CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by CAA Flagship »

SDHornet wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:34 pm
CID1990 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:54 am So, my classmate from El Cid is a medical physicist. He designs MRIs and CAT scanners and does the math on making them work. We both started together as physics majors and then diverged when I switched to biology

So anyhoo, he’s a smart feller

He posted on FB about the importance of mask wearing etc, and within 30 minutes there were like 50 replies, challenging him on a bunch of immaterial bullshit about anything anyone could conjure up about it

This shit is so politically driven it is disgusting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meh. I blame the medical people claiming masks didn't help, who then later claimed they were essential.
The messaging for this pandemic has been an abomination from just about everyone involved; Trump, Pence, Cuomo, DeBlasio, Pelosi, Fauci, Birx, the WHO,.......and now DeSantis looks like an idiot for bragging about Florida a couple of months ago. :ohno: :ohno:

You only need common sense to reduce the spread. Washing hands, wearing masks, maintaining distance, etc. are not part of new "science". Those are practices that have been used for a long time.

Through yesterday, the 7-day running average for US deaths is still going down, though it is flattening.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

CAA Flagship wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 am

Meh. I blame the medical people claiming masks didn't help, who then later claimed they were essential.
You only need common sense to reduce the spread. Washing hands, wearing masks, maintaining distance, etc. are not part of new "science". Those are practices that have been used for a long time.
This. Been saying this from the start when I referenced my wife's chemo during the 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic. She was at risk, so we contained her and when I went out in the public, I maintained my distance from others, washed my hands, etc. Granted the situation is not entirely the same, as there was a vaccine that gave you a little protection, but the concept was the same.

I suppose what rubs me the wrong way are those that are at risk for COVID and feel it's everyone else's responsibility but theirs to take precaution.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:55 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 am

This. Been saying this from the start when I referenced my wife's chemo during the 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic. She was at risk, so we contained her and when I went out in the public, I maintained my distance from others, washed my hands, etc. Granted the situation is not entirely the same, as there was a vaccine that gave you a little protection, but the concept was the same.

I suppose what rubs me the wrong way are those that are at risk for COVID and feel it's everyone else's responsibility but theirs to take precaution.
By golly it’s almost as though you guys are stumbling on to something.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Birx on Masks Fox News Link

Fox News Link

"[T]here’s clear scientific evidence now by all the droplet experiments that happen and that others have done to show that a mask does prevent droplets from reaching others," Birx told "Fox News Sunday," recognizing that Americans will want to get out over the holiday weekend. "And out of respect for each other, as Americans that care for each other we need to be wearing masks in public when we cannot social distance. It’s really critically important, we have the scientific evidence of how important mask wearing is to prevent those droplets from reaching others.”

"We know that it’s important for people to socially interact, but we also know it’s important that we have to have masks on when we’re less than 6 feet and that we have to maintain that 6 feet distance," Birx said. "We know being outside does help, we know sun does help in killing the virus, but that doesn’t change the fact that people need to be responsible and maintain that distance."
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Well, the Delaware Beach Lemmings were out in force on Route 1 on Friday, even earlier in the day than usual (pre-2020). Mrs. Ivy and I will give Rehoboth an even wider berth than usual this year. At least during the summer.

Even before the virus hit, we have adopted a new tradition of spending a few days at the beach in March. Enough oceanfront hotels and restaurants are open to make the trip worthwhile, and the crowds of assholes aren’t there.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:So, my classmate from El Cid is a medical physicist. He designs MRIs and CAT scanners and does the math on making them work. We both started together as physics majors and then diverged when I switched to biology

He posted on FB about the importance of mask wearing etc, and within 30 minutes there were like 50 replies, challenging him on a bunch of immaterial bullshit about anything anyone could conjure up about it

Of course it is. We’ve all seen ordinary people with no medical Backgrounds or training spout off as if they’re experts. Sudddenly everyone is a civil rights/constitution/medical/military/ topic of the day expert.

We deserve what happens next. I’ve already told my wife to expect more violence. More outrage. And it won’t just be the left. It’ll come from the Right as well. They’re equally emotional and not beholden to facts or reasoning.

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:02 am From a political standpoint that’s just noise. Finger pointing is fun and I can politicize too, pointing to a number of indications on why the right is more dangerous when it comes to the spread of the disease and resulting lockdowns and economic harm. It’s a battle you would lose, and lose badly.

The virus doesn’t care about your politics. We either aggressively fight this enemy or we half ass it and suffer the consequences. Every state should have been in phase 1 restrictions through at least the 4th of July. If we had, the case numbers, ability to TTTQ, and thereby strains on the hospital systems would have been manageable. And yes, there were people saying this back in March.
Baloney- there were 8 states that never shut down, and haven’t had a major issue. Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, N Dakota, Oklahoma, S Dakota, Utah, Wyoming. You can’t make a blanket policy for the entire country.

They have been manageable.
8/50 that’s has maybe a few million people? Seems like a good state to hang your hat on.

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:54 am So, my classmate from El Cid is a medical physicist. He designs MRIs and CAT scanners and does the math on making them work. We both started together as physics majors and then diverged when I switched to biology

I think that's an excuse used by people who just don't want to wear a mask. There are a lot of excuses for not wearing a mask (such as governors allowing protests & riots with more than 10 people). People who don't want to wear a mask should stop being snowflakes making excuses, take personal responsibility and admit that they don't want to wear a mask. They also shouldn't whine if businesses don't want to let them in if they're not wearing a mask.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:40 am

I think that's an excuse used by people who just don't want to wear a mask. There are a lot of excuses for not wearing a mask (such as governors allowing protests & riots with more than 10 people). People who don't want to wear a mask should stop being snowflakes making excuses, take personal responsibility and admit that they don't want to wear a mask. They also shouldn't whine if businesses don't want to let them in if they're not wearing a mask.
There is an appealing libertarian argument to be made here. A shopkeeper can impose a mask-wearing requirement. If a customer chooses to do business with that shopkeeper, he must wear a mask. Otherwise, he’ll have to find someone else.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Some interesting numbers , at least to me. North Carolina and South Carolina have both been spiking in the number of cases of covid lately, but I think SC has been a bit more dramatic. The county I live in (Buncombe) has had mask requirements for roughly the last month, and NC has been more restrictive to opening up for business as usual. Really more than I like since I was hoping bars and gyms would be able to open with the same requirements as restaurants.

The two SC counties nearest to me are Greenville and Spartanburg, coincidentally home to Greenville and Spartanburg. Both are roughly an hour away from here. Buncombe County's population is 238,318 and at last count there are 534 active cases of covid. Spartanburg County's population is 284,307 with 1427 active cases of covid. Greenville County's population is 523,542 with 4538 active cases of covid. I don't know if SC is more efficient in testing people, and that may be the case. But there does seem to be a correlation to mask wearing and other restrictions and reduced incidence of the virus. Duh I guess. Whether it is worth the economic cost is a different argument of course.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Yesterday at a social distancing party I was speaking to a Republican who is voting for Biden this winter (voted Trump in 2016).

He said something that really struck me (non-verbatim):

"Can you imagine if Trump told people to wear a mask and social distance? He'd likely have gone down as one of the greatest Presidents in history, saving tens or hundreds of thousands of Americans and successfully steering the economy through a pandemic. And now he's going to lose in a landslide and go down as one of the worst in history, if not the worst. Some cloth and 6 feet lay between greatness and mediocrity."

As much as Trump completely sucked the last four years, my friend's right. In an alternate history where the US successfully navigates the pandemic, Trump is remembered as a great leader and goes on to win a 2nd term. Naturally though - and unsurprisingly - the man can't get out of his own way.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:30 pm Yesterday at a social distancing party I was speaking to a Republican who is voting for Biden this winter (voted Trump in 2016).

"Can you imagine if Trump told people to wear a mask and social distance? He'd likely have gone down as one of the greatest Presidents in history, saving tens or hundreds of thousands of Americans and successfully steering the economy through a pandemic. And now he's going to lose in a landslide and go down as one of the worst in history, if not the worst. Some cloth and 6 feet lay between greatness and mediocrity."

As much as Trump completely sucked in the last four years, my friend's right. It's scary to think, but in an alternate history where the US successfully navigates the virus, Trump is remembered as a great leader and goes on to win a 2nd term. Naturally, he couldn't get out of his own way.
Hey, I detest Trump as much as the next guy. But I seem to recall that 2016 was going to be a blow out as well. I wouldn't count on anything at this point.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I'm hesitant to count on it as well, and I'm fully prepared for a second term, but I'm beginning to think that as long as Biden stays low...Trump will continue to dig his own grave.

Even before the virus, natural attrition killed off more than enough people in states he won by razor thin margins.

And now with record unemployment and a virus where the US is the only developed country failing to contain it, I'm simply failing to see a path where he wins.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Even before the virus, natural attrition killed off more than enough people in states he won by razor thin margins.

Are you channeling your inner JSO?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:30 pm Yesterday at a social distancing party I was speaking to a Republican who is voting for Biden this winter (voted Trump in 2016).

As much as Trump completely sucked the last four years, my friend's right. In an alternate history where the US successfully navigates the pandemic, Trump is remembered as a great leader and goes on to win a 2nd term. Naturally though - and unsurprisingly - the man can't get out of his own way.
He's not competent. He took over when things were going well. I shake my head every time he says he took over a mess and saved the day because nothing could be further from the truth. The situation he took over was the best situation any President has taken over when he started office in my lifetime. Now he's having to deal with some stuff and, shocker, he's not up to the task.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:46 pm I'm hesitant to count on it as well, and I'm fully prepared for a second term, but I'm beginning to think that as long as Biden stays low...Trump will continue to dig his own grave.

And now with record unemployment and a virus where the US is the only developed country failing to contain it, I'm simply failing to see a path where he wins.
Funny how we were doing just fine until the riots. Funny how that works. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:08 pm

He's not competent. He took over when things were going well. I shake my head every time he says he took over a mess and saved the day because nothing could be further from the truth. The situation he took over was the best situation any President has taken over when he started office in my lifetime. Now he's having to deal with some stuff and, shocker, he's not up to the task.
Yeah, those halcyon days of Barack Hussein Obama. :rofl:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:Yesterday at a social distancing party I was speaking to a Republican who is voting for Biden this winter (voted Trump in 2016).

It’s because Trump fights. Literally. All the time.

Everything is adversarial to him, so he meets every problem with either minimization, denial, or belligerence.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:06 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:46 pm I'm hesitant to count on it as well, and I'm fully prepared for a second term, but I'm beginning to think that as long as Biden stays low...Trump will continue to dig his own grave.

Funny how we were doing just fine until the riots. Funny how that works. :coffee:
Protests didn’t help.

Transmission to symptoms to hospitalizations is around 3-5 week process.

Tell us how again how we were doing fine.

:coffee:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

CID1990 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:28 pmIt’s because Trump fights. Literally. All the time.

Everything is adversarial to him, so he meets every problem with either minimization, denial, or belligerence.
Agreed, and it's really unfortunate 'cause in this case it truly means the difference between life and death. The pandemic could've (should've) been an event which united the nation and instead, he squanders the perfect opportunity.

"I encourage all Americans to wear a mask and stay 6 feet apart until we contain the virus."

That's all he had to say. Lives saved, economy saved, and Trump writes his place in history.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:10 pm
CID1990 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:28 pmIt’s because Trump fights. Literally. All the time.

Agreed, and it's really unfortunate 'cause in this case it truly means the difference between life and death. The pandemic could've (should've) been an event which united the nation and instead, he squanders the perfect opportunity.

"I encourage all Americans to wear a mask and stay 6 feet apart until we contain the virus."

That's all he had to say. Lives saved, economy saved, and Trump writes his place in history.
But but but the IFR is like .000000001%!!!

(It’s actually now around 5)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

:rofl:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Trump would not have gotten credit for anything so why do it.

We are still voting for him and he will crush Biden that why the left wing media is lying about the polls just like they did last time. The best part about this win is the black vote will win it for him and this time it wont be 8% it will be 25-30+%

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:46 pm Trump would not have gotten credit for anything so why do it.

We are still voting for him and he will crush Biden that why the left wing media is lying about the polls just like they did last time. The best part about this win is the black vote will win it for him and this time it wont be 8% it will be 25-30+%
Wouldn't surprise me a bit. I just plan to vote early and try to ignore things until the Wednesday after the election.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ivytalk wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:49 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Are you channeling your inner JSO?
Shhhh Ivy, Trip is on a roll...

It's like he doesn't take into account that the virus kills blacks and Latinos at a higher rate than the lily white Trump supporters.