#20 USD @ #18 NDSU BISON*

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JBB
Level3
Level3

#20 USD @ #18 NDSU BISON*

Post by JBB »

Big game Saturday at The Prestigious Fabulous Fargo Dome. I have this to say about that:

One of the obvious keys to the Coyotes is their weak 4th quarter on both sides of the ball. Im not sure why. In their first two games they played their starters to the end. Game one was a loss and game 2 a win. Both games were hotly contested.

There is no strength of schedule advantage. Both teams have played very good competition and both have some success. The most consistent thing between the 2 teams is the NDSU BISON defense. It has been stifling in the 3 games. The USD offense has also been consistent in the last 2 games. They have demonstrated they can score but clearly they are a passing team.

Once again I think the BISON offense is ready to move. I wouldn't be so quick with that but Brock Jensen showed he could move the team. Its true Morgan State may not be as good as USD but I think NDSU is up to the task. I certainly expect Jensen to start.

One of these days The BISON are going to get this running game straightened out. It has shown flashes in every game. They need to sustain it. I think a more effective passing game, like we saw under Jensen last week will help the running game. He is also a very credible running threat. That's another reason I think things will be better for The BISON on offense.

The NDSU defense has been so strong and so consistent against top level competition that I have to believe 30 points is out of reach for the 'Yotes. This game could look a lot like the 22-20 UNI/SFA game. Based on what I saw from Brock Jensen last week if there is a break out I think it will be The BISON. Im giving them the route potential.

This is a big game.

Its in Fargo but it's a regional battle overshadowing anything else in the 2 states and its 2 of the BIG 3 College athletic programs in the Dakotas going head to head. The BIG 3 are: NDSU, SDSU and USD.

Its big time FCS football between 2 nationally ranked powers and old rivals.

Both are dome teams. Both understand the struggles with the weather in the tailgate lot.

Its an opportunity for NDSU to set itself up for the Dakota Football Championship as decided between the BIG 3: NDSU, SDSU and USD.

Their is quiet confidence being displayed by the NDSU fans. The team is quiet, busy with practice.

Both teams have beaten the Gophers. Both have big FBS wins this season.

I think it will sellout and be in the top 5 games attendance wise in NDSU BISON history.

Ill pick 20-14 NDSU.
Last edited by JBB on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
Hambone
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: U of North Dakota

Re: #20 USD @ #21 NDSU BISON

Post by Hambone »

I don't think that you made it clear enough that there are only three teams in the Dakotas that are worth a darn, and UND is not one. You need to repeat yourself at least three times :)
THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING HAWKS
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I'm 75% sure most of what he says is schtick, but I can't tell.

I just play it off as schtick and laugh at most of it.
Benne
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SDSU & Montana
A.K.A.: benne

Post by Benne »

Is there anyway you can both lose?
mebison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by mebison »

I'm dead serious that these are my favorite threads. The thing is that 95% of it is actually pretty good overview and analysis, but then there's something in there that makes you go, "wait, what???" The 3 decent dakota schools, ku is a perennial power, UNI lost to SFA because they had been so abused by NDSU. I don't know if its schtick or not, but it cracks me up.
Thread-killer extraordinaire.
mebison
Level2
Level2

Post by mebison »

Benne wrote:Is there anyway you can both lose?
Oh come on, be nice. :( That hurts my little feelings.
Benne
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SDSU & Montana
A.K.A.: benne

Post by Benne »

mebison wrote:
I'm absolutely miserable watching the Jacks head into Lincoln. I doing my best to try and knock everybody else down. :rofl:
SloStang
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Post by SloStang »

I am pulling for USD. If USD wins then I will pull for them to lose to UND. Seeing that NDSU is ducking UND, it is as close as we will get to a real game between the two. :rofl:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

You could send the SDSU football players to block the players from entering the field. :rofl:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Benne wrote:
mebison wrote:
I'm absolutely miserable watching the Jacks head into Lincoln. I doing my best to try and knock everybody else down. :rofl:
Huskers are "BIG RED" hot :nod:
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Hambone wrote:I don't think that you made it clear enough that there are only three teams in the Dakotas that are worth a darn, and UND is not one. You need to repeat yourself at least three times :)
I would like to clear up the confusion surrounding the BIG 3 College Athletic Programs in the Dakotas:

The BIG 3 have each distinguished themselves since moving up to Division 1. NDSU has had success beating FBS teams. They have victories over a Big 10, Big 12 and a couple Mac teams, SDSU made the playoffs and USD has beaten an FBS team from the Big 10 too. All of these programs have demonstrated they can reach some pretty high goals. Its only proper to have them grouped together for competition. After all, according to the criteria approved by "The Golden Arm Committee" and outlined above, they are the elite programs in the Dakotas.

Thank you. 8-)
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

USD hasn't done shit since they moved up except catch a BAD B10 team off guard.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JBB wrote:
Hambone wrote:I don't think that you made it clear enough that there are only three teams in the Dakotas that are worth a darn, and UND is not one. You need to repeat yourself at least three times :)
I would like to clear up the confusion surrounding the BIG 3 College Athletic Programs in the Dakotas:

The BIG 3 have each distinguished themselves since moving up to Division 1. NDSU has had success beating FBS teams. They have victories over a Big 10, Big 12 and a couple Mac teams, SDSU made the playoffs and USD has beaten an FBS team from the Big 10 too. All of these programs have demonstrated they can reach some pretty high goals. Its only proper to have them grouped together for competition. After all, according to the criteria approved by "The Golden Arm Committee" and outlined above, they are the elite programs in the Dakotas.

Thank you. 8-)
Ah, "The Golden Arm Committee" :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Gil Dobie wrote:
You could send the SDSU football players to block the players from entering the field. :rofl:
Actually that used to be a moment of drama back in the Dacotah Field days. The BISON would always come out first. The visitors entered the field from the west end of the north stands, take a left and head out to the field around the 30. By that time the BISON would be lined up along the north sideline for the anthem. There was always some shoulder bumping and pushing etc. It was an intimidation tactic of the BISON in that era. By the 80s it had become an issue in the NCC and one of the schools from up north that would always complain about NDSU at the winter meetings got some kind of rule passed. After that the BISON would move aside in an intimidating manner.
Last edited by JBB on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

clenz wrote:USD hasn't done **** since they moved up except catch a BAD B10 team off guard.
Thats enough to meet the criteria necessary for membership in the BIG 3 as established by the respected Golden Arm Committee clenz.

I passed your greeting on Gil and the Committee expresses their warm wishes to you. I know you were around in the day and watched the visitors try to find their way onto what has now become the Shrine, Dacotah Field.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

The 4th Qtr is by far the best for The NDSU BISON. They have scored 27 of their 50 pts in the 4th and the opponents have been shut out.

The NDSU defense has allowed 28 pts in 3 games.
Thumper 76
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: South Dakota State

Post by Thumper 76 »

mebison wrote:
As long as it doesn't hurt your big feelings I think ill side with Benne on this and hope you both pull off a loss.
Please don't tell Obama what comes after a Trillion.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Thumper 76 wrote:
mebison wrote:
As long as it doesn't hurt your big feelings I think ill side with Benne on this and hope you both pull off a loss.
That's okay, because I'm a long-time Nebraska fan. :nod: :thumb:
mebison
Level2
Level2

Post by mebison »

Thumper 76 wrote:
mebison wrote:
I don't have big feelings. As a proper upper-midwesterner, I must keep all feelings bottled up inside, and, frankly, there isn't enough room for big feelings.

Oh, and just for that I hope Big Red chews you all up like their namesake :ugeek:
Hambone
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: U of North Dakota

Post by Hambone »

JBB wrote:

Thank you. 8-)
I forgot about the Golden Arm Committee. Thanks for the clarification! :thumb:
THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING HAWKS
JBB
Level3
Level3

Re: #17 USD @ #18 NDSU BISON*

Post by JBB »

The BISON have a big ? at QB. The Coach wont reveal to the Forum who the QB is going to be, Jose Mohler or Brock Jensen.

Mohler has been the starter in all three games. He was injured just before the half against Morgan State. Jensen came in and threw a TD pass. He had a rough third qtr but threw for 2 TDs and engineered 3 scoring drives in the 4th. Mohler doesnt have a TD pass in 2.5 games. His per game averages look very much like Jensen's single half of play. What would Jensens stats look like if he had a full game? Would they double Jose Mohlers?

Coach has to go with Brock Jensen, or put Jose on a very, very short leash. LIke 1 or 2 unproductive drives and you are out.

Since Mohler was injured last week, concussion, we might hear that the coaches hand was forced because Mohler didn't get in a full week of practice and then put Jensen on a short leash? I prefer this way.
Last edited by JBB on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

I have the Coyotes are going to take this one i feel as so far to be honest NDSU's offense to say the least has only been good against a average MEAC team which isnt saying alot. The coyotes have one of the most dynamic offenses in the Great West and i think that the Bison are not going to be as pumped as the Yotes this game:

-USD: 31
-NDSU: 13
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Going with NDSU since they're at home. Would not be surprised by any outcome though I don't think
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

I would like to clarify what I mean when I say a team got the stuffing knocked out of them. When you get an upset it means that a team that was preceived to be weaker, or was actually weaker, beat a stronger team. The weaker team often gets "the stuffing knocked out of them" and loses the following weak.

It doesnt happen all the time, but there are some prime examples from recent history and it happens a lot with NDSU.

Take for instance the first BISON @ Gophers 2006. The Gophers won but lost the following week 44-0.

Look at UNI. Last year they came to Fargo and won a big game. Following week lost 27-7. Same thing happened this year but the score was 22-20. Its the phenomonon of getting the stuffing knocked out of you.

It can happen between equally matched teams too. Sometimes it doesnt matter who won the game, it isnt decided until each team plays the following week and you find out who got the stuffing knocked out of them. Prime example BISON @ Gophers. NDSU wins. Gophers lose the following week.

NDSU won after both Gopher games and beat SIU and SUU.
Last edited by JBB on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

JBB wrote:I would like to clarify what I mean when I say a team got the stuffing knocked out of them. When you get an upset it means that a team the was preceived to be weaker, or was actually weaker, beat a stronger team. The weaker team often gets "the stuffing knocked out of them" and loses the following weak.

It doesnt happen all the time, but there are some prime examples from recent history and it happens a lot with NDSU.

Take for instance the first BISON @ Gophers 2006. The Gophers won but lost the following week 44-0.

Look at UNI. Last year they came to Fargo and won a big game. Following week lost 27-7. Same thing happened this year but the score was 22-20. Its the phenomonon of getting the stuffing knocked out of you.

It can happen between equally matched teams too. Sometimes it doesnt matter who won the game, it isnt decided until each team plays the following week and you find out who got the stuffing knocked out of them. Prime example BISON @ Gophers. NDSU wins. Gophers lose the following week.

NDSU won after both Gopher games and beat SIU and SUU.
Nevermind the fact that in both UNI's and Minnesota's cases, they all played excellent teams in those following weeks.

Last year, UNI lost to SIU 27-20 (not 27-7..), who was ranked in the top 5 in the entire country.

Last week, UNI lost to SFA, who is ranked in the top 10 in the entire country. A team that is/was ranked higher than UNI.

And in 2006, Minnesota (who was terrible, btw) played freaking #1 Ohio St the following week. :lol: :lol: :lol: I suppose is was convenient to leave out all of these facts.

But, I'm sure all those losses were the doing of the bizon. :clap: :clap: :clap: :rofl: It must be bad up there in Fargo when you are forced to claim some sort of moral "victories", with that ridiculous spin. :clap: :lol:
UNI FIGHT