Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Good and Bad news from Exit Polling

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:05 pm

First of all, this time, a slight majority of White college graduates voted for Biden (51% to 48%).

Otherwise: I lament the fact that the exit polls never break down post grads by race. But my bet would be that a solid majority of White post grads tend to vote Democrat.

I actually think that Democrats win the a majority of both the highest IQ group and the lowest IQ group. I think that if you broke it up with the bottom 15% being the low IQ group, the middle 70% being the average IQ group, and the top 15% being the high IQ group the Democrats tend to win among the low IQ group and the high IQ group while Republicans tend to win among the average IQ group.

BTW I estimate that White post grads voted for Biden by 59% to 41%. That's based on the numbers from each race getting graduate degrees indicated at https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/pdf/coe_svc.pdf and noting that the exit polling indicates that about 70% of non Whites voted for Biden regardless of education level. So I just assumed the proportions of races voting among post grads this year are the proportions indicated by the linked table and 70% of non White post grads voted for Biden.

Notice that if you just look at Bachelor's degrees for this year's exit poll Biden't edge is only 51% to 47%. Go to graduate degrees and it jumps up to 62% to 37%. I think it's very reasonable to expect that Whites with graduate degrees went for Biden pretty strongly. My guess is that if you could break down the Whites with College Degrees category to Bachelors and Graduate degrees the Whites with Bachelors degrees probably voted majority Trump while those with Graduate degrees probably voted by a solid majority for Biden.

But we can never know for sure because the exit polls don't break things down to that level.
What did the exit polls say in 2916?
I think the results were very similar. Post grads were not quite as strong for Clinton as she won those by 58% to 37%. As you posted White college grads went for Trump by 48% to 45%. As is always the case there is no estimate for White post grads.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2016/results/exit-polls
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:17 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm

What did the exit polls say in 2916?
I think the results were very similar. Post grads were not quite as strong for Clinton as she won those by 58% to 37%. As you posted White college grads went for Trump by 48% to 45%. As is always the case there is no estimate for White post grads.

Something besides CNN or FOX would be more believable.
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach.

The higher the level of educational attainment, the longer the indoctrination period by those who cannot do, but instead teach.

Thus the more the left leaning bias of the more educated progressives who have more exposure to those who can’t do and must rely upon others. It takes a village.

Those who can do, are more self reliant and hence more conservative. They tend to get the education that they desire and then get to doing, not hanging around listening to those who can’t do, but rather pontificate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

LeadBolt wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:08 am Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach.

The higher the level of educational attainment, the longer the indoctrination period by those who cannot do, but instead teach.

Thus the more the left leaning bias of the more educated progressives who have more exposure to those who can’t do and must rely upon others. It takes a village.

Those who can do, are more self reliant and hence more conservative. They tend to get the education that they desire and then get to doing, not hanging around listening to those who can’t do, but rather pontificate.

"Those who can’t teach – administrate. Those who can’t administrate – go into politics."
- H. L. Mencken
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

LeadBolt wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:08 am Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach.

This one is on the pantheon of conservative mythology.

The most successful people I know, teach and spend time listening to other teachers and highly educated experts.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:36 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:17 pm

CNN is simply reporting the exit poll results that everybody uses. Look at the 2016 exit polling results you posted earlier and compare them to the results on that breakdown at the 2016 CNN page I linked. It's the same thing. CNN has the best format that I can find in terms of detail.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:10 pm

The most successful people I know, teach and spend time listening to other teachers and highly educated experts.
If you look at people who are responsible for most of the significant advances we have nowadays, I think you are going to be dealing mostly with people with graduate degrees. For example: The big thing now is a COVID-19 vaccine. There's a pretty good chance that the people doing that have graduate degrees.

I watched the Space Ex launch today. I think it's a pretty safe bet that a lot of people with graduate degrees were involved in that.

BTW: Everybody relies on others.
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:41 pm

If you look at people who are responsible for most of the significant advances we have nowadays, I think you are going to be dealing mostly with people with graduate degrees. For example: The big thing now is a COVID-19 vaccine. There's a pretty good chance that the people doing that have graduate degrees.

I watched the Space Ex launch today. I think it's a pretty safe bet that a lot of people with graduate degrees were involved in that.

That last sentence is some next level trolling right there.

:clap:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:30 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:36 pm

CNN is simply reporting the exit poll results that everybody uses. Look at the 2016 exit polling results you posted earlier and compare them to the results on that breakdown at the 2016 CNN page I linked. It's the same thing. CNN has the best format that I can find in terms of detail.
I'm not surprised CNN would come up with these results. I don't belive anything they say, same with FOX.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:41 pm

Good point. Can you break down the voting by type of graduate degree?

Compared to the overall pool of people with graduate degrees I would guess that:
- People with advanced degrees in engineering, law and business would be more conservative.
- People with advanced degrees in liberal arts would be more liberal.
- I'm not sure about people with advanced degrees in the sciences.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:30 am
89Hen wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:33 pm

He's right. It don't mean shit John. Some of the most stupid, arrogant, anti-social folks I've met are PhD's.

Maybe you just don't have a lot of them around you. Probably a quarter of my neighbors have advanced degrees. I'm surrounded by morons.
I agree with you and AZ to an extent here, but I’d rather be surrounded by educated morons than non-educated morons.
:suspicious: Not me. MANY of the guys with whom I associate barely got out of college with a degree including yours truly. All very successful guys and fun to be with. My next door neighbor is a PhD scientist, smart as shit. He has zero social skills.

You can have your book club. I'd rather hang with the hunters.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:26 am

I agree with you and AZ to an extent here, but I’d rather be surrounded by educated morons than non-educated morons.
:suspicious: Not me. MANY of the guys with whom I associate barely got out of college with a degree including yours truly. All very successful guys and fun to be with. My next door neighbor is a PhD scientist, smart as shit. He has zero social skills.

I hang with hunters who also like to read. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

There are some good people in book clubs. :) But I agree with your sentiment, we all know people who might not have a college degree but they bright, well informed and interesting people. I know a few people with post grad and doctorates who are a chore to listen to and be around. For all their education, they have no creativity and poor social skills. Having a degree doesn't automatically make you intelligent just like not having one makes you simple.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:40 am There are some good people in book clubs. :)
I'm sure there are Karen.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:45 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:40 am There are some good people in book clubs. :)
I'm sure there are, Karen.
FIFY
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:40 am

There are some good people in book clubs. :) But I agree with your sentiment, we all know people who might not have a college degree but they bright, well informed and interesting people. I know a few people with post grad and doctorates who are a chore to listen to and be around. For all their education, they have no creativity and poor social skills. Having a degree doesn't automatically make you intelligent just like not having one makes you simple.
The highly specialized are often smart/stupid.

That’s why I’ve avoided getting good at anything.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:48 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:40 am There are some good people in book clubs. :) But I agree with your sentiment, we all know people who might not have a college degree but they bright, well informed and interesting people. I know a few people with post grad and doctorates who are a chore to listen to and be around. For all their education, they have no creativity and poor social skills. Having a degree doesn't automatically make you intelligent just like not having one makes you simple.

That explains so much about your posting. :coffee:
Spoiler: show
:kisswink:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:46 am
kalm wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:48 am

Easy their.... :coffee:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:31 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:46 am

Easy their.... :coffee:
*there

My apologies. I had to give a presentation at 5am this morning and you may or may not have caught some of the flak from that. :ohno: :)
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:33 pm

He's right. It don't mean shit John. Some of the most stupid, arrogant, anti-social folks I've met are PhD's.

Maybe you just don't have a lot of them around you. Probably a quarter of my neighbors have advanced degrees. I'm surrounded by morons.
Not me, and not by a long shot. Educated morons are some of the absolute WORST at looking down their noses at anyone who doesn’t have an advanced degree, isn’t considered an SME in their field, etc., etc. I LOVE hanging with rednecks. Absolutely some of the funnest people on the planet to hang with and party with. Down to earth, grounded, and just 99% of the time good people.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:58 pm

Not me, and not by a long shot. Educated morons are some of the absolute WORST at looking down their noses at anyone who doesn’t have an advanced degree, isn’t considered an SME in their field, etc., etc. I LOVE hanging with rednecks. Absolutely some of the funnest people on the planet to hang with and party with. Down to earth, grounded, and just 99% of the time good people.
Hmm. Valid points and a potentially interesting CS debate.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

:rofl:

yeah...self-employed...school of hard knocks...what we need is a businessman to run this country like a business..
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

houndawg wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:06 pm

:rofl:

yeah...self-employed...school of hard knocks...what we need is a businessman to run this country like a business..
Maybe someday we'll find out (A real businessman, not someone who played one on TV).
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

More evidence that the Republican Party has become the Party of ignorance:

Exit polling was conducted in 24 States. In 21 of the States, Biden won among people with at least a bachelors degree. In 22 States, Biden won among people with advanced degrees.

Biden won among people with at least a bachelors degree in 6 of the 9 Exit polling states that Trump won. He won among people with advanced degrees in 7 of 9 of those States.

Again: The Republican Party has become the Party of stupid.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

White Evangelical Christianity is the American Taliban.
Could I ever be a star?