Shelter, running water, available food...

Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Shelter, running water, available food...

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
Honestly, to me, it looks like the crisis was associated with a Republican Governor taking control from local government and moving to using water from the Flint river while local authorities were trying to use water from Lake Huron.
Ok let's ignore the question of which party was responsible for creating the situation because it undermines our desire to blame as much as we can on the other party and make sure them look bad.
Responsible or in power?

Dems have been in control of many municipal governments and deserve some blame but what’s your point?

Did I miss the recent Republican push for increased regulation and clean water?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Shelter, running water, available food...

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Ok let's ignore the question of which party was responsible for creating the situation because it undermines our desire to blame as much as we can on the other party and make sure them look bad.
Responsible or in power?

Dems have been in control of many municipal governments and deserve some blame but what’s your point?

If I recall correctly Flint had a perfectly fine source of water before they decided to switch to a new/different source. Seems more like a "user error" issue in Flint...

...but nevermind that, let this thread devolve to where we all know its going...

...JSO ranting about Trump. :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Shelter, running water, available food...

Post by BDKJMU »

Chizzang wrote:Image
Looks like brown and black people don’t like tap water....this map is racist..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Shelter, running water, available food...

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Ok let's ignore the question of which party was responsible for creating the situation because it undermines our desire to blame as much as we can on the other party and make sure them look bad.
Responsible or in power?

Yes Republicans suck on environmental issues in general but we're talking about Flint, Michigan specifically. I haven't done the reasearch but I'm guessing that conks have rarely or not at all had complete control of the Michigan governor's office and legislature. So any failure of the Michigan EPA is not solely a conk responsibility. If there was a statewide issue then Kalamazoo and other cities would also be having problems.

I'm also guessing that Flint has been controlled by donks for quite some time so they own responsibility for allowing the crisis to occur in the first place.

Yes conks own some responsibility for managing the crisis once it did rear it's ugly head but do they have primary responsibility? Was Lake Huron water the answer? I live about 20 miles from Lake Michigan and I'm on village well water. We've been asking for Lake Michigan water for a long time and it was finally approved a couple of years ago. They just started putting in the piping this year so I'm guessing we'll get it in 2020 several years after approval. Huron water might be a viable long term solution but was not immediate.

The other question is should the rest of Michigan be responsible for saving Flint from the consequences of their own mismanagement?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Shelter, running water, available food...

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote:
Responsible or in power?

Yes Republicans suck on environmental issues in general but we're talking about Flint, Michigan specifically. I haven't done the reasearch but I'm guessing that conks have rarely or not at all had complete control of the Michigan governor's office and legislature. So any failure of the Michigan EPA is not solely a conk responsibility. If there was a statewide issue then Kalamazoo and other cities would also be having problems.

I'm also guessing that Flint has been controlled by donks for quite some time so they own responsibility for allowing the crisis to occur in the first place.

Yes conks own some responsibility for managing the crisis once it did rear it's ugly head but do they have primary responsibility? Was Lake Huron water the answer? I live about 20 miles from Lake Michigan and I'm on village well water. We've been asking for Lake Michigan water for a long time and it was finally approved a couple of years ago. They just started putting in the piping this year so I'm guessing we'll get it in 2020 several years after approval. Huron water might be a viable long term solution but was not immediate.

The other question is should the rest of Michigan be responsible for saving Flint from the consequences of their own mismanagement?
FLINT, Mich. (AP) — It’s been more than three years since Flint, Michigan, switched its water source in an effort to save money, which led to a man-made public health crisis embroiling Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder’s administration in scrutiny and criminal charges against a number of public officials. The most serious counts have been levied against Michigan’s top health official and four others, who were charged Wednesday with involuntary manslaughter. Here are some key events surrounding the impoverished city’s lead-tainted water crisis:
https://www.apnews.com/1176657a4b0d468c8f35ddbb07f12bec
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

JohnStOnge wrote:I am a Libertarian that believes in minimizing government to the extent possible. But note that, when you look at the way things are in the United States with respect to availability of things like clean running water, reasonably safe food, etc., that's largely because of the system of government in the United States.
Correction: You are a blue dog democrat.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

andy7171 wrote: Correction: You are a blue dog democrat.
So a guy that has voted Republican his entire life is now a Democrat because he hates Trump

:lol:

and people think the Left has gone insane (and it has) but this is classic knee jerk
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote:
So a guy that has voted Republican his entire life is now a Democrat because he hates Trump

and people think the Left has gone insane (and it has) but this is classic knee jerk
It's not the fact he doesn't like Trump. There's lots of us out here who don't like Trump. It's his unfaltering support of Hildabeast as a "better alternative"....

But you already knew that... :dunce: :dunce:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Chizzang wrote:

I was basing my comment, aside from trolling him, from his 12-20 month carpet eating of the democratic champion of the world.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:One of our own may or may not be involved with providing US aid to developing countries. :whistle:
Goo-Gul
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:One of our own may or may not be involved with providing US aid to developing countries. :whistle:
Goo-Gul
:lol: :lol:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Much like Gil and Kalm’s mom, my mom also grew up without running water, and this was in the city of Louisville. Same neighborhood as Cassius Clay. One of the joys of being the 14th of 14 kids born to an alcoholic washed-up boxer was going outside in February to use the outhouse. They were one of the last white families left in the 60s.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-