houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by houndawg »

Pwns wrote:Biden is in.

Aaaaaaaand everyone else is playing for second place. He'll ride the Hildabeast's southern firewall to the nomination.
The oligarchy wing of the Democrats is betting that the 2016 strategy will work this time. After ratfucking Bernie and causing a lot of Independents to stay home, they're counting on them voting for anybody that isn't trump this time. The narrative will be: ".. we must stand behind whoever the Democrat is because look what happened last time when we didn't." Meanwhile they'll once again ratfuck anybody not of the corporate wing in the primary. I think they'll have a better chance of pulling it off this time IF they buy off Bernie with the healthcare plank in their platform. :coffee: You're welcome.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Gil Dobie wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Red states need to stop freeloading. :coffee:
I live in Minnesota and there's lots of that going on here too. Less per person, because there are more people.
But as a State you pay more federal taxes than you receive from the gubmint. You guys pull your weight.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

houndawg wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I live in Minnesota and there's lots of that going on here too. Less per person, because there are more people.
But as a State you pay more federal taxes than you receive from the gubmint. You guys pull your weight.
California is near the top in taxes paid and taxes spent, North Dakota is near the botton in taxes paid and taxes spent. It all depends on what you count and how you present the statistics on taxes. I don't know how they count this money, but how many air force bases, missile sites and reservations does Illinois have?
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
Pwns wrote:Biden is in.

Aaaaaaaand everyone else is playing for second place. He'll ride the Hildabeast's southern firewall to the nomination.
Biden-Edwards ‘20. Care to wager a Sambo’s lunch, CID? :coffee:
I won’t bet on the VP pick but I’ll wager Sanders over Biden.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ironic that for 2020 the top 2 donk candidates are 2 old white guys where either would set a record BY FAR for oldest elected to office. Trump was the oldest at 70 to enter office, displacing Reagan who was 69. If both are still alive, Sanders will be 78 next fall, and Biden will be 77.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Gil Dobie wrote:
houndawg wrote:
California is near the top in taxes paid and taxes spent, North Dakota is near the botton in taxes paid and taxes spent. It all depends on what you count and how you present the statistics on taxes. I don't know how they count this money, but how many air force bases, missile sites and reservations does Illinois have?
Not many - I can only think of one maybe two AF bases open, little bit of Navy and Coast Guard. We cough up.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Biden-Edwards ‘20. Care to wager a Sambo’s lunch, CID? :coffee:
Biden would create a turnout problem but I have a problem trying to picture the Democrat establishment accepting Bernie as the nominee no matter how big a crowd he draws. On the other hand Bernie has a strong hand to play and he will know how to play it. I'd love to see him force himself down the throats of the Party and then make them listen to long speeches about how important it is for all Democrats to now rally round the nominee because western civilization as we know it hangs in the balance.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Prior to 2018, residents of IL, NY, CA and similar states were paying less in federal taxes because they were able to deduct extremely high state & local taxes on their federal taxes. In other words they were being subsidized by (freeloading off of) other state's residents.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Prior to 2018, residents of IL, NY, CA and similar states were paying less in federal taxes because they were able to deduct extremely high state & local taxes on their federal taxes. In other words they were being subsidized by (freeloading off of) other state's residents.
Yep. Its been going on for decades and decades, residents of low tax states subsidizing residents of high tax states via local & state deductions. Where the conks erred with the tax cuts was not eliminating all local & state tax deductions off federal taxes, in combination with decreasing the bracket percentages a little further, increasing the standard deduction further, having each bracket kick in at a little higher income level..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Biden-Edwards ‘20. Care to wager a Sambo’s lunch, CID? :coffee:
You’re on. But will you ever be back stateside so I can collect? 8-)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
You’re on. But will you ever be back stateside so I can collect? 8-)
Yep! Next tour’s in DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

What's with all the cheap ass Dems who don't give to charity?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: You’re on. But will you ever be back stateside so I can collect? 8-)
Yep! Next tour’s in DC.

When does it start? I’m ready to eat crabs! :thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote:What's with all the cheap ass Dems who don't give to charity?
Either they don’t make enough/work hard enough to have extra cash (because...you know, liberals)

Or they’d rather use someone else’s money.

Duh.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Either they don’t make enough/work hard enough to have extra cash (because...you know, liberals)

Duh.
Biden gives about $6.93 a year to charity. He’s famously a cheap shyt.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote:

Duh.
What does it say about their willingness to help a fellow person out?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote:
kalm wrote:

Duh.
What does it say about their willingness to help a fellow person out?
Do you really want to break this down? One quick google hit from the 2016 campaign showed Hillary at a 10% giving rate, sanders at 5%, Jeb and Christie both below Bernie and Cruz at .8%.

Obviously many variables between years and people but hey...it’s a good gotcha meme for low information voters.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Yep! Next tour’s in DC.

When does it start? I’m ready to eat crabs! :thumb:
Aug 2020. I’ll be back just in time for the real silly season
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:What does it say about their willingness to help a fellow person out?
Do you really want to break this down? One quick google hit from the 2016 campaign showed Hillary at a 10% giving rate, sanders at 5%, Jeb and Christie both below Bernie and Cruz at .8%.

Obviously many variables between years and people but hey...it’s a good gotcha meme for low information voters.
How much a politician gives to charity is only for low information voters?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:What does it say about their willingness to help a fellow person out?

You seem to not value charity very highly. That's interesting.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote:
kalm wrote:

You seem to not value charity very highly. That's interesting.
Well...I run two charity fundraiser events one of which is regional and donates 10’s of thousands to a children’s hospital. I’m now managing and I’m on the board of a registered 501c3. My wife and I give substantially each year to the Humane Society and EWU Athletics. And I gave $1000 this year to AGS via a lost bet with a Bizon poster. :mrgreen:

So yeah...not highly at all.

I saw this angle you’re pushing about Bernie days ahead on FB. As with all things, there’s more to the story of charitable giving via personal finances than right wing memes created for the gullible.

:thumb:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:You seem to not value charity very highly. That's interesting.
Well...I run two charity fundraiser events one of which is regional and donates 10’s of thousands to a children’s hospital. I’m now managing and I’m on the board of a registered 501c3. My wife and I give substantially each year to the Humane Society and EWU Athletics. And I gave $1000 this year to AGS via a lost bet with a Bizon poster. :mrgreen:

I saw this angle you’re pushing about Bernie days ahead on FB. As with all things, there’s more to the story of charitable giving via personal finances than right wing memes created for the gullible.

While I wasn't asking for your specifics, I am impressed by your efforts.

My point is simply that it's interesting to see people advocate the redistribution of money, but won't participate. Not saying you do.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote:
kalm wrote:

While I wasn't asking for your specifics, I am impressed by your efforts.

My point is simply that it's interesting to see people advocate the redistribution of money, but won't participate. Not saying you do.
It varies from year to year. Like I pointed out, Bernie gave more than Republican candidates leading up to the 2016 election. People give less over certain periods for other reasons - maybe a family member needs help with catastrophic health care expenses. Maybe they're saving and investing with a plan to make a larger lump sum gift in future years.

Without an actual annual breakdown of giving, casting that judgement is shakie at best.

By the same token it's also interesting to see people who've benefited largely from government spending advocate for cuts in social spending.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Let the games begin!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/these-que ... -president

Can we get a ruling here? Jon? MJ?

Are you guys more oppressed than women or are women more oppressed than gay men?

It is going to be really hard keeping up in the primary seas... er I mean intersectionality olympics
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:Let the games begin!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/these-que ... -president

Can we get a ruling here? Jon? MJ?

Are you guys more oppressed than women or are women more oppressed than gay men?

It is going to be really hard keeping up in the primary seas... er I mean intersectionality olympics
Did you see that throwaway line at the beginning of the article: “with Hillary Clinton’s bitter defeat still fresh on their tongues”? :rofl:

Before we even coined the term “intersectionality,” back when I did alumni interviewing for Harvard College applicants, people used to joke about the ideal candidate. The winner was a black, one-eyed, lesbian violinist.