Trump announces Brett Kavanaugh as his 2nd SCOTUS nominee.

Political discussions
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Trump announces Brett Kavanaugh as his 2nd SCOTUS nominee.

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
No they're not. They attempting to destroy anyone and anything that doesn't look, act, and think just like they do. THAT, my friend, is fascism.
Is fascism the new con boogeyman, or did I simply miss it on the list of things you bitch about?

But yeah, I'm sorry that they call out people who sexually assault women and kill black people. Damn fascists raising awareness and wanting laws changed. How dare they tell you that rape and murder is wrong!
Whoosh! Right over the young man's head again. :lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

I've got nothing to offer in this thread at this time.
I just want to make sure my siggy gets in another thread.

:kisswink:
Bisonfanatical
Level1
Level1

Re: RE: Re: Trump announces Brett Kavanaugh as his 2nd SCOTUS nominee.

Post by Bisonfanatical »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Is fascism the new con boogeyman, or did I simply miss it on the list of things you bitch about?

But yeah, I'm sorry that they call out people who sexually assault women and kill black people. Damn fascists raising awareness and wanting laws changed. How dare they tell you that rape and murder is wrong!
Whoosh! Right over the young man's head again. Image

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
No they're not. They attempting to destroy anyone and anything that doesn't look, act, and think just like they do. THAT, my friend, is fascism.
Is fascism the new con boogeyman, or did I simply miss it on the list of things you bitch about?

Were it that were all they were doing. :coffee: :coffee:

I've never seen anyone so self-proclaimed "worldly" who can so easily miss the point of a discussion. That elite education ain't treatin' you real good.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Baldy wrote:
Ibanez wrote:Why not say something in 1983?

Why not say something when Brett’s name came up as a potential candidate this Spring?

Why not speak up when he was nominated?

Why not speak up when the hearings began?

Why not speak up when the first accusation came out?

I understand the fear, but this is the #MeToo era. Every allegation should be taken seriously. But, all of this at the 11th hour is suspect and reeks of partisan obfuscation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hrmmm... Really?
I’m not sure if you understood my post.

Or maybe I’m not clear.

I could still be concussed from over the weekend. I haven’t been making sense since Thursday’s accident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AZGrizFan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Is fascism the new con boogeyman, or did I simply miss it on the list of things you bitch about?

I've never seen anyone so self-proclaimed "worldly" who can so easily miss the point of a discussion. That elite education ain't treatin' you real good.
Show me when I've ever proclaimed myself as "worldly." Or where I said I got an "elite" education. :roll:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Show me when I've ever proclaimed myself as "worldly." Or where I said I got an "elite" education. :roll:
Conversely, a lot of us here were born of very modest means and yet you proclaim we've enjoyed some sort of advantage in our lives. You can't really have it both ways.

I know I've worked my balls off to get where I am today, despite competing against minorities in college admissions and in hiring who were most certainly given an advantage over me through affirmative action. It was huge in the 80s and early 90s when I was impacted by it. It may be less of a thing now, but I wouldn't know. All I know is that when I came through, if you were black and could walk and chew bubble gum and fill out a form, you were going to have a much easier time with college admissions, with scholarship awards, and with getting hired than a cracker with a penis. That was just the facts.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

As you know, I do believe in white, and especially male, privilege; I've enjoyed its benefits as well.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging it. It took a lot of reading and explaining from other people, but I see how the US is stacked against people of color, women, and minorities. I also used to think that my hard-work alone got me to where I am but I now see how it was just a part of the equation.

There's a ton of information about it; you know how to use Google. Whether you choose to believe in hundreds-of-thousands of hours in academic research is totally up to you.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Wealth privilege is very real.

White privilege, not so much.

Yes, a higher percentage of whites are wealthy, so the confusion is quite natural.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:Wealth privilege is very real.

Both are very real.

For example, blacks are highly affected from the lack of an inter-generational transfer of wealth compared to whites (who are so far ahead it's not funny). This stems from hundreds of years where whites acquired wealth while institutions were in place to keep black people from truly acquiring it. Some of these institutions are still around today even though they operate in a gray area just outside the law.

Per capita, majority-white schools are given more money and grants than minority-schools.

Historically and presently, blacks and Hispanics are given harsher prison sentences than whites for the exact same crimes. They're also stopped/hassled more frequently. This is true for both men and women.

To this day, programs (especially in high-paying STEM careers) are geared and promoted towards men, and pregnancies in any career can set a woman back. And let's not even talk about sexual assaults, which 20% of American women will experience...many with long-term psychological effects which affect them.

White men until recently also vastly made up the military...and all the benefits post-service of. It was - and still is - an ol' boys network of mostly white men. Women/gay people barely received a chance to use the military to build up their careers and benefit from it afterwards.

Of course the biggie is the Government which for the longest time, and even today, lacks adequate perspectives from a diverse pool of people when it makes policies.

And the examples go on...
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:White men until recently also vastly made up the military...and all the benefits post-service of. It was - and still is - an ol' boys network of mostly white men. Women/gay people barely received a chance to use the military to build up their careers and benefit from it afterwards.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Military = BAD when it comes to spending, good old boys network, racist, sexist, bigots, warmongers
Military = GOOD all the supposed post-service benefits

Make up your fucking mind. Here's the facts: White people are UNDERREPRESENTED in the U.S. Military. Only 70% of the military is white, whereas 78% of the US population is white. I'm shocked you don't stand by the old standard "we're making the black kids go fight our wars for us" line...Now your next line is gonna be "yeah, but all the officers are white". NOPE. Whites comprise 78% of the officer corps, EXACTLY representative of the white population. Since 1995, the % of minority officers has increased from 10.5% to 22%. Trust me, the military has become less about war fighting capability and more about being a fucking social experiment in the last 20 years.

So, about these poor women & gay people...they don't get to participate in all those "post-service" benefits"? What do they want? To experience war? IEDs? PTSD? Losing limbs? Seeing buddies die? Getting shot at? Long separations from family? Shitty equipment? Shitty living quarters? Crappy food? Shitty pay? Ugly uniforms? Asshole bosses? Shitty VA medical "care"? 1% raises? Government red tape? Yee fucking haw....I got to experience most of that shit for the whopping $2,750 retirement pay check I don't get unless I live to see 60. Be careful what you ask for.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Life is not fair. No matter what regulations you pass, it will still not be fair. Yes, in the past white privilege existed but to punish people who had nothing to do with those times in an attempt to atone for something is not fair to those individuals and in my mind cheapens the individuals you are trying to help. Because all they learn is that if they blame somebody else, they can get some temporary compensation. And that is what regulations due, take from or hinder somebody, to give to somebody else. It just creates inequality and resentment in a different area. In this country we all have the freedom to better ourselves, whether people do is up to those individuals. When you quit blaming others and focus on bettering oneself in spite of the past, that is when the real progress can be made.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

∞∞∞ wrote:

Both are very real.

For example, blacks are highly affected from the lack of an inter-generational transfer of wealth compared to whites (who are so far ahead it's not funny). This stems from hundreds of years where whites acquired wealth while institutions were in place to keep black people from truly acquiring it. Some of these institutions are still around today even though they operate in a gray area just outside the law.

Per capita, majority-white schools are given more money and grants than minority-schools.

Historically and presently, blacks and Hispanics are given harsher prison sentences than whites for the exact same crimes. They're also stopped/hassled more frequently. This is true for both men and women.

To this day, programs (especially in high-paying STEM careers) are geared and promoted towards men, and pregnancies in any career can set a woman back. And let's not even talk about sexual assaults, which 20% of American women will experience...many with long-term psychological effects which affect them.

White men until recently also vastly made up the military...and all the benefits post-service of. It was - and still is - an ol' boys network of mostly white men. Women/gay people barely received a chance to use the military to build up their careers and benefit from it afterwards.

Of course the biggie is the Government which for the longest time, and even today, lacks adequate perspectives from a diverse pool of people when it makes policies.

Who commits the higher percentage of crime?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Winterborn wrote:Life is not fair. No matter what regulations you pass, it will still not be fair. Yes, in the past white privilege existed but to punish people who had nothing to do with those times in an attempt to atone for something is not fair to those individuals and in my mind cheapens the individuals you are trying to help. Because all they learn is that if they blame somebody else, they can get some temporary compensation. And that is what regulations due, take from or hinder somebody, to give to somebody else. It just creates inequality and resentment in a different area. In this country we all have the freedom to better ourselves, whether people do is up to those individuals. When you quit blaming others and focus on bettering oneself in spite of the past, that is when the real progress can be made.
The true definition of fair: A baseball hit between the 2 white foul lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

No one is saying it should be punished, but the existence of white male privilege should be acknowledged.

And yes, life is unfair. Thus why movements like BLM and #MeToo are important. We shouldn't just say, "oh well."
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:

Both are very real.

Aren't more than half of the folks living below the poverty threshold white? I don't think they're getting the most out of their privilege. Wealth privilege seems to trump everything else. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Anyways I'm done with this sidetrack. The statistics, research, and other information is out there and explains it better than I ever can...your choice to believe it or ignore. But Kavanaugh hearings are a good example of it though.

10 white men that will truly have the power to judge a white man, nominated by a white man.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Anyways I'm done with this sidetrack. The statistics, research, and other information is out there and explains it better than I ever can...your choice to believe it or ignore. But Kavanaugh hearings are a good example of it though.

10 white men that will truly have the power to judge a white man, nominated by a white man.
That's his only chance at a fair trial in 2018.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Anyways I'm done with this sidetrack. The statistics, research, and other information is out there and explains it better than I ever can...your choice to believe it or ignore. But Kavanaugh hearings are a good example of it though.

That's his only chance at a fair trial in 2018.
:nod: :nod: :nod: :ohno:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Anyways I'm done with this sidetrack.
Good choice when you're getting your ass handed to you. :coffee: :coffee:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

∞∞∞ wrote:No one is saying it should be punished, but the existence of white male privilege should be acknowledged.

And yes, life is unfair. Thus why movements like BLM and #MeToo are important. We shouldn't just say, "oh well."
Acknowledged by who? I believe it happened and I know most halfway intelligent people admit it happened, isn't that enough? Would a letter singed by every white person in the U.S. be enough of an acknowledgement? At some point you just have to build a bridge and get over the past.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Winterborn wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:No one is saying it should be punished, but the existence of white male privilege should be acknowledged.

Acknowledged by who? I believe it happened and I know most halfway intelligent people admit it happened, isn't that enough? Would a letter singed by every white person in the U.S. be enough of an acknowledgement? At some point you just have to build a bridge and get over the past.
Nope. They won't stop until they can force retribution against people who had no part in it. That's why this country is doomed.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:

Both are very real.
What do you think about college admission? Two students, identical grades and test scores, same extras, etc.. one white, one minority... who has the better shot at getting in? I know the answer.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Both are very real.
What do you think about college admission? Two students, identical grades and test scores, same extras, etc.. one white, one minority... who has the better shot at getting in? I know the answer.
We both know the answer, because we've both lived it. I can give multiple specific examples from my high school class.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

89Hen wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Both are very real.
Private or public?