Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Trump and Existential Christian Fear

Post by kalm »

Interesting theory pertaining to a surprising and important political alliance.

Unsurprisingly, those who actually go to church are less inclined to support to Trump. As Cleets sometimes suggests, the same might also be true for those who actually read the bible.
Of all the developments that have come along with Donald Trump’s capture of the Republican Party, few have been as unexpected as his robust support among conservative white evangelicals. What caused these socially conservative voters to embrace a candidate who built his brand on values so strikingly dissimilar from theirs? Why have many evangelicals gone so far as to actually uphold Trump’s values as a virtue in our current political moment?

I come to the question both as a political scientist and as a friendly observer of, and by some definitions, a participant in, the world of conservative white evangelicalism, who also did not vote for Trump and remains deeply Trump-skeptical. As a political scientist, I think it’s important to try and explain this recent evangelical political behavior in the context of broader questions about our current political moment, and religion and politics. As a friendly observer of conservative evangelicalism, who thinks categorical support for Trump is both unwise and harmful for evangelicals in the long term, I think it’s even more important to understand the reasons for that support. After all, understanding why it happened is the first necessary step to persuade evangelicals that it’s ultimately self-defeating. So, as a political scientist and a friendly observer/participant, I’d like to offer a theory: Donald Trump appeared at a time during which many evangelicals’ rising expectations had turned, rather rapidly, into existential fear. Trump was uniquely positioned to exploit that moment and win over evangelicals. Yet while that support is very real, I also think it is shallower and more conditional than it appears.
https://thebulwark.com/why-did-evangeli ... O5nOBBE0l0
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Trump and Existential Christian Fear

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:Interesting theory pertaining to a surprising and important political alliance.

Unsurprisingly, those who actually go to church are less inclined to support to Trump. As Cleets sometimes suggests, the same might also be true for those who actually read the bible.
Of all the developments that have come along with Donald Trump’s capture of the Republican Party, few have been as unexpected as his robust support among conservative white evangelicals. What caused these socially conservative voters to embrace a candidate who built his brand on values so strikingly dissimilar from theirs? Why have many evangelicals gone so far as to actually uphold Trump’s values as a virtue in our current political moment?

I come to the question both as a political scientist and as a friendly observer of, and by some definitions, a participant in, the world of conservative white evangelicalism, who also did not vote for Trump and remains deeply Trump-skeptical. As a political scientist, I think it’s important to try and explain this recent evangelical political behavior in the context of broader questions about our current political moment, and religion and politics. As a friendly observer of conservative evangelicalism, who thinks categorical support for Trump is both unwise and harmful for evangelicals in the long term, I think it’s even more important to understand the reasons for that support. After all, understanding why it happened is the first necessary step to persuade evangelicals that it’s ultimately self-defeating. So, as a political scientist and a friendly observer/participant, I’d like to offer a theory: Donald Trump appeared at a time during which many evangelicals’ rising expectations had turned, rather rapidly, into existential fear. Trump was uniquely positioned to exploit that moment and win over evangelicals. Yet while that support is very real, I also think it is shallower and more conditional than it appears.
From the Trump supporters I know in person, the typically voted for him because of the party stance on abortion and legal immigration, the desire for a conservative Supreme Court, or their pure hatred of Hillary Clinton. It's really just that simple.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:Interesting theory pertaining to a surprising and important political alliance.

From the Trump supporters I know in person, the typically voted for him because of the party stance on abortion and legal immigration, the desire for a conservative Supreme Court, or their pure hatred of Hillary Clinton. It's really just that simple.
I agree with that, people spend a lot of time trying to postulate how folks voted for Trump when the answer is as simple as you made it. This ain't rocket science.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Gil Dobie wrote:

So they're still idiots. :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
There are a lot of partisans out there.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

I’m just an active regular churchgoer in a mainline Protestant denomination that has been co-opted by progressivism. Ain’t no existential fear there. :coffee:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:I’m just an active regular churchgoer in a mainline Protestant denomination that has been co-opted by progressivism. Ain’t no existential fear there. :coffee:
Yeah...I could have used the qualifier "evangelical" in the thread title, but what fun is that? :mrgreen:

You also help the main thrust of the article.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I agree with that, people spend a lot of time trying to postulate how folks voted for Trump when the answer is as simple as you made it. This ain't rocket science.
I don't necessarily disagree, but this snippet from the article is interesting in that light...
It’s important to note one caveat in this story. If we disaggregate the polling data on white evangelicals from the 2016 primary to look at regular church attendance, rather than evangelical self-identification, it becomes clear that those who regularly attended church were less likely to support Trump than those who self-identified as evangelical but were not regular attenders. In his newly published book Alienated America, Tim Carney makes a compelling case that these regular churchgoers were less receptive to Trump’s broader message of social isolation and the death of the American dream. Existential fear, in other words, was less all-encompassing for regular attenders because they have more social connection. This analysis is almost certainly correct, but it’s important to note that most of these regular attenders came home to Trump in the end—and have, with some exceptions, generally supported him since. I believe the existential fear I describe remains the most helpful explanation of this political behavior even for these regular-attending latecomers, though Carney’s argument may imply that the attitude gap between regular vs. irregular attenders among self-identified evangelicals may persist in ways that are relevant to a 2020 primary challenge.

By accident or design, Trump did two things after winning the nomination that firmly consolidated evangelical support. First, he had the Federalist Society produce the list from which he would pick judges to the Supreme Court, and the lower courts. Second, he picked Mike Pence as his vice president. Though he’s despised by social progressives for numerous reasons, Pence’s bland, Midwestern style and self-evident social conservatism were reassuring to evangelicals in ways Trump could never be.

So...the closer to church and God the further from Trump? :?
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

#FakeChristians.
Go Black Bears!
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Ivytalk wrote:I’m just an active regular churchgoer in a mainline Protestant denomination that has been co-opted by progressivism. Ain’t no existential fear there. :coffee:
Methodist? I was raised heathen basically, but they were always the most fun.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

kalm don't even get me started...
The average self-righteous American christian fundamentalist would follow Satan himself
if they thought it would get them a seat at the table where the adults sit

Evangelical Christianity has been getting thumped from every side - even from fellow "Christians"
for the last 25 years and the loss of numbers at positions of influence is significant

Our society is drifting in the opposite direction of Fundamentalism
Christianity will always be popular in America
but not in the form that Evangelicals desire

Trump is their very last gasp

:coffee:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Chizzang wrote:kalm don't even get me started...
The average self-righteous American christian fundamentalist would follow Satan himself
if they thought it would get them a seat at the table where the adults sit

Evangelical Christianity has been getting thumped from every side - even from fellow "Christians"
for the last 25 years and the loss of numbers at positions of influence is significant

Our society is drifting in the opposite direction of Fundamentalism
Christianity will always be popular in America
but not in the form that Evangelicals desire

Trump is their very last gasp

:coffee:
And as pointed out, the irony in the whole thing is that Trump is the least "Evangelical" conk candidate/President in the last half century. :lol:

The "why Trump" answer is more along the lines of what Gil posted, not some Evangelical Christian conspiracy theory.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I don't necessarily disagree, but this snippet from the article is interesting in that light...
It’s important to note one caveat in this story. If we disaggregate the polling data on white evangelicals from the 2016 primary to look at regular church attendance, rather than evangelical self-identification, it becomes clear that those who regularly attended church were less likely to support Trump than those who self-identified as evangelical but were not regular attenders. In his newly published book Alienated America, Tim Carney makes a compelling case that these regular churchgoers were less receptive to Trump’s broader message of social isolation and the death of the American dream. Existential fear, in other words, was less all-encompassing for regular attenders because they have more social connection. This analysis is almost certainly correct, but it’s important to note that most of these regular attenders came home to Trump in the end—and have, with some exceptions, generally supported him since. I believe the existential fear I describe remains the most helpful explanation of this political behavior even for these regular-attending latecomers, though Carney’s argument may imply that the attitude gap between regular vs. irregular attenders among self-identified evangelicals may persist in ways that are relevant to a 2020 primary challenge.

By accident or design, Trump did two things after winning the nomination that firmly consolidated evangelical support. First, he had the Federalist Society produce the list from which he would pick judges to the Supreme Court, and the lower courts. Second, he picked Mike Pence as his vice president. Though he’s despised by social progressives for numerous reasons, Pence’s bland, Midwestern style and self-evident social conservatism were reassuring to evangelicals in ways Trump could never be.

But that doesn't make sense, the part you quoted actually says that it didn't matter if they were church going or not, the still ended up voting for Trump. I just bolded the part you quoted but seem to have drawn a different conclusion from.

Like I said, the deeper you dig the further you get away from what Gil said in terms of why people voted for Trump - keep it simple. This is like an Occum's Razor moment if one was so inclined.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
So: defending the unborns' rights, wanting immigrants to come here legally and desiring a conservative supreme court makes one an idiot?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: So they're still idiots. :coffee:
So: defending the unborns' rights, wanting immigrants to come here legally and desiring a conservative supreme court makes one an idiot?
Well, you get to call people with whom you disagree idiots. Why can't the rest of us? :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Grizalltheway wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Well, you get to call people with whom you disagree idiots. Why can't the rest of us? :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:

But that doesn't make sense, the part you quoted actually says that it didn't matter if they were church going or not, the still ended up voting for Trump. I just bolded the part you quoted but seem to have drawn a different conclusion from.

Like I said, the deeper you dig the further you get away from what Gil said in terms of why people voted for Trump - keep it simple. This is like an Occum's Razor moment if one was so inclined.
Fair enough.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Trump and Existential Christian Fear

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

That would put Trip, Jeff and JSO at God's right hand. Kind of like her own personal Moe, Larry and Shemp.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Methodist? I was raised heathen basically, but they were always the most fun.
A Methodist is just a Baptist that can read
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

houndawg wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: Methodist? I was raised heathen basically, but they were always the most fun.
Hey, I didn't say SOUTHERN Methodist. :tothehand:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Grizalltheway wrote:
houndawg wrote:
:clap:

We don't care what you call it... :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Grizalltheway wrote:
houndawg wrote:
BOOM!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
If you’re talking about #dumberthanaboxofrocks, I mean, come ON. She’s proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that she’s an idiot. And it has nothing to do with her position on anything.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Seems fairly consistent with what my outlook has been though not quite the same. My outlook has been that White Evangelicals felt under attack because of things like the Courts forcing homosexual marriage upon the entire country and State governments forcing things like bakers making cakes for homosexual weddings.

Also I think it's short sighted. White Evangelical Christians rallying behind Trump is destroying the credibility of White Evangelical Christianity. And it's stigmatizing the Republican Party.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

While I'm not sure what this has to do with Trump, I CAN vouch that there are some definite threats against Christianity in our nation. Existential threats? Probably not at this time. Merely annoyances for now, but they ARE escalating to some degree. But there are DEFINITELY existential threats against Christianity worldwide. And it's not just radical Islam. There are many places where its simply government craziness aimed at Christians that has nothing to do with Islam or any other religion. That's particularly true in the Soviet Union. (Yes, I know the name has changed, but their current leader is behaving just like his Soviet predecessors....)

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.