Jud Heathcote Dies

All other college sports!
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Jud Heathcote Dies

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Aside from his Michigan State fame, he was one of two Montana MBB coaches with an NCAA Tournament win.

http://406mtsports.com/college/basketba ... 84d4b.html
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Jud Heathcote Dies

Post by Gil Dobie »

Rip to another basketball coach out of North Dakota.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote:Image
Magic Johnson's college coach, who led them past a Penn team to meet and beat Larry Bird's team in the NCAA championship.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
93henfan wrote:Image
Magic Johnson's college coach, who led them past a Penn team to meet and beat Larry Bird's team in the NCAA championship.
ND roots, Wazzu grad, cut his teeth coaching HS ball in Spokane before the Griz, WSU, and Michigan State. Retired back to Spokane and was in some ways the face of Gonzaga basketball during this long run. There was a shot of him during almost every broadcast.

93 was probably too busy following Delaware hoops and NASCAR to notice... :ohno:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
ND roots, Wazzu grad, cut his teeth coaching HS ball in Spokane before the Griz, WSU, and Michigan State. Retired back to Spokane and was in some ways the face of Gonzaga basketball during this long run. There was a shot of him during almost every broadcast.

93 was probably too busy following Delaware hoops and NASCAR to notice... :ohno:
??? I'm a big fan of Gonzaga from afar (loved the Cavalry/Frohm/Santangelo teams) and there's no way that Judd Heathcote would be considered the "face of Gonzaga basketball" during this run. Heck, anytime you saw him or heard him, you'd instantly think Michigan St. Mark Few clearly comes to mind well before Heathcote when you mention Gonzaga basketball. So there. :nod:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:

??? I'm a big fan of Gonzaga from afar (loved the Cavalry/Frohm/Santangelo teams) and there's no way that Judd Heathcote would be considered the "face of Gonzaga basketball" during this run. Heck, anytime you saw him or heard him, you'd instantly think Michigan St. Mark Few clearly comes to mind well before Heathcote when you mention Gonzaga basketball. So there. :nod:
I said "in some ways". Sorry, I didn't mean literally.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Jud Heathcote Dies

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
It's a little hyperbole but not completely inaccurate. Jud was the "famous" guy attending their games when they were starting to build a national name during the Monson years. They kept showing him at games later but hecwasn't as big of a deal because of their overall name recognition.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote:
It's a little hyperbole but not completely inaccurate. Jud was the "famous" guy attending their games when they were starting to build a national name during the Monson years. They kept showing him at games later but hecwasn't as big of a deal because of their overall name recognition.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Their becoming a national name was all about that run in 1999 - sure, stuff led up to that but nothing hit nationally until that one run in March Madness and almost beating UConn. Heck, most people couldn't even pick Monson out of a lineup since he left after that run and never made a mark anywhere else despite coaching 18 more years (think he has two NCAA appearances and one tourney win in those 18 years). They stayed a national name, and then some, because of Few - he's the reason why Gonzaga is what they are today and he's the face of Gonzaga. The faces of Gonzaga basketball are Mark Few, John Stockton, and then, heck, maybe Adam Morrison (I was a Casey Cavalry fan, but I realize most people don't know who he was). Jud is Michigan St.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

He also coached a guy named Michael Ray Richardson he was called The Sugarman by teammates&opposing players in the NBA.He could have the OSCAR ROBERTSON of the 80's
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Aside from his Michigan State fame, he was one of two Montana MBB coaches with an NCAA Tournament win.

He coached MICHAEL RAY RICHARDSON ex NY Knick aka SUGAR he was said to be Magic Johnson's worst nightmare.Had Richardson stayed away from drugs have could have been what Johnson wanted to be OSCAR ROBERTSON.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dal4018 wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:Aside from his Michigan State fame, he was one of two Montana MBB coaches with an NCAA Tournament win.

He coached MICHAEL RAY RICHARDSON ex NY Knick aka SUGAR he was said to be Magic Johnson's worst nightmare.Had Richardson stayed away from drugs have could have been what Johnson wanted to be OSCAR ROBERTSON.
Our top story tonight: Jud Heathcote is still dead! 8-)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ivytalk wrote:
dal4018 wrote: He coached MICHAEL RAY RICHARDSON ex NY Knick aka SUGAR he was said to be Magic Johnson's worst nightmare.Had Richardson stayed away from drugs have could have been what Johnson wanted to be OSCAR ROBERTSON.
Our top story tonight: Jud Heathcote is still dead! 8-)
.. waiting with baited breath to see if that changes.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm