JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW on the age thing:

Yes, COVID-19 is way worse for the elderly. If you assume the deaths distribution among age groups among the provisional CDC data is the same as the deaths distribution for all deaths you would say that only about 20.5% were people <65. However, 20.5% of the current case count is 14,000 people.

I have been frustrated in trying to find actual case COUNTS for seasonal influenza. But according to the article at https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... o-oranges/:
In the last six flu seasons, the CDC’s reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths—that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus—has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620...
Of course, as is the case with COVID-19, a lot of the people in those counts were over 65 and over. And, of course, this thing with COVID-19 is a long way from over.

Bottom line: Yes, this is impacting people >65 way worse than it's impacting people <65. But it is also impacting people <65 way worse than the seasonal flu does. WAY worse.

It really is time to drop the "this is like the seasonal flu" crap.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:50 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:44 pm Proof that conk governors have handled the Chinese Virus better than donk govs:

https://spectator.org/coronavirus-death ... ve-factor/
That seems like a pretty superficial summary. To be intellectually honest you would need to consider a host of other factors such as population density. Large cities are more likely to be in states with Donk governors and that will skew the results.
:nod:

Nebraska continues to increase.

Red counties in WA state are on fire.

Churches, beaches, playgrounds, and food production plants ...have the potential to be the incubators. Give these Petrie dishes 2-3 weeks and then see the results. Hopefully BDK is right.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Whoops. :lol:

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

IHME gonna IHME. :lol: :dunce:

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:00 pm BTW on the age thing:

Yes, COVID-19 is way worse for the elderly. If you assume the deaths distribution among age groups among the provisional CDC data is the same as the deaths distribution for all deaths you would say that only about 20.5% were people <65. However, 20.5% of the current case count is 14,000 people.

I have been frustrated in trying to find actual case COUNTS for seasonal influenza. But according to the article at https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... o-oranges/:
In the last six flu seasons, the CDC’s reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths—that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus—has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620...
Of course, as is the case with COVID-19, a lot of the people in those counts were over 65 and over. And, of course, this thing with COVID-19 is a long way from over.

Bottom line: Yes, this is impacting people >65 way worse than it's impacting people <65. But it is also impacting people <65 way worse than the seasonal flu does. WAY worse.

Counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the Chinese Virus is an apples to oranges comparison:
-CDC Chinese Virus death counts include both confirmed AND probable deaths (remember the death count revision they did in April where the death count shot way up in one day?).
-CDC seasonal flu death counts has to use estimates because doctors don't test for the seasonal flu in most cases where it's suspected for a whole litany of reasons:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/wh ... imates.htm
Since 2010 the CDC has estimated between 12,000 and 79,000 flu deaths each flu season (last 2 seasons 79k and 61k).
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/fl ... 8-2019.htm

May 1 the CDC had coded 37,308 Chinese Virus deaths through 4/25. About 80% were over 65, and about 92% were over 55.
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-C ... /9bhg-hcku

So bottom line based on those CDC seasonal flu estimates, esp from the last 2 seasons, and the current CDC Chinese virus coded deaths data, the Chinese Virus doesn't appear to be impacting people <65 any worse than the seasonal flu does. Certainly not "WAY worse." as you claim.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Silenoz wrote:
phpBB [video]

Who knew the Chinese government had a sense of humor
The Chinese employ some clever propagandists - many are Westerners

Because those Westerners know how to appeal to you

So you’ll share fucking Chinese propaganda

Congrats, you’re a drone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:50 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:00 pm BTW on the age thing:

Counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the Chinese Virus is an apples to oranges comparison:
-CDC Chinese Virus death counts include both confirmed AND probable deaths (remember the death count revision they did in April where the death count shot way up in one day?).
-CDC seasonal flu death counts has to use estimates because doctors don't test for the seasonal flu in most cases where it's suspected for a whole litany of reasons:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/wh ... imates.htm
Since 2010 the CDC has estimated between 12,000 and 79,000 flu deaths each flu season (last 2 seasons 79k and 61k).
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/fl ... 8-2019.htm

May 1 the CDC had coded 37,308 Chinese Virus deaths through 4/25. About 80% were over 65, and about 92% were over 55.
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-C ... /9bhg-hcku

So bottom line based on those CDC seasonal flu estimates, esp from the last 2 seasons, and the current CDC Chinese virus coded deaths data, the Chinese Virus doesn't appear to be impacting people <65 any worse than the seasonal flu does. Certainly not "WAY worse." as you claim.
Yeah...you see the flu infect over half the residents of a nursing home plus 42 staff members, all taking precautions, and kill 51 of them....all the time.

This is so not the flu.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Sweet Jeebus. The ineptitude and politics are mind boggling.

:shock:
How Kushner’s Volunteer Force Led a Fumbling Hunt for Medical Supplies

Roughly a dozen young, inexperienced workers were assembled to sort through tips on masks, gloves and other equipment. Warehouses were running bare, and doctors fighting the coronavirus were forced to make their own protective gear.

By Nicholas Confessore, Andrew Jacobs, Jodi Kantor, Zolan Kanno-Youngs and Luis Ferré-Sadurní
May 5, 2020

This spring, as the United States faced a critical shortage of masks, gloves and other protective equipment to battle the coronavirus pandemic, a South Carolina physician reached out to the Federal Emergency Management Agency with an offer of help.
Dr. Jeffrey Hendricks had longtime manufacturing contacts in China and a line on millions of masks from established suppliers. Instead of encountering seasoned FEMA procurement officials, his information was diverted to a team of roughly a dozen young volunteers, recruited by the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and overseen by a former assistant to Mr. Kushner’s wife, Ivanka Trump.

The volunteers, foot soldiers in the Trump administration’s new supply-chain task force, had little to no experience with government procurement procedures or medical equipment. But as part of Mr. Kushner’s governmentwide push to secure protective gear for the nation’s doctors and nurses, the volunteers were put in charge of sifting through more than a thousand incoming leads, and told to pass only the best ones on for further review by FEMA officials.

As the federal government’s warehouses were running bare and medical workers improvised their own safety gear, Dr. Hendricks found his offer stalled. Many of the volunteers were told to prioritize tips from political allies and associates of President Trump, tracked on a spreadsheet called “V.I.P. Update,” according to documents and emails obtained by The New York Times. Among them were leads from Republican members of Congress, the Trump youth activist Charlie Kirk and a former “Apprentice” contestant who serves as the campaign chair of Women for Trump
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/us/j ... virus.html
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:05 am Sweet Jeebus. The ineptitude and politics are mind boggling.

How Kushner’s Volunteer Force Led a Fumbling Hunt for Medical Supplies

Roughly a dozen young, inexperienced workers were assembled to sort through tips on masks, gloves and other equipment. Warehouses were running bare, and doctors fighting the coronavirus were forced to make their own protective gear.

By Nicholas Confessore, Andrew Jacobs, Jodi Kantor, Zolan Kanno-Youngs and Luis Ferré-Sadurní
May 5, 2020

This spring, as the United States faced a critical shortage of masks, gloves and other protective equipment to battle the coronavirus pandemic, a South Carolina physician reached out to the Federal Emergency Management Agency with an offer of help.
Dr. Jeffrey Hendricks had longtime manufacturing contacts in China and a line on millions of masks from established suppliers. Instead of encountering seasoned FEMA procurement officials, his information was diverted to a team of roughly a dozen young volunteers, recruited by the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and overseen by a former assistant to Mr. Kushner’s wife, Ivanka Trump.

The volunteers, foot soldiers in the Trump administration’s new supply-chain task force, had little to no experience with government procurement procedures or medical equipment. But as part of Mr. Kushner’s governmentwide push to secure protective gear for the nation’s doctors and nurses, the volunteers were put in charge of sifting through more than a thousand incoming leads, and told to pass only the best ones on for further review by FEMA officials.

As the federal government’s warehouses were running bare and medical workers improvised their own safety gear, Dr. Hendricks found his offer stalled. Many of the volunteers were told to prioritize tips from political allies and associates of President Trump, tracked on a spreadsheet called “V.I.P. Update,” according to documents and emails obtained by The New York Times. Among them were leads from Republican members of Congress, the Trump youth activist Charlie Kirk and a former “Apprentice” contestant who serves as the campaign chair of Women for Trump
Jared Kushner could fvck up a two-car funeral.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:13 am
kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:05 am Sweet Jeebus. The ineptitude and politics are mind boggling.

I know a guy in Lower Slower Delaware who should be captaining that ship.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:26 am
Ivytalk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:13 am

I know a guy in Lower Slower Delaware who should be captaining that ship.
93procurementfan would nail it! :thumb:

* Slower Lower
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

I giggled

"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

I hear that Russian doctors are now falling out of windows after they spoke candidly about COVID-19.

HUMMMMMM.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

There are no problems, only solutions...and quality leadership.
Slavitt @ 🏡
@ASlavitt

13 hours ago, 20 tweets, 4 min read

COVID Update May 5: It’s time to put on our big boy pants and turn testing into a real industry so that every American who wants a COVID test can get one.

But instead of taking that on, the White House task force is abandoning ship. 1/
This is a time for American leadership to move from hundreds of thousands of tests/day— which traps us in a stagnant economy w high death tolls. And millions/day which would allow us to get back closer to normal, including having public events.2/
Testing in America was built as a bespoke industry— like the tailor that makes & measures suits.

After all, you get their cholesterol tested once/year, you don’t need it the same day & you value precision & safety. 3/
Testing needs to be turned into a scale industry that can safely process millions tests/day. This will mean open sourcing, barcoding, logistics, R&D investment and ubiquitous points of service. It also means challenging incumbents & breaking up control
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1257 ... 63329.html
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

CID1990 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:51 am
Silenoz wrote:
phpBB [video]

Who knew the Chinese government had a sense of humor
The Chinese employ some clever propagandists - many are Westerners

Because those Westerners know how to appeal to you

So you’ll share fucking Chinese propaganda

Congrats, you’re a drone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gave us something to laugh at, but okay
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

grizzaholic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 am I giggled

:lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:56 am There are no problems, only solutions...and quality leadership.
Slavitt @ 🏡
@ASlavitt

13 hours ago, 20 tweets, 4 min read

COVID Update May 5: It’s time to put on our big boy pants and turn testing into a real industry so that every American who wants a COVID test can get one.

But instead of taking that on, the White House task force is abandoning ship. 1/
This is a time for American leadership to move from hundreds of thousands of tests/day— which traps us in a stagnant economy w high death tolls. And millions/day which would allow us to get back closer to normal, including having public events.2/
Testing in America was built as a bespoke industry— like the tailor that makes & measures suits.

After all, you get their cholesterol tested once/year, you don’t need it the same day & you value precision & safety. 3/
Testing needs to be turned into a scale industry that can safely process millions tests/day. This will mean open sourcing, barcoding, logistics, R&D investment and ubiquitous points of service. It also means challenging incumbents & breaking up control
So now the narrative/goal posts move to "open up after testing is widely available"? :? :lol:

Testing does nothing, and changes nothing. Only treatments/vaccine can change our current situation. It's long past time to open back up. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:17 am
kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:56 am There are no problems, only solutions...and quality leadership.

So now the narrative/goal posts move to "open up after testing is widely available"? :? :lol:

Testing does nothing, and changes nothing. Only treatments/vaccine can change our current situation. It's long past time to open back up. :coffee:
Yeah ok.

:?

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:34 am
SDHornet wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:17 am

Yeah ok.

Aside from telling us who has/had the Chinese Flu (ignoring false positives and all that), how does testing change the current situation?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:39 am
kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:34 am

Yeah ok.

Aside from telling us who has/had the Chinese Flu (ignoring false positives and all that), how does testing change the current situation?
Small business requiring skilled labor. One case threatens the entire workforce. Symptoms occur which may or may not be Covid. Negative test gets the skilled employee back to work quicker. “Phew”. Positive test allows the remaining employees to at the worst quarantine and avoid further exposure or return immediately if they are tested. As a result they too get back to work sooner and without causing an outbreak which permanently closes the business.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:44 am
SDHornet wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:39 am

Small business requiring skilled labor. One case threatens the entire workforce. Symptoms occur which may or may not be Covid. Negative test gets the skilled employee back to work quicker. “Phew”. Positive test allows the remaining employees to at the worst quarantine and avoid further exposure or return immediately if they are tested. As a result they too get back to work sooner and without causing an outbreak which permanently closes the business.
Ok, so your workforce will have to be tested weekly, monthly to keep this theory from breaking down in the real world? One employee with one missed test (or false negative) and the whole idea goes out the window. And that small business is supposed to pay for these tests?

Oh and good luck getting a union to go with this if you're dealing with organized labor.

EDIT: Also where does HIPPA stand with all of this? I know workplaces require certain vaccinations, but testing is not a vaccination so what legal standing does a company have for demanding medical information from employees?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:44 pm Proof that conk governors have handled the Chinese Virus better than donk govs:

https://spectator.org/coronavirus-death ... ve-factor/
That seems like a pretty superficial summary. To be intellectually honest you would need to consider a host of other factors such as population density. Large cities are more likely to be in states with Donk governors and that will skew the results.
Also it's right leaning media. I'm not really surprised a right wing news site has an article saying red states are better than blue states.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:59 am
Also it's right leaning media. I'm not really surprised a right wing news site has an article saying red states are better than blue states.
I wonder how their narrative will change if there's a surge in outbreaks in red states that opened up earlier.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:25 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:59 am

I wonder how their narrative will change if there's a surge in outbreaks in red states that opened up earlier.
"Blue Staters Bring Death and Disease to Red States"
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Coronavirus

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:29 am FWIW, I get traffic update texts on my phone. There have been far fewer texts total. BUT the DC beltway has been completely closed in one direction MANY more times in the last month. It's a rare accident that completely closes the beltway. It happened TWICE yesterday just a couple miles from my house. They were trucks yesterday, but it's been a slew of high speed crashes.
Beltway closed again near me.