Mercer's Bobby Lamb receiving criticism?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
The Sportz Guy

Mercer's Bobby Lamb receiving criticism?

Post by The Sportz Guy »

Some around the web have suggested he should be fired. But should he? The Mercer Cluster podcast considers it...

http://mercercluster.com/17330/showcase ... episode-8/

What do you guys think?
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Re: Mercer's Bobby Lamb receiving criticism?

Post by OL FU »

The Sportz Guy wrote:Some around the web have suggested he should be fired. But should he? The Mercer Cluster podcast considers it...

http://mercercluster.com/17330/showcase ... episode-8/

What do you guys think?
He was the king of the campus until they started playing tougher competition. and honestly, while they haven't won much they play damn near everybody close. I know close doesn't count but when you are a start up, it should. A few more years and they can decide where they are versus where they want to be.
bucs90
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Charleston Southern

Post by bucs90 »

Wow. The "win now" mindset is everywhere. They're a startup team they have to give the man a chance to at least have a senior class.
[img] http://www.csusports.com/sports/fball/2 ... 325380900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[img]
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Most student sports writers know sheet about FCS football. Nothing to see here, move along.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

It would be a mistake to get rid of him now. They are just one less mistake away from 4-1 in the SoCon.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
The Sportz Guy

Post by The Sportz Guy »

Pwns wrote:Most student sports writers know sheet about FCS football. Nothing to see here, move along.
*Most*
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Mercer will struggle to recruit as seasoned a coach as Lamb until the program gets a few successful years under its belt. The fact that they're already competitive should be looked at as a positive for those who are impatient for better than .500 seasons.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

You know I checked their schedule and saw that their losses were by 7, 1 (in OT), 3, 7, and 2 points. This is a brand new program. I guess maybe it's because they started off in the Pioneer League with Reinhardt, Warner, Berry, as well as Carnegie Melon non conference and went 10-2 in their first season (2013) to get expectations up. But there aren't any Reinhardts now. Very unfair if he's being slammed at this point. They're competitive. Give him SOME time.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
bucs90
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Charleston Southern

Post by bucs90 »

My team Charleston Southern didn't finish .500 until 12 years in! Mercer better hold off on this firing talk. They're a very competitive team. So is 1st year Kennesaw State. Georgia is producing a lot of good talent these days. UGA, GaTech, GSU, Ga State, Kennesaw, Mercer, Fort Valley, Valdosta....all have done very well in their respective levels. Now....what the heck is wrong with Savannah State!!??
[img] http://www.csusports.com/sports/fball/2 ... 325380900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[img]
pantherrob82
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: UNI, Montana, UNH, McNees

Post by pantherrob82 »

I've been impressed by them.
The Sportz Guy

Post by The Sportz Guy »

Understand that no firing talk is actually coming from the administration. At this point, he seems very much safe. All the talk comes from fans, some online. Mercer's 10-2 season led to big-time expectations from the fan base, but putting up that kind of win total in the SoCon is a completely different story. It's almost not even a comparison between the competitiveness of the SoCon an the Pioneer League.

I would say most criticism comes from the uneducated fan. Most reporters and devoted fans around the area fully support Lamb, as do I as you can tell on the podcast. The players truly believe in him, and that is absolutely vital. The talk starts because of the losing. Fans get upset when they lose five of the last six games, ALL of them within seven points. I know some who have complained that coaching could have been a difference at the end of those games, but I disagree. A player makes a play here or there, and Mercer is 6-2 instead of 3-5.

Mercer has been impressively competitive in its first three year. Let Lamb continue to build the program. You can hear the rest of my thoughts on the podcast. But again, please understand these aren't sources saying Lamb is on the hot seat. We just wanted to address this controversy in this week's podcast since we have heard some complaints. We wanted to tell you why Lamb is the man for the Bears.
FUBeAR5467
I am a fan of: Mercer

Re: Mercer's Bobby Lamb receiving criticism? NOT! MUCH ADO.

Post by FUBeAR5467 »

So...some carpetbagger's kid comes to Mercer in the Fall of 2015 and Mom/Dad seeks out & finds a Mercer FanBoard on the interwebs. S/he has another snowbird kid at that great FBS PowerProgram, UCF, and this seems to be the sum total foundation of his/her knowledge of College / FCS/ Mercer Football. S/he starts a thread that is the topic of this thread and every Mercer fan on the FanBoard suggests (nicely, cuz Mercer is in the South, y'all) that s/he should seek some serious treatment because s/he's apparently teched in the head or has caught the vapors during his/her visits South. Well, except for 1 other fan/poster, whom I believe may be a player parent with the typical gripe about Little Johnny's playing time. These really bright Mercer journalism students pick up the topic and discuss it on their Podcast...and they RANT about what an idiotic idea that is/would be to even be discussed, much less realistically considered.

So...now we have a relatively long thread, with a WHOLLY MISLEADING TITLE about a NON-STORY on a National FCS FanBoard because 1 completely uninformed, perhaps unbalanced poster & a player's parent with a fingernail clipper-sized axe to grind made some inane comments on a 'local' FanBoard.

I love social media! :blah: :blah: :loko: :loko: :loko:
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

The Sportz Guy

Re: Mercer's Bobby Lamb receiving criticism? NOT! MUCH ADO.

Post by The Sportz Guy »

FUBeAR5467 wrote:So...some carpetbagger's kid comes to Mercer in the Fall of 2015 and Mom/Dad seeks out & finds a Mercer FanBoard on the interwebs. S/he has another snowbird kid at that great FBS PowerProgram, UCF, and this seems to be the sum total foundation of his/her knowledge of College / FCS/ Mercer Football. S/he starts a thread that is the topic of this thread and every Mercer fan on the FanBoard suggests (nicely, cuz Mercer is in the South, y'all) that s/he should seek some serious treatment because s/he's apparently teched in the head or has caught the vapors during his/her visits South. Well, except for 1 other fan/poster, whom I believe may be a player parent with the typical gripe about Little Johnny's playing time. These really bright Mercer journalism students pick up the topic and discuss it on their Podcast...and they RANT about what an idiotic idea that is/would be to even be discussed, much less realistically considered.

So...now we have a relatively long thread, with a WHOLLY MISLEADING TITLE about a NON-STORY on a National FCS FanBoard because 1 completely uninformed, perhaps unbalanced poster & a player's parent with a fingernail clipper-sized axe to grind made some inane comments on a 'local' FanBoard.

I love social media! :blah: :blah: :loko: :loko: :loko:
There have been others that have shared the same sentiment, not just one poster online. When a team starts losing, people get upset and look for answers. Considering Mercer is only a third-year program, most knowledgable fans wouldn't have a major problem, but the majority of football fans aren't "knowledgable fans."

Thus, we felt the need to discuss the state of the Mercer program as a whole. We wanted to let some of the unwise Mercer fans know WHY they shouldn't be anxious and that they need to trust in Lamb like most smart people do. We made it clear that there is no rumor of any sort, just some criticisms from fans. And we wanted to tackle that controversial topic. I don't see the issue...
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

Dave Brock would be an excellent fit at Mercer.
Proletarians of the world, unite!
The Cats
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: WCU
A.K.A.: The Cats

Post by The Cats »

Carl Torbush may be available soon.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

The Sportz Guy wrote:
Pwns wrote:Most student sports writers know sheet about FCS football. Nothing to see here, move along.
*Most*
More than most, nearly all. There's a lot to learn through seeing it first hand and a 21 year old simply doesn't have that experience yet. No fault of their own.
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

Never heard of Mercer.
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

Cap'n Cat wrote:Never heard of Mercer.
They beat Duke in basketball ;)
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

:dunce:
What a joke of a Troll Post #6 Don't click this moron's link.
Image :shock: Oh, look! His genitals are en fuego, too.

And, anyone who uses the letter 'z' in place of an 's' likely suffers erectile dysfunction, the painful itch and swelling, an absurdly intense psychopathic lust for sheep, and might call himself The Sportz :tothehand: Guy

Coach Lamb has a wining record at The Vermin, which you know is difficult, because ... well, Furman sucks. We love having Bobby at Mercer and, you know? Furman still sucks, BUT, if The Vermin finish 7-4 / 5-2, with an FBS win, they deserve playoff consideration.

Beating The Whee, to do it? Even better. Having to beat Bobby Lamb? Good luck, Furples. You still suck.

And good luck to Coach Lamb. With 9 more points,at 3-5 / 0-4, Mercer would be 6-2 / 3-1, and knocking on the playoff door. He gets to coach against Furman on his old stomping grounds. Rectums pucker in Greenville.

Bobby will do fine by Mercer, and hopefully his Hillbilly son will get the opportunity to play in the Super Dome or the Citrus Bowl.
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
The Sportz Guy

Post by The Sportz Guy »

Aho Old Guy wrote::dunce:
What a joke of a Troll Post #6 Don't click this moron's link.
Image :shock: Oh, look! His genitals are en fuego, too.

And, anyone who uses the letter 'z' in place of an 's' likely suffers erectile dysfunction, the painful itch and swelling, an absurdly intense psychopathic lust for sheep, and might call himself The Sportz :tothehand: Guy

Coach Lamb has a wining record at The Vermin, which you know is difficult, because ... well, Furman sucks. We love having Bobby at Mercer and, you know? Furman still sucks, BUT, if The Vermin finish 7-4 / 5-2, with an FBS win, they deserve playoff consideration.

Beating The Whee, to do it? Even better. Having to beat Bobby Lamb? Good luck, Furples. You still suck.

And good luck to Coach Lamb. With 9 more points,at 3-5 / 0-4, Mercer would be 6-2 / 3-1, and knocking on the playoff door. He gets to coach against Furman on his old stomping grounds. Rectums pucker in Greenville.

Bobby will do fine by Mercer, and hopefully his Hillbilly son will get the opportunity to play in the Super Dome or the Citrus Bowl.
You didn't listen to the podcast. If you had, you would know we blasted those who criticize him and want him to stay around for a long time.
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

:bananahump:
So.
You admit you're trolling, and this thread and your link is Click-Bait.

Check.
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
The Sportz Guy

Post by The Sportz Guy »

Aho Old Guy wrote::bananahump:
So.
You admit you're trolling, and this thread and your link is Click-Bait.

Check.
Where exactly did I say I was trolling? It's something some fans -- maybe not knowledgeable ones -- have brought up, so we wanted to squash it. The headline is a headline. A headline is meant to get people to continue reading or being interested in your work. It's simply a posed question that we discuss in the podcast.