Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Re: 2018 SCOTUS cases

Post by Chizzang »

The funny thing about this whole debate is I don't think I ever said "city"
I said "Major Metropolitan" of which there will be about 20 in the US if you count 3 Mil and up
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Cool. Never considered somewhere like Boone, NC to be a city. Always thought of it as a decent-sized town. Much less far smaller places.

The "city of Boone" still sounds weird to me, but I'll allow it
It's really simple: City of Boone = COB. Corn comes on Cobs. Moonshine comes from Corn. Therefore Boone = Moonshine
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:Cool. Never considered somewhere like Boone, NC to be a city. Always thought of it as a decent-sized town. Much less far smaller places.

It's really simple: City of Boone = COB. Corn comes on Cobs. Moonshine comes from Corn. Therefore Boone = Moonshine
That’s some PhD level thinking there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

The Town of Boone identifies itself as the Town of Boone. Works for me.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

You must have been too busy blowing Rock to see the signs

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:

Actually that could go in a totally different direction considering the primary use for dried cobs

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:

Rock who? :?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Rock who? :?
That’s an old Jim Nabors joke...

What do North Carolina and Jim Nabors have in common?

Blowing Rock
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Supreme Court says states can remove voters who skip elections, ignore warnings

WASHINGTON -- Failing to vote can lead to getting knocked off voter registration rolls, a deeply divided Supreme Court ruled Monday in a decision that likely will help Republicans and hurt Democrats.

The court's conservative majority ruled 5-4 that Ohio did not violate federal laws by purging voters who failed to vote for six years and did not confirm their residency -- considered the strictest such law in the nation.

The ruling protects similar laws in six states, including several electing governors or U.S. senators this fall. They are Pennsylvania, Georgia, Oregon, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Montana.

Civil rights groups had challenged Ohio's procedure for cleaning up voter registration rolls because it disproportionately affects minorities, the poor and people with disabilities. The Trump administration reversed the position taken by its predecessor and sided with Ohio......”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 587316002/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Systems which don't allow same day registration shouldn't have a place in modern society.

If you're eligible to vote and want to vote, there should be zero hoops to do so.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

∞∞∞ wrote:Systems which don't allow same day registration shouldn't have a place in modern society.

If you're eligible to vote and want to vote, there should be zero hoops to do so.

As long as they can provide proof of citizenship, I agree.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:Systems which don't allow same day registration shouldn't have a place in modern society.

Agreed. Provide proof of citizenship and go vote.

I honestly don't know why the left wants non citizens to have a say. I mean, I understand they selfish reasons. I guess those are the only ones.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Only proof of citizenship I have is a passport. Most Americans don't have that.

Make proof of citizenship free and easy to obtain and Id be on board.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Only proof of citizenship I have is a passport. Most Americans don't have that.

You don't have a drivers license? A birth certificate? Because you had to have both of those to get a passport...
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Drivers licenses don't prove citizenship. Wife has a driver's license but can't vote. I'm sure she'llbe losing that privilege before long, though. :lol: ;)

I have not had or needed a birth certificate in decades and I don't have one. You don't need one to renew a passport.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Drivers licenses don't prove citizenship. Wife has a driver's license but can't vote. I'm sure she'llbe losing that privilege before long, though. :lol: ;)

I have not had or needed a birth certificate in decades and I don't have one. You don't need one to renew a passport.
You don't need it to renew but you need it for the initial. And you can get a certified copy of your BC from whatever hospital you were born at (or that county records office, not sure which)...they're out there. I'd highly recommend having that document available. :nod:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Again, haven't needed one in all of my adult years. If it becomes necessary to vote - I'll get one, though
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Again, haven't needed one in all of my adult years. If it becomes necessary to vote - I'll get one, though
Much like a passport, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:

Agreed. Provide proof of citizenship and go vote.

I honestly don't know why the left wants non citizens to have a say. I mean, I understand they selfish reasons. I guess those are the only ones.
Agreed, this should be easy to do, but both parties have their own niche reasons for not wanting to solve this so we have the system that we have. But in the grand scheme of things, though, even today, it's really easy to be able to vote, you just have to go out and do it. We tend to be a tad lazy as a country, though.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Why does basic human nature escape you so easily?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote:Supreme Court says states can remove voters who skip elections, ignore warnings

WASHINGTON -- Failing to vote can lead to getting knocked off voter registration rolls, a deeply divided Supreme Court ruled Monday in a decision that likely will help Republicans and hurt Democrats.

The court's conservative majority ruled 5-4 that Ohio did not violate federal laws by purging voters who failed to vote for six years and did not confirm their residency -- considered the strictest such law in the nation.

The ruling protects similar laws in six states, including several electing governors or U.S. senators this fall. They are Pennsylvania, Georgia, Oregon, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Montana.

Civil rights groups had challenged Ohio's procedure for cleaning up voter registration rolls because it disproportionately affects minorities, the poor and people with disabilities. The Trump administration reversed the position taken by its predecessor and sided with Ohio......”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 587316002/
I think this is the first big decision where one can say that it's likely that the Republicans denying Obama a Supreme Court nomination mattered. And it IS big.

I think both sides have ulterior motives. I think the Republicans do want to stop people who are legally eligible to vote from voting. I think they do want to cut voting among minorities. And I also think Democrats want to have people who are not eligible to vote voting.

This was a fairly big win for Republican vote suppression efforts and a fairly big loss for Democrat illegal voting efforts.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW, I think that if people had to provide actual proof of citizenship in order to vote most people who vote now couldn't vote.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:Drivers licenses don't prove citizenship. Wife has a driver's license but can't vote. I'm sure she'llbe losing that privilege before long, though. :lol: ;)

You don't need it to renew but you need it for the initial. And you can get a certified copy of your BC from whatever hospital you were born at (or that county records office, not sure which)...they're out there. I'd highly recommend having that document available. :nod:
Vital Records. Usually your state DHEC, like in SC.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Only proof of citizenship I have is a passport. Most Americans don't have that.

Like a REAL ID?

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote:BTW, I think that if people had to provide actual proof of citizenship in order to vote most people who vote now couldn't vote.
That’s the point, Einstein.