Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: UCF beats Auburn!!!!!

Post by Gil Dobie »

Pwns wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Alabama's non-conference wins? Fresno St, Florida St (7-5), Colorado St, Mercer.
You aren't really trying to say the SEC is no better than the AAC are you?
Saying Alabama's non-conference wins are nothing to brag about.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

I have been following the American conference since my kid goes to USF and was rooting for UCF against Auburn because a win would bolster the reputation of the conference. While I think the AAC is the best of the G5 conferences, I am also realistic enough to know that UCF would have no prayer of going undefeated playing an SEC schedule. They would have been middle of the pack in the SEC.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:I have been following the American conference since my kid goes to USF and was rooting for UCF against Auburn because a win would bolster the reputation of the conference. While I think the AAC is the best of the G5 conferences, I am also realistic enough to know that UCF would have no prayer of going undefeated playing an SEC schedule. They would have been middle of the pack in the SEC.
Somebody gets it. :thumb:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote:I have been following the American conference since my kid goes to USF and was rooting for UCF against Auburn because a win would bolster the reputation of the conference. While I think the AAC is the best of the G5 conferences, I am also realistic enough to know that UCF would have no prayer of going undefeated playing an SEC schedule. They would have been middle of the pack in the SEC.
Not this year (or last year for that matter). The SEC is living off of history a few years ago when it meant something to play a full SEC schedule. Fact of the matter is, the SEC is very top heavy, and after you get through that top echelon of teams (Georgia, 'Bama, and Auburn) the rest of the league is very suspect, with the bottom of the league even being pretty poor. The top of the league is still excellent, but the depth the SEC used to have that made it such a great conference just isn't there anymore. Troy doesn't go into Baton Rogue and beat LSU a few years ago.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Not this year (or last year for that matter). The SEC is living off of history a few years ago when it meant something to play a full SEC schedule. Fact of the matter is, the SEC is very top heavy, and after you get through that top echelon of teams (Georgia, 'Bama, and Auburn) the rest of the league is very suspect, with the bottom of the league even being pretty poor. The top of the league is still excellent, but the depth the SEC used to have that made it such a great conference just isn't there anymore. Troy doesn't go into Baton Rogue and beat LSU a few years ago.
Bottom line is, Alabama is the best team in the country. Have been for most of the past decade. They had one hiccup against Auburn this season and suddenly everyone started questioning them, even trying to make a case that Ohio State be let in over them. The whole time I'm scratching my head wondering why people are so stupid. Seeing nearly the whole board here vote for Clemson to win over them was another head-scratcher. I kind of thought the people here knew football.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:
As I am sure you know, football is very much a game of emotions. The LSU game was the all everything game to Troy. To LSU it was just a game before facing Florida. Similarly, the Peach Bowl meant a lot more to UCF than it did to Auburn.

I won't argue that the SEC was top heavy this year, but so was the American conference. The majority of UCF's games were against significantly overmatched opponents. A top heavy SEC is still much better than a top heavy AAC. If UCF is playing the big boys week in and week out, they are no longer able to get sky high for just a couple/few games on the schedule. They are going to drop a few, likely even to some of the non elite teams in the conference.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Again: Alabama did not win the Western Division of the SEC. There is no way a team that didn't even win its Division within a conference should be in a playoff if the playoff is going to include only four teams.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:They had 2 wins over top-25. Same as Alabama.

Alabama's best win was a pretty mediocre LSU.

Alabama is probably one of the best 4 teams in the country... but, their resume wasn't great. 3rd place in conference and 2nd place in your division shouldn't get you in a 4 team playoff, imo.

89Hen wrote: Option 1 sounds good, Option 2 sounds sketchy to me. I think you have to leave room for a second place conference team.
I would prefer Option 1 as well.

But, I wouldn't have any qualms about a second place conference team being left out of the playoffs. If you want to be the national champion - win your conference. Pretty simple.
That's easy to say, but in reality one conference could have 3-4 teams better than a first place team in another conference.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:I am also realistic enough to know that UCF would have no prayer of going undefeated playing an SEC schedule.
Neither did Alabama
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:Seeing nearly the whole board here vote for Clemson to win over them was another head-scratcher. I kind of thought the people here knew football.
Yeah, how stupid of people for thinking that when 1 point separated the two teams over 8 quarters the last two years. :roll:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Bottom line is, Alabama is the best team in the country. Have been for most of the past decade. They had one hiccup against Auburn this season and suddenly everyone started questioning them, even trying to make a case that Ohio State be let in over them. The whole time I'm scratching my head wondering why people are so stupid. Seeing nearly the whole board here vote for Clemson to win over them was another head-scratcher. I kind of thought the people here knew football.
They might be the best team in the country. But simply conceding them that distinction without making them earn it cheapens the whole thing. 'Bama can now play a crap schedule (and yes, they played 3 games of note this year), not even make it to their own conference championship game, and lemmings will line up and say they are the best without any track record to prove it. And with a small 4 team playoff in place it helps to make that happen.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:
They might be the best team in the country. But simply conceding them that distinction without making them earn it cheapens the whole thing. 'Bama can now play a crap schedule (and yes, they played 3 games of note this year), not even make it to their own conference championship game, and lemmings will line up and say they are the best without any track record to prove it. And with a small 4 team playoff in place it helps to make that happen.
The lemmings picked Clemson to win in our poll here on this website. Three (extremely likable I might add) people here picked Alabama: BDKJMU, JSO, and me! The other 19 picked against Alabama.

Who are the lemmings again?

I realize people hate Alabama. So do I. But don't make the hate, and one fluke loss, suddenly make you think they're not the best team of the decade.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

89Hen wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote:I am also realistic enough to know that UCF would have no prayer of going undefeated playing an SEC schedule.
Neither did Alabama
Do you really think UCF would have made it through a full season SEC slate this year with only a single loss?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:
89Hen wrote: Neither did Alabama
Do you really think UCF would have made it through a full season SEC slate this year with only a single loss?
Impossible to say, but the toughest SEC game Alabama has was Auburn and they lost while UCF beat them.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:Again: Alabama did not win the Western Division of the SEC. There is no way a team that didn't even win its Division within a conference should be in a playoff if the playoff is going to include only four teams.
So ignore conference disparity and don't pick the 4 best teams? Might as well go back to the old system.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

89Hen wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote:
Impossible to say, but the toughest SEC game Alabama has was Auburn and they lost while UCF beat them.
Not just SEC game. That was their toughest game.

Their best win is a pretty mediocre LSU. I think UCF would be favored in that game.

If UCF was in the SEC East or the SEC West I think they would have finished at least 2nd. No worse than Bama. They would have finished 2nd in the East easily. The SEC is really down right now. Whether they could beat Alabama and Georgia - who knows? But, winning the SEC isn't necessary to make it into the playoffs.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)