Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: Stupid Things Ocasio-Cortez Says: Megathread

Post by mainejeff »

Ibanez wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
Kabuki theater at that. Politics is the last place one goes to for "facts".

Has anybody's opinion every been changed by a Presidential debate? It just seems like the candidates are trying to get a soundbite for their constituents. I would be more impressed if they fielded unscripted questions from the general public then the "debate" questions they have scripted.
I highly doubt it. I'd wager that most viewers have already made up their minds or at the very least, are already leaning towards one party. The debates seem to be merely a formality at this point.
Damn right. I'll never vote Republican again (I voted for GWB the first time! :oops: ).

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Ted Danson did this in 83...........shes another sheep

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

mainejeff wrote:Damn right. I'll never vote Republican again
More proof of your blindness. Not really surprising you're a straight ticket voter.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

89Hen wrote:
mainejeff wrote:Damn right. I'll never vote Republican again
More proof of your blindness. Not really surprising you're a straight ticket voter.
Absolutely! You can take that one to the bank. :thumb:
Go Black Bears!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

mainejeff wrote:
89Hen wrote: More proof of your blindness. Not really surprising you're a straight ticket voter.
I have a guy at work who rails on day after day over the intolerant right and I will never forget him saying he would vote for the worst Dem over the best Rep any day of the week. :lol:
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

89Hen wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
I have a guy at work who rails on day after day over the intolerant right and I will never forget him saying he would vote for the worst Dem over the best Rep any day of the week. :lol:
Sounds like great guy. That's how I feel as well. :thumb:
Go Black Bears!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

mainejeff wrote:
89Hen wrote: I have a guy at work who rails on day after day over the intolerant right and I will never forget him saying he would vote for the worst Dem over the best Rep any day of the week. :lol:
Yeah, we know.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

89Hen wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
Yeah, we know.
Isn't it better to know who the enemy is?

Go Black Bears!
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote:Like, yeah...I know what you mean. :lol:
Baldy wrote::rofl:
Like like...really ya know? :coffee:
Less forgivable when a 70 year old does it...

Cool whataboutism, bro. Maybe you should post it in the "Stupid Things Trump Says" thread.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

mainejeff wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yeah, we know.

Never really thought of anyone here as an enemy. A stuck in the mud, inflexible, propagator of divisiveness.... but not really an enemy.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ibanez wrote:
Baldy wrote::rofl:
Like like...really ya know? :coffee:
We all say stupid things. This isn't any more different than the countless Bushisms or anything that Trump says on a nearly hourly basis via Twitter.

Which, i'm not sure anyone has made the association between Twitter and the first 4 letters in that word: Twit aka a fool. It seems rather appropriate. :coffee:
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... 5#p1227240
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

89Hen wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

Never really thought of anyone here as an enemy. A stuck in the mud, inflexible, propagator of divisiveness.... but not really an enemy.
Exactly, I may disagree with a good many people but they are not my "enemy". Not even sure why you would want to even get into this mindset. It leads down a path that as a country we do not want to go. That people have that mindset and relish in it is a bit worrisome.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Winterborn wrote:
89Hen wrote: Never really thought of anyone here as an enemy. A stuck in the mud, inflexible, propagator of divisiveness.... but not really an enemy.
Exactly, I may disagree with a good many people but they are not my "enemy". Not even sure why you would want to even get into this mindset. It leads down a path that as a country we do not want to go. That people have that mindset and relish in it is a bit worrisome.
Agreed, it leads to knee jerk reactions over the way people look. Instant media has become the biggest curse on our society.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
Agreed, it leads to knee jerk reactions over the way people look. Instant media has become the biggest curse on our society.
Well, biggest curse is a hefty title, but you may not be far from the mark.

I remember back in the day when newspapers started going online and there would be open comments sections. The level of hate, prejudice, ignorance, and just outright vitriol in those comment sections was alarming to say the least. Since people could hide behind anonymous screen names they would say anything without fear of some personal blowback. Some papers just out and out closed off comments as a result since it took so much effort to police them.

But Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Reddit, etc, are so mainstream now that you see the same thing happening as those newspaper comment sections, but now it's just out in the open and even more so, acceptable. Being anonymous isn't even something that's necessary anymore - people will say and post anything even if their name is attached. It would be one thing if these things existed, but part of the problem is that there is little mainstream media that avoids the knee-jerk reactions as they have to compete against these sources for news. To quote Ricky Bobby, "if you're not first, you're last".
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

DCImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Winterborn wrote:
89Hen wrote: Never really thought of anyone here as an enemy. A stuck in the mud, inflexible, propagator of divisiveness.... but not really an enemy.
Why are you worried? President Trump is a big uniter!

Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

89Hen wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
I know, huh. It's hard to do anything in public these days and get away with it!
Go Black Bears!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

mainejeff wrote:
89Hen wrote: Agreed, it leads to knee jerk reactions over the way people look. Instant media has become the biggest curse on our society.
I know, huh. It's hard to do anything in public these days and get away with it!
Especially if you're a white, Christian, heterosexual male in a MAGA hat. Then, even when you do NOTHING wrong you get blamed for it... :nod: :nod: :suspicious:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

AZGrizFan wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
Especially if you're a white, Christian, heterosexual male in a MAGA hat. Then, even when you do NOTHING wrong you get blamed for it... :nod: :nod: :suspicious:
Word!
Go Black Bears!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
If you're wearing a MAGA hat you've done something wrong. It's like wearing a NAZI swastika armband. One does not need more than that to identify you for what you are.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

You wouldnt know a real NAZI if it fell in your boat

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
If you're wearing a MAGA hat you've done something wrong. It's like wearing a NAZI swastika armband. One does not need more than that to identify you for what you are.
You’re letting real nazis off the hook by saying that.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Face it, John. You love Nazis.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Good God you’re an idiot.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
Both of these are spot on as is Gannon's... :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Rogan just had NYT columnist Bari Weiss on the podcast and they had a fantastic conversation about this topic. I highly recommend at least the first 40 minutes.

They talked about the Covington School deal and how so much of the msm has become reactionary to social media on choosing what to report and what is news rather than doing real journalism first to see if something is worthy of reporting on. In the end, nothing newsworthy really happened in that situation.

Both Rogan and Weiss are fairly to sometimes very liberal on certain policies but not rhetorically, yet they both get accused of being alt-right apologists or just plain alt right.

As I've said before, I think we are going through an era of enormous "ism" fatigue.