Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: bisoninnwmn

Re: Montana State buys out 2013 NDSU Game

Post by Bison Fan in NW MN »

grizzaholic wrote:I am still waiting for JBB/Lakes or any NDSU fan to explain to me how MSU did something wrong. They exercised their option to buy out the game, the contract BOTH teams signed, ...so...what is with the big uproar?

Technically, no, there is nothing wrong with what MSU did. They exercised the buyout option in the contract.

If the excuse is 6 home games then he should have bought out the contract last year. Waiting this long seems pretty 'fishy'. NDSU's AD will find another game but it will be more expensive.
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Post by DSUrocks07 »

Bison Fan in NW MN wrote:Wonder what it will cost NDSU to fill this game now?

Probably 250-300K....esp when Delaware State is getting 200K.

When NDSU went to play Ball State in '06, I think the Bison were paid something like 175K. Now it costs FCS teams that to bring in other FCS schools....
We're a lot further away from Fargo than Fargo is from Northern Indiana.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
Bearkats94
I am a fan of: Sam Houston
A.K.A.: Bearkats94

Post by Bearkats94 »

FargoBison wrote:Sounds like Montana State has some budget issues....
BOZEMAN, Mont. — Montana State University's athletic department is facing a budget crunch that has it raising ticket prices, asking for higher donations from boosters and asking the school for another $1.1 million to buy new equipment, hire trainers and stabilize the department's budget.
Fields has said that budget issues are the reason the Bobcats are taking a $300,000 guarantee to play a football game at SMU, and using $100,000 to buy out MSU's game at two-time FCS national champion North Dakota State and using the other $200,000 to provide a guarantee for Monmouth to play the season-opener in Bozeman.

“We had to generate a home game,” Fields said, calling it “critically important to us financially.”
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... /homepage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So they aren't really making any money playing SMU? 100,000 to buyout NDSU and 200,000 to get someone else to play at home. Sound a little chicken to me. I wonder how many people will turn out for this buyout game and will it pay for its self, otherwise they could still lose money.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Trapped in CA
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Northern Iowa
A.K.A.: UNI Pike

Post by Trapped in CA »

No real love for the Bison, but this is a sh*** deal. UNI was offering upwards of $350,000 last year for an FCS team to come in to play on short notice. I am fairly certain no return game was being offered. No takers.

I suspect NDSU will have an even shorter list of available options, given the travel distance, time, etc. Maybe you will get lucky on the calender matching up with someone. Good luck.
Morons of the month - October

Looks like certain people on this board finally have a reason to trade in their US Passports

------------------------------

Current OVC football members - 0-21 in FCS playoffs since 1997
FargoBison
Level2
Level2

Post by FargoBison »

Trapped in CA wrote:No real love for the Bison, but this is a sh*** deal. UNI was offering upwards of $350,000 last year for an FCS team to come in to play on short notice. I am fairly certain no return game was being offered. No takers.

I suspect NDSU will have an even shorter list of available options, given the travel distance, time, etc. Maybe you will get lucky on the calender matching up with someone. Good luck.
Sounds like NDSU is basically screwed and will not be able to find a 6th home and will now likely be forced to go on the road.

MSU has probably cost NDSU about $500k by doing what they did. It sucks.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

FargoBison wrote:
Trapped in CA wrote:No real love for the Bison, but this is a sh*** deal. UNI was offering upwards of $350,000 last year for an FCS team to come in to play on short notice. I am fairly certain no return game was being offered. No takers.

Sounds like NDSU is basically screwed and will not be able to find a 6th home and will now likely be forced to go on the road.

MSU didn't cost NDSU anything, it was your AD/Legal team. Don't try to spin the facts differently. You BOTH signed on the dotted line and you BOTH agreed to the terms of the contract.

Does it suck, HELL YES. Did it take a great game away from the fans of NDSU and MSU (and the rest of FCS) HELL YES. Was it allowed, YES. Blame your administration, not MSU.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
FargoBison
Level2
Level2

Post by FargoBison »

it was legal obviously, but still it was a bush league move by MSU.

People can do a lot of legal things but it doesn't necessarily make them right. MSU handled it very poorly, their AD should have given NDSU more time. I don't care about the game being bought out, I understand that it happens but this is not how you go about doing it.

The only mistake our AD made was doing business with MSU after they bought out the last contract.
Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: bisoninnwmn

Post by Bison Fan in NW MN »

grizzaholic wrote:
FargoBison wrote:

MSU didn't cost NDSU anything, it was your AD/Legal team. Don't try to spin the facts differently. You BOTH signed on the dotted line and you BOTH agreed to the terms of the contract.

Does it suck, HELL YES. Did it take a great game away from the fans of NDSU and MSU (and the rest of FCS) HELL YES. Was it allowed, YES. Blame your administration, not MSU.

If generating another home game for MSU was so 'vital' for their athletic department then buy-out the game last year.

According to today's Fargo Forum, our AD has said that teams have said 'no' to coming to Fargo and he is not willing to pay a huge sum to get one to come. I do not know what that sum is but FCS schools cannot pay 400-500K to get a team to come and play.