Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Re: Paying College Athletes

Post by AshevilleApp »

CAA Flagship wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:
Not everyone gets a stipend. And again it doesn't answer the question of why a scholarship athlete should have less of a chance to earn side money than a scholarship student in another discipline. If you are worried about outside jobs and booster interference, how about schools providing part time on campus work for them?
So you think schools can be trusted? :shock: :lol:

The NCAA set the rule to allow stipends. The fact that not every school can afford to pay this small amount is more proof that schools should not pay athletes. The gap is big enough between programs without allowing payments. Where are the income inequality police when it comes to college athletic departments?
Schools can be trusted as much as anyone who hires athletes for the two months of summer. What's to stop an unscrupulous booster from hiring them at that time and paying someone $40,000 for doing nothing. Remember Oklahoma several years back. And keep in mind, not all parents can afford to help their kids financially. Ultimately the point I keep trying to make is that athletes should have the same opportunity to make money on the side as other students. Personally, I'm looking forward to the day that the larger conferences say fuck the NCAA, were going off on our own. I wonder who CBS will follow with the money then.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AshevilleApp wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: So you think schools can be trusted? :shock: :lol:

The NCAA set the rule to allow stipends. The fact that not every school can afford to pay this small amount is more proof that schools should not pay athletes. The gap is big enough between programs without allowing payments. Where are the income inequality police when it comes to college athletic departments?
Schools can be trusted as much as anyone who hires athletes for the two months of summer. What's to stop an unscrupulous booster from hiring them at that time and paying someone $40,000 for doing nothing. Remember Oklahoma several years back. And keep in mind, not all parents can afford to help their kids financially. Ultimately the point I keep trying to make is that athletes should have the same opportunity to make money on the side as other students. Personally, I'm looking forward to the day that the larger conferences say fuck the NCAA, were going off on our own. I wonder who CBS will follow with the money then.
DI athletes can work jobs on the side and in work study for the university.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

kalm wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:
Yeah, I worked as abouncer with my two roommates at a Towson strip club for 4 years. It ain't all that great.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

andy7171 wrote:
kalm wrote:
Yeah, I worked as abouncer with my two roommates at a Towson strip club for 4 years. It ain't all that great.
You should have worked at a female strip club...

(BURN!)
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

kalm wrote:
andy7171 wrote: Yeah, I worked as abouncer with my two roommates at a Towson strip club for 4 years. It ain't all that great.
You should have worked at a female strip club...

(BURN!)
It was, jack ass. But in the Countythey had to wear pasties. I had to break up two fights in 4 years. It was an endurance test. I had my favorite dancers in which I made sure no one touched them, the rest were just nasty whores. Nasty like shitting in a bucket in the dressing room. Lots of fun after closing with the owners and dancers just getting hammered. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

kalm wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:
Schools can be trusted as much as anyone who hires athletes for the two months of summer. What's to stop an unscrupulous booster from hiring them at that time and paying someone $40,000 for doing nothing. Remember Oklahoma several years back. And keep in mind, not all parents can afford to help their kids financially. Ultimately the point I keep trying to make is that athletes should have the same opportunity to make money on the side as other students. Personally, I'm looking forward to the day that the larger conferences say **** the NCAA, were going off on our own. I wonder who CBS will follow with the money then.
If that is the case I'm satisfied. :nod: I understood it to be otherwise.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AshevilleApp wrote:
kalm wrote:
Like Andy, I was employed as a DI scholarship athlete in the early 90’s and I’ve employed DI scholarship athletes since. :thumb:

(I was a partial because I mostly sucked. :lol: )
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:
Like Andy, I was employed as a DI scholarship athlete in the early 90’s and I’ve employed DI scholarship athletes since. :thumb:

You were a fluffer? :kisswink:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:

Athlete? I thought you were a golfer? ;)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote:

I keep having to remind my buddies that I'm a professional athlete. They continue to laugh... :ohno:

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote:

It’s more athletic than being a curler
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

CID1990 wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Athlete? I thought you were a golfer? ;)
It’s more athletic than being a curler
I'm betting kalm could not get in this position and then stand up again......on ice.