kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

WA State ranked #2 for business.

Post by kalm »

Alki! :lol:
The study compared all 50 states on 88 different metrics.

Washington's unemployment rate, as of may, was 3.9% with a state population of 7.7 million.

In 2021, Washington ranked 11th in the economy category. In 2022, that ranking moved to third place.

The state's cost of living remained the same from last year, at 38th place.

Idaho ranked 20th and Montana ranked 30th.
https://www.khq.com/news/cnbcs-annual-t ... &fs=e&s=cl
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: WA State ranked #2 for business.

Post by HI54UNI »

Interesting to look the categories. Washington is 33rd in cost of doing business, 31st in business friendliness, and 38th in cost of living but ranks 2nd in technology, 3rd in economy, and 4th in workforce. So if you have a business it's going to be expensive to run but you have other things going for you! :lol:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:29 am Interesting to look the categories. Washington is 33rd in cost of doing business, 31st in business friendliness, and 38th in cost of living but ranks 2nd in technology, 3rd in economy, and 4th in workforce. So if you have a business it's going to be expensive to run but you have other things going for you! :lol:
That’s part of why I posted it. This is the consolidation of corporate power and monopoly that I’ve been talking about for years on here. CNBC is a willing accomplice.

Small businesses and competition continue to suffer here too.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Texas is the 5th best place for business but the 2nd worst place to live according to CNBC's metrics. :lol:

Iowa is pretty good, 12th best for business and 10th best for living. Inclusiveness is listed as a weakness for place to live but the category with inclusiveness in the business rankings is Iowa's best category. :roll:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:35 am
HI54UNI wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:29 am Interesting to look the categories. Washington is 33rd in cost of doing business, 31st in business friendliness, and 38th in cost of living but ranks 2nd in technology, 3rd in economy, and 4th in workforce. So if you have a business it's going to be expensive to run but you have other things going for you! :lol:
That’s part of why I posted it. This is the consolidation of corporate power and monopoly that I’ve been talking about for years on here. CNBC is a willing accomplice.

Largest factor in why Washington was so high. Essentially the state has a lot of educated workers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/13/how-we- ... -2022.html
Here are this year’s categories and weightings, and an explanation of each:

Workforce (410 points – 16%)

With skilled workers in such short supply and a new push for domestic manufacturing, the definition of a qualified worker is expanding. In addition to each state’s concentration of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) workers and the percentage of workers with college degrees, we now also consider workers with associate degrees and industry-recognized certificates. We look at which states are most successful in attracting talent at all levels, considering the net migration of educated workers to each state on a short- and long-term basis. We look at state worker training programs, right to work laws, and worker productivity based on economic output per job.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Are you sure it's just consolidation of corporate power and monopoly? Maybe there is a logical reason that companies are headquartered in or have a strong presence in Seattle. When you have a strong tech sector it attracts other tech companies because they want access to the talent. It's not just Amazon and Microsoft in Seattle. After visiting UDub last week, 88.3 and I drove around Lake Union while waiting for a dinner reservation. We drove past offices for Google, Adobe and assorted other Silicon Valley tech giants. Adidas' US headquarters is in Portland. Maybe because Nike is here and they want access to the talent, knowledge and experience.

That clustering isn't just good for big businesses, it gives employees options and leverage both to switch to higher paying jobs at other companies or to start their own companies. These companies and employees are pushing the technological envelope and technology advancements create disruptions that are good for new businesses and competition. 10-20 years from now, Google and Amazon will have slipped back into the pack and you'll be complaining about the companies that replaced them at the top.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:03 pm

Are you sure it's just consolidation of corporate power and monopoly? Maybe there is a logical reason that companies are headquartered in or have a strong presence in Seattle. When you have a strong tech sector it attracts other tech companies because they want access to the talent. It's not just Amazon and Microsoft in Seattle. After visiting UDub last week, 88.3 and I drove around Lake Union while waiting for a dinner reservation. We drove past offices for Google, Adobe and assorted other Silicon Valley tech giants. Adidas' US headquarters is in Portland. Maybe because Nike is here and they want access to the talent, knowledge and experience.

That clustering isn't just good for big businesses, it gives employees options and leverage both to switch to higher paying jobs at other companies or to start their own companies. These companies and employees are pushing the technological envelope and technology advancements create disruptions that are good for new businesses and competition. 10-20 years from now, Google and Amazon will have slipped back into the pack and you'll be complaining about the companies that replaced them at the top.
I’m just observing rather than complaining. I could have typed your exact same post. I could go on to point the tons of service sector jobs created by their presence. The issues are when size and power destroy competition and fail to meet the economic/standard of living expectations of small businesses owners and the working class.