Jesus, SWAC!

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Jesus, SWAC!

Post by MrTitleist »

Time to disband this conference.. sweet jesus.
ImageImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Jesus, SWAC!

Post by MrTitleist »

Coupled with this..
keydet21
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: VMI

Post by keydet21 »

Probably doesn't help when you have facilities like this...

and this...

Just a terrible, underfunded conference.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

MrTitleist wrote:Time to disband this conference.. sweet jesus.
How about remove ppl in positions of authority nothing wrong with the conference just the folks that are making decisions.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

keydet21 wrote:Probably doesn't help when you have facilities like this...

and this...

Just a terrible, underfunded conference.
This song when it comes to finances describe the SWAC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKXOlKb_ ... ata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

dal4018 wrote:
How about remove ppl in positions of authority nothing wrong with the conference just the folks that are making decisions.
Yeah, I'm sure SWAC schools really attract the best and brightest young minds. :coffee:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Oh no! St. Francis (PA) can't make the playoffs! My preseason predictions are shot now. :ohno:
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

dal4018 wrote:
:dunce:

The conference is a joke. A f*cking joke. :nod:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

dal4018 wrote:
I had a shitty day...thanks for the huge laugh! :thumb: :notworthy:
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

dal4018 wrote:
When 6 of the 12 schools in ALL of D1 facing bans are HBCUs it says a lot about the entire conference, from top to bottom...and HBCUs in general.

Jackson State is as 931...cut off for a ban is 930

Oh...wait...JSU is SWAC

Their cut off is 910....because the SWAC is so bad at doing anything right the NCAA made an exception for them. Also, 20 points is a HUGE difference in the APR
GrizFan5
Level1
Level1

Post by GrizFan5 »

Oh no, a conference that doesn't participate in the playoffs has a bunch of the teams that can't participate in post-season play. Would the ban affect the conference championship game?
bobwoodshed
I am a fan of: Portland State

Post by bobwoodshed »

GrizFan5 wrote:Would the ban affect the conference championship game?
That is a sad and kind of hilarious proposition. The 2014 SWAC Championship Game will now be between #5 vs #8 due to post-season bans.
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Post by DSUrocks07 »

Cluck U wrote:
dal4018 wrote:How about remove ppl in positions of authority nothing wrong with the conference just the folks that are making decisions.
:dunce:

The conference is a joke. A f*cking joke. :nod:
because of decisions made by those in charge of said conference :coffee:
MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Post by DSUrocks07 »

And do what with their membership? I highly doubt that any of these schools will be able to find membership in the Southland, or OVC.
MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

bobwoodshed wrote:
GrizFan5 wrote:Would the ban affect the conference championship game?
That is a sad and kind of hilarious proposition. The 2014 SWAC Championship Game will now be between #5 vs #8 due to post-season bans.
I asked this on AGS a while back.

It would have no impact on the SWAC title game. That is put on by the conference and not the NCAA...it's not "post season".

The ban has no impact on that. The conference can chose to hold them out but apparently that's only happened once.
GrizFan5
Level1
Level1

Post by GrizFan5 »

clenz wrote:
bobwoodshed wrote:
I asked this on AGS a while back.

It would have no impact on the SWAC title game. That is put on by the conference and not the NCAA...it's not "post season".

The ban has no impact on that. The conference can chose to hold them out but apparently that's only happened once.
Would there not be a problem with the restriction on the number of games in a season and the period in which those games can occur? Just asking. Don't know.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I'm not down on the SWAC about this sort of thing. I'm down on the NCAA. That APR thing is horrible. It holds athletes to a higher standard than the general student population. If they're going to hold athletic programs accountable for athletes' graduation rates what they ought to be doing is comparing the graduation rate of athletes at each school to the graduation rate of the general student population at the same school. Then if the graduation rate of athletes is "significantly" lower there might be an issue. What the NCAA is doing now is ridiculous.

It makes no sense to say that athletes have to do better than the general student body. If anything one would expect that they would not do as well as the general student body because most of the general student body is there because they want to go to college while there are many athletes that would not be going to college if they weren't there to play sports.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

The only thing the apr requires is the athletes are eligible. If they area eligible they have zero negative impact on apr
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by MrTitleist »

Student athletes generally have access to better resources than the average student population, I would think they should be held to a higher standard.
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

MrTitleist wrote:Student athletes generally have access to better resources than the average student population, I would think they should be held to a higher standard.
If they are on scholarship, getting a free ride, they should be held to a higher standard.

Someone else, someone who cared about their grades, could be in their place getting an education for free. :nod:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

The extra help scholarship athletes get is designed to make it more likely that they will graduate. But that just means schools are already working hard to help them graduate.

And as far as I can tell it works. For the most part, at each given school, scholarship athletes do graduate at a higher rate than the general student population does.

And think about it. Say you're a scholarship football player. You have to go to practice. You have to travel during the fall semester. The "typical" student doesn't have to deal with that. Think about being in college. Think about having to go every afternoon during the fall semester busting your ass to the point of exhaustion for several hours every day then having to study. Then many times you're traveling Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday.

Add to that the fact that, at least with some sports, you're talking about people who are, on average, of lower IQ than the general student population to begin with. Sorry to be so blunt about that. But it's true for some sports. It may not be true about women's tennis. But it probably IS true about football and basketball. Again: A substantial proportion of athletes in those sports would not be in college if they weren't good football or basketball players.

All things considered, holding athletes to a higher standard academically just isn't rational.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came