is now gone? http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ource-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kennesaw St is a name that frequently comes up around here. :coffee:
well if they take KSU then Mercer wouldn't need to go to scholly fb, if they did only UNCG would be w/o fb. If they like the 10/2 setup then High Point or UNCA is the call as long as Mercer commits to scholly fb.

Kennesaw St. would then end up in the SoCon replacing VMI and the Big South would have to look at another ASUN school like USC-Upstate or go west and take UNA who wants to move to D-I.
catdaddy2402
I am a fan of: SC FCS Teams

Post by catdaddy2402 »

CID1990 wrote:
catdaddy2402 wrote:
Both may have FBS aspirations but neither has a conference that is going to add them anytime in the near future. The only conference that Jax St has any chance of joining is the Sun Belt and there is no way they are going to add a 3rd school in Alabama. Liberty has even less of a chance than Jax St.
Nobody has any way of knowing that. The SoCon needs to be looking 10 or more years into the future, and any team that has even sniffed a possible move is going to lessen its chances.

Sent from the center of the universe.
Well, in less than 10 years the SoCon will be a one bid, first round league if you are depending on startups like Mercer, UTC, and Kennesaw State and a school that hasn't had a winning season since 1981 like VMI.

This may very well be the biggest self-inflicted damage the SoCon has done since 1952.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

catdaddy2402 wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Nobody has any way of knowing that. The SoCon needs to be looking 10 or more years into the future, and any team that has even sniffed a possible move is going to lessen its chances.

Well, in less than 10 years the SoCon will be a one bid, first round league if you are depending on startups like Mercer, UTC, and Kennesaw State and a school that hasn't had a winning season since 1981 like VMI.

This may very well be the biggest self-inflicted damage the SoCon has done since 1952.
And adding one and done, barely squeaking by Furman CCU will prevent that from happening. I get it.

You also have no way of knowing that. The number 3, 4 and 5 schools in the SoCon would have done no worse in the playoffs this past year than ASU.

We'll risk the doom and destruction.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
catdaddy2402 wrote:

And adding one and done, barely squeaking by Furman CCU will prevent that from happening. I get it.

You also have no way of knowing that. The number 3, 4 and 5 schools in the SoCon would have done no worse in the playoffs this past year than ASU.

You're such a baby. CCU has beaten Furman in 2011 and 2012. What's your problem with CCU?
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

The SoCon loses two of its best football programs and two of its better basketball programs in 6 months, but you get bashed over at AGS if you portray it at all as a negative. :rofl:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

So, was GSU just waiting to become relevant again to bolt? :? :?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

VMI, ETSU and Mercer on their way to the SoCon

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

You're such a baby. CCU has beaten Furman in 2011 and 2012. What's your problem with CCU?
They're in SC. If they were in NC, the SC schools would be voting for.

Aside from that, the assumption that CCU must become a member of the SoCon or the conference will die.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
Ibanez wrote: You're such a baby. CCU has beaten Furman in 2011 and 2012. What's your problem with CCU?
They're in SC. If they were in NC, the SC schools would be voting for.

Aside from that, the assumption that CCU must become a member of the SoCon or the conference will die.
Location? That's it? I've said that I agreed with that. :thumb:
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

UNCA to the SoCon?

http://www.blackmountainnews.com/articl ... asheville-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elon to the CAA next?
http://www.elonpendulum.com/2013/05/dav ... ave-socon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess KSU will have to wait until Elon is gone to get a SoCon invite, unless they take a Big South invite sooner