JMU @ Liberty - Game Discussion Thread

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Liberty University

JMU @ Liberty - Game Discussion Thread

Post by ToTheLeft »

JMU hasn't been a CAA powerhouse the past couple years but still has had Liberty's number. Neither game has been overly impressive from the Dukes, but lately very few JMU wins have been in blowout fashion.

So what's important about this year? Well, JMU obviously needs any FCS wins it can get for playoff eligibility reasons. IN addition, no one is quite sure where JMU is at this year. A lackluster offensive performance against CCSU won't inspire many, combined with LU's fairly easy victory over an RMU team that will probably wind up neck and neck with CCSU in the NEC standings by year's end... JMU needs this game to prove they're legit this year.

Liberty needs the win to begin to grab hold of some of the respect Flames fans have been crying for for years now. It's one thing to beat Elon, who is known for choking games and opportunities away. It's another to beat an in-state rival, a school that a large number of LU kids probably wanted to go to, and couldn't/didn't. A school that LU kids have friends and brothers/sisters at. As mentioned earlier, both teams just played similar opponents at home. LU won easily, JMU held on to win.

The key matchups will be the same as they've been.

LU Offense vs. JMU Defense - LU's offense has sputtered out of the gate this season. The Dukes usually have a solid defensive squad, and held CCSU to only 3 points until a fluky, end of the game situation where the Blue Devils scored with an apparent untimed down. Last year at Bridgeforth, LU was unable to get any sustained offense going against JMU, with dropped passes and mental mistakes preventing the Flames from converting the few opportunities they had.

LU Defense vs. JMU Offense - LU's defense has always been okay against the run and susceptible to the pass. This year, it appears to be rounding out into a solid unit all around. But can LU handle the big play? JMU's average offense hasn't really bothered the Flames over the past couple years. It's been big plays that have hurt the Flames. QB scrambles, missed assignments, and being duped by misdirections or fakes. Keeping the big play under control is key for LU.

Special Teams - I know nothing about JMU Special teams. I do know LU has a kicker and punter to rely on. And some decent return men with the speed to make a team pay for a breakdown in coverage.

Thoughts? Predictions? Friendly wagers?
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Monarchs, Gators, Huskies

Re: JMU @ Liberty - Game Discussion Thread

Post by ODUalum11 »

Something tells me to pick Liberty in this game because of JMU being on the road with a struggling offense.

Saw your signature...great start for USF so far...
JMUpurplehazed
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: James Madison
A.K.A.: Purplehazed

Post by JMUpurplehazed »

I'm traveling to the game in L'burg. Liberty has good fan support and any FCS game with 20,000 or more is impressive.

There is pressure on the JMU coaching staff to prove they can make winning decisions i.e. offensive personnel and play calling. Currently, JMU fans are torn between which drives the other...Our HC has painted himself into a corner taking on playcalling responsibilties and calling for an open playbook after two 6-5 seasons showcasing a low octane offense. Yesterday, a low scoring game against a solid CCSU team has some JMU fans concerned JMU is heading into season three of close loses due to lack of offensive firepower.

I expect JMU to win the Liberty game, I expect JMU to win every FCS game but I know we will likely lose a few games this year if we don't score more than 10 to 14 pts a game. I chose the word don't in place of can't b/c on paper we have the playmakers...still waiting for the dam to break. Who knows...
James Madison University --- Better than you since 1908...
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

ToTheLeft wrote:JMU hasn't been a CAA powerhouse the past couple years but still has had Liberty's number. Neither game has been overly impressive from the Dukes, but lately very few JMU wins have been in blowout fashion.

So what's important about this year? Well, JMU obviously needs any FCS wins it can get for playoff eligibility reasons. IN addition, no one is quite sure where JMU is at this year. A lackluster offensive performance against CCSU won't inspire many, combined with LU's fairly easy victory over an RMU team that will probably wind up neck and neck with CCSU in the NEC standings by year's end... JMU needs this game to prove they're legit this year.

Liberty needs the win to begin to grab hold of some of the respect Flames fans have been crying for for years now. It's one thing to beat Elon, who is known for choking games and opportunities away. It's another to beat an in-state rival, a school that a large number of LU kids probably wanted to go to, and couldn't/didn't. A school that LU kids have friends and brothers/sisters at. As mentioned earlier, both teams just played similar opponents at home. LU won easily, JMU held on to win.

LU Offense vs. JMU Defense - LU's offense has sputtered out of the gate this season. The Dukes usually have a solid defensive squad, and held CCSU to only 3 points until a fluky, end of the game situation where the Blue Devils scored with an apparent untimed down. Last year at Bridgeforth, LU was unable to get any sustained offense going against JMU, with dropped passes and mental mistakes preventing the Flames from converting the few opportunities they had.

LU Defense vs. JMU Offense - LU's defense has always been okay against the run and susceptible to the pass. This year, it appears to be rounding out into a solid unit all around. But can LU handle the big play? JMU's average offense hasn't really bothered the Flames over the past couple years. It's been big plays that have hurt the Flames. QB scrambles, missed assignments, and being duped by misdirections or fakes. Keeping the big play under control is key for LU.

Special Teams - I know nothing about JMU Special teams. I do know LU has a kicker and punter to rely on. And some decent return men with the speed to make a team pay for a breakdown in coverage.

Christ son, was still Saturday and start a thread for the next week's game. Hadn't had time to talk about the games that just got done playing. :roll: That's what Saturdays and Sundays are for.....
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ToTheLeft »

Well, unlike the Dukes, LU's game was fairly uneventful and it's time to look ahead. ;)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

ToTheLeft wrote:JMU hasn't been a CAA powerhouse the past couple years but still has had Liberty's number. Neither game has been overly impressive from the Dukes, but lately very few JMU wins have been in blowout fashion.

CCSU was picked to win the NEC. RMU was picked 3rd (by the coaches). Good chance they won't be neck and neck by the end of the season....

After beating Duke UR struggled to beat Wagner, who was picked 7th in the NEC. Can't go by trying to compare 2 teams that haven't played each other and then try to compare JMU and Liberty who have each only played one of those 2 teams....
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ToTheLeft »

What else do I have to compare?

And I'd say 1st and 3rd is neck and neck. But that's just typical scared fan semantics. ;-)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

ToTheLeft wrote:What else do I have to compare?

And I'd say 1st and 3rd is neck and neck. But that's just typical scared fan semantics. ;-)
Good, Liberty is overconfident. JMU has no chance. Liberty by 30.....
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ToTheLeft »

BDKJMU wrote:
ToTheLeft wrote:What else do I have to compare?

Good, Liberty is overconfident. JMU has no chance. Liberty by 30.....
I love this, too.

Because I feel we have a chance to win, you think our team is overconfident. I would hope the team is embarrassed for losing to average JMU teams two years in a row. I am not a reflection of my team, just as you are (thankfully for the Dukes) not a reflection of your team.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

BDKJMU wrote:

Christ son, was still Saturday and start a thread for the next week's game. Hadn't had time to talk about the games that just got done playing. :roll: That's what Saturdays and Sundays are for.....
Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Grizalltheway wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? :lol:
Just saying, we're still driving home from the game, no chance to comment on it yet, and we're already on to the next one.....Course some JMU fans would just as soon as forget that debacle as soon as possible......
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I couldn't stand Jerry Falwell. I despise evangelicals in general. I wish ill will on the very idea of Liberty University. I see they are playing JMU. I hope Liberty wins by 50.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ToTheLeft »

93henfan wrote:I couldn't stand Jerry Falwell. I despise evangelicals in general. I wish ill will on the very idea of Liberty University. I see they are playing JMU. I hope Liberty wins by 50.
We'll take it however we can get it! :thumb:
jmufan
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: The Dukes

Post by jmufan »

93henfan wrote:I couldn't stand Jerry Falwell. I despise evangelicals in general. I wish ill will on the very idea of Liberty University. I see they are playing JMU. I hope Liberty wins by 50.
Better to be an evangelical than a dumb blue Hen! :twisted: jk, or am I?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

:tothehand:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

One good matchup will be JMU's pre season All CAA center against that big, 380 lb (or whatever the hell he weighs now) NT of Liberty. Last yr he was listed at 6'5", 380 (it wasn't all muscle). I know he was on several Pre Season AA lists. Phil Steele that I'm looking at right now has him 2nd team...
Last edited by BDKJMU on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tribal
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: The Tribe

Post by Tribal »

BDKJMU wrote:One good matchup will be JMU's pre season All CAA center against that big, 380 lb (or whatever the hell he weighs now) NT of Liberty. Last yr he was listed at 6'5", 380, and it wasn't all muscle. Is he over 400 now?

Unless something changed within the past week, he's off the team. Arrested for possession of MJ and Cocaine.
mcveyrl
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: mcveyrl

Post by mcveyrl »

Tribal wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:One good matchup will be JMU's pre season All CAA center against that big, 380 lb (or whatever the hell he weighs now) NT of Liberty. Last yr he was listed at 6'5", 380, and it wasn't all muscle. Is he over 400 now?

Unless something changed within the past week, he's off the team. Arrested for possession of MJ and Cocaine.

Yep, his arraignment was moved to Dec. 7. He will not be there.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

mcveyrl wrote:
Tribal wrote:

Yep, his arraignment was moved to Dec. 7. He will not be there.
Great news for JMU. Like I said, the guy was on several pre season All American lists. One less impediment (a rather large one at that) for JMU's offense to have to deal with....
JmuSkinsfan
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: JmuSkinsfan

Post by JmuSkinsfan »

So I've been to both Liberty/JMU games the last two years ... I really am torn on this one because in both games I felt like JMU played down to Liberty ... didn't capitalize on opportunities, and made the games much closer on the scoreboard than they were in the stat book ... but then again ... that is kind of the story of JMU football the past two seasons. This game does make me nervous, although I really don't think JMU should win. It was also tough to gauge the game two years ago at Liberty because of the monsoon that was taking place the whole game that made the offenses pretty one-dimensional.

Last year, JMU's defense absolutely shut down Liberty and their star QB. JMU won 10-3 ... JMU's defense is a bit banged up on the DL this year ... but I still think the defense contains Liberty's offense to a certain extent. I say they give up anywhere from 13-21 points.

JMU's offense is a big question mark. Two weeks ago Justin Thorpe looked amazing against UNC but the running game was pretty non-existant against UNC's big defensive line. Last week, the passing game was non-existant while the Dukes rushed for over 350 yards. I think JMU's offense moves the ball a lot better against a Chapman-less Liberty DL ... and breaks some big runs ... combined with some big play-action passes ... I think Thorpe comes out a little better in this one. JMU offense puts up between 17 and 27 points.

So ... as you can see my scores overlap ... so I could see Liberty either winning this one 21-17 ... or JMU winning anywhere from 17-13 to 28-13.

I don't want to say this game is a "toss-up" but it being at Liberty does scare me. If JMU plays up to its potential, which I suspect they are DUE to do ... JMU wins this one 28-17 ... if JMU continues to struggle on offense like they did last week (not in total yards and overall offense but execution, turnovers and failed redzone offense) ... Liberty wins this one 21-17
jcmanson
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Liberty

Post by jcmanson »

Yes not having Chapman hurts on paper, but Liberty's defense has played better these first two weeks than they have the entire time Chapman has been in a Liberty uni.
JmuSkinsfan
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: JmuSkinsfan

Post by JmuSkinsfan »

Also ... I think CCSU is a better team than many expected. The NEC appears to be a bit stronger this year ... esp with Wagner playing UR somewhat tightly. JMU really should have won that game 28-3 ... which ... if was the case would not have prompted many conversations ... but JMU had 5 turnovers ... one was even a JMU interception turned fumble on the return ... plenty of blown opportunities for JMU ... including a fumble on the 1 and two deep INTs that were drive killers. Not making excuses ... but JMU's offense ... at least on the STAT sheet ... is putting up big numbers ... it's just not translating onto the scoreboard yet ... and when it does they will be a formidable offense. I think 8 times out of 10 JMU puts up 28 points or more in that game ... they just kept shooting themselves in the foot ... which definitely seems to be a theme if you look at JMU the past 2 years ... hoppefully that gets erased soon
LUnpretty11
I am a fan of: THE Liberty Flames
A.K.A.: Nickster

Post by LUnpretty11 »

If you want to play the what if game then... If Liberty wouldn't have turned it over 7 times against NC State then Liberty wins that ball game. Liberty had more yards on offense (by almost 90), had 4 more first downs than NCST (21-17), and pretty much moved the ball all game, while the defense shut down NCST. Especially the passing game (which proved itself against Wake Forest - proving how good Liberty's secondary and pass rush really is). Liberty has a stacked defense this year, and it has shown over the first 2 games.

So the whole "if JMU doesn't turn it over 5 times then we win by 4 TD's" argument is crap. The game happened the way it did and "well if this or if that" talk is worthless.

As far as this game goes... JMU has done nothing so far this year. 24 combined points in 2 games (10 against UNC). JMU has not recorded a sack yet this season. 49 passing yards against CCSU and a combined 211 passing yards in 2 games. Rushing game looked good against CCSU, but Liberty has shut down the run game in the 2 games they have played. I'll be shocked if JMU scores more than 7 points. I'll be shocked if JMU compiles more than 250 yards of offense. Liberty's defense finally looks like the championship caliber defense they have been capable of being for the last couple of years.

Liberty wins
Dukie95
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: James Madison University

Post by Dukie95 »

JmuSkinsfan wrote:So I've been to both Liberty/JMU games the last two years ... I really am torn on this one because in both games I felt like JMU played down to Liberty ... didn't capitalize on opportunities, and made the games much closer on the scoreboard than they were in the stat book ... but then again ... that is kind of the story of JMU football the past two seasons. This game does make me nervous, although I really don't think JMU should win. It was also tough to gauge the game two years ago at Liberty because of the monsoon that was taking place the whole game that made the offenses pretty one-dimensional.

Last year, JMU's defense absolutely shut down Liberty and their star QB. JMU won 10-3 ... JMU's defense is a bit banged up on the DL this year ... but I still think the defense contains Liberty's offense to a certain extent. I say they give up anywhere from 13-21 points.

JMU's offense is a big question mark. Two weeks ago Justin Thorpe looked amazing against UNC but the running game was pretty non-existant against UNC's big defensive line. Last week, the passing game was non-existant while the Dukes rushed for over 350 yards. I think JMU's offense moves the ball a lot better against a Chapman-less Liberty DL ... and breaks some big runs ... combined with some big play-action passes ... I think Thorpe comes out a little better in this one. JMU offense puts up between 17 and 27 points.

So ... as you can see my scores overlap ... so I could see Liberty either winning this one 21-17 ... or JMU winning anywhere from 17-13 to 28-13.

I don't want to say this game is a "toss-up" but it being at Liberty does scare me. If JMU plays up to its potential, which I suspect they are DUE to do ... JMU wins this one 28-17 ... if JMU continues to struggle on offense like they did last week (not in total yards and overall offense but execution, turnovers and failed redzone offense) ... Liberty wins this one 21-17
I think this analysis is spot-on. For the first time in this three year series, I think we have a better chance of losing than winning this game.

I'm not so sure Asa being out really helps JMU's cause. Not to downplay what he means to Liberty, but he struck me as being large and slow and I'm not sure he was much of a force in our other two games. We know what Asa brings...the guy coming in to replace him could be faster and looking to prove himself...I'd rather face the devil we know rather than the devil we don't know.

However, their (remaining) two all AA candidates do scare me. Brown and Summers are seniors now and this is their third and final shot at this. I would guess they want it pretty badly by now, and as the heart of the team, they will all rally behind them both for this one, I'm sure.
jcmanson
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Liberty

Post by jcmanson »

Dukie95 wrote:However, their (remaining) two all AA candidates do scare me. Brown and Summers are seniors now and this is their third and final shot at this. I would guess they want it pretty badly by now, and as the heart of the team, they will all rally behind them both for this one, I'm sure.
Don't forget about our 3rd AA candidate, 2 time All American and preseason All American K Matt Bevins :thumb: