Football Championship Subdivision discussions
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: 1R - Villanova @ SE Louisiana

Post by dal4018 »

Ppl are saying that REFS helped out Lions in victory??????
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

dal4018 wrote:Ppl are saying that REFS helped out Lions in victory??????
Considering with 1+ min left there was a phantom offensive pass interference call that negated a VU TD, they would be right.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote:
Considering with 1+ min left there was a phantom offensive pass interference call that negated a VU TD, they would be right.

You mean the push-off by the receiver. :lol:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

BDKJMU wrote:
Yeah, that was a bad call. It looked like regular hand-fighting to me.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

So Nova scores, they aren't stopping SELU from scoring again to win.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Considering with 1+ min left there was a phantom offensive pass interference call that negated a VU TD, they would be right.

Tonight I’ve seen a couple doz comment on it, including the commentators. You’re the only one I seen say was a good call :lol:. Watch the replay (in slo motion). There was hand contact but no “push off”. If you watch enough football you almost never see that type of thing called.
slulionsfan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southeastern Louisiana

Post by slulionsfan »

BDKJMU wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Tonight I’ve seen a couple doz comment on it, including the commentators. You’re the only one I seen say was a good call :lol:. Watch the replay (in slo motion). There was hand contact but no “push off”. If you watch enough football you almost never see that type of thing called.
There doesn't have to be a push. He leveraged our DB with an arm bar and got separation, that's all that's required. I'm surprised we got the call in that situation but it was technically correct in my opinion. The Nova WR didn't argue it coming off the field, and everybody I've talked to who was right top of the play when it happened thought it was the right call as it happened live. The replay in slow motion doesn't do it justice. Regardless, there was zero chance Nova was going to stop us from scoring again. We could only stop ourselves.
slulionsfan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southeastern Louisiana

Post by slulionsfan »

BDKJMU wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:Villanova coach was going off on SOMEONE after the final gun. Not sure what THAT was about....
Was about the BS offensive pass interference call that negated the VU TD.

VU lost the game on a blown call by the backjudge..multiple boards, saw a couple doz people say was a bad call, not a single poster who defended it..

Both teams defenses suck, cover 1100 yds offense combined, and either would lose next week anyway. In fairness to VU, who gave up 474 passing, (I didn't start watching until mid 3rd qtr) commentators said they were missing 2 starters secondary, and lost 2 more secondary during the game, so by 3rd qtr were out half their 2 deep secondary.
We were missing defensive starters as well, including our all-conference corner. Everybody has injuries this time of year. Next man up.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

slulionsfan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Tonight I’ve seen a couple doz comment on it, including the commentators. You’re the only one I seen say was a good call :lol:. Watch the replay (in slo motion). There was hand contact but no “push off”. If you watch enough football you almost never see that type of thing called.
There doesn't have to be a push. He leveraged our DB with an arm bar and got separation, that's all that's required. I'm surprised we got the call in that situation but it was technically correct in my opinion. The Nova WR didn't argue it coming off the field, and everybody I've talked to who was right top of the play when it happened thought it was the right call as it happened live. The replay in slow motion doesn't do it justice. Regardless, there was zero chance Nova was going to stop us from scoring again. We could only stop ourselves.
You mean every SLU fan? :lol:
Excluding SLU and Nova fans, almost everyone I’ve seen comment on it says it was a bad call.

And you’re the 1st person I’ve ever seen claim on a contested play/call, you can better tell what happened live than vs slo motion replay :lol: . Newsflash- slo motion replay is the thingy that usually tells you whether or not the call made live was a good call or not.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

So anybody going to post a replay or am I just going to have to assume the BSC refs are right again?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote:So anybody going to post a replay or am I just going to have to assume the BSC refs are right again?
Guess we'll have to see if the CAA can get the call reversed and replay the final minutes of the game lol.

Not going to happen, on to the next game.
cats2506
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: MSU Bobcats

Post by cats2506 »

SDHornet wrote:So anybody going to post a replay or am I just going to have to assume the BSC refs are right again?
Why would you ever assume that?
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

The one on the NCAA site was taken down last I saw but here is from someone's twitter (slow motion around 0:55 mark)

https://twitter.com/vhayek1214/status/1 ... 9323033607
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

tribe_pride wrote:The one on the NCAA site was taken down last I saw but here is from someone's twitter (slow motion around 0:55 mark)

Looks like they both briefly had their hands on each other.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

cats2506 wrote:
Why would you ever assume that?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a bullshit call at a horrible time. No WAY a ref should ever make that call, but especially not in that scenario.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

slulionsfan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Was about the BS offensive pass interference call that negated the VU TD.

VU lost the game on a blown call by the backjudge..multiple boards, saw a couple doz people say was a bad call, not a single poster who defended it..

Both teams defenses suck, cover 1100 yds offense combined, and either would lose next week anyway. In fairness to VU, who gave up 474 passing, (I didn't start watching until mid 3rd qtr) commentators said they were missing 2 starters secondary, and lost 2 more secondary during the game, so by 3rd qtr were out half their 2 deep secondary.
We were missing defensive starters as well, including our all-conference corner. Everybody has injuries this time of year. Next man up.
Is he still out this weekend? :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

tribe_pride wrote:The one on the NCAA site was taken down last I saw but here is from someone's twitter (slow motion around 0:55 mark)

Wow, terrible call.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I'd seen the video at the NCAA site and noted that one of the guys calling the game thought it was offensive pass interference almost immediately. The Twitter video shows he kind of changed his mind some after seeing the replay in slow motion.

I figure it must've looked like a foul to the official in live action. If the guy calling the game immediately thought he saw offensive pass interference it's understandable that the official thought he saw it.

It's the kind of thing I point to when I say luck ... or chance...plays a role in football. It so happens that the official made that call. And that call at that point in the game had a huge impact on Villanova's probability of winning that game.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote:
cats2506 wrote: Why would you ever assume that?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a bullshit call at a horrible time. No WAY a ref should ever make that call, but especially not in that scenario.
Well, the last part of that sentence is something I've always disagreed with. I've never liked the idea that the call if impacted by the point in the game. If it's a penalty it's a penalty and if it's not it's not. Whether it happens in the first minute or the final minute shouldn't matter with respect to the official making the call.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

When I first saw it, I thought it should've been a no call. Looking at it again, I now think it should've been offsetting PI calls. The WR pushed off the DB before the DB really did anything, but the DB then aggressively shoved back hard enough to knock the WR down.

The TD would still have been negated, but it wouldn't have been 1st. & 25.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Looking at it again, I now think it should've been offsetting PI calls.
Is there such a thing?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

slulionsfan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Tonight I’ve seen a couple doz comment on it, including the commentators. You’re the only one I seen say was a good call :lol:. Watch the replay (in slo motion). There was hand contact but no “push off”. If you watch enough football you almost never see that type of thing called.
Way to completely ignore the 1 arm shove by the SELA DB.. :dunce: Don't be a total homer..

Well that would have meant OT then, as VU would have had just as good a chance at making the 2 point conversion as SELA would have had in scoring another TD in the last 1.5 minute.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

89Hen wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:Looking at it again, I now think it should've been offsetting PI calls.
Is there such a thing?
I've seen it before. It's not common, of course.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote:I'd seen the video at the NCAA site and noted that one of the guys calling the game thought it was offensive pass interference almost immediately. The Twitter video shows he kind of changed his mind some after seeing the replay in slow motion.

I figure it must've looked like a foul to the official in live action. If the guy calling the game immediately thought he saw offensive pass interference it's understandable that the official thought he saw it.

It's the kind of thing I point to when I say luck ... or chance...plays a role in football. It so happens that the official made that call. And that call at that point in the game had a huge impact on Villanova's probability of winning that game.
Bottom line is IMHOP the officials shouldn't throw flags unless the foul is very obvious, and it affects the play (obviously this affected the play). Borderline, ticky tack shit shouldn't be called.
What should have been done in order:
1. No flag- would have been most appropriate IMHOP.
2. Defensive PI
3. Double PI that Mvemjsunpx mentioned (very rare)
4. Offensive PI
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote:So Nova scores, they aren't stopping SELU from scoring again to win.
Like I said, that would have made it 52-52 OT