How Long Will The Shutdown Last? (Dec 2018)

Political discussions

How long will the shutdown last?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:15 pm

Less than a week (open by Dec 28)
10%
1 to <2 weeks (open by Jan 4)
7%
2 to <3 weeks (open by Jan 11)
17%
3 to <4 weeks (open by Jan 18)
7%
4 to <5 weeks (open by Jan 25)
No votes
5 to <6 weeks (open by Feb 2)
10%
6 or more weeks
48%

Total votes: 29

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: How Long Will The Shutdown Last? (Dec 2018)

Post by CAA Flagship »

93 as an Uber driver:

phpBB [video]
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

CAA Flagship wrote:93 as an Uber driver:

phpBB [video]
And a bus driver.

phpBB [video]
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Aaaaaand, Trump cancels Pelosi's trip to the Middle East minutes before takeoff.

Yeah, I won't be getting a paycheck anytime soon.
Dear Madame Speaker,

Due to the Shutdown, I am sorry to inform you that your trip to Brussels, Egypt and Afghanistan has been postponed. We will reschedule this seven-day excursion when the Shutdown is over, In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I am sure you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate. I also feel that, during this period, it would be better if you were in Washington negotiating with me and joining the Strong Border Security movement to end the Shutdown. Obviously, if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative.

I look forward to seeing you soon and even more forward to watching our open and dangerous Southern Border finally receive the attention, funding, and security it so desperately deserves!

Sincerely,

Donald J. Trump
Last edited by 93henfan on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Ibanez wrote:Federal workers get screwed at every turn, it's sad.
Not really :coffee:

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:Aaaaaand, Trump cancels Pelosi's trip to the Middle East minutes before takeoff.

Dear Madame Speaker,

Due to the Shutdown, I am sorry to inform you that your trip to Brussels, Egypt and Afghanistan has been postponed. We will reschedule this seven-day excursion when the Shutdown is over, In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I am sure you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate. I also feel that, during this period, it would be better if you were in Washington negotiating with me and joining the Strong Border Security movement to end the Shutdown. Obviously, if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative.

I look forward to seeing you soon and even more forward to watching our open and dangerous Southern Border finally receive the attention, funding, and security it so desperately deserves!

Sincerely,

Donald J. Trump
Another thing that'll make the nut jobs in his base go "YEAH" but won't actually help him at all. Pelosi's move was political and everybody knows it but the reason for doing it is obvious. It makes sense. Trump doing this just makes him look childish. Wait, I shouldn't say "makes him look childish." He IS childish. The correct statement is that it just reminds everyone outside of his nut job base that he's childish.

BTW I don't think Pelosi should've cited security. I think she should've just said she's not going to make Federal employees go through all the effort it takes to put a State of the Union Address on when they're not getting paid. I think that would've been more effective.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Lindsey Graham has to go on another Kavanaugh hearing-style rant to get the two children to start playing nice.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:Lindsey Graham has to go on another Kavanaugh hearing-style rant to get the two children to start playing nice.
I don't think it's two children. I think Pelosi is very much a grown up. I do think the Democrat side should focus on making what I think is the primary legitimate argument for their position. They should clearly state that Trump is attempting extortion. It may be a relatively small amount of money in the context of the Federal budget but if they give him what he wants in this case he's going to do it again and we'll have future situations like this. It's very important to establish that this extortion tactic is not going to get him what he wants or we're going to be seeing this every time it's time to finalize appropriations. That's a very reasonable, understandable argument and they should focus on it every time they get interviewed, every time they make a Statement, ect. That and they should point out that the majority of the American People do not want his wall to begin with.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:Lindsey Graham has to go on another Kavanaugh hearing-style rant to get the two children to start playing nice.
You know, 93, even aside from this situation, if all you were interested in was your own well being, you'd be pulling for Democrats to control all of government. That's because there is NO doubt that Federal employees have been and will always be better off when Democrats are in control. Democrats care more about the well being of Federal employees. They view government as a positive force for good. Republicans look at government as a necessary evil. If they had their way there would be fewer Federal employees and the ones that are employed would make less money, receive less generous benefits than they do, etc.

A Federal employee who votes Republican is voting against their own self-interest.
Could I ever be a star?

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
You know, 93, even aside from this situation, if all you were interested in was your own well being, you'd be pulling for Democrats to control all of government. That's because there is NO doubt that Federal employees have been and will always be better off when Democrats are in control. Democrats care more about the well being of Federal employees. They view government as a positive force for good. Republicans look at government as a necessary evil. If they had their way there would be fewer Federal employees and the ones that are employed would make less money, receive less generous benefits than they do, etc.

A Federal employee who votes Republican is voting against their own self-interest.
Partly true, but I also believe in personal freedoms afforded by the Bill of Rights, to include the Second Amendment. What we're going to get from 2021 - ? after Trump loses is a wild swing to the left, which comes with its own harm.

Also, Obama froze my pay for three consecutive years, so it's not like he was throwing me candy from his float.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:I got a little emotional there, late at night. I still like Brown people.

Also, I'm kind of a dick sometimes too. Mea culpa. Apologies on any dickish posts I've ever made.

Some good news: my damn W2 finally became available today, so I just went on TurboTax and did my Fed and State returns. Getting enough of a refund to cover two months of expenses, so that was nice. I should be good through summer before I'd need to file bankruptcy! :lol:
No apologies needed. Given the circumstances I know you are still tough enough to take the ribbing, and based on your preparedness for the situation it's obvious that you'll be just fine. You were always going to be just fine. Besides, if things get real bad I'll just offer you a job mowing my dead lawn...or I'll mail you a taco. :nod:

The point of my over the top comments is that there is a basic level of personal responsibility that our society desperately lacks. A lot of it stems from the cradle to grave gubmint assistance most feel entitled to, and is reflected in the lack of financial preparedness in dealing with basic "emergencies" like living with no income for a few months. While I understand the severity of the circumstances you and many others face; I found your hysteria over this whole ordeal quite comical given the fact that gubmint employees have ALWAYS received back pay during a shutdown and that you stated over and over you were more than prepared for the next 3 months or so....well longer now that you got that hefty tax return. :mrgreen:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote:
SDHornet wrote: Like I said, a paid vacation. :coffee:
Pretty sure a vaca is a relaxing time where you're not scrambling to call lenders, worrying about bills, wondering if utilities will be shut off, or figuring out how to put food on the table.
Lots of people put their vacay's on the credit card then stress over the bills later. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:Aaaaaand, Trump cancels Pelosi's trip to the Middle East minutes before takeoff.

Dear Madame Speaker,

Sincerely,

Donald J. Trump
They need her to negotiate a deal, no?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:
Also, Obama froze my pay for three consecutive years, so it's not like he was throwing me candy from his float.
I voted against Obama both times. But your pay was frozen because there had to be a giant blast of Federal expenditures in order to address an economic crisis. Some things had to be given in return. Under any given set of circumstances you are going do do better in terms of pay raises under Democrats than you are going to do under Republicans.
Could I ever be a star?

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ok 93, who are you outraged at now:
The House rejected a GOP measure to pay furloughed workers but keep the government closed in a 222-195 vote.

Six Democrats voted for the GOP measure, offered as an alternative to a Democratic bill to reopen the government.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4258 ... government

You would have gotten paid and NOT had to go into work. :lol:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote:Ok 93, who are you outraged at now:
The House rejected a GOP measure to pay furloughed workers but keep the government closed in a 222-195 vote.

Six Democrats voted for the GOP measure, offered as an alternative to a Democratic bill to reopen the government.

I am on a constant rotation of GovExec, TheHill, FederalNewsNetwork, and WaPo, so I am well aware of everything that has happened in DC within minutes. I saw that bill. It was dead before arrival. The Democrats aren't signing anything that doesn't open the government.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Ok 93, who are you outraged at now:

I am on a constant rotation of GovExec, TheHill, FederalNewsNetwork, and WaPo, so I am well aware of everything that has happened in DC within minutes. I saw that bill. It was dead before arrival. The Democrats aren't signing anything that doesn't open the government.
And Trump isn't signing anything that doesn't have wall funding...and so here we are...
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote:
93henfan wrote:
And Trump isn't signing anything that doesn't have wall funding...and so here we are...
The pressure is mounting on Trump though, and not on the Democrats. Time is not Trump's friend on this.

By the way, I am finally seeing some hard numbers on people affected. Other than the 800K (out of 2M) federal civilians not getting paid, the number of contractors and grantees currently not working is 4.1 million. So right now, Trump has taken away the paychecks of 5 million people with his wall demand.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:
SDHornet wrote: And Trump isn't signing anything that doesn't have wall funding...and so here we are...
The pressure is mounting on Trump though, and not on the Democrats. Time is not Trump's friend on this.

By the way, I am finally seeing some hard numbers on people affected. Other than the 800K (out of 2M) federal civilians not getting paid, the number of contractors and grantees currently not working is 4.1 million. So right now, Trump has taken away the paychecks of 5 million people with his wall demand.
All dems have to do is fund a piddly $5B for the wall/fence/barrier and everyone goes back to work.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Dear Madame Speaker,

Sincerely,

Donald J. Trump

Single GREATEST thing a President has ever done in office! Fucking LOVE it!!! :nod: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

SDHornet wrote:
93henfan wrote:

All dems have to do is fund a piddly $5B for the wall/fence/barrier and everyone goes back to work.
Exactly, why do they hate government workers? Its only 5 billion for christ sake

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote:
93henfan wrote:

They don't want to set a precedent that a President can extort his country and ruin people's lives for a whim.

I think Republicans are smart enough to realize that that's a very dangerous precedent to set when they'll have a Democrat in the White House in 24 months.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

93...are you contributing to these numbers???

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/p ... t-shutdown

:kisswink:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Col Hogan wrote:93...are you contributing to these numbers???

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/p ... t-shutdown

:kisswink:
Do you have the Slower Delaware numbers? If they haven't changed, then no. If they went up, then no. I don't lower myself to that sort of filth and naughtiness. :coffee:
Last edited by 93henfan on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:
Partly true, but I also believe in personal freedoms afforded by the Bill of Rights, to include the Second Amendment. What we're going to get from 2021 - ? after Trump loses is a wild swing to the left, which comes with its own harm.

The inevitable Democratic knee jerk reaction that's coming is going to be bad for everybody...
and I mean EVERYBODY

:nod:

I'm not looking forward to that day... but it's coming
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:
SDHornet wrote: And Trump isn't signing anything that doesn't have wall funding...and so here we are...
I don’t know about that.

I think way too many people - Dems, Republicans, independents, everybody - are working from the assumption that Trump gives a flying fvck...

Either the GOP in the Senate has a rebellion, or Pelosi caves on the wall, but Trump isn’t going to cave. He can do this straight on until 2020.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris