Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Colgate

Post by JohnStOnge »

I watched Colgate at Lehigh because I wanted Lehigh to win. That would mean only one playoff spot for the Patriot and free up an at large berth. Lehigh blew it by not being up as big as they should have at halftime. First they had Colgate stopped around midfield but roughed the punter to set Colgate up. Then after Lehigh scored to go up 21-7 the coach inexplicably called an onside kick even though they had momentum and Colgate had not gotten a kickoff return out to the 25 and had not shown the ability to drive the length of the field. Colgate recovered around midfield and scored. Lehigh ended up ahead 24-14 at halftime but really Colgate's offense had done very little and they should have had zero points.

And Lehigh paid for it because Colgate dominated the second half. Lehigh's defense got tired and Colgate just plodded. Stayed on the field. Made first downs. Meanwhile Lehigh's receivers dropped key passes that could've kept their offense on the field. One was really bad as it would've been a very big play.

By the way Colgate may be the slowest team in the playoffs ever. But they won. I guess you don't always have to have speed. And now because Lehigh had those two brain farts in the first half there is one less at large spot available.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Re: Colgate

Post by danefan »

JohnStOnge wrote:I watched Colgate at Lehigh because I wanted Lehigh to win. That would mean only one playoff spot for the Patriot and free up an at large berth. Lehigh blew it by not being up as big as they should have at halftime. First they had Colgate stopped around midfield but roughed the punter to set Colgate up. Then after Lehigh scored to go up 21-7 the coach inexplicably called an onside kick. Colgate recovered around midfield and scored. Lehigh ended up ahead 24-14 at halftime but really Colgate's offense had done very little and they should have had zero points.

And Lehigh paid for it because Colgate dominated the second half. Lehigh's defense got tired and Colgate just plodded. Stayed on the field. Made first downs. Meanwhile Lehigh's receivers dropped key passes that could've kept their offense on the field. One was really bad as it would've been a very big play.

By the way Colgate may be the slowest team in the playoffs ever. But they won. I guess you don't always have to have speed. And now because Lehigh had those two brain farts in the first half there is one less at large spot available.
Lehigh doesn't have an at-large resume at all. Plus they still have to beat Lafayette next week. They lose their last two and they're definitely not getting in.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Lehigh doesn't have an at-large resume at all. Plus they still have to beat Lafayette next week. They lose their last two and they're definitely not getting in.
I'm assuming they're going to beat Lafayette. I can't see how they won't be in at 10 - 1. I would've thought they'd be in at 9-2 as well.

I'm counting chickens before they hatch because McNeese has to beat FBS Texas San Antonio tonight in order to stay alive then beat Lamar next week but do you think a 9-2 Leigh would get in over an 8-3 McNeese State with two of its losses by 1 point each and two wins over FBS teams including one that's tied for the Sun Belt lead right now and beat Georgia Tech? Best case scenario Middle Tennessee State wins its last three games, finishes 9-3, and does no worse than a tie for the Sun Belt championship. Worse case scenario loses its last three to finish 6-6. At least something like 7-5 or 8-4 seems likely because they play 2-7 South Alabama then now 3-7 Troy before finishing the season at 7-3 Arkansas State in what could be a game for the Sun Belt championship.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

danefan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:I watched Colgate at Lehigh because I wanted Lehigh to win. That would mean only one playoff spot for the Patriot and free up an at large berth. Lehigh blew it by not being up as big as they should have at halftime. First they had Colgate stopped around midfield but roughed the punter to set Colgate up. Then after Lehigh scored to go up 21-7 the coach inexplicably called an onside kick. Colgate recovered around midfield and scored. Lehigh ended up ahead 24-14 at halftime but really Colgate's offense had done very little and they should have had zero points.

No. Lehigh is ranked #8 in the nation. They have to be playoff worthy.

Yes, I am bitter Montana was eliminated from the playoffs a couple weeks ago. Does it show?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

No. Lehigh is ranked #8 in the nation. They have to be playoff worthy.

Yes, I am bitter Montana was eliminated from the playoffs a couple weeks ago. Does it show?
Well if McNeese doesn't make it I'll be more bitter than you are because they had two 1 point losses in "no way they should've lost" games. Losing to Southeastern Louisiana was bad because it was Southeastern Louisiana. Losing to Central Arkansas was horrible because all kinds of things had to happen right for Central Arkansas in the last 3 minutes for them to get by. And they all happened.

Among other things they had to give up a first down on 4th and 11 (fake punt) on Southeastern's winning drive and a first down on 4th and 10 on Central Arkansas' drive to put the Bears in position to try an onside kick. Then the onside kick bounce was unbelievable. Very, very frustrating.

But I agree that I expect Lehigh to get an at large bid whether they win or not next week. Plus I think it extremely unlikely that they'll lose. Colgate winning today eliminated one available at large bid.
Could I ever be a star?

BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

If Lehigh is 10-1 they are in the playoffs.
9-2, with 2 losses to end the season may keep them out.

Don't assume that they will beat Lafayette. It's a huge rivalry game and Lafayette (5-5) is not a terrible team.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

BlueHen86 wrote:If Lehigh is 10-1 they are in the playoffs.
9-2, with 2 losses to end the season may keep them out.

Don't assume that they will beat Lafayette. It's a huge rivalry game and Lafayette (5-5) is not a terrible team.
Agreed. It's a toss up even if Lafayette was 0-10.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Probably, but I don't think they should be. Their wins (& the margins of those wins) make a Pioneer resume look decent.

Their ranking was totally inflated by last year and a weak schedule. That illusion has been more-or-less shattered, so we'll see if the pollsters plummet them (as they should).
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

The Patriot should be a one bid league regardless of who it is.
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Probably, but I don't think they should be. Their wins (& the margins of those wins) make a Pioneer resume look decent.

Their ranking was totally inflated by last year and a weak schedule. That illusion has been more-or-less shattered, so we'll see if the pollsters plummet them (as they should).
I strongly disagree. Patriot league teams usually play well in the playoffs and I believe that all of Lehigh's wins are FCS.

You aren't giving the Patriot league enough credit. If they are 9-2 you might have a point, but they belong in at 10-1.
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

skinny_uncle wrote:The Patriot should be a one bid league regardless of who it is.
:ohno:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

BlueHen86 wrote:
skinny_uncle wrote:The Patriot should be a one bid league regardless of who it is.
He's right. No way in hell does that conference deserve two teams. Ever. :tothehand:
Libertine
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty

Post by Libertine »

JohnStOnge wrote:Then after Lehigh scored to go up 21-7 the coach inexplicably called an onside kick even though they had momentum and Colgate had not gotten a kickoff return out to the 25 and had not shown the ability to drive the length of the field.
Coen loooves him some 2nd quarter onside kick.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

BlueHen86 wrote:I strongly disagree. Patriot league teams usually play well in the playoffs and I believe that all of Lehigh's wins are FCS.

You aren't giving the Patriot league enough credit. If they are 9-2 you might have a point, but they belong in at 10-1.
I think Colgate could possibly win a game or two (assuming they don't get a bye). They're on a roll.

Lehigh, on the other hand… Their best wins are Liberty (when Liberty was still struggling) and Princeton, who they beat by a combined 5 points. It's one thing if you're crushing weak teams (like SBU was until this week), but Lehigh was just barely beating a lot of them.

My argument has nothing to do with the playoff success of the Patriot League, it's that this year's Lehigh team is not last year's Lehigh team. It was quite surprising to me that they inherited such a high ranking after losing Lum.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

Grizalltheway wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:
He's right. No way in hell does that conference deserve two teams. Ever. :tothehand:
This.
BisoNation
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

Post by BisoNation »

South Dakota beat Colgate. That is all.
The strength of the herd is the bison and the strength of the bison is the herd.

Hail the Bison
2011 FCS National Champions
2011 & 2012 MVFC Champions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BisoNation wrote:South Dakota beat Colgate. That is all.
This...plus their OOC wins are against Monmouth, CCU, and Princeton. They have played a very weak schedule tight.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

uofmman1122 wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
This.
Yep.
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

Sorry guys. Lehigh will be in at 10-1, and they should be.

Colgate is an AQ, doesn't matter who they lost to.

The Patriot isn't the OVC or the MEAC, both of whom have had 2 bids not to long ago. The Patriot wins games on occasion: Lehigh won at UNI in 2010 and at Towson in 2011.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

BlueHen86 wrote:Sorry guys. Lehigh will be in at 10-1, and they should be.

The Patriot isn't the OVC or the MEAC, both of whom have had 2 bids not to long ago. The Patriot wins games on occasion: Lehigh won at UNI in 2010 and at Towson in 2011.
Of course they will be in at 10-1, but they shouldn't be. They will play in the 1st round and get blown out... pending they don't lose to Laffytaffy, because that's a good possibility. :nod:
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:Sorry guys. Lehigh will be in at 10-1, and they should be.

Of course they will be in at 10-1, but they shouldn't be. They will play in the 1st round and get blown out... pending they don't lose to Laffytaffy, because that's a good possibility. :nod:
Lehigh has won 1st round playoff games each of the last 2 years, both on the road.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

BlueHen86 wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote: Of course they will be in at 10-1, but they shouldn't be. They will play in the 1st round and get blown out... pending they don't lose to Laffytaffy, because that's a good possibility. :nod:
Lehigh has won 1st round playoff games each of the last 2 years, both on the road.
Against who?

Exactly. That is why those on the west coast bitch about the patsy first round teams the south and east get. :tothehand:
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

SeattleGriz wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:
Against who?

Exactly. That is why those on the west coast bitch about the patsy first round teams the south and east get. :tothehand:
Did you read the thread? How about just my posts? Lets try his again:

Lehigh has won playoff games at UNI and Towson the last two years. That's a CAA team and an MVFC team.

West Coast Ignorance. :ohno:

:kisswink:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

BlueHen86 wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote: Of course they will be in at 10-1, but they shouldn't be. They will play in the 1st round and get blown out... pending they don't lose to Laffytaffy, because that's a good possibility. :nod:
Yes, & both of those Lehigh teams were better than this one.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

BlueHen86 wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:
Against who?

Did you read the thread? How about just my posts? Lets try his again:

Lehigh has won playoff games at UNI and Towson the last two years. That's a CAA team and an MVFC team.

West Coast Ignorance. :ohno:

:kisswink:
Yeah, but in those years they also rolled past their weak Patriot League opponents. Unlike this year, where they're squeaking by and now losing. :coffee: