A.K.A.: Hornets

Liberty head coach Candidate for ECU opening

Post by fcsplayoff_comsih »

Danny Rocco Liberty head coach is a candidate for the east Carolina Pirates
http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/01/15/968450

UPDATE
Rocco Given Contract Extension Through 2014
http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm? ... 50&TeamID=
Last edited by fcsplayoff_comsih on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Liberty head coach Candidate for ECU opening

Post by dbackjon »

That would hurt Liberty big time
:thumb:
fcsplayoff_comsih
I am a fan of: Sacramento state
A.K.A.: Hornets

Post by fcsplayoff_comsih »

If Coach Rocco would move up it would be great for him & his family.I personally think it would be a great fit for him at East Carolina
kuntryboimike
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Liberty

Post by kuntryboimike »

NO!!!! lotta people would be disappointed...VERY disappointed. Coach Rocco has become part of the Liberty family. this would be disappointing to everyone at Liberty who cares about football. IIIII would be disappointed
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Liberty University

Post by ToTheLeft »

Looks like this is gaining traction. More and more candidates are dropping from the position, and it seems as if it's down to two FCS (past and present) coaches, Dave Clawson, and Coach Rocco. We'll see how this unfolds. Who knows if they have other guys on the radar, but it seems like Rocco is a big time candidate at this point.
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ToTheLeft »

Although it is unclear who might be next on Holland’s list of interviews, leading candidates based on Holland’s search parameters suggest Bowling Green head coach Dave Clawson and Liberty head man Danny Rocco as possible lead candidates now.
http://www.reflector.com/ecu/rising-sto ... -ecu-20517
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

What would Liberty do?
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ToTheLeft »

I would say Brandon Streeter should take over, but he is too young by all accounts. After that, no other guys on staff make sense, so I have no idea.
kuntryboimike
Level2
Level2

Post by kuntryboimike »

Coach Rocco just needs to stay at LU. all there is to it.
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ToTheLeft »

He's going to leave eventually. Most of us hope it will be a couple of years from now so that Streeter would be ready. At this point, late in the game for this recruiting period, I'm hoping if we do lose coach that we get someone who can stabilize things very quickly. In the long run we'll be fine either way, since there is a lot of support and money behind the program that wasn't there previously. But short term, if we lose coach, we need to sign someone quickly that will take control quickly and hold onto recruits.
kuntryboimike
Level2
Level2

Post by kuntryboimike »

agree 100%!!!!!
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

At this point its going to be nearly impossible to stablize the program for recruiting purposes before signing day unless the hire is an internal candidate and Rocco doesn't take a ton of his assistants with him.

Unfortunately that's the downfall of such a short timeframe between the end of the season and the recruiting season.
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ToTheLeft »

danefan wrote:At this point its going to be nearly impossible to stablize the program for recruiting purposes before signing day unless the hire is an internal candidate and Rocco doesn't take a ton of his assistants with him.

Unfortunately that's the downfall of such a short timeframe between the end of the season and the recruiting season.
Yup. That's the scariest thing about this whole process.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

kuntryboimike wrote:Coach Rocco just needs to stay at LU. all there is to it.
As much as I like Liberty football, I find I have to object to this terminology, Mike. For someone completely outside of a situation to say that someone else "needs" to do or not do something is not cool. Who are we to know what his family or personal situation is? According to Maslow, "needs" are something like shelter, clothing, food, etc., i.e. things a whole lot higher up the chain than the affect a move might have on a college football program. It might benefit Liberty were Rocco to stay, but it might benefit Rocco more to go if offered. Of course, on evaluating things, he COULD choose to stay anyway. But it's not for us to say that he "needs" to stay. The other side of the coin is that if he leaves, there is opportunity for a new coach to come in and improve on the foundation Rocco has laid. There's risk involved with that, sure, but that doesn't obviate the truth of the statement.

That said, I would personally prefer for Rocco to stay. I just find it highly distasteful for a fan to try to dictate what an individual person would do. That might not have been your intent, Mike, but it's certainly the way it comes across.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

SuperHornet wrote:
As much as I like Liberty football, I find I have to object to this terminology, Mike. For someone completely outside of a situation to say that someone else "needs" to do or not do something is not cool. Who are we to know what his family or personal situation is? According to Maslow, "needs" are something like shelter, clothing, food, etc., i.e. things a whole lot higher up the chain than the affect a move might have on a college football program. It might benefit Liberty were Rocco to stay, but it might benefit Rocco more to go if offered. Of course, on evaluating things, he COULD choose to stay anyway. But it's not for us to say that he "needs" to stay. The other side of the coin is that if he leaves, there is opportunity for a new coach to come in and improve on the foundation Rocco has laid. There's risk involved with that, sure, but that doesn't obviate the truth of the statement.

That said, I would personally prefer for Rocco to stay. I just find it highly distasteful for a fan to try to dictate what an individual person would do. That might not have been your intent, Mike, but it's certainly the way it comes across.

WTH????????? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Its called sarcasm.
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ToTheLeft »

http://twitter.com/TheDOB

According to a ECU radio guy/columnist, Rocco is vying hard for the ECU job, and seems to be one of the top candidates, now that other options have gone (Clawson has apparently withdrawn from the running).
TribeFanInNC
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: William & Mary Tribe

Post by TribeFanInNC »

SuperHornet wrote:

Well said! :thumb:
kuntryboimike
Level2
Level2

Post by kuntryboimike »

SuperHornet wrote:

whoa whoa i wasnt dictating what coach rocco is going to do i was just saying how i feel. dont take it the rong way if hes going hes going im not trying to be his boss or nething.
jcmanson
Level2
Level2

Post by jcmanson »

I hope Rocco stays, but LU isn't going anywhere if he decides to leave.
Sly Fox
Level1
Level1

Post by Sly Fox »

Mike Shula has apparently entered the scenario at ECU and most of us at Liberty are hoping Terry Holland looks that direction. At Liberty we know we have been overly blessed to have Coach Rocco leading our program. I am never going to question a man doing what he feels is best for his family. But I am also not above having selfish wishes that he stay right where he is now.

LU is working to put together a contract extension for him right now to make staying more attractive. The last two years, Coach Rocco's name has come up for several FBS openings and he will continue to do so based on his resume before coming to Liberty and what he has accomplished thus far. I love that we have a coach that others envy.
SuperJon
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: awesome

Post by SuperJon »

Yeah I'm not worried. At all.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Sly! Good to see you again!
ATL
I am a fan of: Liberty,Georgia State
A.K.A.: FFG, PantherEQ

Post by ATL »

I figured i'd actually start posting since i didn't post much on AGS. I'm hoping this contract extension is a good one. i think 2 years from now he'll get an offer he can't refuse though.
kuntryboimike
Level2
Level2

Post by kuntryboimike »

hopefully if he does leave in 2 yrs theres someone to step up and keep the football program in the direction its heading.
SuperJon
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: awesome

Post by SuperJon »

If I were rich, I think I'd book a charter flight from Lynchburg to Greenville today, just to watch the fall out.