BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: January 6 - How much do you care?

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:24 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:11 pm I can’t get above a 2. It was a riot, which is bad, but riots happen all the time, and it was hardly a threat to our “democracy.”
I agree with this basically. It was a violent mob and it certainly was a riot. But there was 0.00% chance of it ever resulting in a coup or a threat to our democracy or anything else some people have said it was a "close call". A couple hundred whackos wearing MAGA hats weren't about to make the other 330 million of us agree to whatever puppet government they would've tried to set up. I think this is why the closing of the Capitol building for almost 2 years irks me. Nothing that happens there, and no one who works there, is so central to our democracy that without them we would be doomed. Washington DC isn't that important, nor the folks who work there.
100k people there at a protest.
725 been charged. Most just tresspass
225 been charged with more. Google it.

So yeah, a violent mob amd riot where 99.693 were peaceful.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:10 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:24 pm

I agree with this basically. It was a violent mob and it certainly was a riot. But there was 0.00% chance of it ever resulting in a coup or a threat to our democracy or anything else some people have said it was a "close call". A couple hundred whackos wearing MAGA hats weren't about to make the other 330 million of us agree to whatever puppet government they would've tried to set up. I think this is why the closing of the Capitol building for almost 2 years irks me. Nothing that happens there, and no one who works there, is so central to our democracy that without them we would be doomed. Washington DC isn't that important, nor the folks who work there.
100k people there at a protest.
725 been charged. Most just tresspass
225 been charged with more. Google it.

So yeah, a violent mob amd riot where 99.693 were peaceful.
There were plenty enough people fighting with the cops to be a violent mob in the process of rioting. I googled it, certainly was enough violence. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:50 pm
Ibanez wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:48 pm
She was attempting to enter a government building by force during a riot. She fucked around and found out.
Ok so you agree hundreds of BLANTIFA in Portland should have been shot by the police last yr. Because hundreds of them tried to enter a govt fed building/courthouse by force.
Should have been? No, but I also wouldn't have shed a tear or blamed the police if they had been. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes should apply to idiots on both sides.

The ideology of the rioter also shouldn't change whether you back the blue or not.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I care because what led up to it, its occurrence, and what has transpired since with respect to the Republican Party's defense of it as well as its defense of the guy who inspired it is of great concern.

I care more about the general phenomenon through which a substantial percentage of the population is willing to follow, support, and practically worship somebody like Trump. I care more about the fact that one of our two major political parties won't call what's going on out because a substantial portion of their base is a cult. That stuff...what's underneath the manifestation we saw on January 6...is a 10.

The fact that somebody like Trump could get elected in this country and the fact that members of a major political party have to pander to him in order to survive their primaries should be of deep concern to anybody who has any sense. As I've said may times: It indicates that we have a serious rotten pustule in our population. And, while it is not the minority, it is not small.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:48 pm I care because what led up to it, its occurrence, and what has transpired since with respect to the Republican Party's defense of it as well as its defense of the guy who inspired it is of great concern.

I care more about the general phenomenon through which a substantial percentage of the population is willing to follow, support, and practically worship somebody like Trump. I care more about the fact that one of our two major political parties won't call what's going on out because a substantial portion of their base is a cult. That stuff...what's underneath the manifestation we saw on January 6...is a 10.

The fact that somebody like Trump could get elected in this country and the fact that members of a major political party have to pander to him in order to survive their primaries should be of deep concern to anybody who has any sense. As I've said may times: It indicates that we have a serious rotten pustule in our population. And, while it is not the minority, it is not small.
Wow. I haven’t heard this from you beforez Tell us more..
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:42 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:37 pm

If that cop hadn't shot the AF vet, how "considerable" would you consider the event then? Because they sure as hell didn't consider the occupation of AOC's office for 10 days an "insurrection" and this thing was over in about 4 hours.
The same as any other "protests" that entered government buildings and broke shit...so a 1.
Saying that was the same as any other protest that entered government buildings and broke stuff is ridiculous.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:51 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:48 pm I care because what led up to it, its occurrence, and what has transpired since with respect to the Republican Party's defense of it as well as its defense of the guy who inspired it is of great concern.

The fact that you've heard it before doesn't make it any less true. You need to snap out of it and understand that it is true instead of just hearing it.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:55 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:51 pm
The fact that you've heard it before doesn't make it any less true. You need to snap out of it and understand that it is true instead of just hearing it.
You need to snap out of it and stop posting TL/DR posts..
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Good Twitter thread from Andy Ngo reminding people of the riots at the Capitol and WH our trash media won't report.

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Pwns wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:08 pm Good Twitter thread from Andy Ngo reminding people of the riots at the Capitol and WH our trash media won't report.

That's not Andy.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Crap pasted the wrong thread.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW, with respect to Tucker Carlson's humiliation of Ted Cruz, I think that what happened on January 6, 2020 does meet the definition of "terrorism."

Here is a link to the US Code definition: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2331
(5)the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—
(A)involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
(B)appear to be intended—
(i)to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii)to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii)to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
(C)occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States; and
I think that what happened on January 6, 2020, clearly fits into B.ii and possibly into b.iii. It was terrorism. Tucker Carlson, by saying what Cruz said previously was a lie, was full of shit. As usual.
Could I ever be a star?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JoanStBehar wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:31 pm BTW, with respect to Tucker Carlson's humiliation of Ted Cruz, I think that what happened on January 6, 2020 does meet the definition of "terrorism."

Here is a link to the US Code definition: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2331
(A)involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
(iii)to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
(C)occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States; and
I think that what happened on January 6, 2020, clearly fits into B.ii and possibly into b.iii. It was terrorism. Tucker Carlson, by saying what Cruz said previously was a lie, was full of shit. As usual.
Those descriptions also apply to the BLM/AnTiFa riots that occurred in various places in 2020. I guess AnTiFa is more than an idea, it's a terrorist organization.

The full weight of the federal government should be thrown into prosecuting the terrorists and their enablers (Hello Rep. Waters) involved in all of the rioting. :coffee:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:02 pm I didn't make the rules, I just follow them, dude. It wasn't a riot, by any reasonable measure.

Then what was it?
Well, I saw some pretty violent stuff that CNN classified as “mostly peaceful”

By CNN’s metric, Id call the Jan 6 protest “mostly peaceful”

The Jacobins and their media stenographers invent the language, I just use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Identical to BLM riots.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:31 pm BTW, with respect to Tucker Carlson's humiliation of Ted Cruz, I think that what happened on January 6, 2020 does meet the definition of "terrorism."

By that definition every single BLM and ANTIFA riot was domestic terrorism as well, yet you’re not on here crowing about those….and they’ve done 100x the damage and caused 20x the deaths.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:54 pm
SDHornet wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:42 pm

The same as any other "protests" that entered government buildings and broke shit...so a 1.
Saying that was the same as any other protest that entered government buildings and broke stuff is ridiculous.
True. The outcome was far milder than left-wing protests that blew up government buildings.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:09 pm
Pwns wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:53 am

I give up, kalm. What am I missing?
I think he's trying to claim that it was an existential threat to our democracy.
We don’t know enough to make that claim yet. But there were a hell of a lot of coincidences. From the Meadows take to the Willard Hotel command center to Flynn calling for Marshall Law. :suspicious: :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... yVrWHh538U

If you believe Peter Navarro’s interview on MSNBC the riot got in the way of a perfectly fine rendition of the “Green Bay Sweep”. :?

If this were a Democratic conspiracy you guys would be screaming from the roof tops and keeping your powder dry. :nod:
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:04 am
I think he's trying to claim that it was an existential threat to our democracy.
We don’t know enough to make that claim yet. But there were a hell of a lot of coincidences. From the Meadows take to the Willard Hotel command center to Flynn calling for Marshall Law. :suspicious: :lol:

If you believe Peter Navarro’s interview on MSNBC the riot got in the way of a perfectly fine rendition of the “Green Bay Sweep”. :?

If this were a Democratic conspiracy you guys would be screaming from the roof tops and keeping your powder dry. :nod:
"The Guardian" :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:03 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:54 pm
True. The outcome was far milder than left-wing protests that blew up government buildings.
To be fair, this wasn't just a government building. It was the Capitol and it was when the election was being certified so in some ways it was a bigger deal than just a federal courthouse in Portland or elsewhere.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

If this were a Democratic conspiracy you and Baldy would be playing opposite roles.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:42 am
Baldy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:03 am
To be fair, this wasn't just a government building. It was the Capitol and it was when the election was being certified so in some ways it was a bigger deal than just a federal courthouse in Portland or elsewhere.
I'm referring to when left-wing domestic terrorists blew up the US Capital in 1971 and the Pentagon in 1972 (along with dozens of other bombings). Does anyone care to guess what ever happened to the masterminds of those treasonous crimes, and why we don't memorialize those events with candlelight vigils? :coffee:
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:43 am

If this were a Democratic conspiracy you and Baldy would be playing opposite roles.
If the roles were reversed, it would have been off of CNN's chyron by the second day and the media would have long since memory holed it by now.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:56 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:42 am

I'm referring to when left-wing domestic terrorists blew up the US Capital in 1971 and the Pentagon in 1972 (along with dozens of other bombings). Does anyone care to guess what ever happened to the masterminds of those treasonous crimes, and why we don't memorialize those events with candlelight vigils? :coffee:
My bad. Shouldn't have assumed you were talking about the AnTiFa riots.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:00 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:43 am
If the roles were reversed, it would have been off of CNN's chyron by the second day and the media would have long since memory holed it by now.
It would have made Kalm's role of making the riot out to be no big deal a lot easier.

Tucker and Fox News would have been calling it the greatest threat to the republic since Ft. Sumter.