Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:30 am
kalm wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:19 am

We have more than enough paint to complete Trump’s canvas. A true post-partisan doesn't rely on unrelated stories to determine right and wrong or the facts. :coffee: :coffee:
Here’s a newsflash: the CRT stories aren’t unrelated. Much like the instant protests against the leaked SC draft, it’s aaaaaalllll planned.
:lol:

By whom?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:50 pm
houndawg wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:23 pm

What is the difference cetween CRT and the way shit actually happened? As near as I can decipher they're the same thing but you people talk about them like they aren't. What's up with that?
They’re not the same, klam. And stop trying to pretend they are.
Last edited by houndawg on Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:27 pm
houndawg wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:11 pm

You keep saying that but you can't seem to put the difference into words - maybe because there is no difference?
Yes, I can, very simply. History is teaching what happened.

CRT is teaching current white kids that they get special treatment because they’re white and they should feel guilty about being white and they and their parents should allow the country to be destroyed from within so that minorities from 200 years ago can feel better.

:rofl: No shit?

Which textbook are they using? :?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Good article by a teacher about what is going on in their school.
I am a teacher at Grace Church High School in Manhattan. Ten years ago, I changed careers when I discovered how rewarding it is to help young people explore the truth and beauty of mathematics. I love my work.

As a teacher, my first obligation is to my students. But right now, my school is asking me to embrace “antiracism” training and pedagogy that I believe is deeply harmful to them and to any person who seeks to nurture the virtues of curiosity, empathy and understanding.

My school, like so many others, induces students via shame and sophistry to identify primarily with their race before their individual identities are fully formed. Students are pressured to conform their opinions to those broadly associated with their race and gender and to minimize or dismiss individual experiences that don’t match those assumptions. The morally compromised status of “oppressor” is assigned to one group of students based on their immutable characteristics. In the meantime, dependency, resentment and moral superiority are cultivated in students considered “oppressed.”

All of this is done in the name of “equity,” but it is the opposite of fair. In reality, all of this reinforces the worst impulses we have as human beings: our tendency toward tribalism and sectarianism that a truly liberal education is meant to transcend.

Recently, I raised questions about this ideology at a mandatory, whites-only student and faculty Zoom meeting. (Such racially segregated sessions are now commonplace at my school.) It was a bait-and-switch “self-care” seminar that labelled “objectivity,” “individualism,” “fear of open conflict,” and even “a right to comfort” as characteristics of white supremacy. I doubted that these human attributes — many of them virtues reframed as vices — should be racialized in this way. In the Zoom chat, I also questioned whether one must define oneself in terms of a racial identity at all. My goal was to model for students that they should feel safe to question ideological assertions if they felt moved to do so.

It seemed like my questions broke the ice. Students and even a few teachers offered a broad range of questions and observations. Many students said it was a more productive and substantive discussion than they expected.

However, when my questions were shared outside this forum, violating the school norm of confidentiality, I was informed by the head of the high school that my philosophical challenges had caused “harm” to students, given that these topics were “life and death matters, about people’s flesh and blood and bone.” I was reprimanded for “acting like an independent agent of a set of principles or ideas or beliefs.” And I was told that by doing so, I failed to serve the “greater good and the higher truth.”

He further informed me that I had created “dissonance for vulnerable and unformed thinkers” and “neurological disturbance in students’ beings and systems.” The school’s director of studies added that my remarks could even constitute harassment.

A few days later, the head of school ordered all high school advisors to read a public reprimand of my conduct out loud to every student in the school. It was a surreal experience, walking the halls alone and hearing the words emitting from each classroom: “Events from last week compel us to underscore some aspects of our mission and share some thoughts about our community,” the statement began. “At independent schools, with their history of predominantly white populations, racism colludes with other forms of bias (sexism, classism, ableism and so much more) to undermine our stated ideals, and we must work hard to undo this history.”
https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/i-refu ... udents?s=r
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Dan Rather is right. I mean, Republicans only know the "content of their character" quote from MLK and missed when he said "emphasis on getting the right answer in mathematics education is a form of white supremacy" and "people of color need separate dorms in colleges as a healing space".

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.