MVFC Week 10 Thread

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BisoNation
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

MVFC Week 10 Thread

Post by BisoNation »

3-2 last week for me in predictions. HUGE week of Valley play this week as we get down to only 3 weeks left. Who knows what to expect, but here's what I think...

#1 North Dakota State @ Missouri State
Like I said in the game thread, last time the Bison went to Missouri State was an ugly 3-0 loss. Missouri State is on a 3 game winning streak, but they're just not the football team we are. And the way NDSU plays on the road, we win big.

South Dakota @ Youngstown State
Irrelevant, but Youngstown finally gets another win.

Northern Iowa @ Western Illinois
Irrelevant, UNI wins.

#21 South Dakota State @ Southern Illinois
Saluki's keep making the plays they need and are playing great football, it's a shame they probably won't make the playoffs. I'm taking Southern Illinois in this one.

Game of the Week

#17 Illinois State @ #14 Indiana State

Indiana State sits atop the Valley right now, and rightfully so. They only have 2 games left on their schedule, this weekend hosting Illinois State and the last week of the season at Youngstown. I really, really want an Indiana State loss so the Bison can win the conference, I think it is possible, and you can bet I'll be cheering for it, but I think the Sycamores are playing good football and win at home.

With that said, Go Redbirds :clap:
The strength of the herd is the bison and the strength of the bison is the herd.

Hail the Bison
2011 FCS National Champions
2011 & 2012 MVFC Champions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: MVFC Week 10 Thread

Post by SuperHornet »

NDSU
Mr. Popper
UNI
SIU
IN St

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Theee Catrabbit
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SDSU

Post by Theee Catrabbit »

Missouri State-Finally MSU puts it together on the Bizzzzoonnnnnn and they come away with a 2-0 victory here, in another game between the two teams that nobody can watch. :ohno:
Youngstown State-YSU should be embarassed enough by now to beat the Yotes
Western Illinois- What the hell.....
#21 South Dakota State-All cylinders engaged for the Jacks now....pick your poison Zenner lambastes you for a couple hundred or Sumner throws 5 TD's on ya'?

Game of the Week

#17 Illinois State-Indiana State is just not that good, just because they beat the Bison in a fluke game.
Thumper 76
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: South Dakota State

Post by Thumper 76 »

Theee Catrabbit wrote:Missouri State-Finally MSU puts it together on the Bizzzzoonnnnnn and they come away with a 2-0 victory here, in another game between the two teams that nobody can watch. :ohno:
#21 South Dakota State-All cylinders engaged for the Jacks now....pick your poison Zenner lambastes you for a couple hundred or Sumner throws 5 TD's on ya'?

Game of the Week

#17 Illinois State-Indiana State is just not that good, just because they beat the Bison in a fluke game.
:lol: I think these are keepers :lol:
Please don't tell Obama what comes after a Trillion.
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

NDSU
YSU
UNI
SIU
Indy State
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: bisoninnwmn

Post by Bison Fan in NW MN »

NDSU -- MSU's defense is playing pretty well but the Bison are too well rounded for the Bears.

YSU -- USD is bad....enough said.

UNI -- UNI playing for pride.

SIU -- SDSU is playing well right now but SIU is tough to beat in Carbondale. SIU's defense is pretty darn good.

Ill State -- Would like to be at this one. Taking the Redbirds in a close game.
isumatt
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: ILLINOIS STATE

Post by isumatt »

Ndsu
YSU
Uni
Siu
ILS
-ISUMATT-

Image Image Image

Hancock Stadium Renovation Photos for 2013
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

BisoNation wrote:3-2 last week for me in predictions. HUGE week of Valley play this week as we get down to only 3 weeks left. Who knows what to expect, but here's what I think...

#1 North Dakota State @ Missouri State
Like I said in the game thread, last time the Bison went to Missouri State was an ugly 3-0 loss. Missouri State is on a 3 game winning streak, but they're just not the football team we are. And the way NDSU plays on the road, we win big.

South Dakota @ Youngstown State
Irrelevant, but Youngstown finally gets another win.

Northern Iowa @ Western Illinois
Irrelevant, UNI wins.

#21 South Dakota State @ Southern Illinois
Saluki's keep making the plays they need and are playing great football, it's a shame they probably won't make the playoffs. I'm taking Southern Illinois in this one.

Game of the Week

#17 Illinois State @ #14 Indiana State

Indiana State sits atop the Valley right now, and rightfully so. They only have 2 games left on their schedule, this weekend hosting Illinois State and the last week of the season at Youngstown. I really, really want an Indiana State loss so the Bison can win the conference, I think it is possible, and you can bet I'll be cheering for it, but I think the Sycamores are playing good football and win at home.

With that said, Go Redbirds :clap:

MSU
YSU
UNI
SIU
INSU
Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2

Theee Catrabbit wrote:Missouri State-Finally MSU puts it together on the Bizzzzoonnnnnn and they come away with a 2-0 victory here, in another game between the two teams that nobody can watch. :ohno:

Game of the Week

Indiana State is a very good FB team.
isumatt
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: ILLINOIS STATE

Post by isumatt »

Illinois St has just knocked off Indiana St in Terre Haute 17-10!

REDBIRDS move to 8-2 (5-2) with a home game left vs NDSU after next weeks bye
Shakir Bell 'held' to 115 yards LOL
-ISUMATT-

Image Image Image

Hancock Stadium Renovation Photos for 2013
Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2

isumatt wrote:Illinois St has just knocked off Indiana St in Terre Haute 17-10!

ILL State just punched their tix to the playoffs. They beat the Bison in 2 weeks and they'll have a 1st round bye for sure.
BisoNation
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

Post by BisoNation »

isumatt wrote:Illinois St has just knocked off Indiana St in Terre Haute 17-10!

Big win for Ill St. Looks like Nov 17 at Ill St could be for the Valley championship
The strength of the herd is the bison and the strength of the bison is the herd.

Hail the Bison
2011 FCS National Champions
2011 & 2012 MVFC Champions
Benne
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SDSU & Montana
A.K.A.: benne

Post by Benne »

Jacks score 7 seconds remaining. See you next week in Fargo.
Benne
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SDSU & Montana
A.K.A.: benne

Post by Benne »

Jacks win 16-12
JayJ79
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: myself

Post by JayJ79 »

What the hell happened to Youngstown? They seemed fairly decent early in the season. And now they struggle to win a home game against the conference doormat. (after having dropped 4 straight themselves)
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

They blew their entire wad trying to beat UNI for the first time in 12 years. Been terrible ever since that day.
UNI FIGHT
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

DJH wrote:They blew their entire wad trying to beat UNI for the first time in 12 years. Been terrible ever since that day.
:lol:
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

JayJ79
Level3
Level3

Post by JayJ79 »

NDSU (5-1 MVFC; 8-1 O'all, all D1 even though two of them are cupcakey) is a playoff lock, definitely a seed if they win out, possibly a lower seed if they lose one.

SDSU (5-1 MVFC; 7-2 O'all, all D1) is probably in (though a home loss to USD might put them on the bubble, I dunno.).

ILS (5-2 MVFC; 8-2 O'all, all D1, one of them a PFL win) is in.

INS (5-2 MVFC; 7-3 O'all, w/ one being a D2 win and one a PFL win) could get to the requisite 7 D1 wins with a win at YSU, and their win at NDSU is a resume booster, but it depends how the rest of the bubble teams look.
JayJ79
Level3
Level3

Post by JayJ79 »

I'm trying to figure out the MVFC autobid scenarios.
Some of them are clearcut, obviously
(if NDSU or SDSU win out, they get the bid)

But I'm not familiar with working a non-roundrobin schedule, and even with the text of the conference tiebreaker procedure, I'm at a loss for some scenarios. Such as this one:
NDSU beats SDSU, and loses at ILS (finishing at 6-2)
SDSU loses at NDSU, and beats USD (finishing at 6-2)
ILS beats NDSU (finishing at 6-2)
INS wins at YSU (finishing at 6-2)
The monkeywrench in that scenario is that Illinois State and South Dakota State do not play each other this season.

And just for the record, here are the tiebreaker procedures from the conference regs:
4.2.2 NCAA Automatic Qualifier. Ties shall be broken to determine the team which receives the automatic bid to the NCAA championship as follows:
  • a. Two Teams Tied.
    • (1) In the event of a two-team tie in the conference results and the two teams played each other, the winner of the game shall be declared the NCAA automatic qualifier.
    • (2) If the tied teams did not play each other, then each team’s record against all common conference opponents shall be used to determine the NCAA automatic qualifier.
    • (3) If the teams are still tied, then each team’s record against the next highest common opponent in the conference standings shall be used to determine the NCAA automatic qualifier.
    • (4) If the teams are still tied, the latest available GPI ranking prior to NCAA selection shall be used as the final tiebreaker.
  • b. Three or More Teams Tied.
    • (1) If at any point a tie is broken using the multiple-tie tiebreaker procedures and only two teams remain tied, the remaining teams shall revert to the two-way tiebreaker (head-to-head).
    • (2) If the tied teams all played one another, the team with the best cumulative record involving games among the tied teams shall be declared the NCAA automatic qualifier.
    • (3) If the tied teams all played one another and have identical records against the other tied teams, then each team’s recond against all common conference opponents shall be used to determine the NCAA automatic bid. If teams are still tied, then each team’s record against the next highest common opponent in the conference standings shall determine the automatic bid.
    • (4) If the tied teams did not play each other, then each team’s record against common conference opponents shall be used to determine the automatic bid. If the teams are still tied and they did not play each other, then each team’s recored against the next highest common opponent in the conference standings shall determine the automatic bid.
    • (5) If the teams are still tied, the latest available GPI ranking prior to NCAA selection shall be used as the final tiebreaker.