Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Re: Who Would You Rather Beat?

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: Not sure about that. I think you'd have to ask would you rather win the NC or beat a big I-A to determine that. Otherwise I'd assume the goal of every program is make the playoffs and maybe win an NC.

At the end of the day, beating NDSU in the regular season really doesn't move the needle for your program. Winning an NC does and certainly beating a big I-A does (probably more so than the NC).
The NC is of course the ultimate goal. That's a no-brainer. This question is more interesting as you can lose or win both and still have that goal intact.

And I didn't ask which win moves the needle more. That's simply the justification for your answer.

I'd still rather beat the Bizon and care more about that outcome.

(Which is itself another question 8-) )
I was directly on what you are saying there kalm. When I read it I answered it as what I (an educated) fan would like to see for my team. WGAF what a bunch of dullards around the state think but I don't live under those circumstances or the need for us to prove something so my perspective is different I guess. But, it is my perspective, not one of what I think is best for marketing shit.

I'm pretty sure I would be more concerned with what is best for the guys playing than some asshole in a bar watching my team for the first time. xlolx (for you bandy)

I'm pretty sure the NC would mean most to them.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Really? 5 out of 7 goes to 6 of 12? That makes 1 of 5 PRIOR to shooter.

YOUR math sucks, EWOOOO grad. :coffee:
Meyer in 2005, BLM in 2010.

You're getting dumber by the moment...and your peanut gallery too. :ohno:
Like I give two shits who was QB'ing your team 11 fucking years ago. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

Or last year, for that matter. :tothehand:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

kalm wrote:So we play in-state rival Washington State in week #1. They're coming off their best season in well over a decade including a Sun Bowl win against Miami and are expected to be really good if not even better this year.

Week #2 we play the Bizon.

If you had to chose just one, would you rather see your team beat your FBS in-state rival or the 5 - time defending National Champion?
You wont win either one.................

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

kalm wrote:Other points of interest.

We were the last team to beat the Bizon in the playoffs.

Their posters to this day feel they were cheated by us out of their first National Championship.
Anyone that watched that game knows they were cheated out of it. He scored

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:

Their posters to this day feel they were cheated by us out of their first National Championship.
Not ransom.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: Not sure about that. I think you'd have to ask would you rather win the NC or beat a big I-A to determine that. Otherwise I'd assume the goal of every program is make the playoffs and maybe win an NC.

At the end of the day, beating NDSU in the regular season really doesn't move the needle for your program. Winning an NC does and certainly beating a big I-A does (probably more so than the NC).
The NC is of course the ultimate goal. That's a no-brainer. This question is more interesting as you can lose or win both and still have that goal intact.

And I didn't ask which win moves the needle more. That's simply the justification for your answer.

But you choosing the Bizen or somebody else choosing a I-A doesn't show a difference in the goal for their team. That's all I was saying.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Meyer in 2005, BLM in 2010.

You're getting dumber by the moment...and your peanut gallery too. :ohno:
Like I give two shits who was QB'ing your team 11 fucking years ago. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

You gave 6.93 shits just a few posts ago... :)

Of course you don't give two shits now that you've been proven wrong. :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

But you choosing the Bizen or somebody else choosing a I-A doesn't show a difference in the goal for their team. That's all I was saying.
True. Just a difference in priorities.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:

My buddy Bill Fette disagrees and he had the best view in the house.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:
My buddy Bill Fette disagrees and he had the best view in the house.
5 Championships later, Bill Fette is but a distant memory. Looking forward to 9/10/2016.
ewueagle2010

Post by ewueagle2010 »

I'd rather beat the in state FBS team than NDSU. Mainly because beating NDSU in the playoffs is when it is important and that is a likely necessity in order to win a Natty. Plus, EWU has already beat NDSU and it's time to beat Wazzu.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

5 of 7 to 6 of 12 is still 1 of 5, moron. Go get a master from that community college... :kisswink:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:

5 of 7 to 6 of 12 is still 1 of 5, moron. Go get a master from that community college... :kisswink:
And you were replying to my 6 of 12 comment which includes Meyer. Adams won 4 (2 in one season), BLM 1 and Meyer 1. Yes 1-5 before Adams but I went back one more year to '05.

It's ok, you're only partially dumb. :thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote:UNI is one of the few teams that regularly beats the Bison so that's not a big deal.

UNI in recent years has had pretty good success against FBS Iowa State so again not a big deal.

I would love to beat the Hawkeyes. Still pissed that we choked against them a few years ago. And the opportunities will be limited in the future because the Hawkeyes/Big Ten are too chickenshit to play us.
+1

Beating Iowa in the regular season would easily trump beating NDSU in the regular season. Completely different story in the playoffs, especially in Frisco. I actually had a similar discussion several years ago with some Hawkeye alums. The Hawkeyes insisted that beating Iowa would make UNI's season and decade and refused to believe me when I said that I would much, much prefer that UNI when a Natty. They were completely unable to comprehend that Iowa wasn't the center of UNI's universe.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Me off?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: But you choosing the Bizen or somebody else choosing a I-A doesn't show a difference in the goal for their team. That's all I was saying.
True. Just a difference in priorities.
That's a strange word to use too IMO. By you choosing the Bizen, what is your priority vs mine by choosing a I-A? I think it's a difference in what each of us thinks would be better or have more impact. The goal or priority is having the best team, the best press, the best everything... we just disagree on what would achieve that, yes?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Grizalltheway wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Being as Montana has no instate rival, be it FBS OR FCS, I guess the answer would have to be the Bizon.
This. We beat the 4 time national championship Bison, and it was pretty damn sweet. 8-)
They have proven they cannot win the big games outside of their barn.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
This. We beat the 4 time national championship Bison, and it was pretty damn sweet. 8-)
They have proven they cannot win the big games outside of their barn.
Isn't Frisco outside of their barn?

Manhattan, Kansas, is too.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

UNI88 wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:UNI is one of the few teams that regularly beats the Bison so that's not a big deal.

UNI in recent years has had pretty good success against FBS Iowa State so again not a big deal.

I would love to beat the Hawkeyes. Still pissed that we choked against them a few years ago. And the opportunities will be limited in the future because the Hawkeyes/Big Ten are too chickenshit to play us.
+1

Beating Iowa in the regular season would easily trump beating NDSU in the regular season. Completely different story in the playoffs, especially in Frisco. I actually had a similar discussion several years ago with some Hawkeye alums. The Hawkeyes insisted that beating Iowa would make UNI's season and decade and refused to believe me when I said that I would much, much prefer that UNI when a Natty. They were completely unable to comprehend that Iowa wasn't the center of UNI's universe.
This is why it is best not to talk FB with Iowa fans. They say the same thing every time Iowa State beats them too.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
bucs90
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Charleston Southern

Post by bucs90 »

So would I rather CSU beat The Citadel/Coastal or beat Clemson/USC??

Great question. I think I'd say beat the FBS team. Last year Citadel played us and South Carolina in regular season. They lost to us and beat USC. I promise they wouldn't trade it either.

You get a shot at fellow FCS rivals every year. Those shots to upset the FBS team don't come often.
[img] http://www.csusports.com/sports/fball/2 ... 325380900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[img]
Thumper 76
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: South Dakota State

Post by Thumper 76 »

HI54UNI wrote:
UNI88 wrote: +1

This is why it is best not to talk FB with Iowa fans. They say the same thing every time Iowa State beats them too.
I'm not a Iowa fan by any stretch, but how many times does this mean they've said that to Iowa St fans? Twice?
Please don't tell Obama what comes after a Trillion.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Thumper 76 wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:
I'm not a Iowa fan by any stretch, but how many times does this mean they've said that to Iowa St fans? Twice?
Actually more than you think. ISU has won 3 of the last 5 and 10 of the last 20.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Thumper 76 wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:
As pointed out, the last 20 have been split evenly and ISU has the recent advantage.

Even last year's game was very much in doubt until very late. Iowa went 12-0 in the regular season. Iowa State was shitty again
Thumper 76
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: South Dakota State

Post by Thumper 76 »

Not going to lie, I am surprised by that
Please don't tell Obama what comes after a Trillion.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

So the answer is now clearly the I-A team. Hell, if a little school from Chucktown can go into the Fargodome and almost beat the Bizen, it doesn't seem like a very big deal anymore.

:mrgreen: