Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 10-29

Post by JALMOND »

Upsets here and there and great play within the conference made this week's power rankings really tough. I think I spent more time this week on these than I ever have before in all the years of doing this. I'm kind of longing for those days when you could put Montana at the top and fill the rest in from there. So much parity in the conference and the Grizzlies having an average type year that it is making this difficult. Here are this week's power rankings for the Big Sky (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only and I'm sure we will have quite the discussion this week.

1. Montana State (2)---The Bobcats have endured a season where they just seem to somehow win, but last week they emerged with a resounding home win against North Dakota. Whether it means they are back on track or just a temporary fix remains to be seen as they head down to Sacramento State.

2. Northern Arizona (4)---It definitely was not pretty and it kept people in suspense longer that it should have, but the Lumberjacks escaped from Northern Colorado with a win in the last few seconds. They seem to play better at a quicker pace but they have slowed it down in their last two games. This weekend, a chance to speed it back up playing at Idaho State.

3. Eastern Washington (1)---On paper, the Eagles' game at Southern Utah looked to be just a pothole on the road deep into the playoffs, but they somehow kept the Thunderbirds around and ended up on the short end at the end. Now they have to regroup and come out firing as they get Cal Poly, albeit on their home turf.

4. Sacramento State (6)---The Hornets welcomed Cal Poly to their house and kept the Mustangs at bay for most of the game, finally prevailing at the end. Whether this means they are truly back and poised to make a splash in the playoffs remains to be seen, but this week Montana State comes to town.

5. Cal Poly (3)---The Mustangs strong triple option started on the short end of the game at Sacramento State and they could not get their passing attack going to offset it. Not the outcome they wanted this late in the year as they look to right the ship by going to Eastern Washington this week.

6. Southern Utah (9)---The Thunderbirds truly fit the tale of Jeckyl and Hyde this year. After giving Weber State their first conference win at home, they went out the next week and beat top ranked Eastern Washington at home. It begs to say which team will show up at North Dakota this week.

7. Montana (7)---For all the madness surrounding themselves in the conference, the Grizzlies did what was expected of them, they totally destroyed Idaho State at home. Once again, does this jump start whatever is left of the season? This weekend finds them at Weber State.

8. North Dakota (5)---Feeling good about themselves after beating Montana at their house, the Dakotans were set for their statement game at Montana State. However, the only statement made was that they are probably not quite there yet. This week, they go back home and face Southern Utah.

9. Portland State (10)---With all the fireworks going on ahead of them, overlooked was the fact that the Vikings put together a complete game and took care of business at UC-Davis. Building on this new optimistic attitude, they welcome Northern Colorado to their home.

10. Weber State (8)---The Wildcats sat at home last week and took in all the carnage around them. Whether that was a good or bad thing will definitely come about but this week, they return to action by entertaining Montana at their home.

11. Northern Colorado (12)---The Bears did all they could for an upset by themselves, giving up a field goal in the last seconds against Northern Arizona. Now they hope for a little payback from last year, heading to play Portland State on the road, but hoping to secure the win this time.

12. UC-Davis (11)---Fresh off some strong performances in recent weeks, the Aggies just could not get it done in the second half against Portland State. They just seem to be on the cusp in every game. This weekend finds them on the sidelines, getting ready for their last two games of the year.

13. Idaho State (13)---The Bengals have a strong passing game. The problem is everyone knows the Bengals have a strong passing game because, like Montana showed, you take away that aspect and the Bengals have nothing else. This weekend, Northern Arizona will see this strong passing attack, but nothing else.

RECAP: 1-2 distancing themselves, 3-5 trying to keep up, 6 on an island, 7-8 falling back, 9 gaining ground, 10 just ahead of the back, 11-12 staying put and 13 far behind.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 10-29

Post by SuperHornet »

As much as EWU and CP lost, I have a hard time seeing MSU and NAU "distancing themselves" from them. I think this week was just an aberration for them.

Additionally, I have a hard time dropping BBQ two spots on a bye.

It's a tough week, though, as you noted. Thanks for the Sac love. Overall, these points aside, this is outstanding.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

Before the arrest and suspensions, I'd have the Griz at #7, but now I think we'd be lucky to be #10.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote:Additionally, I have a hard time dropping BBQ two spots on a bye.
I understand what you are saying, but the two teams that moved ahead of Weber from last week, Southern Utah and Portland State had good wins. I had SUU and WSU pretty even last week, only Weber's win that week at SUU was what I used to put them ahead so it made sense to move SUU ahead of them this week after beating EWU. PSU got a win on the road at Davis. If that game was played in Portland with the same outcome, I probably would not have moved PSU past Weber. I've always had a soft spot for anyone who can win conference games on the road, at least for one week. :D
grizfan47
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by grizfan47 »

uofmman1122 wrote:Before the arrest and suspensions, I'd have the Griz at #7, but now I think we'd be lucky to be #10.
I think you're being a little pessimistic but I understand where you are coming from. The Griz still have depth and I think they will come through this weekend. Some kids are going to have to step up and take advantage of the opportunity and I think they will. Having Han at QB has given our offense a chance to be much more productive. Of course losing to starters on the line may make it more difficult for him.
ajwildcat
I am a fan of: Weber State

Post by ajwildcat »

Don't see how WSU can drop 2 spots on a bye week :roll: after this Saturday though you will have to put them above the Griz.
weberwildcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: WEEber State
A.K.A.: WeberHoops.com

Post by weberwildcat »

I have no clue where Weber really should be so I will just agree. We beat SUU, got destroyed by UC DAVIS but were in all our FCS games and reallistically could have beat EWU, CP and Sac but in the end we are just 1-7. :D

It would be a shock if Weber wins out, 4-7, 4-4. after 0-7.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

ajwildcat wrote:Don't see how WSU can drop 2 spots on a bye week :roll: after this Saturday though you will have to put them above the Griz.
Bookmarked. :coffee:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

MSU doing to UND exactly what EWU did, and NAU getting a last second FG to avoid being upset by UNC, and they're distancing themselves? I completely disagree. CP and EWU seemed to have been distancing themselves, and now they're back to the pack of forerunners.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:MSU doing to UND exactly what EWU did, and NAU getting a last second FG to avoid being upset by UNC, and they're distancing themselves? I completely disagree. CP and EWU seemed to have been distancing themselves, and now they're back to the pack of forerunners.
I agree that things are very balanced at the top. All of the top 4 have their flaws, but on balance I think they're pretty evenly matched. :nod:
CPAlum
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Post by CPAlum »

Oh good Lord Jalmond.....last week you started to sway and now you look like you may have jumped the shark.

Montana State has done absolutely nothing to distance themselves. Truth is they (not Cal Poly or NAU) play the easiest schedule in the BSC....that's right Drake....Cardron Beauty School all OOC. Those games are by choice.

Yes NAU won....and as other threads say a win is a win but seriously you're moving them from #4 to #2 for a two point win over UNC? I'm not sure I wouldn't put them at #2 but I just cant see the move in your poll based on what we saw Saturday. Based on this logic SUU should be #2 or #3 they beat EWU (your #1) if you are giving 2 spots to NAU for a 2pt win against UNC shouldn't SUU move up like 6 spots?

EWU goes from 1 to 3 based on losing in the last seconds, on the road to a pretty decent SUU squad?

Sac State...look I like Sac and I have all year but to go from 6 to 4 (and jumping Cal Poly based on one game) is a bit much...Keep in mind this is a team that got pummeled at home by UND.

Cal Poly lost and a loss is a loss. They were in the game to the very end, they were on the road. Sac played their hearts out fundamentally and emotionally. Cal Poly laid UND to waste in North Dakota (see Sac above)

Anyway...Id put them like this

EWU....by a hair. Their schedule alone merits it. They have played 2 FBS squads and came withing a whisper of winning both. A road loss does not drop them in my mind.

NAU.....by a hair. Undefeated in conference has to mean something but I expect that if they play the way they did in their "win" Saturday and Cal Poly plays as well as they did in their loss Saturday on Nov 17th NAU wont be undefeated anymore.

MSU .....a close loss against EWU but they have two wins against Drake and Cahdron Beauty School and a few less than impressive wins. A few more like last Saturday at UND and Id have to move them up

Cal Poly....they lost their first game and it was on the road and close. They have the talent to win this Saturday at EWU but I don't know if they will...we will see

Sac St....Good team and if they keep winning they will will find themselves in the post season.

Montana
SUU
UND
PSU
UCD
Weber
UNC
Idaho St
Last edited by CPAlum on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cujo
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Cujo »

1. EWU
2. NAU
3. CP
3. MSU
5. Sac
6. SUU
7. UND
8. PSU
9. UM
10. UC Davis
11. Weber
12. UNC
13. ISU

That's how i see it at present.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

CPAlum wrote:Oh good Lord Jalmond.....last week you started to sway and now you look like you may have jumped the shark.

Montana State has done absolutely nothing to distance themselves. Truth is they (not Cal Poly or NAU) play the easiest schedule in the BSC....that's right Drake....Cardron Beauty School all OOC. Those games are by choice.

Yes NAU won....and as other threads say a win is a win but seriously you're moving them from #4 to #2 for a two point win over UNC? I'm not sure I wouldn't put them at #2 but I just cant see the move in your poll based on what we saw Saturday. Based on this logic SUU should be #2 or #3 they beat EWU (your #1) if you are giving 2 spots to NAU for a 2pt win against UNC shouldn't SUU move up like 6 spots?

EWU goes from 1 to 3 based on losing in the last seconds, on the road to a pretty decent SUU squad?

Sac State...look I like Sac and I have all year but to go from 6 to 4 (and jumping Cal Poly based on one game) is a bit much...Keep in mind this is a team that got pummeled at home by UND.

Cal Poly lost and a loss is a loss. They were in the game to the very end, they were on the road. Sac played their hearts out fundamentally and emotionally. Cal Poly laid UND to waste in North Dakota (see Sac above)

EWU....by a hair. Their schedule alone merits it. They have played 2 FBS squads and came withing a whisper of winning both. A road loss does not drop them in my mind.

NAU.....by a hair. Undefeated in conference has to mean something but I expect that if they play the way they did in their "win" Saturday and Cal Poly plays as well as they did in their loss Saturday on Nov 17th NAU wont be undefeated anymore.

MSU .....a close loss against EWU but they have two wins against Drake and Cahdron Beauty School and a few less than impressive wins. A few more like last Saturday at UND and Id have to move them up

Cal Poly....they lost their first game and it was on the road and close. They have the talent to win this Saturday at EWU but I don't know if they will...we will see

Sac St....Good team and if they keep winning they will will find themselves in the post season.

Montana
SUU
UND
PSU
UCD
Weber
UNC
Idaho St
"Jump the shark"? That's funny. :lol:

I guess you could have called me "an ignorant slut". :D

I really do not know if SUU is a good team or not. They've been so up and down this year. Sac State beat them at Cedar. Weber beat them at Cedar. Yet the top team, EWU, could not win at Cedar. Does this make SUU a good team all of a sudden, because they beat EWU? If you think EWU deserves a pass based on what they have done so far, fine. I have a hard time keeping the Eagles at the top of anything after that game.

Convenient of you not to mention the other FCS opponent Montana State beat. Stephen F Austin played Sam Houston tough and also has a win over Central Arkansas on their list. Also, the Bobcats only loss so far has been close against EWU earlier in the year.

Poly finally came alive in the fourth to rally against Portland State at home, then tried to sleepwalk against Sac State on the road. The game was not that close, it was never in doubt after the third quarter. Sac State showed they are the better team.

NAU is undefeated in conference but, in the quirks of the scheduling this year, does not play either EWU or MSU. The question is then, how good are they really? Open to judgement, of course.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Good work as always J, not many arguments here. The only change I would have is maybe swap UND ahead of UM. I'm not sure I'd drop WSU as much as you did but PSU did have a strong game so I can see why they moved as much as they did. What a clusterfuck this has all become with the whacked schedules.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

JALMOND wrote:
CPAlum wrote:Oh good Lord Jalmond.....last week you started to sway and now you look like you may have jumped the shark.

Montana
SUU
UND
PSU
UCD
Weber
UNC
Idaho St

I really do not know if SUU is a good team or not. They've been so up and down this year. Sac State beat them at Cedar. Weber beat them at Cedar. Yet the top team, EWU, could not win at Cedar. Does this make SUU a good team all of a sudden, because they beat EWU? If you think EWU deserves a pass based on what they have done so far, fine. I have a hard time keeping the Eagles at the top of anything after that game.

Convenient of you not to mention the other FCS opponent Montana State beat. Stephen F Austin played Sam Houston tough and also has a win over Central Arkansas on their list. Also, the Bobcats only loss so far has been close against EWU earlier in the year.

Poly finally came alive in the fourth to rally against Portland State at home, then tried to sleepwalk against Sac State on the road. The game was not that close, it was never in doubt after the third quarter. Sac State showed they are the better team.

NAU is undefeated in conference but, in the quirks of the scheduling this year, does not play either EWU or MSU. The question is then, how good are they really? Open to judgement, of course.
I don't think it's fair to use Sac's wins to disparage SUU's strength, and then to disparage CP's. Sac is obviously a very good team, hanging with EWU in Cheney, and beating CP at home. Yet they had a brainfart and got smacked by UND at home. SUU hung tough with and almost beat both MSU and Sac, beat the Griz in Missoula (I don't care if they're down, that's always a tough place to get a win), and of course beat EWU in Cedar. SUU is a good team, although inconsistent to be sure. I think their loss to Weber is akin to Sac's loss to UND... just had a bad game for whatever reason, perhaps looking ahead to the next week.

Agreed, it's tough to gauge teams this year since nobody plays everybody. But what we do know is that there are a lot of tough teams in the Sky that can beat any other if they bring their A game, no matter what their record is. I'd say the only team that can't sneak up on or beat any other this year is ISU. I'm pretty sure their 11 guys on D could just stand at random spots in the backfield and have better success than they are currently. :lol:

That said, I'd say that given relative strength of schedule so far, and current records, that EWU, MSU, CP, NAU are all in a dead heat at the top, with Sac just a half step behind, SUU and UND in the middle of the pack, UM, PSU, UCD struggling to catch up, Weber and UNC even further behind them, and ISU has quit and is now walking the rest of the way. :oops:
CPAlum
Level1
Level1

Post by CPAlum »

JALMOND wrote:

Montana
SUU
UND
PSU
UCD
Weber
UNC
Idaho St

In reality I respect your opinion, that is why I didn't call you an ignorant slut ;)

You must be kidding about the Cal Poly Sac game never being in doubt after the 3rd?!? That's funny

Just a reminder and I welcome comments from my Hornet friends.... Cal Poly actually was coming back in that game and with about 4 minutes left in the game they were driving until Andre Broudous muffed a snap (very unusual for him). Had that not occurred it looked like Poly would take back the lead.

Don't get me wrong Sac won and was the better team last Saturday but to say the game was "not that close" is a gross overstatement of the reality. It was damn close.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

CPAlum: There was a rather large portion of the second half when I thought Sac had shut the door, but then it seemed as if the CP offense suddenly "woke up." They had a VERY good chance at winning this game. You might choose to look at Broudous's muffed snap as a big issue, and perhaps it is. Me? I would look more at your HC decisions that made absolutely NO sense, at least not to an outsider. First, all the 4th down attempts. Sure, you had a history of making them (no misses all season long), but when you've missed one or two in a game, then perhaps something else would be a better choice. Then (related to the first) was the passed up FGs. Perhaps you had an injury at the kicker position, but otherwise the moves made no sense, at least not to me. Alone, those would have been enough to force OT or even win, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

You have a very talented team that experienced a hiccup. Your offense requires a LOT out of a defense to counter. If your coach just lets your kids play and take the sure points when they are presented, your team will go far. As it is, I'm predicting CP in the Final Four. You have some good football to enjoy between now and New Years, CPAlum.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SH has some good points. If we are playing "ifs and buts" then those 10 points gifted to CP by Hornet turnovers to start the game made this a lot closer than it was. I'll add on that the last circus TD made the score a lot closer too. It was a total dog fight as CP came out for the 2nd half really fired up...but our defense did hold them in check (or at least it felt that way) until Safron put the game away late in the 4th with the 2nd Norrise TD. Then a good kick return followed by that circus play on 4th down got us to the final score.

I'm not trying to down play CP at all. They have talent and is a really good team, but our defense stiffened up when it needed even though CP had some good stats at the end of the night. Hell the biggest stop of the night was forcing a CP FG off of the 2nd Hornet turnover and then following it up with a stopped 4th and short inside the Hornet 10 on the next drive. Our defense brought it, did what I didn't think was possible and forced some 3 and outs, and one of the big yardage plays didn't mean a whole lot (Broadous' long run on the last play of the half that was good for about 40+ yards).

Bottom line is this game could have easily been a Hornet blowout, and a worst a close CP win. The Hornets did not score any points off of the CP turnovers (kudos to the CP defense for playing much better in the 2nd half) but they had no trouble moving the ball through the air. Lots of things to take from this game by either side and a numerous amount of ways to spin it one way or the other.

Do I think this game means CP is not a contender? Absolutely not.
Last edited by SDHornet on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPAlum
Level1
Level1

Post by CPAlum »

Thanks SH...I hope you are right. I'm betting Sac sees the post season as well.

I have been baffled by their coaching staff on many occasions however until last week it was though to second guess after a win but suffice to say I saw many of the same decisions you note above as flawed.

Congrats again to Sac...now you guys need to win out and take the sting out of that loss. :)
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

This whole talk about BSC top 4 without us just sucks. :ohno:

I feel like the kid whose mom made him go to bed at 8:00 in the summer while he can still hear his friends outside playing basketball without him. :lol: :(
Brock Landers
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Things

Post by Brock Landers »

uofmman1122 wrote:This whole talk about BSC top 4 without us just sucks. :ohno:

I feel like the kid whose mom made him go to bed at 8:00 in the summer while he can still hear his friends outside playing basketball without him. :lol: :(
I suppose we can let the others have a turn at it every now and then :thumb:
jacksdude0109
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU

Post by jacksdude0109 »

good points. Even as a jacks fan I have to say we havent proven all that much. After the SUU and Poly game we will know for sure what this team is about. But then again we have the one and only Zach Bauman.
Zach Bauman doesnt need a miracle in order to split the ocean. He just walks in and water gets the hell out of the way.
This dude is a stone cold gangster on the field. In Bauman we trust.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

SDHornet wrote:SH has some good points. If we are playing "ifs and buts" then those 10 points gifted to CP by Hornet turnovers to start the game made this a lot closer than it was. I'll add on that the last circus TD made the score a lot closer too. It was a total dog fight as CP came out for the 2nd half really fired up...but our defense did hold them in check (or at least it felt that way) until Safron put the game away late in the 4th with the 2nd Norrise TD. Then a good kick return followed by that circus play on 4th down got us to the final score.

I'm not trying to down play CP at all. They have talent and is a really good team, but our defense stiffened up when it needed even though CP had some good stats at the end of the night. Hell the biggest stop of the night was forcing a CP FG off of the 2nd Hornet turnover and then following it up with a stopped 4th and short inside the Hornet 10 on the next drive. Our defense brought it, did what I didn't think was possible and forced some 3 and outs, and one of the big yardage plays didn't mean a whole lot (Broadous' long run on the last play of the half that was good for about 40+ yards).

Bottom line is this game could have easily been a Hornet blowout, and a worst a close CP win. The Hornets did not score any points off of the CP turnovers (kudos to the CP defense for playing much better in the 2nd half) but they had no trouble moving the ball through the air. Lots of things to take from this game by either side and a numerous amount of ways to spin it one way or the other.

Do I think this game means CP is not a contender? Absolutely not.
:suspicious: :? :loko:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Is SE saying that it's impossible for me to luck out occasionally?!?

:ohno:

oceanvue
Level1
Level1

Post by oceanvue »

this is a fun league