UALBANY Proposed Stadium Flyover-Shovel Ready?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
uofalbany
I am a fan of: UAlbany Great Danes

Re: UALBANY Proposed Stadium Flyover-Shovel Ready?

Post by uofalbany »

bosiydid wrote:Based on what I've been told directly/indirectly, .... and the stadium will be named after Bob Ford.
As it should be, as it should be.

Message for danefan, you sure know how to pick those avatars!
Ride 'em cowboy!
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

uofalbany wrote:
bosiydid wrote:Based on what I've been told directly/indirectly, .... and the stadium will be named after Bob Ford.

Ride 'em cowboy!
:thumb:

Welcome!
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

https://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/107 ... M_ID=15800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest info. Looks like this will be Phase I.

6,000 seats on one side to start with the infrastructure in place for expansion to 24,000 in phases as appropriate.

I'm assuming it will include the tower/boxes in Phase I (based on cost), but I'm not 100% sure.

Timeline calls for opening game September 2012 against Colgate.
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

That's some fancy digs, right there.

What's on the mezzanine level? Is that concessions, more suites .... adult dancing? (<--that might drive some extra attendees :D )
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
Dane96
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: University at Albany
A.K.A.: Dane96

Post by Dane96 »

To me, that's press box, operations and coaching booths. The expansion for suites and amenities will likely--IMHO--go on top of that pressbox, taking into consideration the height of the elevator shaft that leaves about 15-20 feet for another floor or two of connections.

My guess is the next expansion puts a lower level on the other side...then a deck...then the berms/locker room/meeting areas, then the final two decks if appropriate.

I think that the lower side other side happens within 2 years from the stadium's opening. I will be fine with 10,000 seats for now with two berms of grass to fit another 2,500 or so.
WWII
Level1
Level1

Post by WWII »

danefan wrote:
uofalbany wrote:

Ride 'em cowboy!
:thumb:

Welcome!
Field is Bob Ford Field. Stadium naming rights are still available.
bosiydid
I am a fan of: Albany

Post by bosiydid »

At halftime of today's Maine/UA game both the president of the school (George Philip) and Athletic Director (Dr. Lee McElroy) were on the local TW TV feed.

Philip stated that UA is awaiting some final approvals and that think they will break ground in December before it really freezes while McElroy basically said they are ready to go. The design is completed.

In the lobby today they had a full size seat you could sit in as well as a big poster board of what they will be building in phase I.

danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

According to our AD - the stadium is going to bid by the end of this month and may be ready for the last game of this season.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/morni ... mplex.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The University at Albany is ready to bid $20 million of athletics work—including a football field—by the end of this month, according to athletics director Lee McElroy.

"It is imminent. I expect to go to bid any day now," McElroy said in a Jan. 20 interview.

The centerpiece is a football complex with 7,000 seats, which UAlbany expects to cost $14.2 million to build. The bid will be open for between 30 to 45 days.

McElroy has pitched the football project to state officials for years in attempts to secure funding. He has downsized the project from an original proposal of a 25,000-seat stadium costing up to $60 million.

"This is a recognition that something is better than nothing," McElroy said. "We finally have a lot of momentum going right now."

Heery International, based in Atlanta, has received roughly $1 million to-date for design and planning work, McElroy said. The field could grow to 25,000 seats in future rounds of construction, he said.

Plans call for 5,000 seats to be permanent, including six suites. About 2,500 temporary seats will be set up across the field, on the visitors' sideline.

After a winning bidder is named, UAlbany plans to release bids for naming rights for the complex, and separate rights to name the field itself.

UAlbany is currently deciding what prices to charge for the suites, which it will market after a bidder is named, McElroy said.

The construction bid contains two other projects: about $4 million of renovations to track-and-field facilities, as well as a $1 million recreational venue for the general student body.

McElroy said he hopes to have the football work in time for UAlbany's final home football game this fall.
bosiydid
I am a fan of: Albany

Post by bosiydid »

Press conference this Wednesday at 3:30PM that will be covered by local media announcing the new stadium. Bids have gone out and are due back I believe Feb 21...construction will commence in April.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

This might explain why Albany is playing at Maine 2 years in a row........Cosgrove probably agreed to another 2 game series IF Maine could play in the new stadium in 2013.
Go Black Bears!
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Press Conference today on the stadium....

Bids are due back on the 21st of February...so I am sure this will just solidify a few details.

What we know so far (courtesy of Dane96's summary):

1. Construstion will begin in April

2. They have notified the Giants of the Construction, and that it will not effect the Super Bowl Champs Training Camp

3. They hope to finish construction for the last game of the 2012 season. Personally, I wish they'd wait and make it a big deal for opening day 2013.

4. Details that have been reported with the variences in the reporting
-6,500 - 7,500 capacity Phase 1 up to 25,000 capacity in future build-outs
-Pressbox w/ VIP Suites (we have heard 6)
-Approx 2,500 seats will be temporary on the visitors side
-Aprox 4500- 5000 seats on the home side will be permanent and will include concrete casted lower bowl and steel bleacher upper deck
-Concessions and Bathrooms
-Lockerrooms will remain in the gym building (short work). They were recently
renovated to the tune of a $500,0000. They will remain there until one of the
final phases of construction.
- Grass Berm will provide additional seating (approx 2,500)
-Naming rights up for bid shortly
-Cost= $14.2 million - 20 million, with only a quarter of that coming from the state
-New Student Rec Field with Field Turf and Lights. Cost $1 million
-Refurbishment of the Track and Field / Football stadium to create a track only stadium for one of the best Track squads on the Eastern Seaboard. Cost $4mm

Total Project cost = $18 - 24 million
Brock Landers
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Things

Post by Brock Landers »

Refurbishment of the Track and Field / Football stadium to create a track only stadium for one of the best Track squads on the Eastern Seaboard. Cost $4mm

:clap: :clap:
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Phase I to include permanent seating for 4,000, temporary bleachers for 2,000 and berm seating for an additional 2,000.

They say construction will be done mid season and we'll actually get a home game here this year. We'll see about that though.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Black turf?! :shock: ;)

Based on the earlier post, they are removing the track? :thumb:
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

89Hen wrote:Black turf?! :shock: ;)

Based on the earlier post, they are removing the track? :thumb:
Its being relocated and the track is being redone.

You can see the new layout here:

And the new track and field facility here:

SeawolvesFan90
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Stony Brook University
A.K.A.: Seawolves

Post by SeawolvesFan90 »

looks like a watered down LaValle Stadium to me...

is it really that hard for NY to provide funding for a full phase I horseshoe?... Sometimes I wonder if we are truly the "Empire State" we advertise to everyone else... this is one of the SUNY "flagship" Universities here and they can provide enough funding to at least get rid of the benches...

I know collegiate athletics is not a priority for New York State, but seriously? other states can provide legitimate stadiums to their State Universities, this state can't get its sh*t together...
Stony Brook Fans, Join us at http://www.sbufan.createaforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go Seawolves!!
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

SeawolvesFan90 wrote:looks like a watered down LaValle Stadium to me...

is it really that hard for NY to provide funding for a full phase I horseshoe?... Sometimes I wonder if we are truly the "Empire State" we advertise to everyone else... this is one of the SUNY "flagship" Universities here and they can provide enough funding to at least get rid of the benches...

I know collegiate athletics is not a priority for New York State, but seriously? other states can provide legitimate stadiums to their State Universities, this state can't get its sh*t together...
It is exactly a watered down Lavalle.

Its all about politics and who you have in your back pocket in NYS. We don't have a Lavalle willing to fight for us. That's the difference.

We're happy to have anything at this point and I do agree that it's a sad state of affairs.
slycat
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas State

Post by slycat »

Glad y'all are getting a new stadium just wish it was a little more. At least it is expandable. Hope y'all pack it out and cause a reason to build it out.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

danefan wrote:Its being relocated and the track is being redone.

You can see the new layout here:
:thumb: Didnt' realize they were moving football.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

danefan wrote:Image
BTW... parking?! :?
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

89Hen wrote:
danefan wrote:Image
BTW... parking?! :?
The lot next to the stadium will stay for priority season ticket holders.

There are other, much larger lots not shown on that picture but within walking distance that are currently jsed on gameday and will remain. There are also lots in the nearby state office campus that is walk able, but will also have shuttles for overflow.
Seawolf97
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: StonyBrook
A.K.A.: SBU

Post by Seawolf97 »

The Danes deserve this . They have been waiting what seems like eons with false starts and rumors and delays by the State. We arent building Met Life Stadium here , just a comfortable , fan friendly environment. Now maybe we can paly eachother. :thumb:
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Field specs and design

The purple strip is a ramp down the grass berm that the players will use to run onto the field. The lockerrooms are staying in the next building over for now.

I like it. Simple and classy.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

I'm not sure I've seen a home stadium with two different color endzones. :|
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

89Hen wrote:I'm not sure I've seen a home stadium with two different color endzones. :|
Me neither now that you mention it. Mostly reserved for neutral sites.

I like it though...assuming the Purple is the "right" purple. The picture shows a purple that's too light. The purple that is in the center logo is the right shade.