Football Championship Subdivision discussions
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Re: #6 Georgia Southern @ #1 North Dakota State

Post by EWURanger »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
EWURanger wrote:That kick had zero chance. WTF was Monken doing?
They didn't have a choice. 30 seconds, no timeouts, and no passing game. The kicker must have at least had the leg to make it or I doubt it would've been attempted.

GSU lost this by wasting 2 timeouts on NDSU's go-ahead drive. Not to mention the personal fouls.
It's called run for three yards and spike the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BisoNation
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

Post by BisoNation »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! The best game I have ever been to. Neither team played their best game but props to Georgia Southern, unreal team.

See you all in Frisco!
The strength of the herd is the bison and the strength of the bison is the herd.

Hail the Bison
2011 FCS National Champions
2011 & 2012 MVFC Champions
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:I gotta tell ya', I was pulling for NDSU anyway but if Georgia Southern would've won that game it would've been another illustration of luck playing a role in football. Calling personal foul on that roughing the kicker penalty was total crap. That guy was barely touched.

I think they ought to implement replay on that penalty because you see SO often that kickers do that acting job thing and draw the penalty. That is total crap. I am SO glad that Georgia Southern wasn't rewarded with a victory for that crap.
They called it by the book, and that play made up for the refs not calling the blatant offsides on the play before that resulted in the big sack.

In the end, the bad calls balanced themselves out, and GSU's lack of a kicking game **** 'em.
He doesn't understand the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BisoNation
Level1
Level1

Post by BisoNation »

Reading through this thread you all have an immense hate for NDSU don't you? I realize you have had bad experiences with fans online, but it's the freaking internet. The NDSU football program is a classy program and Bohl is one of the most well respected coaches in the country.

Glad we could prove all the haters wrong tonight.
The strength of the herd is the bison and the strength of the bison is the herd.

Hail the Bison
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

BisoNation wrote:Reading through this thread you all have an immense hate for NDSU don't you? I realize you have had bad experiences with fans online, but it's the freaking internet. The NDSU football program is a classy program and Bohl is one of the most well respected coaches in the country.

Nobody hates NDSU football, it is the forum fans. Unfortunately, on the few FCS boards, there are a plethora of Bison douchebag fans. We all know if we went to a game it would be 98% cool people.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BisoNation
Level1
Level1

Post by BisoNation »

SeattleGriz wrote:
BisoNation wrote:Reading through this thread you all have an immense hate for NDSU don't you? I realize you have had bad experiences with fans online, but it's the freaking internet. The NDSU football program is a classy program and Bohl is one of the most well respected coaches in the country.

Nobody hates NDSU football, it is the forum fans. Unfortunately, on the few FCS boards, there are a plethora of Bison douchebag fans. We all know if we went to a game it would be 98% cool people.
Fair enough...

Plane tickets to Dallas booked!

Hail the Bison
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

EWURanger wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
They didn't have a choice. 30 seconds, no timeouts, and no passing game. The kicker must have at least had the leg to make it or I doubt it would've been attempted.

GSU lost this by wasting 2 timeouts on NDSU's go-ahead drive. Not to mention the personal fouls.
It's called run for three yards and spike the ball.
And that accomplishes what, exactly? Makes it a 47-yard field goal instead of 50? Not to mention getting that 3 yards was nowhere near certain against that defense. Even if they get the first down, they're still out of timeouts. They would have had no choice but to chuck deep balls after that, and the interception chance would be quite high in that situation.

This is a no-win scenario for a heavy option team with bad kicking.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

JohnStOnge wrote:
So if NDSU would have won it would have been skill...but if GSU would have won it would have been luck?

GOTCHA...**** pissbag. Go get arrested _____________________.
North Dakota State did win and they overcame that HORRIBLE and CRITICAL official's call to do it. You know damn well that wasn't a personal foul roughing the kicker. And that was HUGE in the game.
That personal foul was more blatant than the roughing the passer called on GSU, and the late hit on the kickoff.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BisoNation
Level1
Level1

Post by BisoNation »

Pwns wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
North Dakota State did win and they overcame that HORRIBLE and CRITICAL official's call to do it. You know damn well that wasn't a personal foul roughing the kicker. And that was HUGE in the game.
That personal foul was more blatant than the roughing the passer called on GSU, and the late hit on the kickoff.
Coming from your totally unbiased opinion...the reffing was bad for both sides tonight

Hail the Bison
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

While I missed the game due to another committment, I highly doubt that the officiating in this game was worse than that outright THEFT that happened in Seattle earlier this year.

Yes, I do seem to remember the 5-yard running into the kicker penalty being removed. I agree that this gives kickers WAY too much leeway in flopping, but the game HAS to be called IAW the rules at the time. Redskins fans STILL whine about losing the NFL Championship Game because Sammy Baugh's pass from his own end zone (that SHOULD have hit his receiver in stride for the longest touchdown in history) resulted in a game-losing safety because it hit Washington's own goal post (it was on the goal line at the time). The rule was changed the next year, as I'm sure some people may look into for this penalty. I was never a fan of removing that rule; it was because officials have a hard time discerning intent, but intent shouldn't matter: you graze the kicker, it's five, and if you plow into him, it's 15. What's the problem with that?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by FargoBison »

CatBlitz22 wrote:NDSU is like any team from Philly. People hate them because of their fans.
It's not even that really, they hate NDSU because of 8 or 9 people that post on the internet. The people that actually hang out with our real fans say completely opposite things. People can keep hating I guess but it is pretty ridiculous....
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
EWURanger wrote:That kick had zero chance. WTF was Monken doing?

I try to watch only the fat guys and ignore the football, and in particular this game I was watching Russell and the NDSU interior OL. I think when Russel went out of the game that played a huge factor in GSU losing it. Before he got injured the NDSU interior OL was really struggling to handle him. He went down with 5+ min left in the 2nd qtr with that ankle injury. He came back on the end of that drive right before NDSU kicked that FG, and played the whole second half, but he clearly wasn't the same. He went from being dominant AA to a hobbling around avg DT. 99% of the people watching aren't focused soley on the interior line play, so they wouldn't have noticed. If there had actually been an ex lineman commentator that likely would have been pointed out.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

BDKJMU wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:

I try to watch only the fat guys and ignore the football, and in particular this game I was watching Russell and the NDSU interior OL. I think when Russel went out of the game that played a huge factor in GSU losing it. Before he got injured the NDSU interior OL was really struggling to handle him. He went down with 5+ min left in the 2nd qtr with that ankle injury. He came back on the end of that drive right before NDSU kicked that FG, and played the whole second half, but he clearly wasn't the same. He went from being dominant AA to a hobbling around avg DT. 99% of the people watching aren't focused soley on the interior line play, so they wouldn't have noticed. If there had actually been an ex lineman commentator that likely would have been pointed out.
I was only watching intermittently so I never saw Russell get hurt. I'm sure that was a major factor, too.

Still, GSU still could've given their offense a fighting chance at the end if they hadn't wasted those timeouts.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

So the bison bitches want the 2010 rematch huh? Fasho!
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Read the rule book, Coach. You touch the kicker's extended leg on a punt, automatic 15 yards, period.
Nothing to say about the elbow drop from the top rope on McKinnon's back while he was down?

Well, at least you didn't have a 15 paragraph dissertation about the play.
Why don't you cite the rule book? One reason I do "dissertation" is that when I make a statement I am willing to take the time to provide specific information and/or references to back up what I say. I wouldn't be shocked if you're correct. But cite the rule.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

MO, there isn't another team left that can beat NDSU...unless it's EWU!
I don't know if you're joking but they looked pretty darned vulnerable last night. I cannot, for example, imagine that offense being able to move the ball at all against Sam Houston State. No, Sam Houston State's defense is not as good as NDSU's is but it's very good and plenty good enough to shut down the Bison offense. I'll be pulling for NDSU in the championship game but seeing them lose to either of the other two teams still alive wouldn't surprise me at all. And I think it's probably going to be Sam Houston State. I hope not but that's what I think is going to happen.
Could I ever be a star?

BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Read the rule book, Coach. You touch the kicker's extended leg on a punt, automatic 15 yards, period.
Nothing to say about the elbow drop from the top rope on McKinnon's back while he was down?

Well, at least you didn't have a 15 paragraph dissertation about the play.
Why don't you cite the rule book? One reason I do "dissertation" is that when I make a statement I am willing to take the time to provide specific information and/or references to back up what I say. I wouldn't be shocked if you're correct. But cite the rule.
Somewhere on YouTube there's a Samuel L. Jackson version of this, but bc it's late this will have to suffice.

SHUT THE FUCK UP!
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

LDopaPDX wrote:I couldn't believe how bad GA Southern's 2-minute offense was... I realize they're an option team, but certainly they have to practice it from time to time. Their QB literally ran out of throws, looking as amateurish as humanly possible. The other kid came in and bailed them out as NDSU inexplicably goes into man coverage on the outside on 4th and long (???) Then they go back to the other QB and he continued his dogshit game management.

Plus, what was up with all the ticky-tack 15 yard penalites? Lame, for such an important game.
Ah...back in the day...

Long video but to me it was perhaps the best I-AA/FCS championship game ever featuring what I think was the most dominant I-AA/FCS offensive player ever. By that I mean in terms of the player steps on the field and you think, "that guy can't be stopped." And if you can get to about the 7:40 point on the video you get to see him drive his team the length of the film in about a minute to win the national title with about 10 seconds left on the clock. AND that team had a good field goal kicker. Very good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUhrp2Gjnv4[/youtube]
Could I ever be a star?

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

bobbythekidd wrote:If we had performed like we did in the first half for all four quarters.......
:lol:
Sadly, I said the same thing last week. :D
htownbearkat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SHSU

Post by htownbearkat »

Congrats Bison, you are the Chris Carter of FCS. All you do is win football games.
http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/ ... RKNADO.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: bisoninnwmn

Post by Bison Fan in NW MN »

Great game last night by both teams.

I stood and gave the GSU players a standing ovation when they left the field. That triple-option is very good. It is far superior with McKinnon compared with Shaw from last year. Could hardly hear my buddy standing next to me with all of the noise...wow!

Looking forward to going back to Frisco!!!

GO BISON
bison95
Level2
Level2

Post by bison95 »

Never felt during the game that NDSU was the better team! GSU was poised, and moved the ball better than any team against NDSU. I thought the PF on the kicker was the correct call by the refs, and also for the Bison to go after GSU and try and step on their throats. It backfired and GSU made hay! Fun Game to watch, why we love the PLAYOFFS!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

BlackFalkin wrote:So the bison bitches want the 2010 rematch huh? Fasho!
Anyone, anytime, anywhere :thumb:
The Kicker
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Football
A.K.A.: K

Post by The Kicker »

Again great game last night! Here are a few things to chew on.
-NDSU's extra point was blocked in the 1st quarter. IF that didn't happen NDSU would have kicked a FG to tie the game at 20 instead of going for it on 4th and 3. Game would have changed so much GSU would have still had 1 or 2 time outs and would have been playing for OT or to take the lead vs come from behind mode.

-NDSU's punt block attempt. Momentum was clearly on NDSU's side at the time (fumble, TD, 3 and out) and you can't blame the coaches for going for the block after already getting a blocked EXP. GSU's punters leg did hit the NDSU's player on the way down and the call was the right one. IF NDSU played it safe and set up a return vs a block they would have had the lead and would have been a first down away for FG range to extend their lead.

-GSU's penalties. Second half could have been dominated by GSU if it wasn't for all the penalties! Many false starts put them in 3rd and longs and killed a few drives where they were rolling. Russel's late hit on the QB was a fair but questionable call. Had he gave the QB a shove down vs driving him down below the waist it would have been a no call. After that he was called for I think 1 or 2 more personal foul 15 yd calls that aided NDSU to come back. GSU had 8 penalties for 108 yards and most of them killed drives or helped NDSU on scoring drives.

Can't wait for today's game!
biobengal
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Bengals... Black Bears

Post by biobengal »

BisoNation wrote:Reading through this thread you all have an immense hate for NDSU don't you? I realize you have had bad experiences with fans online, but it's the freaking internet.
I wish Idaho State had the level of support the Bison get. IMO, the perception of Bison fans is due to the combination of winning and younger fans. At Idaho State the kids don't care to attend games and most Bengal fans are approaching retirement age; they probably can't even use a computer.