Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Coronavirus

Post by kalm »

For you golfers...here’s what our at least temporary rules for reopening look like.

https://wagolf.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... _Final.pdf
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:35 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:33 am
It's ambidextrousual.
We'll shit!
You better have some plastic sheets! :o
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:51 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Is this better ...

Yes honey, I'll pick up a loaf of bread.
Oops I meant to say cut taxes and not spending and still print more money. :clap:
A couple of questions ...
- As BDK asked, you want to raise taxes during a recession?
- Are you suggesting the government raise & collect taxes mid year?
- Define high end taxes? How low of an income will you have to raise taxes on in order to save individuals and businesses?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

89Hen wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:35 pm We won't be able to afford regular sized wheelbarrows and will be force to use wheelbarrows... for ants?
It has to be at least...... THREE times bigger!
Exponentially bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:22 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:51 pm

Oops I meant to say cut taxes and not spending and still print more money. :clap:
- Define high end taxes? How low of an income will you have to raise taxes on in order to save individuals and businesses?
The income tax first came about as a result of the crisis of the civil war. It was eliminated but dramatically raised again during both World Wars as well as the Great Depression. These taxes were all progressive in nature. Consider them a cost of remaining solvent or the price of having obtained significant riches leading up to crisis periods. What we do in between crisis periods from a tax and spending standpoint is the forever problem.

The definition of high end taxes depends on the magnitude of the crisis. It’s eerily similar to the question of what’s the tolerance of lives loss while trying to hold on to everyone’s preconceived standard of living.

We’re still in the discover phase of knowing both the economic and health magnitudes of this one.

(Editorializing admitted)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:51 pm

The income tax first came about as a result of the crisis of the civil war. It was eliminated but dramatically raised again during both World Wars as well as the Great Depression. These taxes were all progressive in nature. Consider them a cost of remaining solvent or the price of having obtained significant riches leading up to crisis periods. What we do in between crisis periods from a tax and spending standpoint is the forever problem.

The definition of high end taxes depends on the magnitude of the crisis. It’s eerily similar to the question of what’s the tolerance of lives loss while trying to hold on to everyone’s preconceived standard of living.

We’re still in the discover phase of knowing both the economic and health magnitudes of this one.

No, we know the health magnitudes of this one, and they aren't anywhere near as bad as the "experts" thought it would be.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:51 pm

No, we know the health magnitudes of this one, and they aren't anywhere near as bad as the "experts" thought it would be.
I’m sorry but that’s just patently false on several levels.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:52 pm
SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:51 pm

The data disagrees with your statement. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

You can't make this up. How anyone thinks the WHO has any credibility left is beyond me.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

You didn't answer the first two questions and danced around the third without really answering it either. And the "question of what’s the tolerance of lives lost while trying to hold on to everyone’s preconceived standard of living" is a canard that shows that anyone that asks it is not seeing the big picture. The restrictions themselves are costing lives, not as many lives as the virus at this time but the number of lives lost due to the restrictions will increase the longer they're in place. They will increase (maybe even exponentially) and eventually, the lives lost due to the restrictions will exceed the lives saved from the virus. I've given a bunch of examples of why lives will be lost (depression, addiction, etc.) but I haven't mentioned health conditions that have gone untreated due to COVID-19.

The federal government can only print and give out so much "stimulus" money and it won't be enough to keep individuals, companies, and local and state governments afloat if this goes into the fall. The more individuals, companies, and local and state governments that face financial problems, the more people that will suffer and die. The restrictions need to be a short-term solution to give us the time to put the supplies and infrastructure in place to survive the virus.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:19 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:52 pm

The data disagrees with your statement. :coffee:
Oh really? Thank god!

:rofl:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:59 pm For you golfers...here’s what our at least temporary rules for reopening look like.

Remove ball washers? Why not just put a bag over it like a broken parking meter?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:24 pm

You didn't answer the first two questions and danced around the third without really answering it either. And the "question of what’s the tolerance of lives lost while trying to hold on to everyone’s preconceived standard of living" is a canard that shows that anyone that asks it is not seeing the big picture. The restrictions themselves are costing lives, not as many lives as the virus at this time but the number of lives lost due to the restrictions will increase the longer they're in place. They will increase (maybe even exponentially) and eventually, the lives lost due to the restrictions will exceed the lives saved from the virus. I've given a bunch of examples of why lives will be lost (depression, addiction, etc.) but I haven't mentioned health conditions that have gone untreated due to COVID-19.

The federal government can only print and give out so much "stimulus" money and it won't be enough to keep individuals, companies, and local and state governments afloat if this goes into the fall. The more individuals, companies, and local and state governments that face financial problems, the more people that will suffer and die. The restrictions need to be a short-term solution to give us the time to put the supplies and infrastructure in place to survive the virus.
1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3). Partially agree. Of course economic factors and neglect of other healthcare will cost additional lives. They already have. Perhaps in the long run, more than the virus itself but that will be a challenging statement to prove.

They were costing lives before the virus too. Some of the virus deaths will also be partially due to pushing people with these underlying (economically) induced conditions over the top. Sound familiar?

This is the nature of an existential crisis. None of it will mean total Armageddon and I agree it’s a balance issue.

And we’re already lifting some restrictions even in WA state which will help the economy. We’ve mostly survived the first leg nationally before it got out out of control. We’ve bought some time to face new waves if/when they occur, armored with greater preparation and medical readiness. The economy will take much longer to recover but it will. It may never be the same again, but everything changes. Sometimes faster than others.

See? I’m not a pessimist. Just realistically keeping open to all the contingencies. :)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:25 pm You can't make this up. How anyone thinks the WHO has any credibility left is beyond me.
I would assume all those folks that helped put a fundraiser together for the WHO last week do. Maybe they thought it was for Roger and Pete.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

And in some REALLY positive news....
David D. Kirkpatrick
By David D. Kirkpatrick
April 27, 2020

In the worldwide race for a vaccine to stop the coronavirus, the laboratory sprinting fastest is at Oxford University.
Most other teams have had to start with small clinical trials of a few hundred participants to demonstrate safety. But scientists at the university’s Jenner Institute had a head start on a vaccine, having proved in previous trials that similar inoculations — including one last year against an earlier coronavirus — were harmless to humans.
That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe, but also that it works.
The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/worl ... e=Homepage

I’ve also seen word of a Montucky meth lab in Hamilton having success with another vaccine with a 100% non-infection rate in monkeys that’s on the verge of moving to human trials.

I’ll try to find the story on that one too.

I might sometimes sound fatalistic about this but stay with me, baby birds...I’ll feed ya the good stuff too. :mrgreen:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:59 pm For you golfers...here’s what our at least temporary rules for reopening look like.

If you're in charge kalm, I beg of you to do the pool noodles in the cup instead of raising the cups. Raised cups is the worst thing in the world. A skulled chip that clanks off the cup should not be considered in. Neither should a putt on a side hill that grazes the low side cup.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:00 am

If you're in charge kalm, I beg of you to do the pool noodles in the cup instead of raising the cups. Raised cups is the worst thing in the world. A skulled chip that clanks off the cup should not be considered in. Neither should a putt on a side hill that grazes the low side cup.

We’re doing something similar to that.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:02 am We’re doing something similar to that.
:thumb: Can you please call my club when we reopen?
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2

Post by Aho Old Guy »

"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2

Post by Aho Old Guy »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:38 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:35 pm We won't be able to afford regular sized wheelbarrows and will be force to use wheelbarrows... for ants?
Is this better ...

In the USA we are more likely to see deflation, forfeiture, consolidation, liquidation, bankruptcy and privatization -- call it Vulture Venture Cash & Looting (of the public and private sectors). "Thirty-Cent on the Dollar" -- Big asset appreciation will be in the sh itter. Everything will be upside-down.

The Irony: Blame China? HA! Not only is China 2X worse than the USA in their junk debt, their long-term population demographics is 2X worse, too.

Over the next 20-25 years America can work through it. China will take 50+ years to work through their 'bubble'
The federal government can only print and give out so much "stimulus" money ... .
Wanna bet? $10,000.00 bet? :lol:

America is a yugggge cash machine, and we are in the process of being grift-ed. Thanks, Cons!

Look at the USA as an actual business operation with a balance sheet. Assets of $300 and debt of $100; with a net worth of $60-70.

That's America
(just put a "T" after those numbers)

:thumb:
- John Galt
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Aho Old Guy wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:38 pm Is this better ...

In the USA we are more likely to see deflation, forfeiture, consolidation, liquidation, bankruptcy and privatization -- call it Vulture Venture Cash & Looting (of the public and private sectors). "Thirty-Cent on the Dollar" -- Big asset appreciation will be in the sh itter. Everything will be upside-down.

The Irony: Blame China? HA! Not only is China 2X worse than the USA in their junk debt, their long-term population demographics is 2X worse, too.

Over the next 20-25 years America can work through it. China will take 50+ years to work through their 'bubble'
The federal government can only print and give out so much "stimulus" money ... .
Wanna bet? $10,000.00 bet? :lol:

America is a yugggge cash machine, and we are in the process of being grift-ed. Thanks, Cons!

Look at the USA as an actual business operation with a balance sheet. Assets of $300 and debt of $100; with a net worth of $60-70.

That's America
(just put a "T" after those numbers)

:thumb:
Gosh where have we heard this before?

China! No big deal!

The 1980s called again!

You are as much a fool as Trump

Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2

Post by Aho Old Guy »

You got nuthin', Cid.
- John Galt
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Coronavirus

Post by CID1990 »

Aho Old Guy wrote:You got nuthin', Cid.
I’ve got more than some armchair backwoods codger with a MoveOn subscription and shit math skills that’s for sure

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

The "health magnitude" is getting pretty well known....and it's a big fat pfffffft.

The "economic magnitude" is purely self induced because the government saw an opportunity to promote the fear porn being pumped out.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12