Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: GOP: The Pro-Life Party

Post by 89Hen »

mainejeff wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:42 pm
And he's back. I can't say I missed you, but welcome back extremist.
Thanks #FakeChristian. :thumb:
We already know you don't like children. Now we know you don't like the poor either.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:46 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:35 pm

So in a year when 61,000 people die from flu, they do so over 1,220 days?

Flu season is less than 6 months, but if you divided 61,000 by 182, that's 335 per day. Is my math wrong Gil?
Using the 140 for just this partial shutdown etc, we still get over 170,000 dead from COVID-19 during those same 182 days. Experts are estimating in the millions for deaths if this goes unchecked.
Not following. 140 x 182 = 25,480... a pretty low year for the flu. Maybe I'm not getting what you're trying to say.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:42 pm
mainejeff wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:00 pm
What a nasty fucking person you really are. :nod: The entire world except for us (because Donald J. Trump knows better :rofl: ) are doing what they have to.....to mitigate sickness, death and the breakdown of their healthcare systems due to this virus. Funny how you......the Anti-Abortion Queen.....seem to be picking and choosing who lives and who dies.....for the almighty $$$. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :thumbdown:

Go fuck yourself #FakeChristian. :nod: :nod: :nod: :thumb:
And he's back. I can't say I missed you, but welcome back extremist.
It's been interesting watching Geoffrey drift back to his original online persona. I kept wondering if there would be a point where he was all the way back and I agree - that was it.

Attaboy, it's good to see you back on track of getting things right! :clap: ;)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:40 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:36 pm

Will those working poor die from economic circumstances? Or are you more fearful of economic collapse causing more deaths than by taking suppression measures vs mitigation measures?
I didn't say anything about the poor dying, but sure, some will. Plenty of folks will die or be irreparably damaged by this without every contracting the virus.
That’s kind of my point. Suppression measures cause economic hardship and perhaps a few ancillary deaths but the greater and more direct risk is less action which is already leading to healthcare rationing and hard choices.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:36 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:40 pm
I didn't say anything about the poor dying, but sure, some will. Plenty of folks will die or be irreparably damaged by this without every contracting the virus.
That’s kind of my point. Suppression measures cause economic hardship and perhaps a few ancillary deaths but the greater and more direct risk is less action which is already leading to healthcare rationing and hard choices.
But you agree this is a valid discussion. NOBODY knows how many would die with fewer measures. NOBODY knows how many will die period. But it would seem if anyone dare debate this, they're castigated as a heartless person. I don't care about company profits (looking at you Jeff), but if millions of people will end up destitute to save a few thousand... isn't that a valid discussion to have?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:16 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Using the 140 for just this partial shutdown etc, we still get over 170,000 dead from COVID-19 during those same 182 days. Experts are estimating in the millions for deaths if this goes unchecked.
Not following. 140 x 182 = 25,480... a pretty low year for the flu. Maybe I'm not getting what you're trying to say.
Corona is nearly 3 times the death rate of the flu.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:46 pm

But you agree this is a valid discussion. NOBODY knows how many would die with fewer measures. NOBODY knows how many will die period. But it would seem if anyone dare debate this, they're castigated as a heartless person. I don't care about company profits (looking at you Jeff), but if millions of people will end up destitute to save a few thousand... isn't that a valid discussion to have?
The experts have an idea from looking at the stats in China, S Korea and Italy.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

89Hen wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:14 pm
mainejeff wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 pm

Thanks #FakeChristian. :thumb:
We already know you don't like children. Now we know you don't like the poor either.
You don't like anyone outside of the vagina.
Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

If we had done a nationwide 2 week quarantine we would be almost through that phase. Testing is another key element. After 1-2 weeks the Trumptards are already going off the rails....you sound like a flaming liberal with your "millions will end up in the poor house!" schtick. :roll: That's not what Wall Street said today. ;)
Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:50 pm
The experts have an idea from looking at the stats in China, S Korea and Italy.
The only "expert" in the minds of the mindless minions is Donald J. Trump. :nod: Seriously......they'd die for him. ;) :roll:
Go Black Bears!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Yes it’s a valid discussion.

But remember this started with you admitting you think it’s still like the flu. There are no numbers I’ve seen that support this whatsoever.

EG: the Flu or (other viruses) hasn’t compromised healthcare systems on an international level in our lifetimes right down to places in our country who are running out of ICU units.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

I wonder if these guys are willing to sacrifice their lives for the economy?

Go Black Bears!
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

mainejeff wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:02 pm I wonder if these guys are willing to sacrifice their lives for the economy?

Yes.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:50 pm
mainejeff wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:02 pm I wonder if these guys are willing to sacrifice their lives for the economy?

Yes.
Yes? Only if you change their to your.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

#DieForTheDow.
Go Black Bears!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:48 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:16 pm
That's not what you said. You said using 140 it was an astronomical number. Was that just a mistake?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:50 pm The experts have an idea from looking at the stats in China, S Korea and Italy.
So a third world country, a country with far less foreign travelers and a country with the oldest population in Europe.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:38 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:50 pm The experts have an idea from looking at the stats in China, S Korea and Italy.
So a third world country, a country with far less foreign travelers and a country with the oldest population in Europe.
Are you angling for a position on Trump's Coronavirus Task Force?
Go Black Bears!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

They are also getting good info from the stats in New York and California.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

mainejeff wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:42 am

Are you angling for a position on Trump's Coronavirus Task Force?
No he's just playing games.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:54 am

They are also getting good info from the stats in New York and California.
But those are LIBBBBSSSS!!!!!!
Go Black Bears!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:09 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:03 pm
Exactly.

I'm not for for one extreme- the country & economy virtually shut down for months, something we can't do for months, which is what Gil seems to be advocating.

Nor am I for the other extreme- do nothing.

I'm for taking a middle ground. This nationwide shutdown can only be for weeks. Then, if likely necessary, a few months a middle ground of physical distancing, bans on crowd sizes, etc. Elderly and those over 50 with pre existing conditions self isolating or quarantining to the greatest extent possible, until the outbreak dies off and/or proven therapeutics and/or a vaccine.
Now you are back-tracking and talking middle ground and trying to spin it, LMAO. I'm attacking the people that want to remove social distancing and let the virus take it's course and you are attacking me because I think we need more time.
People skipped over this, and maybe BDK was backtracking, but I think he's correct. When we come out of this shelter-in-place thing, and we may end up doing it somewhere near Trump's weird Easter target, it's not going to be business as usual. We're going to slowly walk back in that direction, but all of the social distancing, cleanings, and other preventative measures are still going to be in effect to some extent. Visitor's to businesses are still going to be restricted, there are still going to be time to disinfect offices and manufacturing plants built into regular work, and the same will be said for dining and restaurants and entertainment venues (likely to build in restricted access to avoid overcrowding). And not every place will be the same - NYC is a vastly different situation than is a suburb 45 minutes outside of New York than is a farm community 45 minutes away from the suburb - you can't treat them as if they are identical. Heck, I'm looking forward to going down the Jersey shore this July and have them institute some social distancing still at that time - will make for a far less crowded beach, although I'll have to get down there sooner to stake out my spot.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:48 pm

That's not what you said. You said using 140 it was an astronomical number. Was that just a mistake?
You skipped a post.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:53 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:09 pm

Now you are back-tracking and talking middle ground and trying to spin it, LMAO. I'm attacking the people that want to remove social distancing and let the virus take it's course and you are attacking me because I think we need more time.
People skipped over this, and maybe BDK was backtracking, but I think he's correct. When we come out of this shelter-in-place thing, and we may end up doing it somewhere near Trump's weird Easter target, it's not going to be business as usual. We're going to slowly walk back in that direction, but all of the social distancing, cleanings, and other preventative measures are still going to be in effect to some extent. Visitor's to businesses are still going to be restricted, there are still going to be time to disinfect offices and manufacturing plants built into regular work, and the same will be said for dining and restaurants and entertainment venues (likely to build in restricted access to avoid overcrowding). And not every place will be the same - NYC is a vastly different situation than is a suburb 45 minutes outside of New York than is a farm community 45 minutes away from the suburb - you can't treat them as if they are identical. Heck, I'm looking forward to going down the Jersey shore this July and have them institute some social distancing still at that time - will make for a far less crowded beach, although I'll have to get down there sooner to stake out my spot.
My main reason to respond in this thread was about what the Lt Governor of Texas, Patrick said. Sacrifice the grandparents for the children, just let this thing go. I have no problem with the gradual return to normalcy. 89Hen thinks its just like the flu, BDK and Pwns appeared to agree, let this thing go to restore the economy, sacrifice the old people. Then BDK came back with the gradual return to normalcy.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:05 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:53 am

My main reason to respond in this thread was about what the Lt Governor of Texas, Patrick said. Sacrifice the grandparents for the children, just let this thing go. I have no problem with the gradual return to normalcy. 89Hen thinks its just like the flu, BDK and Pwns appeared to agree, let this thing go to restore the economy, sacrifice the old people. Then BDK came back with the gradual return to normalcy.
Sure, but that's where the middle ground is found - you have folks like Trump and the Lt Gov say one thing, you have the Cuomo's of the world say something diametrically different, and the actual solution is somewhere in between. And that somewhere in between is already being worked out thousands of times over in all of the businesses (like mine for instance) that aren't shuttered right now but are operating with revised procedures to practically impose social distancing in an everyday setting. Heck, I'm typing this while on the phone in a video conference for a meeting that's taking place 50 ft away in a conference room just so I can make sure to not have too many people in the actual room and too close together. Middle ground is always reachable, sometimes you just need to do a little work to find it.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation