Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Stanford QB transfers to Montana

Post by Vidav »

Just not one of the two people were talking about. Don't know if you can really call him a Stanford QB since he hasn't thrown a pass. . .

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/mo ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Turns out the rumors were actually half true.

Earlier in the week, several blog sites reported that a quarterback on the Stanford University roster was transferring to the University of Montana football program. Speculation ran rampant and two names were mentioned, both of which were incorrect.

On Thursday, the Missoulian learned from a source inside the Stanford program that it’s Adam Brzeczek who will become a Griz. He was listed as a 6-foot, 195-pound freshman walk-on in Stanford’s 2011 football media guide
bison07
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Re: Stanford QB transfers to Montana

Post by bison07 »

Vidav wrote:Just not one of the two people were talking about. Don't know if you can really call him a Stanford QB since he hasn't thrown a pass. . .

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/mo ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Turns out the rumors were actually half true.

Earlier in the week, several blog sites reported that a quarterback on the Stanford University roster was transferring to the University of Montana football program. Speculation ran rampant and two names were mentioned, both of which were incorrect.

On Thursday, the Missoulian learned from a source inside the Stanford program that it’s Adam Brzeczek who will become a Griz. He was listed as a 6-foot, 195-pound freshman walk-on in Stanford’s 2011 football media guide
What's his criminal record? That's the deciding factor
BigSkyBears
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Northern Colorado

Post by BigSkyBears »

bison07 wrote:
Vidav wrote:Just not one of the two people were talking about. Don't know if you can really call him a Stanford QB since he hasn't thrown a pass. . .

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
cats2506
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: MSU Bobcats

Post by cats2506 »

bison07 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

bison07 wrote:

Just one count of sodomy. Co-defendant: bison07.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

WTF kind of name is Brzeczek !? :?

I will say, he's one brave kid, choosing to walk into that shitstorm. :nod:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:WTF kind of name is Brzeczek !? :?
A Polak one.
BigSkyBears
Level2
Level2

Post by BigSkyBears »

Yeah and that Growler1 kid over on egriz is already over-hyping this kid and making him out to be the next John Elway. Some griz fans. :roll:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

BigSkyBears wrote:

Yeah and that Growler1 kid over on egriz is already over-hyping this kid and making him out to be the next John Elway. Some griz fans. :roll:
Growler1 is the dumbest piece of shit over there.

Breezecheck doesn't look overly impressive to me. Similar to JJ, he's a play maker with his feet, but lacks a strong arm... I saw a lot of passes that were floated up there, even mid range ones. I haven't seen the other Griz QBs play, but if I were a Griz fan, I wouldn't have a lot of confidence if he beat them out after only 4 weeks with the team/offense.
BigSkyBears
Level2
Level2

Post by BigSkyBears »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
BigSkyBears wrote:
Growler1 is the dumbest piece of **** over there.

Breezecheck doesn't look overly impressive to me. Similar to JJ, he's a play maker with his feet, but lacks a strong arm... I saw a lot of passes that were floated up there, even mid range ones. I haven't seen the other Griz QBs play, but if I were a Griz fan, I wouldn't have a lot of confidence if he beat them out after only 4 weeks with the team/offense.

The Griz are in a world of hurt. They still have enough players to be decent this year, but fans like Growler1 and others who think they'll challenge for the conference are nuts. Especially after they lose Johnson.
Willie
Level4
Level4

Post by Willie »

Not sure why Bison fans pop in about the Montana stuff...as if their program hasn't had their share of fuckups in the last 5 years.
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
BigSkyBears wrote:

Our offense is not about or does not rely on a strong armed QB SE. In fact our best QB ever was nowhere near what anybody would call a strong arm except in the 10-20 yd. range.

He apparently had the skills to be recruited by the same guys that took in another pretty good QB so maybe they saw something...including the film you saw.

That being said, I don't necessarily think it means a big step up for us or anything but it's better to have him than not considering.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Willie wrote:Not sure why Bison fans pop in about the Montana stuff...as if their program hasn't had their share of fuckups in the last 5 years.
That ain't half as bad as a UNC fan jumping in. There is nothing more criminal than their absolute commitment to losing.

They've been robbing the fan base for years by charging for that stuff. Ah, I guess it's not that big of a deal though because if you added up every single dollar spent by the fans on that team in the last few years it's still only gonna end up as a misdemeanor.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:Growler1 is the dumbest piece of shit over there.
I don't know if he's quite the dumbest, but he is the most obsessively vitriolic.
Arm strength is overrated; accuracy is much more important. If arm strength was as important as everyone thinks (as NFL scouts apparently do, unfortunately), then Jeff George would be the greatest QB of all time and Ryan Leaf would be a future hall-of-famer.

I don't know much about Brzeczek's abilities specifically, but pretty much any QB is a good get for the Griz since they were down to just 3 on the roster (unless you're still counting Kemp). Now they can at least redshirt Gustafson.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Stanford QB transfers to Montana

Post by EWURanger »

Losing Johnson hurts, but as others have mentioned the UM offense isn't QB-centric. The strength is the offensive line and running game. This kid was good enough to walk on at Stanford so he should be a nice addition for Montana if they still have a football team after this year. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Arm strength is overrated; accuracy is much more important. If arm strength was as important as everyone thinks (as NFL scouts apparently do, unfortunately), then Jeff George would be the greatest QB of all time and Ryan Leaf would be a future hall-of-famer.

I don't know much about Brzeczek's abilities specifically, but pretty much any QB is a good get for the Griz since they were down to just 3 on the roster (unless you're still counting Kemp). Now they can at least redshirt Gustafson.
Perhaps I didn't word it the best then. It appears to me that he has a weak arm. I agree to an extent that arm strength is a little overrated, but only to a point. I doubt I'd be able to find it, but I was listening to Brock Huard on 710 ESPN discuss arm strength with somebody, in regards to Matt Flynn a while back. He was saying how arm strength doesn't matter once it's past a certain point. Floating the ball on those intermediate routes will get him picked off. Saw a couple of plays in the video I watched of him where the ball was under thrown as well... had the DB been competent enough to play the ball instead of the receiver, it also would've been picked. Overall though, I agree that accuracy is much more important.

Good luck to the kid though, he's got a tough road ahead of him.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
BigSkyBears wrote:

I hear Growler, and I obviously think of taking a shit. But while I am on the hopper, I can't help but think of his home life.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD6jWxxhnNE[/youtube]
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

SeattleGriz wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:

I hear Growler, and I obviously think of taking a shit. But while I am on the hopper, I can't help but think of his home life.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD6jWxxhnNE[/youtube]
:rofl:
SouthDakotaGrizzly
Level1
Level1

Post by SouthDakotaGrizzly »

It should be noted that this new QB (not even gonna attempt the name right now) is rumored to have been participating in 7 on 7 drills over the summer. If so, he at least has some experience with the receivers and some of the routes...he's not just starting from scratch when camp opens next week.

Still, you would think SSH or McKinney would have a leg up on him for the starting job. Or Kemp, if he is reinstated from suspension. If nothing else, this creates some competition and adds some depth to a position where depth is suddenly extremely lacking.

Word is the Griz will be emphasizing the quick passing game more this year under the new OC. Three step drop and release or shotgun and release. I would guess that Nguyen and Canada will be getting a ton of carries, at least early in the season until the QB situation sorts itself out.
FIRST DOWN.....MMMMOOOONNNNTTTTAAAANNNNAAAA!!!!

grizcountry420
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: The University of Montana

Post by grizcountry420 »

BigSkyBears wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Growler1 is the dumbest piece of **** over there.

The Griz are in a world of hurt. They still have enough players to be decent this year, but fans like Growler1 and others who think they'll challenge for the conference are nuts. Especially after they lose Johnson.
How old are you? You must not have any clue what tradition means... 8-)
BigSkyBears
Level2
Level2

Post by BigSkyBears »

Griz lose both coordinators, something like 8 players on defense including a CB who took away half the field. I'm thinking the Griz finish behind MSU, EWU, PSU and Cal Poly.
Darell1976
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: THE Univ. of North Dakota
A.K.A.: darell1976

Post by Darell1976 »

BigSkyBears wrote:Griz lose both coordinators, something like 8 players on defense including a CB who took away half the field. I'm thinking the Griz finish behind MSU, EWU, UND and Cal Poly.
FIFY :thumb:
2011 GWFC Co-Champs!!!!
Now Playoff Eligible!!
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by SACCAT »

So...The griz still don't have a QB on the team that has ever completed a pass in college?
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Everyone seems to forget how little game experience Johnson had coming into last season...just sayin'.
oceanvue
Level1
Level1

Post by oceanvue »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:Growler1 is the dumbest piece of **** over there.
I don't know if he's quite the dumbest, but he is the most obsessively vitriolic.

Arm strength is a big factor, as is accuracy (bigger) as is IQ, as is release point, as is how you spin the ball. If your arm is so weak you can't throw the out routes the DB's are going to sit on the slant and give up the fade, the out and the 9 route, while sitting all game in man to man and the DC is going to send 7 and 8 on down and distance.