MVFC Week 12 Thread

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BisoNation
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

MVFC Week 12 Thread

Post by BisoNation »

Championship week in the MVFC. If NDSU wins, they win sole possession of the MVFC Title. If Ill St wins, we have a 3 way tie between Ill St, NDSU, SDSU (assuming they beat USD) and Ill St holds the tie breaker. Huge battle for playoff seeding in Normal this weekend.

#18 Indiana State @ Youngstown State
Both teams could be up for a playoff spot with a win this weekend. But I think whoever wins will still come up short of making the field. With that said, I see Indiana State riding Shakir Bell to victory.

South Dakota @ #21 South Dakota State
I'm sure the Coyotes would love nothing more than to prevent instate rival SDSU from making the playoffs, but they don't have the talent to keep up with the Jacks. SDSU rolls at home and is playoff bound.

Western Illinois @ Southern Illinois
Salukis end their season on a high note, destroying instate rival WIU.

Missouri State @ Northern Iowa
My pick here might surprise you, but the way Missouri State has been playing lately and with UNI's 3 point victory over USD last weekend, I'm taking Missouri State.

GAME OF THE WEEK

#1 North Dakota State @ #11 Illinois State

I already explained the title implications and seeding impact this game has. But the game itself should be pretty good. As bad as NDSU's offense has been, Illinois State's defense is not as good as South Dakota State's in my opinion. I don't think their offense is as good either, although NDSU loses starting D-tackle Leevon Perry for the season which will hurt the Bison upfront. However, NDSU is deep enough on the D-line to have others step up. I have the Bison winning 24-10 in a statement road victory building momentum into the playoffs.
The strength of the herd is the bison and the strength of the bison is the herd.

Hail the Bison
2011 FCS National Champions
2011 & 2012 MVFC Champions
isumatt
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: ILLINOIS STATE

Re: MVFC Week 12 Thread

Post by isumatt »

Trees
Jacks
Dawgs
UNI
Birds
-ISUMATT-

Image Image Image

Hancock Stadium Renovation Photos for 2013
isumatt
Level2
Level2

Post by isumatt »

If Illinois State beats North Dakota State and South Dakota beats South Dakota State, ISU gets Missouri Valley's automatic playoff bid.

ISU cannot win tiebreaker for automatic bid if South Dakota State involved.
-ISUMATT-

Image Image Image

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Mr. Popper
SD St
SIU
UNI DESTROYS SW....
NDSU

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BisoNation
Level1
Level1

Post by BisoNation »

isumatt wrote:If Illinois State beats North Dakota State and South Dakota beats South Dakota State, ISU gets Missouri Valley's automatic playoff bid.

Are you sure, I'm hearing that if ISU wins they get the auto-bid, if NDSU wins we obviously get the auto-bid?
The strength of the herd is the bison and the strength of the bison is the herd.

Hail the Bison
JayJ79
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: myself

Post by JayJ79 »

isumatt wrote:ISU cannot win tiebreaker for automatic bid if South Dakota State involved.
why not?

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out the scenarios. But not when it comes to non-roundrobin schedules, where teams don't play everyone else.
FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by FargoBison »

The tiebreakers....

http://www.valley-football.org/news/def ... iebreaker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

isumatt wrote:If Illinois State beats North Dakota State and South Dakota beats South Dakota State, ISU gets Missouri Valley's automatic playoff bid.

Not sure why not. Ill State and SDSU didn't play each other, so their games against the Bison are what would matter. That would get Ill State the auto if they win.
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

FargoBison
Level2
Level2

Post by FargoBison »

Right from my link....
4. If the tied teams did not play each other, then each team’s record against all common opponent s in the league will be used to determine the automatic bid. If the teams are still tied, and they did not play each other, then each team’s record against the next highest common opponent in the league standings will be used to determine the automatic bid.

5.If the teams are still tied, the latest available GPI ranking prior to NCAA selection shall be used as the final tiebreaker.
JayJ79
Level3
Level3

Post by JayJ79 »

I'm still confused. when they're talking about common opponents, does that mean opponents that ALL of the tied teams played? (so if, say, 4 teams are tied, then only games against teams that ALL FOUR of the tied teams played after factored in?)
====================================================
If that is indeed the case for that level of tiebreaker, here is how I see the autobid scenarios:

First, the obvious: if NDSU beats ILS, then the Bison get the autobid

If ILS beats NDSU, SDSU beats USD, and INS beats YSU, then we have a 4-way tie at 6-2. Not all the teams played each other (ILS and SDSU did not meet), so that brings us to multi-tie clause #4.
The common opponents that all 4 tied teams played are: MSU, SIU, USD and YSU.
INS, NDSU and SDSU would have all gone 4-0 against those teams in this scenario, with ILS having gone 2-2.
Would that then eliminate ILS and have the remaining three recurse through the multi-tie process?
If so, all three of those teams did play each other, but the cumulative records amongst the three remaining tied teams are all 1-1, which takes us to the next tiebreaker step: record against all common opponents, but that list is the same as the 4-team-tie list (MSU, SIU, USD, YSU), and the three are still tied.
So it would come down to GPI, which I assume would still be NDSU (even with the loss to ISU).

If ILS beats NDSU, SDSU beats USD, and YSU beats INS, then it would be a three-way tie between the Bison, Jackrabbits, and Redbirds.
Again, ILS didn't play SDSU, so it goes to record against all common opponents, in this case: INS, MSU, SIU, UNI, USD, YSU
NDSU and SDSU would both hold 5-1 records against that group, while ILS would be 4-2
So again, Illinois State would be knocked out, and NDSU get the autobid due to their win over SDSU

If ILS beats NDSU, INS beats YSU, and USD beats SDSU, then it would be a three-way tie between the Bison, Redbirds, and Sycamores.
All three have played each other with ILS going 2-0, INS going 1-1, and NDSU going 0-2. So Illinois State would get the autobid.

And of course, if ILS beats NDSU and both INS and SDSU lose, then the Bison and Redbirds would be co-champs with the Redbirds getting the autobid due to head-to-head.
===========================
Wow, that gave me a headache (and I'm still not sure I interpretted the procedures correctly).
Last edited by JayJ79 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FargoBison
Level2
Level2

Post by FargoBison »

JayJ79 wrote:I'm still confused. when they're talking about common opponents, does that mean opponents that ALL of the tied teams played? (so if, say, 4 teams are tied, then only games against teams that ALL FOUR of the tied teams played after factored in?)
Yes it would be the teams that they have all played, a four team tie goes to GPI.
JayJ79
Level3
Level3

Post by JayJ79 »

FargoBison wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:I'm still confused. when they're talking about common opponents, does that mean opponents that ALL of the tied teams played? (so if, say, 4 teams are tied, then only games against teams that ALL FOUR of the tied teams played after factored in?)
Yes it would be the teams that they have all played, a four team tie goes to GPI.
In this particular case, a 4-team tie would go to GPI, because of how the chips have fallen. But I don't see anything in the procedures that states that a 4-team tie would ALWAYS come down to GPI.
FargoBison
Level2
Level2

Post by FargoBison »

JayJ79 wrote:
FargoBison wrote:
In this particular case, a 4-team tie would go to GPI, because of how the chips have fallen. But I don't see anything in the procedures that states that a 4-team tie would ALWAYS come down to GPI.
That is what I meant, a four team tie in this instance goes to GPI.
isumatt
Level2
Level2

Post by isumatt »

Like I said if ILS and SDSU are involved, ILS isnt getting it
-ISUMATT-

Image Image Image

Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: bisoninnwmn

Post by Bison Fan in NW MN »

isumatt wrote:Like I said if ILS and SDSU are involved, ILS isnt getting it

IMO, an 8-3 Ill State team is still in the playoffs.

I think NDSU/Ill State/SDSU are in the playoffs....with SDSU needing to beat USD to get in. I don't think YSU will get in at 7-4 and an 8-3 Ind State team is definitely on the 'bubble' with their non-counter Quincy game.

3 for sure...maybe 4.
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

====================================================
If that is indeed the case for that level of tiebreaker, here is how I see the autobid scenarios:

First, the obvious: if NDSU beats ILS, then the Bison get the autobid

If ILS beats NDSU, SDSU beats USD, and INS beats YSU, then we have a 4-way tie at 6-2. Not all the teams played each other (ILS and SDSU did not meet), so that brings us to multi-tie clause #4.
The common opponents that all 4 tied teams played are: MSU, SIU, USD and YSU.
INS, NDSU and SDSU would have all gone 4-0 against those teams in this scenario, with ILS having gone 2-2.
Would that then eliminate ILS and have the remaining three recurse through the multi-tie process?
If so, all three of those teams did play each other, but the cumulative records amongst the three remaining tied teams are all 1-1, which takes us to the next tiebreaker step: record against all common opponents, but that list is the same as the 4-team-tie list (MSU, SIU, USD, YSU), and the three are still tied.
So it would come down to GPI, which I assume would still be NDSU (even with the loss to ISU).

If ILS beats NDSU, SDSU beats USD, and YSU beats INS, then it would be a three-way tie between the Bison, Jackrabbits, and Redbirds.
Again, ILS didn't play SDSU, so it goes to record against all common opponents, in this case: INS, MSU, SIU, UNI, USD, YSU
NDSU and SDSU would both hold 5-1 records against that group, while ILS would be 4-2
So again, Illinois State would be knocked out, and NDSU get the autobid due to their win over SDSU

If ILS beats NDSU, INS beats YSU, and USD beats SDSU, then it would be a three-way tie between the Bison, Redbirds, and Sycamores.
All three have played each other with ILS going 2-0, INS going 1-1, and NDSU going 0-2. So Illinois State would get the autobid.

And of course, if ILS beats NDSU and both INS and SDSU lose, then the Bison and Redbirds would be co-champs with the Redbirds getting the autobid due to head-to-head.
===========================
Wow, that gave me a headache (and I'm still not sure I interpretted the procedures correctly).
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

BisoNation
Level1
Level1

Post by BisoNation »

Bison Fan in NW MN wrote:
isumatt wrote:Like I said if ILS and SDSU are involved, ILS isnt getting it

IMO, an 8-3 Ill State team is still in the playoffs.

I think NDSU/Ill State/SDSU are in the playoffs....with SDSU needing to beat USD to get in. I don't think YSU will get in at 7-4 and an 8-3 Ind State team is definitely on the 'bubble' with their non-counter Quincy game.

3 for sure...maybe 4.
Ill State is definitely in the playoffs. He was just implying they weren't getting the auto-bid.

Hail the Bison
ming01
Level1
Level1

Post by ming01 »

YSU 27 ISU 24
SDSU 37 USD 15
SIU 31 WIU 10
UNI 27 MSU 21
ISU 24 NDSU 21

Hate to do it Bison fans but I think we lose and get a 4/5 seed. Waiting for the offense to get out of its funk but that wont be til the playoffs. Defense is getting banged up and much create turnovers or else we will not win. Brown and Walker are good and so is their RB
guinzone
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Youngstown State
A.K.A.: Let's Go Guins

Post by guinzone »

YSU 31 ISU 28
SDSU 28 USD 17
SIU 21 WIU 14
UNI 35 MSU 17
ISU 28 NDSU 24
Proud Youngstown State Fan
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

Certainly is strange talking about MVFC playoff scenarios and no mention of UNI. They'll be back, however.
isumatt
Level2
Level2

Post by isumatt »

Certainly is strange talking about an MVFC title and a playoff scenario and talking about Illinois State!
-ISUMATT-

Image Image Image

Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: bisoninnwmn

Post by Bison Fan in NW MN »

isumatt wrote:Certainly is strange talking about an MVFC title and a playoff scenario and talking about Illinois State!

ISU should have been in the playoffs last year..... :thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

isumatt wrote:Certainly is strange talking about an MVFC title and a playoff scenario and talking about Illinois State!
Good luck in the playoffs Matt :thumb: