UALBANY Proposed Stadium Flyover-Shovel Ready?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Re: UALBANY Proposed Stadium Flyover-Shovel Ready?

Post by danefan »

CAA Flagship wrote:It just dawned on me after seeing the structure being built behind the stands that it looks like you guys didn't build enough seats along the sidelines. Looks like it should have gone much higher, or at least have the capability of going much higher. No?

Hey danedan, on another note, are you coming to Norfolk for the game against Old Dominion?
Not sure if you are saying more seats Ina addition to the yet to be installed upper deck or just more than what you see now?

There's an entire second deck of seating going in.

Not sure about my road trips yet. Thinking of JMU for family weekend so I'm not sure I can make two VA road games.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

danefan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:It just dawned on me after seeing the structure being built behind the stands that it looks like you guys didn't build enough seats along the sidelines. Looks like it should have gone much higher, or at least have the capability of going much higher. No?

Hey danedan, on another note, are you coming to Norfolk for the game against Old Dominion?
Not sure if you are saying more seats Ina addition to the yet to be installed upper deck or just more than what you see now?

Not sure about my road trips yet. Thinking of JMU for family weekend so I'm not sure I can make two VA road games.
That answers the question. The upper deck makes all the difference.

Family weekend in Harrisonburg? You got the beach here and it will still be nice in late September. If the weather does not completely cooperate, you have Busch Gardens and Williamsburg as a fallback. Hell, do both. Not as much family stuff to do in Harrisonburg.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
danefan wrote:

Family weekend in Harrisonburg? You got the beach here and it will still be nice in late September. If the weather does not completely cooperate, you have Busch Gardens and Williamsburg as a fallback. Hell, do both. Not as much family stuff to do in Harrisonburg.
Sorry, slight clarification - its JMU's family weekend. I can barely get my wife to Albany home games. Her going to to VA for a game is a non-starter.

I haven't really decided yet. So many good road games this year in the CAA.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Norfolk is nice, once you get out of Norfolk.

I keed. I keed. ODU is a great tailgate. Flaggy knows how to run it.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
slycat
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas State

Post by slycat »

The new stadium is coming along great. Really nice addition for Albany.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

CAA Flagship wrote:Family weekend in Harrisonburg? You got the beach here and it will still be nice in late September. If the weather does not completely cooperate, you have Busch Gardens and Williamsburg as a fallback. Hell, do both. Not as much family stuff to do in Harrisonburg.
nless you have family in Harrisonburg, then it's a full weekend of ass play and in breeding.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

andy7171 wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Family weekend in Harrisonburg? You got the beach here and it will still be nice in late September. If the weather does not completely cooperate, you have Busch Gardens and Williamsburg as a fallback. Hell, do both. Not as much family stuff to do in Harrisonburg.
nless you have family in Harrisonburg, then it's a full weekend of ass play and in breeding.
Yee Haw.
In the land of chicken farms, the fun with poultry is endless. :kisswink:
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Turf is going down and they are prepping the endzone berm for sod to be laid.

The upper deck won't go in until they get everything up into the press box that needs to be craned in.
pantherrob82
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: UNI, Montana, UNH, McNees

Post by pantherrob82 »

danefan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: That answers the question. The upper deck makes all the difference.

Sorry, slight clarification - its JMU's family weekend. I can barely get my wife to Albany home games. Her going to to VA for a game is a non-starter.

I haven't really decided yet. So many good road games this year in the CAA.
But when will you play ODU again? Seems like an easy choice. :)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

CAA Flagship wrote:
danefan wrote:

Baloney. Skyline Drive, beautiful fall foliage, between Shenandoah National Park and the George Washington National Forest a plethora great hiking & camping areas, 1/2 doz caverns, freshwater fishing. Shenandoah Valley is a lot nicer than Norfolk any time of the year....
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

andy7171 wrote:
No, that would be a little further west in WV.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Turf is almsot all down. Looking forward to the graphics.

bosiydid
I am a fan of: Albany

Post by bosiydid »

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Boy, that looks terrible. Minor league city baby!

(sorry, j/k ;) - trying to keep some balance to all the gushing praise)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Dane (or any other UA fans): This is probably mentioned somewhere prior on this thread, but don't feel like looking for it. Wiki says grass surface. Is that still correct?
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

BDKJMU wrote:Dane (or any other UA fans): This is probably mentioned somewhere prior on this thread, but don't feel like looking for it. Wiki says grass surface. Is that still correct?
Look a couple of posts up. It's turf.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

ASUG8 wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Dane (or any other UA fans): This is probably mentioned somewhere prior on this thread, but don't feel like looking for it. Wiki says grass surface. Is that still correct?

Maybe they just painted the field for football four months early. :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

ASUG8 wrote:
Ok, thanks. Think UD went grass to turf 2010, and Albany according to wiki was grass. Think URI has been the only grass the last couple of seasons. So that means URI will still be the only grass this season, and it will be URI and Elon next season.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

BDKJMU wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:
Ok, thanks. Think UD went grass to turf 2010, and Albany according to wiki was grass. Think URI has been the only grass the last couple of seasons. So that means URI will still be the only grass this season, and it will be URI and Elon next season.
Albany's wiki is prob about about our old field.

Our new stadium is completely new. Not a renovation and it does have fieldturf.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Frame went up for the upper deck today. Yes, they're worked all weekend.

Nice touch with a purple powder coat.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Upper deck is coming along nicely. Scoreboard is also going up (52'+ high when completed). Landscaping and hardscaping also started.

danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Also, all four luxury suites have been sold for $150k each. Naming rights for the grass berm is likely to be sold for $120-150k as well and naming rights go out to bid soon.
Even the grass (whether it's fake or real) at the new football stadium will be backed by sponsorships and big donors.
UAlbany expects to soon begin bidding naming rights for its $18 million stadium, which is on track to be ready before the football team's Sept. 14 home opener against Rhode Island.

In addition, UAlbany is selling four luxury suites. All are sold—each at $150,000 for a five-year contract.
One suite buyer is CHA, the largest engineering firm in the Capital Region (and also a company working on the stadium project). The other is the university's alumni association, according to athletics director.

During a tour of the construction on June 19, McElroy declined to name the other two suite holders. He has generally described them as a financial institution and a nonprofit.

The stadium suites have 10 seats each, a mix of plush leather high-backs and bar stools. A five-year lease costs $150,000, including catering, a mini-fridge and TV.

About that grass: UAlbany is a little more than halfway toward its $1 million fundraising goal to name the (artificial turf) playing field after head coach. Ford, age 75, will be coaching his 44th season at UAlbany—racking up more wins than any other active Division I coach[/url].
The stadium also features a grassy berm behind one end zone. McElroy tells me UAlbany will sell a five-year corporate sponsorship for that, aiming to take in between $125,000 to $150,000.

The berm will be named theLee McElroy Family Berm Area.

The scoreboard, at the opposite end of the field, will have HD video and eight advertising panels, the first of which was being hoisted into place on Wednesday.
Henny
I am a fan of: Fightin' Blue Hens

Post by Henny »

I just wanted to compliment Albany on a very nice new football facility. That place is really something to be proud of :thumb: Welcome to the CAA!
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Interesting article today:

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/articl ... to-4824950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It might get bigger.

The elevator shaft that will carry passengers from the ground floor to the suites and press box was built all the way to the roof, which suggests the school's aspirations of adding another layer of seating, a second tier of luxury suites and a building for locker rooms and offices is more than a Hail Mary pass. It might actually happen.

The expansion would bring capacity to 25,000. When and if the stadium does expand, of course, depends on finding funding. As is, the stadium is expected to be completed within the $24 million budget; Expansion would add about another $20 million.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Scoreboard is just about finished being installed.

The main video board is 38 x 21.5 making it the 8th largest in FCS according to Wiki.

There are also two smaller video boards on the bottom sides (6' x 11') that will be used for player stats, targeted ads, etc...

The white sections are placeholders for ads and I belive the horribly plain top white section with the UAlbany logo will be replaced when the naming rights are sold (currently out to bid).