Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Your Ballot

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:Watched "The Campaign" last night. Damn that's a funny movie. :lol:

phpBB [video]
:lol: :lol: This is a good movie. I fully approve.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Read an interesting piece about Duverger’s law in Reason today. Winner-take-all electoral structures favor a two-party system, while third parties need proportional representation to have any hope of success. Although about 40% of Americans claim to be independents, the vast majority lean Red or Blue on a regular basis. At this rate, Libertarians and Greens will be stuck at a collective 5% of the vote for a long time.

Solution for third-party voters? Move to Italy, Belgium, or Scandinavia.
I've been saying that for years here and been chastised for saying so.
Really? I don’t recall your ever mentioning Duverger’s Law.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Bisonfanatical
Level1
Level1

Re: RE: Re: Your Ballot

Post by Bisonfanatical »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Bisonfanatical wrote:North Dakota,

The for the first time as an independent voter I voted straight Republican party only, there is such a sense of disgust inside me over that Kavanaugh conformation circus that I voted to punish that party.

As much as 1 vote can Image

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That is really sad since Kavanaugh was probably lying and Blasey Ford was probably telling the truth.
Holy shitballs,

Are you actually serious?

Get past your president Trump hate speach for a minute.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Your Ballot

Post by SeattleGriz »

Bisonfanatical wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
That is really sad since Kavanaugh was probably lying and Blasey Ford was probably telling the truth.
Holy shitballs,

Get past your president Trump hate speach for a minute.

You see Blasey Ford's FBI buddy is now under investigation?

Total shocker to see those old FBI/DOJ Russian collusion lawyers show up on Ford's side.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:Read an interesting piece about Duverger’s law in Reason today. Winner-take-all electoral structures favor a two-party system, while third parties need proportional representation to have any hope of success. Although about 40% of Americans claim to be independents, the vast majority lean Red or Blue on a regular basis. At this rate, Libertarians and Greens will be stuck at a collective 5% of the vote for a long time.

Yup, if a sustainable, long term third party was possible we'd already have one, or at least evidence of one in the past 200+ years. Any third party movement inevitably gets sucked up by one of the existing two parties and we're back to a duopoly. No reason to think that history is going to be overturned anytime soon.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote:

Yup, if a sustainable, long term third party was possible we'd already have one, or at least evidence of one in the past 200+ years. Any third party movement inevitably gets sucked up by one of the existing two parties and we're back to a duopoly. No reason to think that history is going to be overturned anytime soon.
If two parties were only separated by a few miles, there isn't much room for a third party. But today's parties are separated by 1000's of miles. Plenty of elbow room for a third party, but it has to start from local levels. Can't build the roof before the walls.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
If two parties were only separated by a few miles, there isn't much room for a third party. But today's parties are separated by 1000's of miles. Plenty of elbow room for a third party, but it has to start from local levels. Can't build the roof before the walls.
This...it also doesn't help that the Ds and Rs have rigged the system to squash any competition.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: If two parties were only separated by a few miles, there isn't much room for a third party. But today's parties are separated by 1000's of miles. Plenty of elbow room for a third party, but it has to start from local levels. Can't build the roof before the walls.
This...it also doesn't help that the Ds and Rs have rigged the system to squash any competition.
One of the few things that both parties agree on. :nod:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

89Hen wrote:Watched "The Campaign" last night. Damn that's a funny movie. :lol:

phpBB [video]
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:But today's parties are separated by 1000's of miles. Plenty of elbow room for a third party, but it has to start from local levels. Can't build the roof before the walls.
How so? Both are more concerned about being elected and spend too much. Neither really implements wide sweeping social change even though they talk about it... more accurately, the OTHER side talks about how crazy it will be under the other side. It's VERY partisan, but there really isn't much separating the two.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:But today's parties are separated by 1000's of miles. Plenty of elbow room for a third party, but it has to start from local levels. Can't build the roof before the walls.
How so? Both are more concerned about being elected and spend too much. Neither really implements wide sweeping social change even though they talk about it... more accurately, the OTHER side talks about how crazy it will be under the other side. It's VERY partisan, but there really isn't much separating the two.
They are both full of shit, but to say there isn't much separating the two is crazy. If Hillary won and had control of House and Senate, would we have the tax cuts and de-regulation? There is no way.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:
89Hen wrote: How so? Both are more concerned about being elected and spend too much. Neither really implements wide sweeping social change even though they talk about it... more accurately, the OTHER side talks about how crazy it will be under the other side. It's VERY partisan, but there really isn't much separating the two.
They are both full of shit, but to say there isn't much separating the two is crazy. If Hillary won and had control of House and Senate, would we have the tax cuts and de-regulation? There is no way.
I have serious doubts I will see any kind of tax cut.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: They are both full of shit, but to say there isn't much separating the two is crazy. If Hillary won and had control of House and Senate, would we have the tax cuts and de-regulation? There is no way.
I have serious doubts I will see any kind of tax cut.
You get it in your investments. Corporate buybacks trickle down to P/E ratio. Big run in market begins tomorrow.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
You sound just like klam. :coffee:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship wrote:
89Hen wrote: I have serious doubts I will see any kind of tax cut.
You get it in your investments. Corporate buybacks trickle down to P/E ratio. Big run in market begins tomorrow.
Ah yes... :lol:
The legislative achievement that President Trump is most proud of... The tax bill
an enormous gift to wealthy corporate power - and nobody even bothers to debate that fact

And it has the secondary advantage as the Republican leadership was quick to point out
of creating a huge deficit - which can be used as a pretext for getting rid of social spending
We can't afford social programs - we're in the midst of the largest deficit margin since 1776

U.S. social spending is meager by world standards.... (fact)
We’re down at the bottom of the OECD with Greece and Turkey in social benefits spending

Let’s undermine Medicaid, which goes to the undeserving poor
let’s undermine Social Security, which working people just rely on for survival
all because we have to lavish gifts on corporations that are presently hoarding profits at record levels

:geek:

and poor people vote for Trump in droves - it's absolutely fascinating
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: You get it in your investments. Corporate buybacks trickle down to P/E ratio. Big run in market begins tomorrow.
The legislative achievement that President Trump is most proud of... The tax bill
an enormous gift to wealthy corporate power - and nobody even bothers to debate that fact

And it has the secondary advantage as the Republican leadership was quick to point out
of creating a huge deficit - which can be used as a pretext for getting rid of social spending
We can't afford social programs - we're in the midst of the largest deficit margin since 1776

We’re down at the bottom of the OECD with Greece and Turkey in social benefits spending

all because we have to lavish gifts on corporations that are presently hoarding profits at record levels

So just where do you propose to reduce spending, Swami, if you take Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare off the table?
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Ivytalk wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

So just where do you propose to reduce spending, Swami, if you take Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare off the table?
Corporate tax cuts.

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!