The Worstest Generation?

Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: The Worstest Generation?

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:Just a side observation: At least in the public sector, it has been nice being a member of Gen X. Though delayed a couple of years due to the Great Recession, massive waves of Boomers have retired in the past ten years, Millenials are too wet behind the ear to lead yet, so there is a large void of mid to upper management, so a Gen X'er who can walk and chew bubble gum can pretty much waltz to whatever job they seek. Plus, we had an advantage in that there were plenty of Boomer mentors to teach us our trade well.
I’ve noticed this as well. I’ve learned a lot from the old GenXers and am fortunate that I’m an older millennial and have grown up with Gen Xers. I’ve noticed the younger millennial at work are too immature and idealistic. I’m not sure if it’s ignorance or what but the younger ones seem to hand no concept about how the world actually works. They can’t reconcile idealism with reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

93henfan wrote:Just a side observation: At least in the public sector, it has been nice being a member of Gen X. Though delayed a couple of years due to the Great Recession, massive waves of Boomers have retired in the past ten years, Millenials are too wet behind the ear to lead yet, so there is a large void of mid to upper management, so a Gen X'er who can walk and chew bubble gum can pretty much waltz to whatever job they seek. Plus, we had an advantage in that there were plenty of Boomer mentors to teach us our trade well.
That seems to apply to the private sector as from what I’ve observed.

What’s interesting is you can rewrite that entire thing as “management and leadership positions were handed to generating x employees that weren’t qualified. These people still hold those positions and millennials are less willing to accept status quo for the sake of status quo like older generations and are unhappy being lead by those who likely aren’t qualified to actually lead. Which then gets taken as being ungrateful about having to put in time to earn a promotion or pay.”

Which, interestingly, backs up almost all the SHRM/P research that’s been done over the last decade or so.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, I realize, but that’s 100% what I ran into at the place I was previously at. The people, all in their 50s, in leadership and management positions were only there because they had been with the company for 15 years or more. They weren’t qualified to lead. They were horrific leaders. They were leading the company straight into shutting down branches and hemorrhaging money like crazy. Why? They were nothing other than service techs hired to be in house advisors to contractors hey could sell services too. They were nothing other than guys who were nothin more the glorified inside, or outside, salesmen. They had no leadership/management ability. They got jobs through attrition. Simply being good at a job doesn’t qualify one to lead that job/company.

What happens is millennials, like myself, see that and push back to initiate change that could help. More often than not that is seen as us being entitled and not “getting it”. Again, research is overwhelming that older generations are overwhelming one against change, especially when spurred from millennials.

There are for sure many shit millennials. No question. It’s just interesting to actually look
At the research on topics like this.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Idealism isn't a bad thing.

Just because something is reality, it doesn't mean something better shouldn't be reality. Idealism is a strong counterbalance to stagnation and apathy, and often spurs important changes.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ibanez wrote:
I’ve noticed this as well. I’ve learned a lot from the old GenXers and am fortunate that I’m an older millennial and have grown up with Gen Xers. I’ve noticed the younger millennial at work are too immature and idealistic. I’m not sure if it’s ignorance or what but the younger ones seem to hand no concept about how the world actually works. They can’t reconcile idealism with reality.

On the other hand, I've had millennials as supervisors and had not problem with that. I'm still going against the grain, and stating it's not generational, there are many, many exceptions to the rules and the research on how people from each generation acts in the work place. I don't look at what 1 millennial says as being the norm for all, same with Gen x and Boomers. I've seen hard workers, people open to change, and good leaders at every level and job I've been associated with. I've also see normal workers and crappy workers from each of these so called generations.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
kalm wrote:
The entitlement mentality started (at least) during the golden age when those greedy workers and farmers became suspicious of some of these mansion popping up as well as New York bankers. That part culminated in the rise of chautauquas and Teddy Roosevelt's Square Deal. His cousin followed through.

Who did the working poor back then and today's youth learn this sense of greed from anyway? They shouldn't crave high paying jobs and wealth until they're at least 40!
I'm not exactly sure of what you're saying. But the chronic fiscal problems of this country are associated with decisions made by the "greatest generation." It wasn't the baby boomers.

The baby boomers aren't the ones who established the concept of government being responsible for ensuring the well being of each individual as opposed to having a system whereby each individual has a CHANCE to ensure their own well being. Maybe they would have had it not been done by a previous generation. But it WAS done by a previous generation.
The idea of entitlements aka your favorite, “egalitarianism” were established long before FDR and the Greatest Generation. Teddy Roosevelt talked about controlling greed, conservation for future generations, honest pay for honest work, the ability to retire with dignity etc long before. It was mainly a reaction to the robber Barron’s and the Guilded Age. IIRC, even Lincoln talked about labor preceding capital.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

And the whole of Thomas Paine's "Agrarian Justice."

http://piketty.pse.ens.fr/files/Paine1795.pdf
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
kalm wrote:
The entitlement mentality started (at least) during the golden age when those greedy workers and farmers became suspicious of some of these mansion popping up as well as New York bankers. That part culminated in the rise of chautauquas and Teddy Roosevelt's Square Deal. His cousin followed through.

Who did the working poor back then and today's youth learn this sense of greed from anyway? They shouldn't crave high paying jobs and wealth until they're at least 40!
I'm not exactly sure of what you're saying. But the chronic fiscal problems of this country are associated with decisions made by the "greatest generation." It wasn't the baby boomers.

The baby boomers aren't the ones who established the concept of government being responsible for ensuring the well being of each individual as opposed to having a system whereby each individual has a CHANCE to ensure their own well being. Maybe they would have had it not been done by a previous generation. But it WAS done by a previous generation.

The greatest generation had one huge major flaw, many of them failed to impart the values they had to their children.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote:Idealism isn't a bad thing.

Just because something is reality, it doesn't mean something better shouldn't be reality. Idealism is a strong counterbalance to stagnation and apathy, and often spurs important changes.
I agree. There's nothing wrong with being idealistic. As long as all factors are considered.
I laugh when I hear someone say, as a negative, that another person is "opinionated". I'm OK with opinionated people. It tells me that they are, at least, trying to think. I have met too many people that don't think enough. They just go through life reacting to their emotions.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

CAA Flagship wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Idealism isn't a bad thing.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with being idealistic. As long as all factors are considered.
I laugh when I hear someone say, as a negative, that another person is "opinionated". I'm OK with opinionated people. It tells me that they are, at least, trying to think. I have met too many people that don't think enough. They just go through life reacting to their emotions.
Agreed.

I’d change one thing you said though.

I'm OK with people with educated opinions. It tells me that they are, at least, trying to think

The difference between an opinion and educated opinion (even if flawed or wrong) is large.

andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

If Football hadn’t gotten me into college, I would have gone to work for my JV coach who owned his own plumbing company. And now 30 some years later would own my own company and
Make 3X what I am now.

Did trip really blame boomers for holding onto property they own?? Really??

"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

The idea of entitlements aka your favorite, “egalitarianism” were established long before FDR and the Greatest Generation. Teddy Roosevelt talked about controlling greed, conservation for future generations, honest pay for honest work, the ability to retire with dignity etc long before. It was mainly a reaction to the robber Barron’s and the Guilded Age. IIRC, even Lincoln talked about labor preceding capital.
That's fine. It wasn't the Baby Boomers. But in terms of actually establishing the entitlement State I think that can be pegged to the FDR era. That's when it started in earnest.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

clenz wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: I agree. There's nothing wrong with being idealistic. As long as all factors are considered.
Agreed.

I’d change one thing you said though.

I'm OK with people with educated opinions. It tells me that they are, at least, trying to think

The difference between an opinion and educated opinion (even if flawed or wrong) is large.

Yes.
Well it's a 3 tiered thing.
1. Educated Opinion
2. Opinion
3. Huh?

I was just comparing 2 and 3.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote: It's insanity when older people have homes, and multiple at that, that they don't need anymore...while people who actually want to start families can't afford them. And for what? You're gonna collectively fuck over a generation (or three) of Americans to make a buck? As if the student debts, lower wages, and borrowing money against their future wasn't enough?
Now let's think this through.
Retired Wall Street guy who lives in NJ, has a house in Florida and a place in Vail.
Is he really preventing anyone from buying a house? His interest in those homes created work for many construction and manufacturing workers. Also, he is likely paying taxes on all three while not having kids of public school age. That is pure gravy for each town.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gen X here.

We're the last best hope. The bridge between the greedy old Boomers and the pussy Millennials.

We're the last generation with a sense of humor and the last generation to play outside like real kids.

When we clean this shit up, you can thank us then.

Not sure, but I think someone else posted this article on here awhile ago.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/0 ... -best-hope
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

A vanity fair article from a fiction writer that spends more time writing about Chris Pratt and Margot Robbie than actually researching the social and social psychology behind generations as a source of reliable opinion?

I mean....

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: The Worstest Generation?

Post by SeattleGriz »

clenz wrote:A vanity fair article from a fiction writer that spends more time writing about Chris Pratt and Margot Robbie than actually researching the social and social psychology behind generations as a source of reliable opinion?

I mean....

You're not a Gen Xer, you wouldn't understand. Lol
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SeattleGriz wrote:
clenz wrote:A vanity fair article from a fiction writer that spends more time writing about Chris Pratt and Margot Robbie than actually researching the social and social psychology behind generations as a source of reliable opinion?

I mean....

You're not a Gen Xer, you wouldn't understand. Lol
Of being a Gen Xer means I need to think and act like my two older half sisters (born in the mid 70s) I’m fucking glad I’m not.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

clenz wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:You're not a Gen Xer, you wouldn't understand. Lol
Of being a Gen Xer means I need to think and act like my two older half sisters (born in the mid 70s) I’m fucking glad I’m not.

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

phpBB [video]
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

clenz wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:You're not a Gen Xer, you wouldn't understand. Lol

Don't get me going.
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: The Worstest Generation?

Post by SeattleGriz »

SeattleGriz wrote:
clenz wrote: Of being a Gen Xer means I need to think and act like my two older half sisters (born in the mid 70s) I’m fucking glad I’m not.

Don't get me going sister. The bull finally went to sleep. Don't wake him
Due to your shitty attitude, I now have tickets to shame your team (more), when they come to Missoula.
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote:
That seems to apply to the private sector as from what I’ve observed.

What’s interesting is you can rewrite that entire thing as “management and leadership positions were handed to generating x employees that weren’t qualified. These people still hold those positions and millennials are less willing to accept status quo for the sake of status quo like older generations and are unhappy being lead by those who likely aren’t qualified to actually lead. Which then gets taken as being ungrateful about having to put in time to earn a promotion or pay.”

Which, interestingly, backs up almost all the SHRM/P research that’s been done over the last decade or so.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, I realize, but that’s 100% what I ran into at the place I was previously at. The people, all in their 50s, in leadership and management positions were only there because they had been with the company for 15 years or more. They weren’t qualified to lead. They were horrific leaders. They were leading the company straight into shutting down branches and hemorrhaging money like crazy. Why? They were nothing other than service techs hired to be in house advisors to contractors hey could sell services too. They were nothing other than guys who were nothin more the glorified inside, or outside, salesmen. They had no leadership/management ability. They got jobs through attrition. Simply being good at a job doesn’t qualify one to lead that job/company.

What happens is millennials, like myself, see that and push back to initiate change that could help. More often than not that is seen as us being entitled and not “getting it”. Again, research is overwhelming that older generations are overwhelming one against change, especially when spurred from millennials.

There are for sure many shit millennials. No question. It’s just interesting to actually look
Perception is everything. In EVERY company in America, there’s a whole host of millennials who are just CERTAIN they’re better leaders than the people above them. Fucking know-it-alls who, if the idiots would just get out of the way, would have the company humming along in NO time, right? What is it about millennials that makes them just certain they know more about leadership and leading than anybody? As a late boomer who’s been in leadership positions for the past 28 years, it gets real old. And it’s RAMPANT.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: It's insanity when older people have homes, and multiple at that, that they don't need anymore...while people who actually want to start families can't afford them. And for what? You're gonna collectively fuck over a generation (or three) of Americans to make a buck? As if the student debts, lower wages, and borrowing money against their future wasn't enough?
Now let's think this through.
Retired Wall Street guy who lives in NJ, has a house in Florida and a place in Vail.
Is he really preventing anyone from buying a house? His interest in those homes created work for many construction and manufacturing workers. Also, he is likely paying taxes on all three while not having kids of public school age. That is pure gravy for each town.
Trip would buy that Vail home in a heartbeat if the guy would just give it to him for 1/20 of its value! :rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: You don't think millennials realize that? :?

Roommates are fine; I did that too. But when you're 30-35, can maybe afford to have one child, and an actual home is laughably out of reach for a large percentage of the generation...you have an issue.

The amount of real estate Boomers own is actually ridiculous. And worse is that they're holding on to them even as they age, increasing the rent on people, and driving prices up in general:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/housings-b ... ownsizing/

It's insanity when older people have homes, and multiple at that, that they don't need anymore...while people who actually want to start families can't afford them. And for what? You're gonna collectively **** over a generation (or three) of Americans to make a buck? As if the student debts, lower wages, and borrowing money against their future wasn't enough?
What irritates me are these construction companies that aren't building enough entry level homes. Take that, with investors buying up the entry level homes and upgrading them beyond the reach of the school teacher or fire fighter making $35k/yr.

And notice I said, "homes" and not "houses." That was intentional.
Not disagreeing with the premise of your post, just pointing out for FWIW any school teacher making 35k a year is going to be entry level, or close to, mostly in their 20s, in lower paying states. Not really the person we should be concerned with not being able to afford a entry level home.

The national median is more like 55k+ a year.
https://www1.salary.com/Public-School-T ... alary.html
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-train ... achers.htm.
With some supplementing during the summer (summer classes or other jobs), the national median total income is probably closer to 60k. I would assume national median total income for 1st responders is in a similar 55k-60k range.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
clenz wrote: That seems to apply to the private sector as from what I’ve observed.

Perception is everything. In EVERY company in America, there’s a whole host of millennials who are just CERTAIN they’re better leaders than the people above them. Fucking know-it-alls who, if the idiots would just get out of the way, would have the company humming along in NO time, right? What is it about millennials that makes them just certain they know more about leadership and leading than anybody? As a late boomer who’s been in leadership positions for the past 28 years, it gets real old. And it’s RAMPANT.
This is somewhat true. An example:

The other night, I got involved in a conversation about clubfitting with a newbie on my staff and a kid who used to work for me, is a current season pass holder and member, and currently works at an off-course retailer. He's also a really good player with some potential to make money as a mini-tour pro or perhaps beyond.

Anyhoo, I gave my two cents about the importance of lie angle to my staff member and how it's under appreciated. Ended the conversation, didn't think twice about it. I knew where the 2nd kid worked but didn't realize he'd gone to seminars and classes on club fitting and following the tour as an equipment guy was a back up plan if a playing career didn't work out.

I go home and a short while later, he literally pulls up to my house and asks if we could talk. He was shaking with anger. His beef was that I made him look bad in front of someone he was working with and (reading between the lines) might be a potential customer for him. I had no clue he was that involved with club fitting, just figured he was a retail clerk who mostly sold balls, gloves, and tees.

I put on kid gloves, but had to break to him that we were at MY facility, that it was MY employee we were talking to, we are a direct competitor with his shop, he's never asked for permission to push sales at my course, and that IMO, the only person truly qualified to fit golf clubs is a PGA Professional ( I don't think he liked that)

None of this occurred to him. He simply felt he knew more about equipment and was entitled to sell shit at my course without asking.

To loop this back in, he's kind of like the boomers still feeling entitled to social security after they've ran up the debt for future generations. :mrgreen: