Total votes: 17

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

I-A Game of the Week - WEEK X

Post by 89Hen »

Kind of funny that I thought there were too many Pac12 teams in the AP last week and three of them were dropped, replaced with three ACC teams. :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: I-A Game of the Week - WEEK X

Post by GannonFan »

Hey, where's the Notre Dame at Northwestern matchup? Campus road game for the Irish playing against the team leading and most likely to win the Big 10 West division and play the Michigan/Ohio St winner in the Big 10 title game?

I ended up voting for Georgia/Kentucky - winner gets the SEC East crown, probably. And Kentucky is a great story, hard to root against them. Couldn't in good conscious vote for the LSU game - 'Bama's first legit tough game and it's already November. Pretty much played an exhibition-style schedule up to now and this will be their only quality, campus road game all year. So no vote for them. Take that Saban!
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Hey, where's the Notre Dame at Northwestern matchup? Campus road game for the Irish playing against the team leading and most likely to win the Big 10 West division and play the Michigan/Ohio St winner in the Big 10 title game?
They could very well finish 7-5. Blech.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Hey, where's the Notre Dame at Northwestern matchup? Campus road game for the Irish playing against the team leading and most likely to win the Big 10 West division and play the Michigan/Ohio St winner in the Big 10 title game?
They could very well finish 7-5. Blech.
Heck, I like Penn State and it's not outside the realm of possibility that they end up 7-5 as well. Just saying.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Do we really need more than one option in this case? Yes, Alabama could end up blowing out LSU so that it could be a big disappointment. But, at the same time, Alabama has played a relatively weak schedule to this point. Sagarin has Alabama's schedule to date rated 60th. By Sagarin it is the weakest schedule played by any SEC team to this point. This is by far the best set of athletes Alabama is going to have lined up against.

Of course Sagarin also makes Alabama a 12 point favorite in spite of its weak schedule. But still. This is the first time to date that Alabama is going to face what appears to be a top 10 caliber team. That makes it OBVIOUSLY the game to watch outside of each fan's own home team for college football fans.

BTW, it's also probably the only top 10 caliber team Alabama is going to face during the regular season. The only top 10 caliber team they're going to play before the CFP, assuming they win, is if they play Georgia in the SEC championship game.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Tech vs OU
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:Do we really need more than one option in this case? Yes, Alabama could end up blowing out LSU so that it could be a big disappointment. But, at the same time, Alabama has played a relatively weak schedule to this point. Sagarin has Alabama's schedule to date rated 60th. By Sagarin it is the weakest schedule played by any SEC team to this point. This is by far the best set of athletes Alabama is going to have lined up against.

Of course Sagarin also makes Alabama a 12 point favorite in spite of its weak schedule. But still. This is the first time to date that Alabama is going to face what appears to be a top 10 caliber team. That makes it OBVIOUSLY the game to watch outside of each fan's own home team for college football fans.

BTW, it's also probably the only top 10 caliber team Alabama is going to face during the regular season. The only top 10 caliber team they're going to play before the CFP, assuming they win, is if they play Georgia in the SEC championship game.
Probably the first time I’ve agreed with a JSO post of any kind since week 1. Maybe earlier.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I went with Georgia Kentucky to piss off JSO.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

JohnStOnge wrote:Do we really need more than one option in this case?
This is America and 42% of the voters think we do.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I WILL say that the Georgia/Kentucky game is also very interesting. But let's face it: Every real college football fan that isn't an Alabama fan wants to see somebody challenge Alabama. And LSU has the athletes to have at least a SHOT at doing it.

Plus, again: Alabama isn't going to play another top 10 caliber type team during the regular season. This is it.
Could I ever be a star?

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

JohnStOnge wrote:I WILL say that the Georgia/Kentucky game is also very interesting. But let's face it: Every real college football fan that isn't an Alabama fan wants to see somebody challenge Alabama.
Beat, not challenge.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:I WILL say that the Georgia/Kentucky game is also very interesting. But let's face it: Every real college football fan that isn't an Alabama fan wants to see somebody challenge Alabama.
Beat, not challenge.
:agree:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote:I WILL say that the Georgia/Kentucky game is also very interesting. But let's face it: Every real college football fan that isn't an Alabama fan wants to see somebody challenge Alabama. And LSU has the athletes to have at least a SHOT at doing it.

Plus, again: Alabama isn't going to play another top 10 caliber type team during the regular season. This is it.
LSU might have the athletes but Nicky is 10x the coach that Eddie is so Bama takes LSU behind the woodshed. I'm a write-in for the underdog Wildcats against the angry green fairies from South Bend.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Spoiler: UGA curb stomps Kentucky.

The GotW is Bama-LSU easily.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:I WILL say that the Georgia/Kentucky game is also very interesting. But let's face it: Every real college football fan that isn't an Alabama fan wants to see somebody challenge Alabama. And LSU has the athletes to have at least a SHOT at doing it.

LSU might have the athletes but Nicky is 10x the coach that Eddie is so Bama takes LSU behind the woodshed.
That would not be a surprise but, again, we have the situation where Alabama has played a really weak schedule by SEC standards so far. So you've got that thing where a team is really running it up but it's against a weak schedule. So it makes the fact that they're playing somebody kind of tough for the first time kind of interesting. If you look at the initial College Football Playoff standings the highest rated team Alabama has played so far is Texas A&M at #20. Now they're about to play #3.
Could I ever be a star?

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Typical for 'Bama. They hide behind the SEC label and everyone assumes they are playing a tough schedule. SEC West has been hit or miss in the past few years, and it's not chocked full of good teams again this year. 'Bama never travels far (although, truth be told, most SEC teams rarely travel), they don't play many road games on campus (love those neutral site road games), and they don't play in weather. At least this will be a road campus game against a good opponent. Like you said, though, it's the only one this year.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: LSU might have the athletes but Nicky is 10x the coach that Eddie is so Bama takes LSU behind the woodshed. I'm a write-in for the underdog Wildcats against the angry green fairies from South Bend.
BTW I don't know if Saban is all that great of a coach in terms of the mental part of coaching. I think he won at LSU and wins at Alabama due to recruiting. Yes that's part of being a college coach but what I mean is I don't think he's that great in terms of the mental part of Xs and Os and game planning. I think, for instance, that if you give Urban Meyer and Nick Saban equal talent Meyer is going to beat him most of the time. Other coaches like that too. Peterson at Washington would, I think, beat him most of the time if the two had equal talent to work with.

Look at what happened to Saban when he went to the NFL and didn't have the overwhelming talent edge when his teams played. Another thing I've noted in the past: When Saban was at LSU he lost to UAB. At Alabama he lost a game to Louisiana Monroe. And do you remember how badly his Alabama team, which was 12-1 going in, got spanked by Utah in the 2008 Sugar Bowl?

I think Saban's thing is talent. He's created the mystique of having a reputation of players going to the NFL so you have stuff like a quarterback from Hawaii being there right now.
Could I ever be a star?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
UNI88 wrote: LSU might have the athletes but Nicky is 10x the coach that Eddie is so Bama takes LSU behind the woodshed. I'm a write-in for the underdog Wildcats against the angry green fairies from South Bend.
BTW I don't know if Saban is all that great of a coach in terms of the mental part of coaching. I think he won at LSU and wins at Alabama due to recruiting. Yes that's part of being a college coach but what I mean is I don't think he's that great in terms of the mental part of Xs and Os and game planning. I think, for instance, that if you give Urban Meyer and Nick Saban equal talent Meyer is going to beat him most of the time. Other coaches like that too. Peterson at Washington would, I think, beat him most of the time if the two had equal talent to work with.

Look at what happened to Saban when he went to the NFL and didn't have the overwhelming talent edge when his teams played. Another thing I've noted in the past: When Saban was at LSU he lost to UAB. At Alabama he lost a game to Louisiana Monroe. And do you remember how badly his Alabama team, which was 12-1 going in, got spanked by Utah in the 2008 Sugar Bowl?

I think Saban's thing is talent. He's created the mystique of having a reputation of players going to the NFL so you have stuff like a quarterback from Hawaii being there right now.
Are you in marketing? Because you will clearly spin anything to fit the narrative that you've created in your head.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:

Compared to Ed Orgeron, Nick Saban is Albert Einstein. And that’s an objective truth. Bama by 14+ tomorrow.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Compared to Ed Orgeron, Nick Saban is Albert Einstein. And that’s an objective truth. Bama by 14+ tomorrow.
Alabama is ahead 16-0 looks like the Tigers came to play!!!!!!!
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

dal4018 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Compared to Ed Orgeron, Nick Saban is Albert Einstein. And that’s an objective truth. Bama by 14+ tomorrow.
Alabama is ahead 16-0 looks like the Tigers came to play!!!!!!!
They sure did!!!!!1