Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Ron Desantis declares war on Disney

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:11 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:08 pm
:lol:

Reagan, like many, didn’t understand that fascism is a right wing movement.

Sinclair Lewis was attributed with the “wrapped in a flag carrying a Bible” description but it was never confirmed. From the Sinclair Lewis Society:

“Did Sinclair Lewis say, "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"?

This quote sounds like something Sinclair Lewis might have said or written, but we've never been able to find this exact quote. Here are passages from two novels Lewis wrote that are similar to the quote attributed to him.

From It Can't Happen Here: "But he saw too that in America the struggle was befogged by the fact that the worst Fascists were they who disowned the word 'Fascism' and preached enslavement to Capitalism under the style of Constitutional and Traditional Native American Liberty."

From Gideon Planish: "I just wish people wouldn't quote Lincoln or the Bible, or hang out the flag or the cross, to cover up something that belongs more to the bank-book and the three golden balls."

Seems to fit still today for some.
IF fascism is a “right wing movement”, what do you call a movement that:

* insists on lockstep agreement with all party platforms
* wants control of the media and views conservative control of ANY media as “a disaster”
* wants to destroy the economic system that made America the greatest country on the planet in just over 100 years
* is fine with censored speech
* is fine with banning books and people they don’t agree with
* has suggested “reeducation camps” for those who don’t conform
* believes anyone who disagrees with them is the devil

Maybe it’s not called fascism, but it certainly isn’t Utopia.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:51 pm

Sinclair Lewis was attributed with the “wrapped in a flag carrying a Bible” description but it was never confirmed. From the Sinclair Lewis Society:

“Did Sinclair Lewis say, "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"?

This quote sounds like something Sinclair Lewis might have said or written, but we've never been able to find this exact quote. Here are passages from two novels Lewis wrote that are similar to the quote attributed to him.

From It Can't Happen Here: "But he saw too that in America the struggle was befogged by the fact that the worst Fascists were they who disowned the word 'Fascism' and preached enslavement to Capitalism under the style of Constitutional and Traditional Native American Liberty."

From Gideon Planish: "I just wish people wouldn't quote Lincoln or the Bible, or hang out the flag or the cross, to cover up something that belongs more to the bank-book and the three golden balls."

Seems to fit still today for some.

* wants control of the media and views conservative control of ANY media as “a disaster”
* wants to destroy the economic system that made America the greatest country on the planet in just over 100 years

1). There is no “IF”. You’re thinking maybe of totalitarianism or authoritarianism? Those can apply to both sides of the spectrum.

2). Yee Haw! Copy…ya sumbitch pile of monkey nuts!

(Oh wait…you actually think you’re rant ONLY applies to one side of the spectrum.)

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:36 pm
Ibanez wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:55 am
He isn't "biting back." he's engaging in the same abuse of power crap that Republicans complain about. It's tit for tat political theater and nothing more. It's red meat for the base.
Legally taking away a sweetheart tax deal is abuse of power? :?
Pull the thread, bub. Why are the Republicans (who have been recipients of Disney donations) taking it away now? Do the work, Baldy.
Last edited by Ibanez on Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:56 pm
Ibanez wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:55 am
He isn't "biting back." he's engaging in the same abuse of power crap that Republicans complain about. It's tit for tat political theater and nothing more. It's red meat for the base.
A) how is it abuse of power
B) how is it political theater. Isn’t ALL politics “political theatre”?
C) Of course it’s “red meat” for the base. Isn’t that a politician’s objective?

Really not a bright post all the way around, Mark.
This didn't just occur out of nowhere, Tom. Take a look at everything and be objective. Just like you won't do the leg work for kalm, I won't do it for you. You're a big boy. :D
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Btw - I hope the irony of conservatives supporting the cancellation of Disney isn't lost on anyone. :lol: :lol: B/c that's what it is - Republicans going after a company for things they have said (and it started before this bill was signed).
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:42 am
Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:36 pm
Legally taking away a sweetheart tax deal is abuse of power? :?
Pull the thread, bub. Why are the Republicans (who have been recipients of Disney donations) taking it away now? Do the work, Baldy.
Abuse of power by an elected official is illegal and grounds for impeachment.

What is the impeachable offense here?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:08 pm

There's nothing about fascism that makes it an exclusively right wing movement. That's mainly just a speaking point from the left wing in the hope that people don't recognize the fascist tendencies of the left. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:42 am

There's nothing about fascism that makes it an exclusively right wing movement. That's mainly just a speaking point from the left wing in the hope that people don't recognize the fascist tendencies of the left. :coffee:
It’s literally in the definition. It’s a movement with a history as well as a modern component.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote:Btw - I hope the irony of conservatives supporting the cancellation of Disney isn't lost on anyone. Image Image B/c that's what it is - Republicans going after a company for things they have said (and it started before this bill was signed).
Yep. Florida Republicans, insecure & immature.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Baldy wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:46 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:42 am

Abuse of power by an elected official is illegal and grounds for impeachment.

What is the impeachable offense here?
You don't think using your position to politically punish someone who criticizes you is an abuse of power?

Maybe you are comfortable with that but I'm not. No company or its employees should face any retribution for having a difference of opinion - even if they're wrong.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:00 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:51 pm

1). There is no “IF”. You’re thinking maybe of totalitarianism or authoritarianism? Those can apply to both sides of the spectrum.

2). Yee Haw! Copy…ya sumbitch pile of monkey nuts!

(Oh wait…you actually think you’re rant ONLY applies to one side of the spectrum.)

The vast majority of people on the other side of the "spectrum" just want to be left the fuck alone. We're not a bunch of mask-wearing Karens who think OUR way is the ONLY way.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:45 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:56 pm

A) how is it abuse of power
B) how is it political theater. Isn’t ALL politics “political theatre”?
C) Of course it’s “red meat” for the base. Isn’t that a politician’s objective?

Really not a bright post all the way around, Mark.
This didn't just occur out of nowhere, Tom. Take a look at everything and be objective. Just like you won't do the leg work for kalm, I won't do it for you. You're a big boy. :D
In other words, you have no answer to A, B or C. Because your post was weak. Here' I'll help you:

a) It's not abuse of power. He's doing EXACTLY what he was elected to do
B) It's not political theater, it's politics. Governing.
C) Godforfuckingbid he do things that appeal to his constituents and gets him reelected. Dumbass donks should try that strategy instead of insisting that THEY know best for everyone and then getting bludgeoned in the mid terms. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:01 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:42 am

It’s literally in the definition. It’s a movement with a history as well as a modern component.
Which definition? Wiki's? Is that a reliable source now? No mention of "far right" shows up in other locations - dictionary.com, merriam-websters, or britannica. Heck, the root of the word in Italian (meaning "bundle") actually comes from a description of labor and agrarian unions in the 1870's. Merriam-Webster's definition is...
a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
By that definition, anyone across the political spectrum could be a fascist. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Brian Kemp is a better governor then Ron DeSantis. Change my mind.
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

Disney declared war on Florida. Florida responded by revoking Disney’s privileged status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

Disney declared war on Florida. Florida responded by revoking Disney’s privileged status.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

In Florida, DeSantis punishes Disney — by giving it a big tax cut
They could only have watched in amazement as Florida’s Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, pursuing his vendetta against the company for its opposition to his so-called “Don’t Say Gay” law, signed a measure that awards the company a tax break estimated at $164 million a year and stuck voters in the Orlando area with the cost.
Is this true? If yes, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:09 am
kalm wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:01 am

Which definition? Wiki's? Is that a reliable source now? No mention of "far right" shows up in other locations - dictionary.com, merriam-websters, or britannica. Heck, the root of the word in Italian (meaning "bundle") actually comes from a description of labor and agrarian unions in the 1870's. Merriam-Webster's definition is...
a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
By that definition, anyone across the political spectrum could be a fascist. :coffee:
One thing you bastards have taught me over the years is to not be careless with sources. So no, I wasn’t referring to the wiki definition and I swear to God right wing was a part of many if not most definitions including Brittanica and MW. But dammit, you appear right. :lol:

Regardless, many of the ideological tendencies are very much right wing starting with the opposing views between fascists communists. Mussolini and Hitler hated the commies, no?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Ron DeSantis Dyes Hair, Gets Spray Tan In Preparation For 2024 Presidential Run

"What are you talking about? This is how I've always looked!" said DeSantis to questioning reporters. "And I don't appreciate it, OK? You are fake news. And frankly, it's disgraceful. Some people might even say you're losers, too. Many people are saying that, anyway. Enemies of the people. Sad."
:rofl:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:56 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:45 am
In other words, you have no answer to A, B or C. Because your post was weak. Here' I'll help you:

a) It's not abuse of power. He's doing EXACTLY what he was elected to do
B) It's not political theater, it's politics. Governing.
C) Godforfuckingbid he do things that appeal to his constituents and gets him reelected. Dumbass donks should try that strategy instead of insisting that THEY know best for everyone and then getting bludgeoned in the mid terms. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You are not thinking objectively.

You really think he was elected to fight with a company and force the taxpayers of 2 counties to take on a trillion dollar burden? He wasn't elected to fight with companies when they speak out against his policies. He was elected to serve every single resident, regardless of political affiliation, for the greater good. Tell me how revoking the special districts b/c Disney said something he didn't like about COVID, this bill and other things is what he was elected for? That's pretty ridiculous.

He isn't governing...he's throwing a hissy fit b/c he can't tolerate a differing POV. :tothehand:

Tell you what - if a Governor decided to punish Hobby Lobby or Chick-fil-A over their comments on LGBT rights, you'd be calling for that Governors head.
Last edited by Ibanez on Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

LeadBolt wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:39 am Disney declared war on Florida. Florida responded by revoking Disney’s privileged status.

How? By voicing an opposing point of view? Republicans have become such snowflakes.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:13 am
LeadBolt wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:39 am Disney declared war on Florida. Florida responded by revoking Disney’s privileged status.

How? By voicing an opposing point of view? Republicans have become such snowflakes.
Well, I think Disney did more than voice an opposing viewpoint. They did say they were going to exclusively financially support Democratic candidates for office as a result of this. I'm not saying anything DeSantis is doing here is remotely right, but it's not as if Disney was just issuing a press release to agree to disagree and left it at that.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:17 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:13 am

Well, I think Disney did more than voice an opposing viewpoint. They did say they were going to exclusively financially support Democratic candidates for office as a result of this. I'm not saying anything DeSantis is doing here is remotely right, but it's not as if Disney was just issuing a press release to agree to disagree and left it at that.
OH that's right...they've stopped supporting Republicans like they had been. So Ron was elected to badly treat businesses that don't donate to his party... Got it. :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:20 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:17 am

OH that's right...they've stopped supporting Republicans like they had been. So Ron was elected to badly treat businesses that don't donate to his party... Got it. :lol:
Like I said, I don't support DeSantis at all, but when a business or a group stands up and says they're going to do everything they can to defeat a politician, that politician, D or R, tends to go into survival mode. It doesn't make for great politics, but it's not like this is without plentiful examples of it being done, well, forever. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

I'll add in better leader
UNI88 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:35 am Brian Kemp is a better governor then Ron DeSantis. Change my mind.
No takers ...