Stupid Things Ocasio-Cortez Says: Megathread

Political discussions
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: Ocasio-Cortez: The Upper-Middle Class Doesn't Exist Anymore in America

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Doesn't have to be 4-year bachelor's programs.

Tennessee, smack dab in the heart of MAGA country, made community college free. Definitely a step in the right direction. And, led by conservative Republicans. :thumb:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Trade schools too. Hell pay people to go to those.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote:Trade schools too. Hell pay people to go to those.
Well at least you hit on something we need more of. It certainly isn't more Associates degrees. But why not let the related companies and unions pay for it. Why do I have to pay for it and then pay for it when my HVAC system breaks down or water valve springs a leak?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Wanting universal healthcare, better pay, and free education...
78% of my property taxes go to schools. And that only covers through 12th grade. The tax cost for the next 4 years will likely be at least 50% of the tax cost of the first 12 years (so $4k per year will jump to $6k per year - forever). People with 4 and 5 kids are benefiting. People with no kids are getting killed. How much more suffering do you want people with no kids to have to endure? Is that really fair?
One could argue that if we all benefit from an educated population. Better than the alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Doesn't have to be 4-year bachelor's programs.

Tennessee, smack dab in the heart of MAGA country, made community college free. Definitely a step in the right direction. And, led by conservative Republicans. :thumb:
For what purpose, though? What does two more years in a community college get you? It's not a terrible thing, but again, if you don't really need college, is an associates degree really worth it? Why is 14 years of school so much better than 12, and is it worth the price tag? 4 year colleges aren't dumb, if you're going to transfer from a community college to one to finish the degree, either the credits won't transfer and you need to spend more than 2 years there, or the cost will be increased accordingly to not lose that money. In the end, what have we gained?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:

For what purpose, though? What does two more years in a community college get you? It's not a terrible thing, but again, if you don't really need college, is an associates degree really worth it? Why is 14 years of school so much better than 12, and is it worth the price tag? 4 year colleges aren't dumb, if you're going to transfer from a community college to one to finish the degree, either the credits won't transfer and you need to spend more than 2 years there, or the cost will be increased accordingly to not lose that money. In the end, what have we gained?
Unless CC’s have changed since I attended there are all sorts of 2 year - vocationally oriented degrees from book keeping to turf grass management to automotive repair.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:
78% of my property taxes go to schools. And that only covers through 12th grade. The tax cost for the next 4 years will likely be at least 50% of the tax cost of the first 12 years (so $4k per year will jump to $6k per year - forever). People with 4 and 5 kids are benefiting. People with no kids are getting killed. How much more suffering do you want people with no kids to have to endure? Is that really fair?
One could argue that if we all benefit from an educated population. Better than the alternative.

Bullshit

If you want to go to school you pay for it. Im not going to. You earn things you dont get them for free, if that shit starts being the norm I know how I am going to go out.

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:

And I'm one of them. But the workforce does not warrant it. I'm fine with ending at 12th grade. I went to a public high school. There were plenty of people that had no business going to college. Hell, I guess they won't be accepted anyway, but then again, who knows?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:

One could argue that if we all benefit from an educated population.
But that would mean Trump wouldn't be President. Ok. Of course I think that would be consistent with what you said. But understand that a more educated population would probably mean somebody like Trump would never be President.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Unless CC’s have changed since I attended there are all sorts of 2 year - vocationally oriented degrees from book keeping to turf grass management to automotive repair.
Exactly. Community colleges have a wide range of vocational programs. If anything, I bet they've expanded their programs since you attended. :nod:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:
Ibanez wrote: One could argue that if we all benefit from an educated population. Better than the alternative.

Bullshit

If you want to go to school you pay for it. Im not going to. You earn things you dont get them for free, if that shit starts being the norm I know how I am going to go out.
Me being from the great state of Washington, and you from Montana, I’ve pretty much subsidized your education.

Look what good it’s done.... :ohno:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I'm good with that, then. I wasn't up to speed on what you can get in the two year degree from the community college. I like the idea and I would support making that free. I still think it should be a local thing, just like K-12 schooling is. But I'd vote for it in my community.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

I don't think that is the entire story for Tennessee. You have to be an independent student (min. 24 years old), and they pay only the part not covered by scholarships, grants, and aids.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I’m all for free four year college, as long as they can get it in place by September 2023.

And then it needs to run at least seven years.

And then I hope it is determined to be a drain on society and goes away.

So there it is: I support free college education from September 2023 through May 2030. My 8th and 5th graders support this as well.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:I’m all for free four year college, as long as they can get it in place by September 2023.

So there it is: I support free college education from September 2023 through May 2030. My 8th and 5th graders support this as well.
Something tells me you're biased.... :suspicious:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ibanez wrote:
93henfan wrote:I’m all for free four year college, as long as they can get it in place by September 2023.

Something tells me you're biased.... :suspicious:
Wuuuut?

phpBB [video]
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: RE: Re: Ocasio-Cortez: The Upper-Middle Class Doesn't Exist Anymore in America

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

kalm wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:

Bullshit

Me being from the great state of Washington, and you from Montana, I’ve pretty much subsidized your education.

Look what good it’s done.... :ohno:
Mine was all paid for by me.

I agree with your outcome though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

CAA Flagship wrote:

I don't think that is the entire story for Tennessee. You have to be an independent student (min. 24 years old), and they pay only the part not covered by scholarships, grants, and aids.
They recently expanded it to include adults - who have to be considered FAFSA independent. I believe that's what you're referencing

The original from 2014 was for recent high school graduates only.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Free college is perhaps the biggest waste of money I've ever heard. I read an article a long time ago that about 25% of people work in the field in which they study. So 75% basically went to school to have fun and develop their social skills. Now, if you want to make trade schools free... :thumb:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

89Hen wrote:Free college is perhaps the biggest waste of money I've ever heard. I read an article a long time ago that about 25% of people work in the field in which they study. So 75% basically went to school to have fun and develop their social skills. Now, if you want to make trade schools free... :thumb:
I'm not sure but I think that may be a little bit misleading. Like for instance I majored in biology. And I have noted that there are an awful lot of jobs that require something like "30 hours in biology" but the aren't biologists jobs.

I actually had someone talk to me about that recently. They were talking about how somebody's son got an engineering degree and he couldn't qualify for a State job as a Sanitarian because he didn't have enough biology hours.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

CAA Flagship wrote:

There's always the "rest of the story" that has to be clarified with this ding dong when he posts

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: I don't think that is the entire story for Tennessee. You have to be an independent student (min. 24 years old), and they pay only the part not covered by scholarships, grants, and aids.
There's always the "rest of the story" that has to be clarified with this ding dong when he posts

When I hear ding dong I think of:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

JohnStOnge wrote:
89Hen wrote:Free college is perhaps the biggest waste of money I've ever heard. I read an article a long time ago that about 25% of people work in the field in which they study. So 75% basically went to school to have fun and develop their social skills. Now, if you want to make trade schools free... :thumb:
I'm not sure but I think that may be a little bit misleading. Like for instance I majored in biology. And I have noted that there are an awful lot of jobs that require something like "30 hours in biology" but the aren't biologists jobs.
So that would probably fall in the 25% category then.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

NYU just made med school free for current and future students..after planning and saving for almost 10 years.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with there 89 ...
I studied political science and economics and my first job was as an IT systems analyst. While I didn't pursue a position in my field of study, the research, analysis and writing skills that I developed definitely helped me as a systems analyst. My education was valuable and I did not go to school just to have fun. I developed a lot of skills that have been beneficial.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm