Trump announces Brett Kavanaugh as his 2nd SCOTUS nominee.

Political discussions
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: Trump announces Brett Kavanaugh as his 2nd SCOTUS nominee.

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ivytalk wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: So, after Princeton and Yale, how far down the list is Harvard? :coffee:
South of Columbia, but north of Penn and Cornell. :coffee:
So Dart Mouth and Brown are at the bottom. Got it. :thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: South of Columbia, but north of Penn and Cornell. :coffee:
So Dart Mouth and Brown are at the bottom. Got it. :thumb:
No. They are also north of Penn and Cornell, but south of Harvard.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: So Dart Mouth and Brown are at the bottom. Got it. :thumb:
I think you just need to list them out.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Ibanez wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: No. They are also north of Penn and Cornell, but south of Harvard.
I think you just need to list them out.
And for you to take a simple geography class. :mrgreen:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

andy7171 wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I think you just need to list them out.
And for you to take a simple geography class. :mrgreen:
What does math have to do with this? :suspicious:

Spoiler: show
I see the thinly, veiled geography joke.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:“Yale College”?
Isn’t this the guy that has Repeatedly said he’d uphold Roe v Wade?
Ibanez wrote:
I know- I’ve just never heard anyone say it. It’s always been Yale University
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-4.

And to your 2nd question, he never said that.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
Ibanez wrote:“Yale College”?
Isn’t this the guy that has Repeatedly said he’d uphold Roe v Wade?
Ibanez wrote: I know- I’ve just never heard anyone say it. It’s always been Yale University
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-4.

Are you sure???? I thought he said it was settled law.
@SenSchumer: "Do you consider Roe v. Wade to be an abomination?"

Brett Kavanaugh: "If confirmed to the D.C. Circuit, I would follow Roe v. Wade faithfully and fully. That would be binding precedent of the Court. It's been decided by the Supreme Court.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
10-4.

Are you sure???? I thought he said it was settled law.
@SenSchumer: "Do you consider Roe v. Wade to be an abomination?"

Brett Kavanaugh: "If confirmed to the D.C. Circuit, I would follow Roe v. Wade faithfully and fully. That would be binding precedent of the Court. It's been decided by the Supreme Court.
Well, then someone needs to go tell the left who are in a frenzy now claiming that Kavanaugh will vote to overturn Roe v Wade..
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Short guy with glasses in the front row above Melania's boobie is the priest that married Mrs89 amd me. 8-)

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

A little curious about this stare decisis since its brought up every time there a new SCOTUS nominee. How many decisions have been overturned, what the average time period is between a the overruled decision & overruling decisions. Unless a lot of these are listed more than once, its happened at least 90 times, with the time period ranging from a year to 136 years, the avg being about 30 years. Course most of these are cases most people outside of attorneys/affected parties have heard about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... _decisions

But this is 90+ out of how many thousands going back to 1790. So only around 1%-2%?of decisions are overturned?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Trump announces Brett Kavanaugh as his 2nd SCOTUS nominee.

Post by UNI88 »

Ivytalk wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: So Dart Mouth and Brown are at the bottom. Got it. :thumb:
Unless you're talking about practical degrees like engineering and then SUNY Cornell moves to the top of the list right?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:Short guy with glasses in the front row above Melania's boobie is the priest that married Mrs89 amd me. 8-)

Dude, you're Establishment!!! :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Dude, you're Establishment!!! :rofl:
:lol: The man is a machine...
Father John, as he is widely known, has been serving as a Catholic priest in the Washington, DC area for the past 44 years. In that span, he has presided over 2,000 weddings, over 1,000 funerals and over 4,000 baptisms.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote:A little curious about this stare decisis since its brought up every time there a new SCOTUS nominee. How many decisions have been overturned, what the average time period is between a the overruled decision & overruling decisions. Unless a lot of these are listed more than once, its happened at least 90 times, with the time period ranging from a year to 136 years, the avg being about 30 years. Course most of these are cases most people outside of attorneys/affected parties have heard about.

But this is 90+ out of how many thousands going back to 1790. So only around 1%-2%?of decisions are overturned?
I don't like it at all. To me a Supreme Court Justice should look at the Constitution and make an honest effort to apply it according to what it says in English along with an honest effort to consider how those who ratified the language understood it. To me previous court decisions should have zero weight. The Justice should always be looking strictly at what the language says in English and how people of the time likely understood it.

We're supposed to be governed by the Constitution; not by previous Supreme Courts.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:A little curious about this stare decisis since its brought up every time there a new SCOTUS nominee. How many decisions have been overturned, what the average time period is between a the overruled decision & overruling decisions. Unless a lot of these are listed more than once, its happened at least 90 times, with the time period ranging from a year to 136 years, the avg being about 30 years. Course most of these are cases most people outside of attorneys/affected parties have heard about.

I don't like it at all. To me a Supreme Court Justice should look at the Constitution and make an honest effort to apply it according to what it says in English along with an honest effort to consider how those who ratified the language understood it. To me previous court decisions should have zero weight. The Justice should always be looking strictly at what the language says in English and how people of the time likely understood it.

We're supposed to be governed by the Constitution; not by previous Supreme Courts.
Then Kavanaugh should be your guy. :coffee: Assuming you’re not blowing smoke out your ass.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Dude, you're Establishment!!! :rofl:
:lol: The man is a machine...
Father John, as he is widely known, has been serving as a Catholic priest in the Washington, DC area for the past 44 years. In that span, he has presided over 2,000 weddings, over 1,000 funerals and over 4,000 baptisms.

This priest has certainly kept busy, guess it is kind of cool to be married by a mini celeb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote:

Well, something we agree on.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:

Your first mistake is in hoping lawyers deal in plain English or common sense. Too many of them do not.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Seems like today's beef with Kavanaugh is his first name.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/you-loo ... -frat-boy/
The reproductive rights advocacy group NARAL was mocked by conservatives on Wednesday for calling Judge Brett Kavanaugh, who was picked as President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee on Monday, a “frat boy.”

“We’ll be DAMNED if we’re going to let five MEN—including some frat boy named Brett—strip us of our hard-won bodily autonomy and reproductive rights,” tweeted the national NARAL account last night.
Not a good day for you pro-choicers. :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

And the young millennial punks at Yale Law School are hyperventilating about an alumnus that has forgotten more constitutional law than they’ll ever learn.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote:I was hoping Trump would have went with the most conservative of the bunch, not because I agree with that ideology, but because that would have ensured the most entertaining leftist meltdown...oh well, there will always be that chance when RBG kicks the bucket.

Oh and elections have consequences. :coffee:
Kennedy gets one of his boys on the court and Kennedy's son, currently under investigation for laundering Russian money through Deutschbank, gets a pardon. The deal was done long ago, try to keep up. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote:

Bullshit.

SCOTUS is just a crooked as the other two branches of our so-called government. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote:
SDHornet wrote:I was hoping Trump would have went with the most conservative of the bunch, not because I agree with that ideology, but because that would have ensured the most entertaining leftist meltdown...oh well, there will always be that chance when RBG kicks the bucket.

Kennedy gets one of his boys on the court and Kennedy's son, currently under investigation for laundering Russian money through Deutschbank, gets a pardon. The deal was done long ago, try to keep up. :coffee:
Whatever you say there Exspandspanos...
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote:

Somebody's getting desperate. :lol:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:

You have a pretty sensitive corruption radar for a Clinton supporter

That said, you might want to avoid getting your conspiracy theories from the Center for American Progress. It makes you look like the lefty equivalent of some Trumpy Tennessee Trailer Trash

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... edirect=on

:coffee:
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris