Political discussions
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Positives from Covid-19

Post by HI54UNI »

So what positives are you seeing from the Covid-19 virus?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: Positives from Covid-19

Post by HI54UNI »

Traffic is lighter on my commute.
Casual day every day.
All of our other staff is working from home. I'm the only one in the office. Radio is turned up. Toilet seat is always up in our unisex restroom.
I can ignore certain phone calls and let them go to voice mail because people think we're all working from home anyway.
My son got a $1/hr raise because of how crazy it has been at the grocery store where he works.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

The dog couldn't be happier. He goes for 4 or 5 walks a day and everyone is home all the time.

Working from home ain't bad.

That's all I got.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

The positive environmental effects and a potential shift to working at home becoming the new normal. Less new construction, less traffic, less energy use, less environmental degradation. I'd add the potential shift to food deliveries/walk-outs becoming the norm as a good thing as grocery stores/restaurants would require less square-footage to perform the same functions.

Also the possibility that we now see janitors, grocery clerks, package-runners, and other low-wage workers are vital to the economy and compensate them accordingly (but I doubt this one).
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Traffic for sure. Pre-COVID trips to UPenn took up to 2 hours with traffic. Now it's 1 hr 20 min like clockwork. COVID couldn't have come at a better time for me, as radiation treatment started last Thursday and runs daily for four weeks.

It's really weird seeing what looks to be about 20% of normal volume on I-95 in this part of the country.

I've also noticed that cops are still very present, but are not running radar or laser or pulling anyone over. It's fucking great. I slow down from 100 to 75 mph when I pass by just so I don't completely stick out.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

I don't have the discipline to work from home. About 10% of my office feels the same way. My entire department except me is at home. I'm crushing work due to the lack of random engineers wandering in to ask me to do something for them.
Traffic is non existent on Rte29.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:48 am The positive environmental effects and a potential shift to working at home becoming the new normal. Less new construction, less traffic, less energy use, less environmental degradation. I'd add the potential shift to food deliveries/walk-outs becoming the norm as a good thing as grocery stores/restaurants would require less square-footage to perform the same functions.

Also the possibility that we now see janitors, grocery clerks, package-runners, and other low-wage workers are vital to the economy and compensate them accordingly (but I doubt this one).
:nod:

The long term potential is for re-evaluation of what’s important and realignment of priorities. Less greed, greater sense of community, meaningful relationships, communing with nature.

/sappy, hopeful, Kumbaya rant
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:26 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:48 am The positive environmental effects and a potential shift to working at home becoming the new normal. Less new construction, less traffic, less energy use, less environmental degradation. I'd add the potential shift to food deliveries/walk-outs becoming the norm as a good thing as grocery stores/restaurants would require less square-footage to perform the same functions.

:nod:

The long term potential is for re-evaluation of what’s important and realignment of priorities. Less greed, greater sense of community, meaningful relationships, communing with nature.

/sappy, hopeful, Kumbaya rant
:thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Yup. Hopefully business owners realize that office space is not needed...of course that shift could result in a crunch for the business real estate sector, oh well.

Oh and CA has determined new home construction an "essential" need to plenty of projects still going on. I don't think that stops with the Chinese virus, but new construction will probably be hammered if the economy takes longer that expected to bounce back.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:48 am Also the possibility that we now see janitors, grocery clerks, package-runners, and other low-wage workers are vital to the economy and compensate them accordingly (but I doubt this one).
I would too. Unskilled = low pay.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:48 am Also the possibility that we now see janitors, grocery clerks, package-runners, and other low-wage workers are vital to the economy and compensate them accordingly (but I doubt this one).
I would too. Unskilled = low pay.
What does "compensate them accordingly" even mean? What's the right amount of money to fulfill that phrase and, more importantly, who's coughing up the cash to raise their pay to that level? There's a reason why Walmarts exist, and why self service checkouts are on the rise - consumers (and that includes the kalmie's and trip's of the world - and me as well) aren't purposely shelling out more money than they have to in order to buy goods or services. If I have a job around the house that needs a contractor, I might get some quotes, and then, assuming I'm satisfied they can do the job, I'm picking the lowest bid out of the good contractors. When I go clothes shopping, I purposely wait for a sale or a coupon or something else so that I don't need to pay full price. I don't hand over 20% more than the list price and tell the clerk I'm contributing to the pool of cash so that the stock boy in the back can make some more money. It's a great idea, but it's not rational that consumers will act that way.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Kinda like 9/11, we'll take this shit seriously in the future. New threat of a pandemic that has a double digit mortality rate or affects children? The world will respond en masse right away.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

When I was working FT from home I weighed around 170lbs. I ballooned to almost 200 lbs when I moved to the office FT. Since being home, I've gotten back into my WFH routine and am down 7 lbs. I get up more at home, walk around the neighborhood more, take the dog on more walks, watch what I eat and am getting more sleep since I don't have to commute.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:57 am When I was working FT from home I weighed around 170lbs. I ballooned to almost 200 lbs when I moved to the office FT. Since being home, I've gotten back into my WFH routine and am down 7 lbs. I get up more at home, walk around the neighborhood more, take the dog on more walks, watch what I eat and am getting more sleep since I don't have to commute.
I was at 200 when this started. I'll be curious to see where I'm at when it's over. I haven't had a beer in a month, partially to keep myself in top shape. And without eating out I have to cook 100% of our meals, which are generally pretty healthy.

I've also lost the near-daily headaches I used to have, strangely enough. So there's gotta be some sort of correlation with all these changes and my head feeling better.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

As for the good stuff, traffic is great, I've cut at least 10 minutes off my 50 minute drive each direction, so that's an extra 20 minutes per day. The wife is home so she's not driving (gas savings and EZ pass savings) and the kids not being able to play any sports means I'm saving a boat load of cash on not buying equipment and fees and so on.

And we got lucky and got 2 puppies back on March 9th, just before the schools shuttered on March 12th where I am. Ended up being the best time to get puppies, as now the whole family (except me, still working here) get to be home all day with the pups. Did the same as we had before, we got a Border Collie puppy and a Golden Retriever puppy, and these guys are 5 days apart in age. My first Border Collie I had named Gannon, so in keeping with a tradition of calling the Border Collie after former Blue Hen QB's I went with Scully with this puppy - Rick Scully was the QB of the Blue Hen team that lost to EKU in the 1982 I-AA title game and was the first QB I ever really remember watching growing up (I was 9 when he played). But like I said, a great time to have puppies and a great thing to come back home to after long days.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Silenoz wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:01 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:57 am When I was working FT from home I weighed around 170lbs. I ballooned to almost 200 lbs when I moved to the office FT. Since being home, I've gotten back into my WFH routine and am down 7 lbs. I get up more at home, walk around the neighborhood more, take the dog on more walks, watch what I eat and am getting more sleep since I don't have to commute.
I was at 200 when this started. I'll be curious to see where I'm at when it's over. I haven't had a beer in a month, partially to keep myself in top shape. And without eating out I have to cook 100% of our meals, which are generally pretty healthy.

I've also lost the near-daily headaches I used to have, strangely enough. So there's gotta be some sort of correlation with all these changes and my head feeling better.
I went full on keto back in January and in 8 weeks I lost 27 pounds - the goal was to hit 200 lbs and I did. Been eating like a normal person for the past two weeks, but now exercising every day, and I'm still losing weight - down to 197 lbs now. Gotta start eating more apparently, or cut out all this exercise!
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Appreciation for Front Line Employees
Appreciation for Teachers (Home-schooling your brats is no picnic)
Less Pollution.

With the shutdown in India, the company President that was trying to shift as much work to his brother's company back in Dehli is looking desperate now that we are understaffed in the US. Also, his plan of having the Billers sit in tiny cubes crammed next to each other to save money on rent is backfiring, as there is NO personal space between employees.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

I think our local breweries are getting more exposure, but the bars being closed might put them out of business. I've always purchased local beer, rarely do I buy national brands.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

imagine if 33% of rush hour traffic was eliminated
because it became evident a third of Americans didn't need to be in the office to be productive

and because of that discovery,
a percentage of kids could stay home on Tuesdays and Thursdays and simply "log in to class"
because a parent was home - because they didn't need to be in the office
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:17 am I think our local breweries are getting more exposure, but the bars being closed might put them out of business. I've always purchased local beer, rarely do I buy national brands.
Fuck you. :mrgreen:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Chizzang wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:20 am imagine if 33% of rush hour traffic was eliminated
because it became evident a third of Americans didn't need to be in the office to be productive

a percentage of kids could stay home on Tuesdays and Thursdays and simply "log in to class"
We are finding that while working from home is possible, it is far less efficient.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am
Chizzang wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:20 am imagine if 33% of rush hour traffic was eliminated

We are finding that while working from home is possible, it is far less efficient.
We just had a team meeting, and our group appears to be about the same from home as in the office. Probably more ready, as most have been working from home a few days a week prior to this year.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Agreed on every one of these....and don't be too sure about your prediction on the last one. There's gonna be some priorities shifted in the business world.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

There's going to be some wholesale changes in the way the country runs, no doubt about it. :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12