Political discussions
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Hey, CID!

Post by Ivytalk »

The Estonia job is open. :thumb:

Beautiful, friendly, high-tech country. Estonians invented Skype. Mrs. Ivy and I have been there.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Hey, CID!

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:The Estonia job is open. :thumb:

Beautiful, friendly, high-tech country. Estonians invented Skype. Mrs. Ivy and I have been there.
I’m just waiting for it to come up on my bid list! Anywhere in the Baltic States would be fine by me.

Some of the best fly fishing in the world in Estonia too
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:The Estonia job is open. :thumb:

I’m just waiting for it to come up on my bid list! Anywhere in the Baltic States would be fine by me.

You fly fish?

If so, which of your posts had the best?

Which one was surprisingly good?

I’ve heard there’s some great small stream fishing in NC?

I nerd out over both fly fishing and geography. :ugeek:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

You fly fish?

No fly fishing in any post I’ve been at so far....

But the Baltics, Mongolia, Argentina and Slovenia are all on my radar

Estonia has huge browns and a long mayfly bloom
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:
You fly fish?

No fly fishing in any post I’ve been at so far....

But the Baltics, Mongolia, Argentina and Slovenia are all on my radar

Estonia has huge browns and a long mayfly bloom
Oh hell yeah on any of those places. The marble trout and the rivers along the Adriatic are especially intriguing to me for some reason.

At the bottom of the Wiki page for marble trout is a list with hyper links to "trout and char of the world". It's a rabbit hole for me. :thumb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmo_marmoratus
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CID1990 wrote:

Curious on how does that work? Never worked for the government, so have no idea on the process or what is involved.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Winterborn wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Curious on how does that work? Never worked for the government, so have no idea on the process or what is involved.
Careful there
CID insists he isn't a government employee...

:geek:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

You fly fish?

I’m about to head to the NC mountains for a week and do some fishing. My in laws have a cabin with a waterfall and stream in the front with plenty of fish. It’s pretty dang sweet.

I’m trying fly fishing for the first time- any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Are you just fishing the in-laws' stream? Does it have a lot of tree cover? You might be fighting a lot of tangles and snags if it's your first time.

Whereabout will you be? Any decent sized rivers you could get to?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Hey, CID!

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Are you just fishing the in-laws' stream? Does it have a lot of tree cover? You might be fighting a lot of tangles and snags if it's your first time.

Whereabout will you be? Any decent sized rivers you could get to?
Just in stream. Caught 3 large trout 2 weeks ago. There’s a small bridge not far down that is a great spot for bream.

there’s cover near the waterfall but once it settles, you’re good. One bank is mostly shrubs and bushes. There are some trees but not enough to impede. It’s an old fishing cabin that was purchased from 4 guys that did nothing but fish there - to include fly fishing.

We’re in the Wolf Mountain area (not terribly far from Cullowee.)

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
Careful there

WUT?

I don’t
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Careful there

WUT?

I don’t
ahem... *cough
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Hey, CID!

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
WUT?

I don’t
ahem... *cough
Yes I regularly deny being employed by the government

:dunce:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote:
kalm wrote:
You fly fish?

I’m about to head to the NC mountains for a week and do some fishing. My in laws have a cabin with a waterfall and stream in the front with plenty of fish. It’s pretty dang sweet.

Will there be any fly fishermen there to help you? Are you borrowing gear? If not, spend the dough on a guide for at least a half day to teach you how to cast and line management. Or see if anyone in the area offers casting instruction.

Otherwise...

With fly fishing, you're casting the fly line, not the lure. You get the line all the way behind you first before the forward motion. This requires patience, tempo, and a shorter back and forth motion than you think. The most common mistake for newbs is being too fast with their casting motion and allowing the rod (always call it a rod, no self respecting angler calls it a pole) to go too far back. The old "four count rhythm between 10:00 and 2:00 from A River Runs Through It is actually quite accurate.

phpBB [video]

As implied above, always check the area behind you before you chuck so that you have enough room for your back cast. Be prepared to get the fly and line caught up in streamside vegetation...a lot. It's part of the game.

Flies: There's a little bit of difference between EC(b) and WC(b) hatches but common dry fly patterns like a Parachute Adams and Elk Hair Caddis (sizes 10-16 for small streams) should do fine anywhere and there's a reason they're popular.

Since 90% of what a trout eats is below the surface, nymphs and streamers (wet flies) tend to be the best options and you don't have to worry about presentation and how it floats on the surface. Two of the best nymphs are the Pheasant Tail, and Hare's Ear. Depending on size, they can mimic several different species of bugs. Streamers give an impression of a juvenile crawdad or minnow, or are buggy and colorful enough to piss a fish off and elicit a strike.

Once you get decent at casting,a dry fly and dropper rig is the ticket much of the time. Fish will hit the dry but it also acts as a strike indicator for when a fish takes the nymph.

You want to cast upstream as much as possible. Trout tend to face the direction the current is coming from as that's their food conveyor belt. If you are upstream of the fish they are looking in your direction and will either spook or not bite. Look for pools, depth, undercut banks, and eddies (keep in mind with eddies that if the water is big enough trout can face any direction as the water swirls). Trout like cool water, oxygenated water, cover from predation above, and food. Look for fishy places that offer these things.

Quartering your cast upstream is fine but if you can find a good pool or deep run where you can cast from directly below a fishy looking spot you can get quite close to the fish, cast just above them and let the fly naturally float into their zone of vision.

There is so much more to it (matching a specific hatch vs. impressionistic patterns, mending a floating line, gear etc) but baby steps and patience are important.

If there are any nearby ponds with bass and other spiny rays, that's a great place to practice your casting before you tackle the stream. Small bass poppers are wind resistant and stay in the air a little bit longer plus there's less emphasis on a "quiet presentation". Splash a popper down near a bass and you'll typically get a strike.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

I am taking my pole out to the Missouri today

Rapala F11 #SlayinIt

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I’m about to head to the NC mountains for a week and do some fishing. My in laws have a cabin with a waterfall and stream in the front with plenty of fish. It’s pretty dang sweet.

Will there be any fly fishermen there to help you? Are you borrowing gear? If not, spend the dough on a guide for at least a half day to teach you how to cast and line management. Or see if anyone in the area offers casting instruction.

Otherwise...

With fly fishing, you're casting the fly line, not the lure. You get the line all the way behind you first before the forward motion. This requires patience, tempo, and a shorter back and forth motion than you think. The most common mistake for newbs is being too fast with their casting motion and allowing the rod (always call it a rod, no self respecting angler calls it a pole) to go too far back. The old "four count rhythm between 10:00 and 2:00 from A River Runs Through It is actually quite accurate.

phpBB [video]

As implied above, always check the area behind you before you chuck so that you have enough room for your back cast. Be prepared to get the fly and line caught up in streamside vegetation...a lot. It's part of the game.

Flies: There's a little bit of difference between EC(b) and WC(b) hatches but common dry fly patterns like a Parachute Adams and Elk Hair Caddis (sizes 10-16 for small streams) should do fine anywhere and there's a reason they're popular.

Since 90% of what a trout eats is below the surface, nymphs and streamers (wet flies) tend to be the best options and you don't have to worry about presentation and how it floats on the surface. Two of the best nymphs are the Pheasant Tail, and Hare's Ear. Depending on size, they can mimic several different species of bugs. Streamers give an impression of a juvenile crawdad or minnow, or are buggy and colorful enough to piss a fish off and elicit a strike.

Once you get decent at casting,a dry fly and dropper rig is the ticket much of the time. Fish will hit the dry but it also acts as a strike indicator for when a fish takes the nymph.

You want to cast upstream as much as possible. Trout tend to face the direction the current is coming from as that's their food conveyor belt. If you are upstream of the fish they are looking in your direction and will either spook or not bite. Look for pools, depth, undercut banks, and eddies (keep in mind with eddies that if the water is big enough trout can face any direction as the water swirls). Trout like cool water, oxygenated water, cover from predation above, and food. Look for fishy places that offer these things.

Quartering your cast upstream is fine but if you can find a good pool or deep run where you can cast from directly below a fishy looking spot you can get quite close to the fish, cast just above them and let the fly naturally float into their zone of vision.

There is so much more to it (matching a specific hatch vs. impressionistic patterns, mending a floating line, gear etc) but baby steps and patience are important.

If there are any nearby ponds with bass and other spiny rays, that's a great place to practice your casting before you tackle the stream. Small bass poppers are wind resistant and stay in the air a little bit longer plus there's less emphasis on a "quiet presentation". Splash a popper down near a bass and you'll typically get a strike.
Yes, to the experienced fisherman present. Thanks for the info. :thumb: I'm looking forward to a week in the mountains, with no cell service or wifi. :thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:I am taking my pole out to the Missouri today

Rapala F11 #SlayinIt
Well I did qualify it with “self respecting”.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: RE: Re: Hey, CID!

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

kalm wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:I am taking my pole out to the Missouri today

Rapala F11 #SlayinIt
Well I did qualify it with “self respecting”.
I would have walked right through it either way.........with my pole

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:I am taking my pole out to the Missouri today where I'm going to beat it like a monkey and send a present downriver to Flaggy.

Rapala F11 #SlayinIt
FYP
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm