Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

The Democratic Party...

Post by kalm »

no longer represents the middle class or average americans.

They have zero principles, subvert democracy, and embrace corruption. They are every bit as bad, if not worse than the Republicans. Here's a great example:

:nod:
In the 2018 cycle, not a single Democratic incumbent has yet been defeated by a primary challenge. As The Intercept’s political reporting team has spent the year documenting, the entire party apparatus is designed to ensure that only rich, establishment candidates can win, while doing everything possible to block and destroy the chances of outsider, insurgent candidates (see the superb reporting from my colleague Aída Chávez on Sunday about the obstacles put in front of working-class Democratic primary challenges, often by their own party’s structures).

It’s a party that lacks any vibrancy or movement. It’s stilted, stifled, and ossified. They don’t even allow primary challenges to rotted incumbents who have oozed a suffocating stench of corruption during almost three decades of incumbency in Congress, even if that incumbent has repeatedly blocked the party’s own agenda. As was also demonstrated by Hillary Clinton’s recent endorsement of the corruption-tainted Andrew Cuomo over his progressive primary challenger, Cynthia Nixon, seeking to become New York state’s first female governor: All that matters to them is closing ranks around one another, clinging as tightly as they can to their own prerogatives, preventing anyone from disrupting their ability to greedily feed at the corporate-fueled trough which keeps them fat and satiated.
https://theintercept.com/2018/06/04/dem ... -party-is/
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: The Democratic Party...

Post by Ibanez »

The Democrat Party. It hasn't been Democratic for a while...
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote:The Democrat Party. It hasn't been Democratic for a while...
Was parroting right wing talking points really necessary here? :lol:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:no longer represents the middle class or average americans.
And I no longer can dunk a basketball.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Certainly a huge factor that keeps me being an Independent moderate - both major political parties are embarrassments. Arguing the minutia (sp?) over which one is somehow worse is pointless. It's like both parties have had porta-potties dumped on them and then working out which one smells worse.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
History is your friend.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
Actually, I heard it from a young Democrat running for Congress in Charlotte. :coffee:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote:Certainly a huge factor that keeps me being an Independent moderate - both major political parties are embarrassments. Arguing the minutia (sp?) over which one is somehow worse is pointless. It's like both parties have had porta-potties dumped on them and then working out which one smells worse.
I don't believe that there are many people who align 100% with either party. It's a matter of weighting your issues.
If anyone is in search of finding a platform that aligns perfectly with their personal desires, they better start a new planet.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: And I no longer can dunk a basketball.
History is your friend.
I chose this beach-reading book one summer in the late 80's.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Certainly a huge factor that keeps me being an Independent moderate - both major political parties are embarrassments. Arguing the minutia (sp?) over which one is somehow worse is pointless. It's like both parties have had porta-potties dumped on them and then working out which one smells worse.
I don't believe that there are many people who align 100% with either party. It's a matter of weighting your issues.
If anyone is in search of finding a platform that aligns perfectly with their personal desires, they better start a new planet.
I agree, but it used to be easier to identify with one party or the other - there were enough issues that you agreed with them with and there weren't a lot of issues that pushed you away from a particular party that you could make your peace with the imperfection and lean one way or the other. No political party is ever going to be perfect (well, assuming you're not a zealot), but it's hard to stomach either party these days.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote:
kalm wrote:
Actually, I heard it from a young Democrat running for Congress in Charlotte. :coffee:
Well good for you. I apologize, then. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Actually, I heard it from a young Democrat running for Congress in Charlotte. :coffee:
Well good for you. I apologize, then. :coffee:
I'm with Ibanez. The most vocal detractors of the Democratic Party I hear from are the Bernie-wing Democrats who realize they had the nomination stolen from them in 2016. Those are the folks who sat out enough in the last election to help be part of the reason why Hillary lost. They're still not over it and probably won't ever be until the Democratic Party changes. Granted, they'll never vote Republican (especially not Trump), but they're not going to cave on their ideals and vote for the Democratic establishment as it stands today.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

They have zero principles, subvert democracy, and embrace corruption. They are every bit as bad, if not worse than the Republicans. Here's a great example:

:nod:
In the 2018 cycle, not a single Democratic incumbent has yet been defeated by a primary challenge. As The Intercept’s political reporting team has spent the year documenting, the entire party apparatus is designed to ensure that only rich, establishment candidates can win, while doing everything possible to block and destroy the chances of outsider, insurgent candidates (see the superb reporting from my colleague Aída Chávez on Sunday about the obstacles put in front of working-class Democratic primary challenges, often by their own party’s structures).

It’s a party that lacks any vibrancy or movement. It’s stilted, stifled, and ossified. They don’t even allow primary challenges to rotted incumbents who have oozed a suffocating stench of corruption during almost three decades of incumbency in Congress, even if that incumbent has repeatedly blocked the party’s own agenda. As was also demonstrated by Hillary Clinton’s recent endorsement of the corruption-tainted Andrew Cuomo over his progressive primary challenger, Cynthia Nixon, seeking to become New York state’s first female governor: All that matters to them is closing ranks around one another, clinging as tightly as they can to their own prerogatives, preventing anyone from disrupting their ability to greedily feed at the corporate-fueled trough which keeps them fat and satiated.
https://theintercept.com/2018/06/04/dem ... -party-is/
I mean to be fair, Democratic challengers are at least unseating incumbent Republicans. And the new wave of Democrats are a lot younger and more representative of the nation's demographics. If anything , the DNC is at least learning the importance of not completely abandoning local elections, or specific areas in general.

It'll take some work, but from what I've seen volunteering for the DNC, there's definitely a positive shift happening. But like anything in life, it's tough to get the old guard to re-evaluate how they've done things for many years now...even at the grass-roots level.

But I agree, there's still a lot to fix in the organizational structure.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Yesterday Iowa Democrats voted to nominate as their governor candidate the multimillionaire corporate exec that was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Definitely the party of the middle class and working people!
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Water is still wet, and giraffes are really really tall. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Listen - both parties are shiite. Both parties favor the establishment than some upstart that might have the audacity to be conservative or liberal on a few issues.

Both parties need a revolution
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
Oh please

This is exactly what you were trolling for

Spare us the faux middle of the road schtick... nobody buys it
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:
Oh please

This is exactly what you were trolling for

Spare us the faux middle of the road schtick... nobody buys it
:crybaby:

(On the contrary, I was actually wishing we had a few more establishment donks on here to troll. And yes...America polls with kalm on a majority of the big issues so suck it! :kisswink: )
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Glenn Greenwald. I knew it! :roll:

Good piece! ;)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

It's strange how I feel like right now in America there are more "Straight Ticket" voters than ever
when right now is probably the worst time in American history to be a straight ticket voter

Strange days

:geek:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Chizzang wrote:It's strange how I feel like right now in America there are more "Straight Ticket" voters than ever
when right now is probably the worst time in American history to be a straight ticket voter

Strange days

:nod: :nod:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Chizzang wrote:It's strange how I feel like right now in America there are more "Straight Ticket" voters than ever

Strange days

Well Kim Kardashian just convinced President Donald Trump to commute a great-grandmother serving a life sentence for a non-violent drug charge. That's awesome, but read what I wrote again.

Strange indeed. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:

Strange days

Well Kim Kardashian just convinced President Donald Trump to commute a great-grandmother serving a life sentence for a non-violent drug charge. That's awesome, but read what I wrote again.

Quick - someone get Snoop Dog in the Oval Office to get legalized weed!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:

Strange days

A famous, private citizen got the POTUS to right an injustice. That actually sounds pretty damn good.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:
History is your friend.
I chose this beach-reading book one summer in the late 80's.

https://youtu.be/XNwE02gBBXI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk