Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Justice Kennedy Retires

Post by BDKJMU »

"....Trump said Friday he’d narrowed his search for a nominee to fill a Supreme Court vacancy to about five finalists, including two women, and will announce his pick on July 9.

A person familiar with the process said Friday that White House officials were focused primarily on five federal appeals court judges -- Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett, Thomas Hardiman, Raymond Kethledge and Amul Thapar....

....It isn’t clear what other woman might be on Trump’s short list. Trump said he may consider as many as seven candidates.

Trump’s time frame could prove optimistic. The FBI is still conducting background checks..

......Hardiman and Thapar were among the group interviewed by Trump before he selected Neil Gorsuch for a vacancy last year. Kethledge was also under consideration for that opening, though he didn’t get an interview with Trump.

Kavanaugh, 53, is a former Kennedy law clerk who serves on the federal appeals court in Washington and has been a source of controversy for two decades. He was a top deputy to independent counsel Ken Starr and drafted much of the report that led to President Bill Clinton’s impeachment.

Kethledge, 51 and from Michigan, is also a former Kennedy clerk, known for pointed opinions. He won praise from conservatives for voting against the Internal Revenue Service in a case involving a Tea Party group that claimed it was singled out for mistreatment on its application for tax-exempt status.

Barrett, who’s in her mid-40s, is a Trump appointee who serves on a federal appeals court in Indiana. During her Senate hearing, Democrats questioned the role her Catholic faith would play on the bench. Barrett’s supporters accused Democrats of imposing a religious test.

Thapar, 49, is also a Trump appointee. He was recommended for his current post by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a fellow Kentuckian. Thapar, whose parents immigrated from India, would be the first Asian-American justice. McConnell said Saturday he had touted Thapar, but acknowledged he had “no idea” who Trump would choose, Associated Press reported.

Hardiman, who turns 53 on July 8, is a former cab driver who was the first in his family to graduate from college. He serves on a federal appeals court in Pennsylvania and has been a staunch supporter of gun rights.

Republican Senator Mike Lee of Utah isn’t among the leading candidates, the person familiar with the discussions said.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ick-july-9
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
You do realize this sounds like a complete 180 from your ranting and raving about the effect of demographics on the electorate, right?

I wonder if NYC or LA will throw any largesse down to your bayous under your preferred system? hmm
No I think that the Democrats will eventually take over because I think their advantage in terms of people who tend to favor them will become too large for the Republicans to be able to prevail through the characteristics of our system that do allow for the minority party to rule. Like for instance, as I noted in another post, I think that unless something changes with the underlying dynamic Texas and Florida will at some point flip to reliably blue during Presidential elections. If and when that happens...and I think it's a matter of when rather than if unless the underlying dynamic whereby non whites vote overwhelmingly Democrat changes...it will be virtually impossible for a Republican to win a Presidential election.

I do think the Senate is designed so that Republicans can remain relevant there for a long, long time. Everybody can see why that is so. But I think the days during which the Republicans can have a situation like they have now, where they are in the minority in terms of public sentiment yet control all three branches of government, are numbered. My expectation will change if I see evidence that Republicans can make significant progress in changing the way non Whites vote. But I haven't seen any indication of that.

Piss off the women and they won't breed with you. That's why there aren't as many Republicans.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote:"....Trump said Friday he’d narrowed his search for a nominee to fill a Supreme Court vacancy to about five finalists, including two women, and will announce his pick on July 9.

A person familiar with the process said Friday that White House officials were focused primarily on five federal appeals court judges -- Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett, Thomas Hardiman, Raymond Kethledge and Amul Thapar....

....It isn’t clear what other woman might be on Trump’s short list. Trump said he may consider as many as seven candidates.

Trump’s time frame could prove optimistic. The FBI is still conducting background checks..

......Hardiman and Thapar were among the group interviewed by Trump before he selected Neil Gorsuch for a vacancy last year. Kethledge was also under consideration for that opening, though he didn’t get an interview with Trump.

Kavanaugh, 53, is a former Kennedy law clerk who serves on the federal appeals court in Washington and has been a source of controversy for two decades. He was a top deputy to independent counsel Ken Starr and drafted much of the report that led to President Bill Clinton’s impeachment.

Kethledge, 51 and from Michigan, is also a former Kennedy clerk, known for pointed opinions. He won praise from conservatives for voting against the Internal Revenue Service in a case involving a Tea Party group that claimed it was singled out for mistreatment on its application for tax-exempt status.

Barrett, who’s in her mid-40s, is a Trump appointee who serves on a federal appeals court in Indiana. During her Senate hearing, Democrats questioned the role her Catholic faith would play on the bench. Barrett’s supporters accused Democrats of imposing a religious test.

Thapar, 49, is also a Trump appointee. He was recommended for his current post by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a fellow Kentuckian. Thapar, whose parents immigrated from India, would be the first Asian-American justice. McConnell said Saturday he had touted Thapar, but acknowledged he had “no idea” who Trump would choose, Associated Press reported.

Hardiman, who turns 53 on July 8, is a former cab driver who was the first in his family to graduate from college. He serves on a federal appeals court in Pennsylvania and has been a staunch supporter of gun rights.

Republican Senator Mike Lee of Utah isn’t among the leading candidates, the person familiar with the discussions said.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ick-july-9
Media reports now saying its down to Kavanaugh, Kethledge, and Barrett..
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote:Kavanaugh, 53, is a former Kennedy law clerk who serves on the federal appeals court in Washington and has been a source of controversy for two decades. He was a top deputy to independent counsel Ken Starr and drafted much of the report that led to President Bill Clinton’s impeachment.
My buddies around here that went to Georgetown Prep are going to be unbearable if they get a second alum in a row on the SCOTUS. :x
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Kavanaugh, 53, is a former Kennedy law clerk who serves on the federal appeals court in Washington and has been a source of controversy for two decades. He was a top deputy to independent counsel Ken Starr and drafted much of the report that led to President Bill Clinton’s impeachment.
My buddies around here that went to Georgetown Prep are going to be unbearable if they get a second alum in a row on the SCOTUS. :x
You better brace yourself then....
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/ ... dds-694906
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote:
89Hen wrote: My buddies around here that went to Georgetown Prep are going to be unbearable if they get a second alum in a row on the SCOTUS. :x
You better brace yourself then....
One of my buddies who went there, said they would have two in a row as soon as Gorsuch was nominated. He called Kavanaugh then.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: You better brace yourself then....
One of my buddies who went there, said they would have two in a row as soon as Gorsuch was nominated. He called Kavanaugh then.
If its Kavanaugh, that would be a 1st. FWIW just looked this up. Of the 113 SCOTUS justices listed by wiki, about 50 have a HS/grade school listed (most of the early justices didn't). No HS with 2. Closest is Warren Burger & harry Blackmun attended the same grade school in MN, but not the same HS.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

I think Kavanaugh will get this seat. They’re saving Barrett for the Ginsburg seat.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ivytalk wrote:I think Kavanaugh will get this seat. They’re saving Barrett for the Ginsburg seat.
If that happens the left will absolutely lose they're fooking minds.. :lol:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:I think Kavanaugh will get this seat. They’re saving Barrett for the Ginsburg seat.
Rand Paul isn't going to vote for him
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
What aspect of K’s judicial philosophy does Paul disagree with? And what about those cows Collins and Murkowski?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
What aspect of K’s judicial philosophy does Paul disagree with? And what about those cows Collins and Murkowski?
He gave broad latitude on Bush assertions of exec privilege

and therefore everybody else's too

he weakened oversight and that's one way to get Paul ill at you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Conservative? - check
Attractive? - check
Younger than me? - check

This one's a no-brainer, folks.

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

93henfan wrote:Conservative? - check
Attractive? - check
Younger than me? - check

This is the one that would get thru the easiest. Dem Senators would look real bad picking on a woman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

css75 wrote:
Attractive? - check
Younger than me? - check

This is the one that would get thru the easiest. Dem Senators would look real bad picking on a woman.

But the dims will squeal “SHE’S A CATHOLIC...”
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

Attractive? - check
Younger than me? - check

I agree. She'd be another Sandra Day O'Connor. I'm fine with that.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Col Hogan wrote:
css75 wrote:

Fossil Feinstein already tried that approach at the appellate level, and it backfired in her fvcking face.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote:
Maybe it will be Kethledge then. Any of the 3 will likely get some deep red state donk votes like Manchin, but can’t count on that..Have to assume will need 50 of 51 conk votes with the Pence tiebreaker, and maybe 50 of 50 if McCain can’t vote..
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

BDKJMU wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Maybe it will be Kethledge then. Any of the 3 will likely get some deep red state donk votes like Manchin, but can’t count on that..Have to assume will need 50 of 51 conk votes with the Pence tiebreaker, and maybe 50 of 50 if McCain can’t vote..

McCain should give up his seat, he is toast

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Col Hogan wrote:
css75 wrote:

No, they'll squeal "SHE WAS NOMINATED BY THE GUY WHO SUCKED OFF PUTIN IN PUBLIC....!"
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Col Hogan wrote:
css75 wrote:

True.

In fact, there's a faction of the left that doesn't care much for Sotomayor for the same reason

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

CID1990 wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:
True.

In fact, there's a faction of the left that doesn't care much for Sotomayor for the same reason

Sotomayor is a CINO...

:coffee:

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Col Hogan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
True.

Sotomayor is a CINO...

:coffee:
But she is in the majority on a ruling or two that were favorable to the church - which caused a bit of huffing and puffing on the left

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Kethledge and Coney Barrett are both at their homes in Michigan and Indiana respectively.

Kavanaugh and Hardiman whereabouts unknown.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

An LSU law professor (JSO’s mentor, I assume) says the Democrats should sue if McConnell brings up Trumps nominee...
If and when McConnell carries through on this promise, Senate Democrats should immediately file a federal lawsuit against him for violating the so-called McConnell Rule. (According to this rule, as McConnell himself stated on Feb. 13, 2016, “The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice.”) The issue — whether the McConnell Rule is now binding precedent — would not be political (and therefore “nonjusticiable”) but rather fundamentally legal (and therefore “justiciable”).
http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/39 ... enforce-it

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Now, I’m not a lawyer, and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I know a “rule” is not law...and the Senate is not subject to Court review of its internal actions...