Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Team Trump v/s Everyone

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:53 am
kalm wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:38 am

Not now. It would require Congress to pass a bill. Criminal court be damned.
No, no, no. Read the opinion from the court. They clearly say existing code, passed by Congress, gives the legal pathway to enact Section 3.
nstead, it is Congress that has long given effect to Section 3 with respect to would-be or existing federal officeholders. Shortly after ratification of the Amendment, Congress enacted the Enforcement Act of 1870. That Act
authorized federal district attorneys to bring civil actions in
federal court to remove anyone holding nonlegislative office—federal or state—in violation of Section 3, and made
holding or attempting to hold office in violation of Section 3
a federal crime. §§14, 15, 16 Stat. 143–144 (repealed, 35
Stat. 1153–1154, 62 Stat. 992–993). In the years following
ratification, the House and Senate exercised their unique
powers under Article I to adjudicate challenges contending
that certain prospective or sitting Members could not take
or retain their seats due to Section 3. See Art. I, §5, cls. 1,
2; 1 A. Hinds, Precedents of the House of Representatives
§§459–463, pp. 470–486 (1907). And the Confiscation Act
of 1862, which predated Section 3, effectively provided an
additional procedure for enforcing disqualification. That
law made engaging in insurrection or rebellion, among
other acts, a federal crime punishable by disqualification
from holding office under the United States. See §§2, 3, 12
Stat. 590. A successor to those provisions remains on the
books today. See 18 U. S. C. §2383.
I bolded the end of it. They say, right in the opinion, that Congress already has acted and that the provision from Congress still exists today. That's what makes the concurrence from the liberal side so strange - it's like they wanted to be upset about something, but couldn't really figure out what to be upset over. So they basically said "we agree, but we don't like it". The mechanism to remove a candidate from the ballot is there - Congress passed it - Sec 5 is satisfied, so for Sec 3 to take place all you have to do is convict him of insurrection. Something no one, in all of these lawsuits, has thought, or wanted, to charge him with. Pretending that the opinion says something other than this is a just a lot of teeth-gnashing by pundits that want to complain about something other than what's written.
A person can be convicted but congress still has the final say.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:06 am
houndawg wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:04 pm
I don't get why the Democrats aren't blowing the "..if-he-has-nothing-to-hide.." horn every day. And keep playing the videos of his medicated ramblings..he's losing his shit - and the multi-billionaire can't even post a measley $500,000,000 bond....
Medicated ramblings?

How much have you heard about the bag of coke that was found in the Whitehouse? Hmmm
How much have you heard about the Xanax?

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

houndawg wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:04 pm

I don't get why the Democrats aren't blowing the "..if-he-has-nothing-to-hide.." horn every day. And keep playing the videos of his medicated ramblings..he's losing his shit - and the multi-billionaire can't even post a measley $500,000,000 bond....
Medicated ramblings?

How much have you heard about the bag of coke that was found in the Whitehouse? Hmmm
Sweating like a pig... the meaningless stream-of-consciousness verbal ejaculations.... the convulsive jerking and twitching of the hands...the compulsive tweeting in the middle of the night...straight up speed/xanax freak
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:24 am

Medicated ramblings?

How much have you heard about the Xanax?

I want to tell you all a story
about this chick I used to know
her name was amphetimine Annie
and she was always shoveling snow
But Donnie kept on speeding
his health was getting poor
he saw things at the window
he heard things at the door..

maybe time to have Weird Al look into a parody of an old Canned Heat tune...
Last edited by houndawg on Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:21 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:53 am

No, no, no. Read the opinion from the court. They clearly say existing code, passed by Congress, gives the legal pathway to enact Section 3.

I bolded the end of it. They say, right in the opinion, that Congress already has acted and that the provision from Congress still exists today. That's what makes the concurrence from the liberal side so strange - it's like they wanted to be upset about something, but couldn't really figure out what to be upset over. So they basically said "we agree, but we don't like it". The mechanism to remove a candidate from the ballot is there - Congress passed it - Sec 5 is satisfied, so for Sec 3 to take place all you have to do is convict him of insurrection. Something no one, in all of these lawsuits, has thought, or wanted, to charge him with. Pretending that the opinion says something other than this is a just a lot of teeth-gnashing by pundits that want to complain about something other than what's written.
A person can be convicted but congress still has the final say.
Of course they do, that's how the amendment is written. But Congress's "final say" is only in whether they, by a 2/3 vote in each House, vote to overturn a conviction. Prior to that and absent that, a simple conviction under 18 U. S. C. §2383 is enough to ban someone from office. Congress already, as SCOTUS pointed out, has performed their Section 5 duty.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:17 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:30 pm
Nothing new to be learned about Trump and 1/6.

150 miliion people won’t get to hear if the trials are legit before the election because not enough time for appelate and/or SCOTUS to overturn.

If he’s elected they can have the trials in 2029.

No tbey don’t need to be expedited. They should be allowed to run at a normal speed course, which in a trial such as this wouldn’t be taking place until 2025. Smith and Chutkan have tried to run the DC trial at warp speed because they are hell bent on having Trump tried before the election. Chutkan has only allowed days or weeks for motions and hearings that would normally take months. Smith bypassed a sure win in the full DC Court of Appeals on Trump immunity in order to go striaght to SCOTUS because he is hellbent on having the trial before the election. Fortunately SCOTUS has thrown a monkey wrench on Smith’s and Chrutkan’s scheme.

And then there’s the DOJ’s 60 Day Rule which would preclude a fed trial this Fall. Of course I’m sure they would say that doesn’t apply to Trump because Orange Man Bad something something.
Because the voters have a right to know if they're voting for a convicted felon before they vote.

Actually we already know - if he had nothing to hide he wouldn't want to delay. :coffee:
The voters already know everything Trump said and did on 1/6. And they have a right to know if any political trial conviction in the most lib jury pool in the country along with donk presecutor and judge would withstand being overturned on appeal. In DC Trump would be convicted anything: killing Kennedy, drowning puppies, etc, you name it. Smith knows a DC conviction of Trump would be overturned by SCOTUS, but that doesn’t matter if a conviction came before the election and the overturning came after, which would be mission accomplished.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:30 pm And then there’s the DOJ’s 60 Day Rule which would preclude a fed trial this Fall.
there's not any DOJ rule that says this.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:35 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:30 pm And then there’s the DOJ’s 60 Day Rule which would preclude a fed trial this Fall.
there's not any DOJ rule that says this.
It's been mentioned by Jack Smith that he would still be outside the "60 day interference window" if he could go to trial soon.

I'll see if I can find a quote, but do remember reading it the other day, in addition to it being a pretty much long standing rule. I think that's why Hillary was so pissed.

Edit (2 minutes later)

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/dojs-60 ... =107789927
What is DOJ's '60-day rule' and what role might it play in a Trump trial before the 2024 election?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Trump was indicted by Jack Smith long ago. More than a year before the election. Before Trump even announced his candidacy. The DOJ rule isn't that everything must be wrapped up and all trials concluded before a 60 day window.

DOJ would not have let Jack Smith indict Trump in the 60 day window. But, that is moot.

Edit: did you read it in the 2 minutes you searched for it?
Bratt responded that the policy Cannon was referring to related to bringing indictments in the days leading up to an election, and was not relevant to the documents case for which Trump was first indicted last June.
Horowitz also notably cited statements on the rule from a then-senior ranking DOJ official who is now a top assistant to Smith, Ray Hulser.

Hulser told Horowitz that there was "a sense, there still is, that there is a rule out there, that there is some specific place where it says 60 days or 90 days back from a primary or general [election], that you can't indict or do specific investigative steps."

"He said that there is not any such specific rule, and there never has been, but that there is a general admonition that politics should play no role in investigative decisions, and that taking investigative steps to impact an election is inconsistent with the Department's mission and violates the principles of federal prosecution," the report stated.

While senior officials in the department had considered making the "60-day rule" a formal policy as part of a separate memorandum issued by former attorneys general related to "Election Year Sensitivities," Hulser said the idea was rejected as "unworkable."
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:50 pm Trump was indicted by Jack Smith long ago. More than a year before the election. Before Trump even announced his candidacy. The DOJ rule isn't that everything must be wrapped up and all trials concluded before a 60 day window.

DOJ would not have let Jack Smith indict Trump in the 60 day window. But, that is moot.

Bratt responded that the policy Cannon was referring to related to bringing indictments in the days leading up to an election, and was not relevant to the documents case for which Trump was first indicted last June.
Horowitz also notably cited statements on the rule from a then-senior ranking DOJ official who is now a top assistant to Smith, Ray Hulser.

Hulser told Horowitz that there was "a sense, there still is, that there is a rule out there, that there is some specific place where it says 60 days or 90 days back from a primary or general [election], that you can't indict or do specific investigative steps."

"He said that there is not any such specific rule, and there never has been, but that there is a general admonition that politics should play no role in investigative decisions, and that taking investigative steps to impact an election is inconsistent with the Department's mission and violates the principles of federal prosecution," the report stated.

While senior officials in the department had considered making the "60-day rule" a formal policy as part of a separate memorandum issued by former attorneys general related to "Election Year Sensitivities," Hulser said the idea was rejected as "unworkable."
:nod:

I tried to point this out a few days ago. An autumn trial would be no one’s doing other than Trump.

Much hand wringing will ensue.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GD double post.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:18 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:50 pm Trump was indicted by Jack Smith long ago. More than a year before the election. Before Trump even announced his candidacy. The DOJ rule isn't that everything must be wrapped up and all trials concluded before a 60 day window.

I tried to point this out a few days ago. An autumn trial would be no one’s doing other than Trump.

:suspicious: :dunce:
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:50 am

I tried to point this out a few days ago. [bW]An autumn trial would be no one’s doing other than Trump.[/b]

I’m proud of you for acknowledging your posting difficulties.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:48 am

I tried to point this out a few days ago. [bW]An autumn trial would be no one’s doing other than Trump.[/b]

:lol:
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Jumping through hoops to anoint the worst President of all time with 4 more years ….

Bye Bye Miss American Pie…
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:18 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:48 am

:lol:
Clearly you’re having the same problem. We heard you the 1st time.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote:Jumping through hoops to anoint the worst President of all time with 4 more years ….

That could be true regardless of which of the 2 leading candidates wins in 2024.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:06 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote:Jumping through hoops to anoint the worst President of all time with 4 more years ….

That could be true regardless of which of the 2 leading candidates wins in 2024.

No

Trump actually loves his country

Both Trump and Biden love dollars yes

But only one actually loves America 🇺🇸
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:48 pm
No

trump actually loves his country ... :rofl: You might want to join SG and lay off the MAQA kool-aid.

trump loves himself, not his country and not America. His country and America are a means to an end - more power, more wealth and more sheep worshiping him (including defending/deflecting any crticism with cries of tDS, but trump, I can't refute your criticism so I'm going to call you names).
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

No

Someone who loves the flag does not:

Support Putin
Flatter Kim Jong Un
Disparage our troops
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

No

but only one of them has to cough up half a billion in fines for his criminal activities.

Thats whats really killing him, CH - very shortly even bootlickers like you are going to find out what a phony he is. :nod:

Dude's supposedly worth $10,000,000,000 but he can't pay a piss ant $83,000,000 fine.... :lol:

Every time we see him now he looks like a slightly further deflated helium balloon than the last time we saw him.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

It's time for another weekly review of Trump's winning. This week:

Ran out of time to put up a bond in the E. Jean Carroll case. Monday asset seizure will commence.

Ordered to pay $380,000 for Steel's legal fees.

Still on the clock to put up a bond for his fraud trial.

Claims he is super rich and doesn't need to worry about money, yet his parking lot attorney is begging the court to reduce the amount of his bond.

So much winning!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

bobbythekidd wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:39 am It's time for another weekly review of Trump's winning. This week:

Ran out of time to put up a bond in the E. Jean Carroll case. Monday asset seizure will commence.

Claims he is super rich and doesn't need to worry about money, yet his parking lot attorney is begging the court to reduce the amount of his bond.

So much winning!
Newsflash: Most billionaires have only a tiny percent of their wealth liquid at any one time, and don’t have a half billion+ in liquid assets lying around.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:55 am
bobbythekidd wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:39 am It's time for another weekly review of Trump's winning. This week:

So much winning!
Newsflash: Most billionaires have only a tiny percent of their wealth liquid at any one time, and don’t have a half billion+ in liquid assets lying around.
Sure. If it’s all in property and not invested. Sounds like a him problem.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:55 am

So much winning!
I'll agree with your point 100%. However, isn't it telling that no bank or bond company will go anywhere near him now? He isn't credit worthy and is too leveraged on his assets.

I also forgot to include that he endorsed a man that was just arrested for murder