Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Racism is Alive and Well in GA

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:
I love saying that to people and watching them stutter and stammer, particularly when people bitch to me as a school board member about some incredibly stupid school complaint. A couple favorites include the guy calling me complaining about which gym his kid played a BB game in and another was a guy complaining as a taxpayer that we installed air conditioning in the elementary school yet his kids attend the air conditioned Catholic school.
You won't get any sympathy from me as a school board member because I spent about 10 years fighiting a school board to keep my deaf son in his home school with his sister when the State law clearly said that unless the IEP requires otherwise a disabled person is to attend the school they'd attend if not disabled. All kinds of intellectual dishonesty from the school board when the bottom line is that they were trying to save money. The School Board I dealt with were a bunch of dishonest SOBs and DOBs.

Fortunately we were able to keep our son in his home school through graduation. But the hell they gave us will never be forgotten. Friggin' corrupt SOBs and DOBs.
Does not compute

Trying to wrap head around concept of StWronge home-schooling anyone

Danger, Will Robinson
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
You won't get any sympathy from me as a school board member because I spent about 10 years fighiting a school board to keep my deaf son in his home school with his sister when the State law clearly said that unless the IEP requires otherwise a disabled person is to attend the school they'd attend if not disabled. All kinds of intellectual dishonesty from the school board when the bottom line is that they were trying to save money. The School Board I dealt with were a bunch of dishonest SOBs and DOBs.

Fortunately we were able to keep our son in his home school through graduation. But the hell they gave us will never be forgotten. Friggin' corrupt SOBs and DOBs.
Does not compute

Danger, Will Robinson
"Home school" in this case means the school the kid would attend if they were not disabled.

Had we home schooled him it would have been mostly my wife. But that is not what happened. By fighting the school system we managed to keep him in his home school through graduation. But the intellectual dishonesty on the part of the School System and the School Board was palpable.

Look, there was a State law that said something like "Unless the IEP requires otherwise, the student will be educated in the school they would attend if not disabled." It was clear as hell. My kid was perhaps the highest achieving deaf student ever in that school system. In fact I'd bet he was and is that to this day. But they were arguing that he just HAD to be clustered with other deaf children at a central school for his benefit. No way that was true. In fact it would have limited him.

It was related to them being worried about having to provide services to kids in private schools. My wife would have to remind me of how it worked. But it really wasn't about my kid. It was about them having to make the argument about the clusters and the central school so they could argue they didn't have to provide services to kids in private schools.

It was a bunch of crap. And I came away from that experience thinking very little of people on that school board. A bunch of intellectually dishonest slime balls.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

To add to the story: My son has a sister who was one grade behind him. They were very close. They went to the same school. But there was a case going on where a deaf girl who went to a parochial school wanted the school system to provide a Cued Speech transliterator for her at the parochial school. Somehow or another that related to the school system deciding it needed to claim that it would be better for ALL the deaf children in the Parish to be clustered at one public school. So we were notified that my son, who was flourishing at his "neighborhood" school with his sister, had to transfer to the central school where all the deaf kids would be clustered.

It was horrible. And State law literally very cleary prohibited it. But what I found during that experience is that what the plain English of a what law says really doesn't matter. It should. But it doesn't. It's not going to stop cynical people like the people on that School Board from trying to find some rationale to do what they want to do.

It turned out all right for us. Our son stayed in the schools he would have attended if not disabled through graduation then went on to get a Juris Doctorate. But I will never forget the dishonesty of the School Board members, School System Administrators, and School System legal representation. Slime balls. Every one of them.

One thing that was interesting is that the actual teachers, principals, etc. at the schools my son went to were always pulling for him. They very clearly disagreed with the School Board and the School System Administration. They supported him. That part was great. The "on the line" people were very noble.
Could I ever be a star?

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Does not compute

Danger, Will Robinson
"Home school" in this case means the school the kid would attend if they were not disabled.

Had we home schooled him it would have been mostly my wife. But that is not what happened. By fighting the school system we managed to keep him in his home school through graduation. But the intellectual dishonesty on the part of the School System and the School Board was palpable.

Look, there was a State law that said something like "Unless the IEP requires otherwise, the student will be educated in the school they would attend if not disabled." It was clear as hell. My kid was perhaps the highest achieving deaf student ever in that school system. In fact I'd bet he was and is that to this day. But they were arguing that he just HAD to be clustered with other deaf children at a central school for his benefit. No way that was true. In fact it would have limited him.

It was related to them being worried about having to provide services to kids in private schools. My wife would have to remind me of how it worked. But it really wasn't about my kid. It was about them having to make the argument about the clusters and the central school so they could argue they didn't have to provide services to kids in private schools.

It was a bunch of crap. And I came away from that experience thinking very little of people on that school board. A bunch of intellectually dishonest slime balls.
You should say resident or residence district instead of home school. :twocents:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

HI54UNI wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

You should say resident or residence district instead of home school. :twocents:
Oh come on. You being on a school board means you know very well what people mean when they say "home school" in the context of discussions of the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act.
Could I ever be a star?

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

JohnStOnge wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:
Oh come on. You being on a school board means you know very well what people mean when they say "home school" in the context of discussions of the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act.
No, you say home school and to most everyone it means that you are educating the kids at home. Look at Ivy's comment - he thought the same thing.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

HI54UNI wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
No, you say home school and to most everyone it means that you are educating the kids at home. Look at Ivy's comment - he thought the same thing.
So did I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

HI54UNI wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
I said "within the context of discussion of the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act." Yes, Ivy perceived it as talking about home schooling and I can see how that could happen. But I know you know that when people are discussing the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA) and they talk about educating the child in their "home school" they are talking about the school they would attend if they were not disabled.

This is not something I'm unfamiliar with beyond my son's own issues. I was on the Louisiana Commission for the Deaf during the 1990s and went to national meetings on "Inclusion" and such. Everybody involved in discussions pertaining to the issue of educating students at the school they would attend if they were not disabled or educated at a central location in order to allow the school system to consolidate resources knows what's being referenced when the terminology "home school" is used during those discussions.
Could I ever be a star?

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

JohnStOnge wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:
I said "within the context of discussion of the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act." Yes, Ivy perceived it as talking about home schooling and I can see how that could happen. But I know you know that when people are discussing the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA) and they talk about educating the child in their "home school" they are talking about the school they would attend if they were not disabled.

This is not something I'm unfamiliar with beyond my son's own issues. I was on the Louisiana Commission for the Deaf during the 1990s and went to national meetings on "Inclusion" and such. Everybody involved in discussions pertaining to the issue of educating students at the school they would attend if they were not disabled or educated at a central location in order to allow the school system to consolidate resources knows what's being referenced when the terminology "home school" is used during those discussions.
You're first post didn't say any of that. Your first post made it sound like you were fighting with the school board to home school your son instead of having him attend public school.

None of that would have happened here. We would prefer to keep the child in their resident district vs. shipping them off somewhere. It's better for the child which is the most important thing. We have a poster hanging in our board room that says, "Is the decision we are about to make in the best interest of our students?" It's a good reminder and something all school boards should follow.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire