All other college sports!
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Indoor Track!!!!

Post by dal4018 »

It has already begun any fans of this sport!!!!!! http://www.tfrrs.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Re: Indoor Track!!!!

Post by vutomcat »

Ex-runner here that was in way over my head at Nova when Jumbo was coach. NJ has some great high school runners that I have been reading about. Have to admit I havnt kept in touch as much as I would like in a few years. Any Olympian types in the CAA??
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

vutomcat wrote:Ex-runner here that was in way over my head at Nova when Jumbo was coach. NJ has some great high school runners that I have been reading about. Have to admit I havnt kept in touch as much as I would like in a few years. Any Olympian types in the CAA??
Yes, but they're being passed over by the Olympic Committee in favor of athletes from other conferences who ran weaker schedules.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Grizalltheway wrote:
vutomcat wrote:Ex-runner here that was in way over my head at Nova when Jumbo was coach. NJ has some great high school runners that I have been reading about. Have to admit I havnt kept in touch as much as I would like in a few years. Any Olympian types in the CAA??
Yes, but they're being passed over by the Olympic Committee in favor of athletes from other conferences who ran weaker schedules.
That's the beauty of Track. The best times are the best times and some undefeated miler running 4:13's would never qualify over a narrowly beaten miler running 4:02. The NCAA track and field world is a much fairer playing field and they actually have qualifying standards for the NCAA championships.

So, go stuff your uninformed sarcasm.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

vutomcat wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
That's the beauty of Track. The best times are the best times and some undefeated miler running 4:13's would never qualify over a narrowly beaten miler running 4:02. The NCAA track and field world is a much fairer playing field and they actually have qualifying standards for the NCAA championships.

So, go stuff your uninformed sarcasm.
Lighten up, Francis.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

The season will really get started this month.I think the New Balance Meet will begin this month or later the top D1 programs will meet each other along with the top mid major programs as well.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

I'am from NJ Villanova considered this state one of it's chief sources of recruiting.In the 60s they took a famous alum of my high school Asbury Park Frank Budd in late 50s '58
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

dal4018 wrote:
I'am from NJ Villanova considered this state one of it's chief sources of recruiting.In the 60s they took a famous alum of my high school Asbury Park Frank Budd in late 50s '58
The world's fastest human! Frank ran a 9.2 100 yard dash on a cinder track if I recall correctly which was the world record back then. His nemesis Bob Hayes was his only competition back in the early sixties. We also had a great 200 meter runner back then- Paul Drayton. These two were a little before my time but coming from a family that cherished Nova I saw them run at Villanova Stadium and Franklin Field (U of Penn) as well.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

vutomcat wrote:
dal4018 wrote: I'am from NJ Villanova considered this state one of it's chief sources of recruiting.In the 60s they took a famous alum of my high school Asbury Park Frank Budd in late 50s '58
The world's fastest human! Frank ran a 9.2 100 yard dash on a cinder track if I recall correctly which was the world record back then. His nemesis Bob Hayes was his only competition back in the early sixties. We also had a great 200 meter runner back then- Paul Drayton. These two were a little before my time but coming from a family that cherished Nova I saw them run at Villanova Stadium and Franklin Field (U of Penn) as well.
Yes that Frank Budd he has a track meet named in his honor in my hometown.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

NBC Sports Network is carrying the Milrose Games today at 3 pm.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

CA State Indoor Meet at Fresno State today and tomorrow. We have athletes competing, but I'm staying home to cover Monday's practice for those who didn't qualify.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote:CA State Indoor Meet at Fresno State today and tomorrow. We have athletes competing, but I'm staying home to cover Monday's practice for those who didn't qualify.
Hey North Dakota St is starting to make noise in the sprints!!!! They clocked a 3:37 in the women's 4x400!!!!
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Indoor Championships are on NBC Sports now!
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

My nephew was back in action this weekend after a long layoff from the sport to recover from injury and refocus. Former NCAA decathlon champ, he competed Saturday in pole vault. Ended up tied for 8th but he was happy given his first real meet back.

Crazy disqualification in the women's 3000. Have a lot of people and athletes claiming corruption by Nike and the USATF. Doesn't help that Nike is the title sponsor. THe long and short of it is, a Brooks athlete won and was DQ'ed after 2 protests by a Nike coach were denied. Nike corporate stepped in and protested officially and USTAF overturned their prior denials in favor of a DQ. Doing so resulted in a Nike athlete qualifying for the world championships and the Brooks athlete not.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

danefan wrote:My nephew was back in action this weekend after a long layoff from the sport to recover from injury and refocus. Former NCAA decathlon champ, he competed Saturday in pole vault. Ended up tied for 8th but he was happy given his first real meet back.

Crazy disqualification in the women's 3000. Have a lot of people and athletes claiming corruption by Nike and the USATF. Doesn't help that Nike is the title sponsor. THe long and short of it is, a Brooks athlete won and was DQ'ed after 2 protests by a Nike coach were denied. Nike corporate stepped in and protested officially and USTAF overturned their prior denials in favor of a DQ. Doing so resulted in a Nike athlete qualifying for the world championships and the Brooks athlete not.
Good for him. Does he now have another job or is he able to focus to a degree on track?

An update since you posted. Hasay (I'll take a guess AlSal or Nike really) dropped the protest likely due to public pressure and Grunewald has been reinstated and will be representing the US in Poland at Worlds. It was horrible running by GG as she could have easily run around both Hasay and Rowbury but went into them - not that it effected the end results.

Feel bad for Hasay as she got a lot crap about this and have to assume she was following her coach's lead. Didn't have the college career many had hoped but did very well if not looking at her after high school.

They interviewed Cain who is in Salazar's crew and only 17 years old after she crushed the 1500. She handled the questions about her teammates as well as she could have. Hope she stays like she is because she is very likeable, very good at interviews for such a young age and a great racer.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

tribe_pride wrote:
danefan wrote:My nephew was back in action this weekend after a long layoff from the sport to recover from injury and refocus. Former NCAA decathlon champ, he competed Saturday in pole vault. Ended up tied for 8th but he was happy given his first real meet back.

Good for him. Does he now have another job or is he able to focus to a degree on track?

An update since you posted. Hasay (I'll take a guess AlSal or Nike really) dropped the protest likely due to public pressure and Grunewald has been reinstated and will be representing the US in Poland at Worlds. It was horrible running by GG as she could have easily run around both Hasay and Rowbury but went into them - not that it effected the end results.

Feel bad for Hasay as she got a lot crap about this and have to assume she was following her coach's lead. Didn't have the college career many had hoped but did very well if not looking at her after high school.

They interviewed Cain who is in Salazar's crew and only 17 years old after she crushed the 1500. She handled the questions about her teammates as well as she could have. Hope she stays like she is because she is very likeable, very good at interviews for such a young age and a great racer.
He's got a part time job but he's really focusing on training. Living in Knoxville and training with Tim Mack.

I saw Hassay pulled out. It really does suck for her but she was outgunned in that race anyway. GG was just so much stronger at the kick. But yes, she could have easily just gone outside form the first move, which she ended up doing eventually anyway. Seems like it all worked out the way it should have, but it did expose some serious tensions between athletes and USATF, in particular the non-Nike athletes.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

danefan wrote:
He's got a part time job but he's really focusing on training. Living in Knoxville and training with Tim Mack.

I saw Hassay pulled out. It really does suck for her but she was outgunned in that race anyway. GG was just so much stronger at the kick. But yes, she could have easily just gone outside form the first move, which she ended up doing eventually anyway. Seems like it all worked out the way it should have, but it did expose some serious tensions between athletes and USATF, in particular the non-Nike athletes.

Good for him for giving it a go. Can't be easy in some of those events that don't get the spotlight to keep going after graduation.

As for the issues, yeah - USATF is coming off really bad on all of this as their process of dq'ing GG was horrible. If she had been dq'd right away or after initial appeal, there would have been some controversy but not to this degree.

Nike funds so many USATF events and so much of USATF, they will always have some influence. I have no problem with them having some influence since without them, US track and field is in a lot worse shape. For instances like this though, USATF needs to do its best to get some impartiality out there.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Francena McCorory's Indoor American mark is in danger the winning time from the SEC Championships was 50.94.Fran's mark is 50.54!!!!
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

dal4018 wrote:

Sad news to report. Frank just passed away on May 1st. He was living in Marlton, NJ. :cry:
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

vutomcat wrote:
dal4018 wrote: I'am from NJ Villanova considered this state one of it's chief sources of recruiting.In the 60s they took a famous alum of my high school Asbury Park Frank Budd in late 50s '58

Sad news to report. Frank just passed away on May 1st. He was living in Marlton, NJ. :cry:
Yes already know a close friend told me this sometime ago again shocked that the hometown paper AP Press(NJ) that carried his exploits took its own sweet time talking about this local legend!!!!
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

I'm excited too.

I mean, uh, !!!!!!