FBS Going 'Playoff' in 2014-15

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: FBS Going 'Playoff' in 2014-15

Post by clenz »

If champion and best team are rwi different things why does the bcs piss people off?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

clenz wrote:If champion and best team are rwi different things why does the bcs piss people off?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
I think it's because the BCS in the past and with this new slightly expanded version does not allow for teams to control their own destiny. Under either the old BCS system or the 4 team thing no team can say, "If I win all my games this year I'll get into the 'tournament'" with 100% certainty. And a lot of teams in FBS know that even if they win all their games they almost certainly WON'T make it into the "tournament."

In FCS, with very few exceptions, that's not true. The overwhelming number of teams in FCS know that if they win every game on their schedule during the regular season they will be in the tournament. If you don't lose a game at all during the season you will be the national champion.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

Grizalltheway wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:OK, keep telling yourself that....

They'll never in our great grandchildrens lifetime open up to as many teams as say March Madness does - the Big East regular season is a farce when you realize the entire top half of the league makes it. Why pay attention before March 1st?
I don't think anyone thinks they should. I'd be happy with 8 or 16 teams. :nod:
I think 8 is the best number. No automatic bids though. Just try and get the 8 best teams in the playoffs.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

bluehenbillk wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:I don't care how they spin this. It's NOT a playoff. It's a freaking nonsensical invitational, and not a very good one at that. You HAVE to have EVERY conference get an auto-bid with at least a couple of at-larges besides. That speaks more for 16. And that only leaves room for SIX at-larges (assuming, of course, that the WAC no longer qualifies).
That, will never happen. What don't you get that there are 2 main issues associated with FBS football - money & control. They are tripling the postseason money and the inequality gap in total dollars in per league will be even wider than previous so that covers that end. The power conferences still have control & will never give that up. They'll fold their tents & create their own entity before they are sharing control with the MAC, CUSA, Sun Belt, etc. They won't let the MWC in & they've given the Big East the boot from the big boy table & the ACC is dangling.

On a side note: This should officially end the FBS & FCS monikers: as of today I'm going back to Divisions 1-A & 1-AA. Who's with me?
I never left.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

This is the "FCS" page

Since this is about I-A, shouldn't it be moved to the "Other College Sports" page with the rest of the BCS talk?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Won't see 8 teams for a long while. Might not ever see 16. 4 team playoff would start 2014 season. Will be locked into 4 teams until at least 2026.

"................Sentiment is strong, too, to keep the playoff at four teams. With more comes a greater chance of overshadowing the regular season, diluting meaning and interest in much the same way the NCAA tournament has basketball's regular season.
A set of 12-year contracts will hold off any near-term push for expansion.
"I think there's going to be that (clamor for expansion)," Dooley said. "But I hope whoever's making those decisions will hold fast and not let that happen."
"It sounds like we're really locked into a structure for 12 years, and I think that's probably a pretty good thing," Duke's White said. "The clamor might be inevitable, but I'm not sure expansion is inevitable."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... 55847504/1

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... 55845112/1
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

The problem with a 16 team playoff field is
1. I-A has already gone to 12 regular season games. I don't think they'll go back to 11.

2. Now most conferences have conference championship game in early Dec, a 13th game for most of your top teams. I don't think conferences will give that up. If you went to 16 you would have most BCS teams that lost their conference champ games getting in. Then what's the point? Have the conference champ games in lieu of a round of 16.

So you couldn't start a 16 team playoffs till 2nd Sat (mid Dec). Then they'll be a push to have a bye week for exams. So you could be looking at teams having up to 17 games, and it going till mid Jan. It wasn't that long ago that it topped out at 12 games: 11 games + a bowl game.

I can see it going to 8 teams when the 12 yr contract expires in 2026. Maybe they'll have a 12 yr contract at 8 teams. Who knows. I don't think it will go to 16 till the 2030s or 2040s, if it ever does.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote:The problem with a 16 team playoff field is
1. I-A has already gone to 12 regular season games. I don't think they'll go back to 11.

2. Now most conferences have conference championship game in early Dec, a 13th game for most of your top teams. I don't think conferences will give that up. If you went to 16 you would have most BCS teams that lost their conference champ games getting in. Then what's the point? Have the conference champ games in lieu of a round of 16.

So you couldn't start a 16 team playoffs till 2nd Sat (mid Dec). Then they'll be a push to have a bye week for exams. So you could be looking at teams having up to 17 games, and it going till mid Jan. It wasn't that long ago that it topped out at 12 games: 11 games + a bowl game.

I can see it going to 8 teams when the 12 yr contract expires in 2026. Maybe they'll have a 12 yr contract at 8 teams. Who knows. I don't think it will go to 16 till the 2030s or 2040s, if it ever does.
#2 is actually a bigger point than #1. If FBS is truly committed to 12 regular season games for the long haul, all they have to do is start a week earlier. No big deal.

The problem with your #2 is the seeding. Doing it that way would skew seeding to a horrendous degree unless you decide to seed only the top four, which is stupid. Seed EVERYBODY and be done with it. No worries about the draw. If you're #16, you KNOW you're going to play #1 and can focus on that film. Otherwise, you could play ANYBODY as an unseeded team, and that makes planning MUCH harder.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

I can see it going to 8 down the road - 16 - none of us will ever see that.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:The problem with a 16 team playoff field is

#2 is actually a bigger point than #1. If FBS is truly committed to 12 regular season games for the long haul, all they have to do is start a week earlier. No big deal.

The problem with your #2 is the seeding. Doing it that way would skew seeding to a horrendous degree unless you decide to seed only the top four, which is stupid. Seed EVERYBODY and be done with it. No worries about the draw. If you're #16, you KNOW you're going to play #1 and can focus on that film. Otherwise, you could play ANYBODY as an unseeded team, and that makes planning MUCH harder.
They'll stay to 12 games because they get so many home gates out it and just adding a week doesn't fix things - they already have tons of off weeks built into their schedules any way - they like getting 2 weeks to prepare for a big game.

I agree that we may see 8 at some point in the future, but that's just a maybe, and we're talking at least a decade if not more. What would speed up going to 8 is a further consolidation of the conferences - you get the big 4 conferences to get bigger, and they're going to want the playoffs to be bigger to get more of their teams in there. Right now, if they went to 8 you'd be almost certain to see a non-power conference team get in there every now and then and there's no way the power conferences want that. A large part of the reason they are doing what they are doing now is that they feared an outsider team getting into their system - this move to a "playoff" is a way to rid themselves of the autobids and be able to block a non-power team from getting in.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

bluehenbillk wrote:I can see it going to 8 down the road - 16 - none of us will ever see that.
We've seen 4, 8, 12, 16, 20... in I-AA in a relatively short timespan. I would not say "(n)ever".
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:I can see it going to 8 down the road - 16 - none of us will ever see that.
We've seen 4, 8, 12, 16, 20... in I-AA in a relatively short timespan. I would not say "(n)ever".
The difference is money and control - there is no money in FCS football so there's no vested interest in protecting the money like there is for the power conferences and the money they have. And then there's the control - the NCAA does not steer the ship at the FBS level like they do at the FCS level. They're told what to do at that level again by the power conferences.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

GannonFan wrote: The difference is money and control .
Bingo +1
Make Delaware Football Great Again